DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Phil Collins vs. Peter Gabriel

atrium
03-14-12, 10:44 AM
I'm wondering where your guys's preference lies, both in Genesis and solo.

Me, I'm going with Gabriel for both Genesis and solo. I can't stand Collins, very generic pop music and I think he ruined Genesis, which was a very unique artistic driven group at the time. Your thoughts?

cungar
03-14-12, 11:00 AM
Between 1976 and 1979 Genesis led by Phil Collins put on some of the best concerts in arena rock and produced a few great albums. Collins drum duets with Chester Thompson were some of the most exciting performances I've ever seen. Other than that and his tenure drumming with Peter Gabriel led Genesis I have no use for his music. He put out one good solo album and decades of crappy ones.

Genesis led by Gabriel and his solo albums is some of the most creative and interesting music this side of David Bowie. Despite some lackluster albums, I have little to say bad about him. A huge talent.

Hiro11
03-14-12, 11:13 AM
They're not really comparable. I think it's clear that Gabriel has had a better solo career artistically. Also, Genesis was better when he was in the band (I'm a particular sucker for "Foxtrot").

Collins is obviously much more pop oriented but he also did some interesting stuff and demonstrated real talent. "No Jacket Required" is a terrific pop album and "Face Value" has moments that stand up. Also, I think Collins' work in Genesis after Gabriel was in general pretty solid. "Duke" (featuring Collins' best pop song ever, IMO "Misunderstanding") and "Abacab" are both really good albums. But that's about it, everything else he did is pretty much crap.

One note: people tend to forget that Collins did have legitimate experimental musical chops. He did a lot of cool stuff in the 70s with Eno and a bunch of other projects. Some of his drumming on early Genesis albums is inventive. Also his signature noise-gate drum sound sounded radical and ended up ruling the eighties (think of the rocking drums on Frida's classic 80s pop tune "There's Something Going On").

conscience
03-14-12, 11:38 AM
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/547165-phil-collins-peter-gabriel.html

kd5
03-14-12, 12:38 PM
I can't choose between the two, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I loved Genesis with Peter Gabriel, saw the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway concert in Cleveland, Ohio back in 1974 (they also performed a lot of their older material complete with costumes like Watcher Of The Skies, Supper's Ready, etc.). I was royally pissed when Gabriel left Genesis, it seemed to me like he took the magic with him when he left, although Trick Of The Tail was pretty damned good (1st LP without Gabriel), it just wasn't the same without him. While Abacab was pretty good, it seemed to me like Genesis without Gabriel started leaning towards pop (ugh...), while Gabriel's music lost my interest after So. They're both outstanding musicians, which is why I really can't choose between the two. -kd5-

Numanoid
03-14-12, 12:54 PM
In my music collection, I have everything Peter Gabriel has ever recorded, and zero Phil Collins albums or songs (though I do enjoy some of his work). I think that indicates where my preference lies.

Hokeyboy
03-14-12, 03:11 PM
http://media.salon.com/2003/08/big_time_loser-293x307.jpg

Phil Collins is the motherfucking Anti-Christ!

cungar
03-14-12, 03:42 PM
I can't choose between the two, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I loved Genesis with Peter Gabriel, saw the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway concert in Cleveland, Ohio back in 1974 (they also performed a lot of their older material complete with costumes like Watcher Of The Skies, Supper's Ready, etc.). :bow:

Wow I would have given anything to see that show.

hdtv00
03-14-12, 07:29 PM
Phil Collins

HUG-H
03-14-12, 08:16 PM
I learned about Genesis through the Phil Collins stuff like "Follow You Follow Me" and songs from Duke and Abacab, and hadn't known that much about the earlier lineup with Peter Gabriel until I saw the live 1973 LP in a cutout bin sometime later. I didn't even hear the Gabriel stuff until after I was acquainted with his solo music form the 3rd album on.

I saw them in '86 at MSG, and it was a spectacular show. It was actually quite a treat to hear "Apocalypse 9/8" and "As sure as eggs is eggs"--Better a little Supper's Ready than none, but I understand they were still playing it in its entirety up until '82.

Ginwen
03-14-12, 08:54 PM
Solo: Peter Gabriel
In Genesis: I don't like either.

Apple Gooncha
03-14-12, 10:24 PM
I like them both. Overall, I prefer Gabriel. After the 80s (and really, outside of his first 3 solo albums) Collins doesn't have a lot that impresses me. I love 70s Genesis, as I'm a huge prog rock fan, but I also love the 80s era. Duke, Abacab, Genesis, and Invisible Touch are all excellent, IMO. We Can't Dance is alright, too.

Also, Collins played drums (at least on a few tracks) to some other albums I really enjoyed, including Robert Fripp's Exposure and Peter Gabriel's third solo album.

Still, while I don't love all of Gabriel's solo material, I enjoy a good chunk of it and can appreciate what he does.

cungar
03-15-12, 09:36 AM
I saw them in '86 at MSG, and it was a spectacular show. It was actually quite a treat to hear "Apocalypse 9/8" and "As sure as eggs is eggs"--Better a little Supper's Ready than none, but I understand they were still playing it in its entirety up until '82.

I saw them do the whole Supper's Ready at the LA Forum in 1981. One of the highlights of my concert going history.

Hiro11
03-15-12, 09:52 AM
I saw them do the whole Supper's Ready at the LA Forum in 1981. One of the highlights of my concert going history.Holy crap! They must have been exhausted after that.

cungar
03-15-12, 02:15 PM
Holy crap! They must have been exhausted after that.

I remember the audience sort of losing interest around the middle part. My girlfriend was amazed I knew evey word.

HUG-H
03-15-12, 02:48 PM
I remember the audience sort of losing interest around the middle part. My girlfriend was amazed I knew evey word.

If they'd ever seen the Gabriel version, they would have had a much better association with it, perhaps.

Hehe, when you said your girlfriend was amazed you knew all the words, I thought of this for some reason:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aInne49-DcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wendersfan
03-15-12, 05:22 PM
Phil Collins was a better drummer than Peter Gabriel.

cungar
03-15-12, 06:47 PM
If they'd ever seen the Gabriel version, they would have had a much better association with it, perhaps.

I bet most of the people int he LA Forum that night didn't even know Gabriel used to be in the band.

HUG-H
03-15-12, 08:10 PM
I bet most of the people int he LA Forum that night didn't even know Gabriel used to be in the band.

Yes, that was where I was coming from, they probably had no point of reference.

Supermallet
03-15-12, 11:22 PM
Peter Gabriel is my second favorite rock artist ever (after David Bowie), so that's the obvious answer.

However, A Trick of the Tail, Duke, Genesis, and Invisible Touch are all really great Genesis albums that have plenty of interesting compositional and sonic details. I still think Genesis were better with Gabriel, but they still made unique albums with Collins. Can't stand We Can't Dance, though.

As for his solo work, Face Value is an album with many inspired moments ("In The Air Tonight," "Thunder And Lightning," "The Roof Is Leaking," "You Know What I Mean") and No Jacket Required is quintessential 80's pop. Also "Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)" was the number one song when I was born, so I'll never be able to quit Phil.

Falc04
03-16-12, 08:08 PM
Huge fan of both artists, but always felt Gabriel was the more talented of the two. I like most of everything Gabriel and Collins did with Genesis, and also most of their solo material. Highlights for me include:

Genesis (Gabriel)
The Lamb (best album ever made)

Genesis (Collins)
Duke (Inspired release, after the mediocre "...And then there were three")

Gabriel (solo)
Security (his masterpiece)

Collins (solo)
Face Value (the depths of despair has been know to produce some truly great works of art)

And a special nod to Phil's 1993 Both Sides. To me, an under-rated gem, in which he not only wrote all the music and took on production duties, but also played all the instruments.

JeffTheAlpaca
03-18-12, 05:28 PM
Gabriel since he never became as cheesy as Phil Collins late in his career.

I liked Collins solo work in the 80's

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xLpfbcXTeo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kurupt
03-21-12, 06:07 AM
Gabriel on both counts.

madcougar
03-30-12, 11:43 AM
Collins with Genesis
Gabriel solo

JeffTheAlpaca
04-02-12, 05:50 PM
Phil Collins brought us Lily Collins the star of Mirror Mirror

http://i2.listal.com/image/719555/600full-lily-collins.jpg

Hokeyboy
04-02-12, 08:26 PM
Early morning dew! :up:

Cardiff Giant11
04-16-12, 10:32 PM
I like both as solo artists though I like Gabriel much more. As for Genesis, I'd have to say Collins by default strictly because I only know Gabriel's solo work and nothing of his time with Genesis.

This seems like a great place to ask:What's the best Gabriel era Genesis album to start with? Is there one that's more similar to his solo work? If so I think that would be the one I'd probably want to start with.

Numanoid
04-16-12, 10:58 PM
Phil Collins was a better drummer than Peter Gabriel.True, but I bet most people don't know that Gabriel began his career as a drummer.

astrochimp
04-16-12, 11:22 PM
This seems like a great place to ask:What's the best Gabriel era Genesis album to start with? Is there one that's more similar to his solo work? If so I think that would be the one I'd probably want to start with.

I would recommend just going backwards from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway(the last Genesis album with Peter). I'd be shocked if anyone who enjoys his solo stuff didn't like Lamb.

The Antipodean
04-21-12, 07:58 PM
Try Foxtrot or Selling England by the Pound - I've never warmed to Lamb as much as these two Genesis albums myself, Lamb is a bit TOO overblown. "Supper's Ready" on Foxtrot may be my fave Gabriel Genesis song.

Torchur317
05-08-12, 03:35 PM
Phil Collins was WAY better, not a big fan of PG....

atrium
05-08-12, 07:15 PM
Phil Collins was WAY better, not a big fan of PG....
Would love to see some actual REASONING for your opinion...

"I Know What I Like" w/ PG :thumbsup::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_EYU75uhKk&list=FLQ7Cw6HuZCS3PDJ3_PZRytQ&index=5&feature=plpp_video

and Phil Collins :thmbsdwn::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqNKlk8iSi4&feature=related

As is expected, the Phil Collins version is bland and boring. He totally butchers a great song.

Cardiff Giant11
05-08-12, 07:28 PM
It's funny I am listening to a live version the Carpet Crawlers I found on youtube with Collins singing. I like Collins but he just can't sing the songs Gabriel does. He's much better off singing songs wirrten specifically with his voice in mind.

cungar
05-08-12, 07:47 PM
It's funny I am listening to a live version the Carpet Crawlers I found on youtube with Collins singing. I like Collins but he just can't sing the songs Gabriel does. He's much better off singing songs wirrten specifically with his voice in mind.

His versions of Firth of Fifth, Musical Box, Cinema Show, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Supper's Ready on Seconds out are what made me fall in love with early Genesis. Brilliant performances.

ken_572002
05-08-12, 09:06 PM

You bring up a good point. I'm currently listening to Wind And Wuthering, and the songs fit Collin's voice like a glove. When I hear him do some of the early Genesis stuff, improvising a few of the original lines, I'm just not that impressed. Although, that said, I did see the band perform Supper's Ready in 1982, and it was absolutely fantastic.

Torchur317
05-10-12, 02:30 AM
Would love to see some actual REASONING for your opinion...
I'll give you a pretty simple answer. I don't like PG's voice or vocals at all. I'm a huge Genesis fan (Collins) & I tried to give him a chance even tho I thought he ruined their earlier stuff but I never liked anything he did solo either.

chino77
05-11-12, 12:46 AM
as much as i like to think i hate phil collins, everytime his early solo stuff or genesis with him on vocals comes on the radio, i think to myself "i actually like his stuff". also im a fan of 70's prog (king crimson, roxy music, yes, rush) and i can not stand gabriel era genesis. not sure why, i guess i just dont get it.

Alvis
05-12-12, 09:22 PM
Genesis album by album thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/581851-album-album-genesis.html

JeffTheAlpaca
05-26-12, 04:46 AM
Gabriel is going to do a new tour where he plays all the cuts from So.

In celebration of the 25th anniversary of Peter Gabriel’s So, Gabriel will head out on a tour where So songs are the main focus. His website suggests that he’ll play the songs “back to front” — so “In Your Eyes” first — but I suppose we’ll see what really goes down. Scope the currently announced tour dates below.

06/29 – Kent, UK @ Hop Farm Music Festival
09/16 – Quebec City, QC @ Colisee Pepsi
09/18 – Montreal, QC @ Bell Center
09/19 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
09/21 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Centre
09/23 – Wantaugh, NY @ Nikon at Jones Beach
09/24 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
09/26 – Detroit, MI @ Palace of Auburn Hills
09/27 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
09/30 – Denver, CO @ Red Rocks
10/02 – San Jose, CA @ HP Pavilion
10/05 – Las Vegas, NV @ Planet Hollywood Showroom
10/06 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
10/09 – Santa Barbara, CA @ Santa Barbara County Bowl

http://stereogum.com/1039072/peter-gabriel-announces-so-tour/tour-dates/

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb0slyVIZH1qbzyjwo1_400.jpg

The Bus
05-26-12, 11:39 AM
I don't even know what a sussudio is.

JesseCuster
05-29-12, 06:46 AM
I think it's apples to oranges. Gabriel was an avant garde/experimental influenced artist whose work with Genesis was in that vein. It ranged from really good to decent to eh. Collins was a pop influenced artist whose work with Genesis was in that vein. It ranged from really good to decent to eh. Genesis was probably more successful commercially with Collins because of the nature of his "pop" ular music leanings.

cungar
05-29-12, 09:28 AM
Genesis was probably more successful commercially with Collins because of the nature of his "pop" ular music leanings.

Probably?

Cardiff Giant11
06-03-12, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the news about the tour, might be able to make it to the Boston show.

Going back to the whole Collins/Gabriel thing, I still put myself firmly in the camp that I like Gabriel better especially as a solo artist. That's not to say I dislike Collins, in fact I like him quite a lot (and like a lot of the Collins era Genesis songs). They're both just different types of artists and vocalists.

I find I can listen to Gabriel's solo albums in their entirety over and over where as with Collins it's usually specific songs that I'm in the mood for.

Having said that, I really like the 1999 version of The Carpet Crawlers where Gabriel is singing lead vocals and Collins is harmonizing and sings his own part later. They work really well together.

bunkaroo
06-04-12, 03:05 PM
Just got my tickets for the Chicago show. Forgot they went on sale today so of course missed out on the floor seats but got 9th row along the side - face value $189 each!

:jawdrop:

cungar
06-04-12, 03:55 PM
Just got my tickets for the Chicago show. Forgot they went on sale today so of course missed out on the floor seats but got 9th row along the side - face value $189 each!

:jawdrop:

My days of going to concerts by big name classic rock artists is pretty much over. It's getting ridiculous.

bunkaroo
06-04-12, 04:37 PM
I've never seen him live and Tony Levin is one of my biggest influences on bass so I had to pull the trigger this time. Plus he tours fairly infrequently these days. I'm hoping a lot of this money goes back into the show.

But yeah it's getting terrible.

Cardiff Giant11
06-30-12, 10:52 AM
I saw 3 additional dates were added. I was going to try to go to Jones Beach or Boston but both being on non weekend nights was going to make it tough for me. I then saw they added a date on a Saturday night at Mohegan Sun in CT so I immediately bought tickets. Super pumped for it this will be my first time seeing him live but from everything I've heard and seen he is an amazing live singer.

slowcloud
07-15-12, 07:27 AM
I've never seen him live and Tony Levin is one of my biggest influences on bass so I had to pull the trigger this time. Plus he tours fairly infrequently these days. I'm hoping a lot of this money goes back into the show.

But yeah it's getting terrible.

I remember getting close-up floor seats for Us tour: $45. And I thought that was expensive then, in 1993. That was also a very nice production.

slowcloud
07-15-12, 07:31 AM
Peter Gabriel is my second favorite rock artist ever (after David Bowie), so that's the obvious answer.

Back on topic, though... (So tour needs its own thread) ... I saw this line, and I thought you were quoting me, Supermallet, but forgot the quotes. So ditto that!

But, yes, I do think Face Value is amazing (especially the section with "Roof is Leaking"), but otherwise I don't care about Collins' solo output.