Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Dark Shadows: The Complete Series (4/10/2012)

Boba Fett
03-14-12, 12:16 AM
131 discs, 1,225 episodes, limited to 2500 copies.

http://www.mpihomevideo.com/Store/Detail.asp?ProdID=10933

smurr05
03-14-12, 01:16 PM
Yeah I saw this and ordered one at the cheapest place I could find which was overstock.com for $389.00 shipped! I asked them if I could pay for upgraded, tracked shipping because of the cost and limited # of these and they were nice enough to upgrade me to UPS ground shipping at no extra cost to me! Can't wait for this set!!!:D

Steve
03-14-12, 01:29 PM
This brings back memories. I actually lived close to the actress Grayson Hall who played Dr. Julia Hoffman on the show. She used to come over to the house and would help me put together the Dark Shadow trading cards (if you had all the pieces, they would form a huge portrait of Barnabas Collins).

Of course, I was a toddler then. But even back then, I didn't think the show was done very well. They had a 'one take-heck with the anachronistic elements!" approach that surprised me even then. 17th century characters wearing 20th century watches, etc. My favorite consistent goof was there were so many incarnations of the same characters portrayed in different times, that they frequently referred to each other with the wrong-time names (e.g. a character was called John in the 20th century, but played someone named Fred in the 16th century, but in a 20th century episode he was called Fred). Tons of boom mike mistakes, flubs of dialogues, etc. I don't think there are any outtakes from this show!

Yet, this paved the way for horror themed soaps like Buffy, Angel,etc. Back in the 70's to have a soap opera with werewolves and vampires was very exciting! So I am eternally grateful for Dark Shadows.

At least that is how I remember it.. I may buy one or 2 discs individually, tho.. just for nostalgia.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
03-14-12, 01:35 PM
Looks like they raised the price at overstock.

edit: If you do a search, you see the old price in the search result but when you click on it, it's higher. I took a shot with an order and asked if I could get it at the cheaper price they're showing and they did it but I think I was really lucky they gave it to me.

The set is over 15 lbs. the fact you got free upgraded shipping is amazing. That shipping was expensive. Over $40 if I remember right.

GoldenWheels
03-14-12, 02:38 PM
Good LORD! One of the most impressive sets I have ever seen!

Shannon Nutt
03-14-12, 03:22 PM
This is one of those sets I'd consider if it ever showed up half-off at Amazon...otherwise, as much as I might be interested, I keep telling myself "Will you ever have time to watch ALL those?" Sadly the answer is no. I've got season sets now I may not live to see all of, and those are only about 100 (or less) episodes per set. :)

SkullOrchard
03-14-12, 04:49 PM
I'm concerned about how the discs are packaged. If I invest this much in a set, I don't want scratched discs.

03-14-12, 06:47 PM
Amaray cases

smurr05
03-14-12, 08:07 PM
Amaray cases

Yep 22 to be exact!

smurr05
03-14-12, 08:13 PM
This brings back memories. I actually lived close to the actress Grayson Hall who played Dr. Julia Hoffman on the show. She used to come over to the house and would help me put together the Dark Shadow trading cards (if you had all the pieces, they would form a huge portrait of Barnabas Collins).

Of course, I was a toddler then. But even back then, I didn't think the show was done very well. They had a 'one take-heck with the anachronistic elements!" approach that surprised me even then. 17th century characters wearing 20th century watches, etc. My favorite consistent goof was there were so many incarnations of the same characters portrayed in different times, that they frequently referred to each other with the wrong-time names (e.g. a character was called John in the 20th century, but played someone named Fred in the 16th century, but in a 20th century episode he was called Fred). Tons of boom mike mistakes, flubs of dialogues, etc. I don't think there are any outtakes from this show!

Yet, this paved the way for horror themed soaps like Buffy, Angel,etc. Back in the 70's to have a soap opera with werewolves and vampires was very exciting! So I am eternally grateful for Dark Shadows.

At least that is how I remember it.. I may buy one or 2 discs individually, tho.. just for nostalgia.

Interesting...I remember meeting David Selby at an autograph signing in my home of CT. at a Sears in West Hartford no less. I too was younger then but remember being kind of actually being afraid of him...kind of sort of! Ah kids!!! Also met the great Vincent Price at the same place-different time obviously but he was hosting an art show that my mom took me to. From what I remember Price was a huge art lover and collector- Still cannot wait for this set and re-live those after school times @ 4:30pm-:D

MTRodaba2468
03-14-12, 11:36 PM
One of my friends is a big Dark Shadows fan. She started buying the season sets from my store, but when the news of this came out, she decided to wait for the giant set...

rw2516
03-15-12, 06:00 AM

Given the look of the show, I always assumed it went out live like other soaps in the 60s. At least in the early years.

Shannon Nutt
03-15-12, 09:16 AM
Given the look of the show, I always assumed it went out live like other soaps in the 60s. At least in the early years.

It wasn't live, but it was "live to tape"...kind of the way a lot of talk shows are done these days. Basically, if something when wrong they just left it in with no re-takes. They'd only redo a scene if something went HORRIBLY wrong.

smurr05
03-15-12, 10:09 AM
I guess they are jamming more discs in a case than in the original releases. The orig releases had 26 collections with Barnabas and 8 DS Beginning collections.

I haven't seen an episode of this in almost 40 years. It's almost a blind buy, but if it ever gets below 300, I will snatch it up. I really want this ... but we'll see.

Hope you make it that long to see that price! With only 2500 of these being sold, I sense that since this series has such a large cult following these may just become history real fast! Best of luck to you though-

Steve
03-16-12, 09:19 PM
I just saw the trailer for the Dark Shadows movie. It's a comedy!

Not what I was expecting, but with Burton and Depp it might have some success and with it, a renewed interest in the original series.

Who knows - maybe they will redo it as a new TV series.

It happened to Battlestar Gallatica. it could happen to this...

windom
03-17-12, 12:37 AM
Are you aware there was short-lived remake of the series done in 1991? I quite liked it, but I don't think many other people did. Of course, I never saw any of the original series to compare it to. It is available on DVD.

smurr05
03-17-12, 08:12 AM
I keep seing people mentioning that the release date has been pushed back but I emailed MPI Home Entertainment and they said that the relase date is still 4/10/2012! Wonder where folks are getting their info of a change in release dates???

Guru Askew
03-17-12, 12:09 PM
I keep seing people mentioning that the release date has been pushed back but I emailed MPI Home Entertainment and they said that the relase date is still 4/10/2012! Wonder where folks are getting their info of a change in release dates???

TVshowsonDVD got it from an MPI press release.

For what it's worth, MPI's official site doesn't even offer this product for sale so I wouldn't put too much stock in what you read in an email that was probably written by a customer service rep.

bboisvert
03-21-12, 11:21 PM
So... DVDPlanet claims that they've now shipped me my copy.

That seems incredibly (and suspiciously) early to me. But we'll see.

SterlingBen
03-22-12, 06:03 AM
This is one of those things I was always kind of pft about when it comes to BR, why not put this entire set in SD on 13 BR discs or uprezed on 20-30?

Shannon Nutt
03-22-12, 03:26 PM
Are you aware there was short-lived remake of the series done in 1991? I quite liked it, but I don't think many other people did. Of course, I never saw any of the original series to compare it to. It is available on DVD.

Ben Cross played Barnabas, right? I remember the show, but didn't care for it all that much.

MR Round
03-23-12, 01:11 AM
If I wanted to start watching this would I start with the beginning collection or the volume one collection?

SkullOrchard
03-23-12, 01:24 AM
If I wanted to start watching this would I start with the beginning collection or the volume one collection?
That would depend on whether or not you want to start watching the show from the very beginning or begin with the Barnabas episodes.

(the central character of Barnabas Collins wasn't introduced until episode # 210)

bboisvert
03-23-12, 11:01 AM

Your call. The first 209 episodes ("The Beginning") have very little supernatural stuff -- just a little bit with ghosts and magic... it starts off as more of a typical gothic soap, with family drama, blackmail, etc.

The Barnabas episodes start with Volume One, and that's when most people get interested in the show. You can get caught up quickly enough starting there if you want... I prefer to start at the actual beginning.

Peep
03-23-12, 07:56 PM
Are there any places where you can still order this? What are the best prices still available?

Damed
03-23-12, 08:11 PM
Are there any places where you can still order this? What are the best prices still available?

Surprisingly, it would seem Target has the best price

http://www.target.com/p/Dark-Shadows-The-Complete-Original-Series-Limited-Edition-131-Discs/-/A-14009955?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM|14009955&CPNG=&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=14009955

03-23-12, 10:02 PM
Surprisingly, it would seem Target has the best price

http://www.target.com/p/Dark-Shadows-The-Complete-Original-Series-Limited-Edition-131-Discs/-/A-14009955?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM|14009955&CPNG=&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=14009955

Word of warning, if you order from Target be prepared to have a backup plan. Items that start showing up out of stock at other stores still show up as in stock at Target but they don't actually have them. Then you get sucked into an endless loop of "order delayed" emails.

Since MPI removed the order link and overstock removed the item completely, I wouldn't trust Target.

Family Video has it for a buck more and two more for shipping. I'd go with them.

smurr05
03-24-12, 07:47 AM
I just did a few searches and the only places I could find that still had copies for $ale were Deep Discount and DVD Planet and their price jumped by over $100.00 since last week and a half!! SO glad I pre-ordered 1 early @ $389.00 shipped. Called MPI Home Entertainment and they still insist this is going to be released on 4/10/12 as was 1rst announced. Looks like these sets will probably be history by the relase date!

bboisvert
03-24-12, 11:53 AM
So... DVDPlanet claims that they've now shipped me my copy.

That seems incredibly (and suspiciously) early to me. But we'll see.

Yup, they shipped it. Whatever the release date is, I now have this in hand.

#470/2500.

It's a huge set -- I'll start peeking at it later in the weekend.

DVD Guy ATL
03-24-12, 02:00 PM
You can still get this at importcds.com for about $383 shipped... can't vouch for their service but they did ship my order the same day I placed it.

03-24-12, 04:36 PM
You can still get this at importcds.com for about $383 shipped... can't vouch for their service

Slow shipping

smurr05
03-24-12, 05:36 PM

#470/2500.

LUCKY!!! Man I wish overstock would ship early! I did pre-order a grateful dead 14 Disc box set from Shout Factory due out 4/17/12 BUT got a shipping notice this AM from them! Come on Overstock...Mail these out already!:D

smurr05
03-24-12, 05:40 PM
You can still get this at importcds.com for about $383 shipped... can't vouch for their service but they did ship my order the same day I placed it.

Funny I just checked that site since I just got "Charmed" The deluxe edition via fedex from them this afternoon BUT no matter how many time I searched, I could not find the Dark Shadows set on their website! Wierd but good for you I guess- I have never had a problem with their shipping! My orders have always been shipped within 24 hours and at my door in 4 - 5 days! I have ordered quite a few times from this excellent site IMO!:D

DVD Guy ATL
03-24-12, 05:45 PM
I could not find the Dark Shadows set on their website! Here you go. (http://www.importcds.com/Movies/2372026/Dark-Shadows-Dark-Shadows-The-Complete-Original-Series-%5BLimited-Edition%5D-%5B131-Discs%5D-DVD)

smurr05
03-24-12, 06:14 PM
Thanks! Definately the best price I have seen on this next to Overstock. Would love to go with import CD's offer considering they are shipping already but Overstock already has my money and upgraded my shipping to UPS for free so I am just gonna have to wait this one out. DAMN!!! I should email Overstock and let them know that other Vendors are already shipping so why can't they BUT my wife says they would probably get pissed off and cancel my order as I've emailed them so many times about a change in shipping and they nicely agreed. DONT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN!!!! I am just so stoked to get this set!!! Happy for y'all who have recieved it already, or will recieve it
early!:banana: ENJOY!

03-24-12, 09:33 PM
LUCKY!!! Man I wish overstock would ship early! I did pre-order a grateful dead 14 Disc box set from Shout Factory due out 4/17/12 BUT got a shipping notice this AM from them! Come on Overstock...Mail these out already!:D

overstock just shipped mine :)

smurr05
03-25-12, 06:18 AM

Oh man now I'm really Hopin! Excellent news Bro! Come on Overstock!!!:D

SkullOrchard
03-25-12, 02:42 PM
Ordered a set from Importcds.

smurr05
03-26-12, 06:37 AM

Hey honestly Im happy for you and I guess you are pretty lucky as I emailed Overstock...mentioned that someone on this forum mentioned said that overstock shipped their copy as had a few other vendors but I got an email back from someone in the warehouse there who insisted none of their orders had been shipped yet!-screwy-Yours must have definately slipped through the cracks...Yes I'm jealous and anxious to get mine...enjoy!:D

bsmith
03-26-12, 12:50 PM
Also just ordered a set from Importcds. Thanks for the tip. I thought at this point i was going to have to go through Target since most of the other standard discount places are out of stock. Targets price isn't that bad at $414 but paying tax jumps it to $438. This saved me $55.

SkullOrchard
03-26-12, 07:40 PM
For those who ordered from Importcds, please post your thoughts on how well they packaged your order after receiving it. For a 15 pound set that costs nearly $400.00, I hope it's well packaged.

smurr05
03-27-12, 06:28 AM

#470/2500.

Just curious here...Did the set come packaged in just the 'Coffin' box or was there another outside box-
thanks-

03-27-12, 12:07 PM
Hey honestly Im happy for you and I guess you are pretty lucky as I emailed Overstock...mentioned that someone on this forum mentioned said that overstock shipped their copy as had a few other vendors but I got an email back from someone in the warehouse there who insisted none of their orders had been shipped yet!-screwy-Yours must have definately slipped through the cracks...Yes I'm jealous and anxious to get mine...enjoy!:D

My tracking number finally started showing something, so it must have slipped through the cracks :)

bsmith
03-27-12, 01:13 PM
For what it's worth, I read somewhere that MPI provides the coffin in a separate box with wedges to keep the coffin in place. They gave the impression that the packaging by MPI was more then sufficient to protect the contents and that all vendors would most likely just be shipping it the same way. This was by someone that had already received their copy.

smurr05
03-27-12, 01:39 PM
My tracking number finally started showing something, so it must have slipped through the cracks :)

:lol:

Double_Oh_7
03-27-12, 05:35 PM
According to tvshowsondvd.com, the set has been delayed until July 10th. Don't know how some people are already getting theirs...

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dark-Shadows-The-Complete-Original-Series/16725

03-27-12, 07:26 PM
I'm thinking delays to coincide with the movie? Obviously retailers had the stock for awhile, so it's not a delay in production.

I also read they're putting out the collection sets again and some "Best of" type DVDs, in addition to this set.

SkullOrchard
03-27-12, 08:36 PM
Received my shipping notice from Importcds yesterday. :banana:

Spottedfeather
03-27-12, 09:16 PM
I'd really like the set, but that coffin box is really kind of creepy.

EVOL
03-27-12, 10:28 PM
I preordered mine from best buy on Friday. I even called them after and they said it would say sold out or out of stock on the site and they did do a check for me on there stock of the box sets and said not to worry that I would be getting one because there orders didn't excead the number of items in stock. I'm still a little worried because they still are taking orders on the site and I've never ordered anything limited from them on the site. Should I have a back up plan, just in case?

Thank you

03-28-12, 01:07 AM
I'd really like the set, but that coffin box is really kind of creepy.

It'll be my fourth coffin box set. The Misfits, Coffin Joe, and The Blind Dead are my others. Coffin Joe is by far the crappiest of the bunch.

I preordered mine from best buy on Friday. I even called them after and they said it would say sold out or out of stock on the site and they did do a check for me on there stock of the box sets and said not to worry that I would be getting one because there orders didn't excead the number of items in stock. I'm still a little worried because they still are taking orders on the site and I've never ordered anything limited from them on the site. Should I have a back up plan, just in case?

Thank you

You got advice on stock levels from a low level customer service person. They aren't going to tell you to shop somewhere else.

GoldenWheels
03-28-12, 10:59 AM
I'm thinking delays to coincide with the movie? Obviously retailers had the stock for awhile, so it's not a delay in production.

I also read they're putting out the collection sets again and some "Best of" type DVDs, in addition to this set.

All the old ones are on sale on the MPI site, in case anyone is interested.

smurr05
03-28-12, 02:12 PM
Just read an announcement that MPI has pushed the release date back to 7/8!!! WTF! Got on the phone with Overstock and asked the CSR if this title was still going to be shipped on 4/10...She put me on hold to call someone in the warehouse...Came back and said that these orders "will be shipped for arrival on or about 4/10"!!! I thanked her for her info. I have never in all my years of collecting DVD's have seen or heard so much Fu*#ed up info and mis-info and confusion regarding a DVD release!!! IMO MPI Home Entertainment has its head way up its ass!
Nuff said-
Uh... thanks for listening to my frustrations-screwy-

bsmith
03-28-12, 02:48 PM
Someone posting on Amazon said they talked with an MPI supervisor about the newly reported delay, and was told there has been no delay and they have no idea where that information came from. MPI apparently stated that orders made through them are going out for a 4/10 delivery.

FYI, got notice from ImportCDs that my order shipped today.

03-28-12, 03:19 PM
I'm wondering why MPI doesn't have the set on their website anymore. Unless they sold them all/sent them to other stores.

bsmith
03-28-12, 03:36 PM
I'm wondering why MPI doesn't have the set on their website anymore. Unless they sold them all/sent them to other stores.

That's apparently it, they sold all they had on-hand through pre-orders, and the rest went to the other stores.

Double_Oh_7
03-28-12, 04:19 PM
Someone posting on Amazon said they talked with an MPI supervisor about the newly reported delay, and was told there has been no delay and they have no idea where that information came from. MPI apparently stated that orders made through them are going out for a 4/10 delivery.

FYI, got notice from ImportCDs that my order shipped today.

It's crazy. This is the second time MPI has issued a press release announcing a delay, and the second time they have denied it.

SkullOrchard
03-28-12, 05:59 PM
Just went up a few bucks at ImportCDs. $385.18 plus shipping now.

smurr05
03-28-12, 09:46 PM
It's crazy. This is the second time MPI has issued a press release announcing a delay, and the second time they have denied it.

Freakin IDIOTS!!!:thmbsdwn:

DVD Guy ATL
03-28-12, 09:52 PM
Got my set today and it is gorgeous. It's also BIG. Here are several pics of the set. (http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p575/DarkShadowsFan/)

SkullOrchard
03-29-12, 03:03 PM
The UPS tracking number that ImprtCDs sent me doesn't reveal any information.

03-29-12, 04:18 PM
It took me 3 days before UPS started showing anything.

bsmith
03-29-12, 05:22 PM

Well it turns out it wasn't MPI that was confused, but just a misunderstanding about the press release. The Aptil 10th release of the limited edition is sold-out from MPI's perspective and is going out on time.

However, because of the interest MPI is going to continue to make the set, but without the signed card and limited edition identifier. This "unlimited" set was being announced for May and then was delayed to July (getting more coffin cases produced), not the original set. See here: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dark-Shadows-The-Complete-Original-Series/16735

Now for some fans that is going to take away from the limited edition and I would think some of its value. Personally, I just wanted a less expensive set with smaller packaging to meet my needs. But now I see there was no real rush. I can see Amazon putting this as a GoldBox deal some time down the road for around $300.

SkullOrchard
03-29-12, 05:47 PM
The limited edition claims are always a scam. You can buy an autographed picture directly from Jonathan Frid for $15.00 plus shipping. Within a few months, I'll guarantee you we'll be seeing this set offered for under $300.00.

03-29-12, 06:08 PM
The only reason I'm not so sure it'll drop down that much is that this stuff has always been expensive. MPI had at least some of the Collection sets for around $20 but there's also a billion of them if you want to get the entire series.

bsmith
03-29-12, 06:21 PM
The only reason I'm not so sure it'll drop down that much is that this stuff has always been expensive. MPI had at least some of the Collection sets for around $20 but there's also a billion of them if you want to get the entire series.

True, but I always assume a Gold Box deal as being about 50% off list price, and this set list's for $599. Also, they seem to be lowering the price on even the collections from $50 to $40 list. So I think it will be more common to start seeing the new collection sets for around $18 to $25 on a more regular basis. Still I'm quite happy to get it for around $380.

smurr05
03-29-12, 07:17 PM
The UPS tracking number that ImprtCDs sent me doesn't reveal any information.

A few weeks ago I ordered the "Charmed" Deluxe Edition HUGE book and they sent me a UPS tracking # as well. When I couldn't find any tracking info I enailed them and was actually told it was a Fedex tracking#!!! Try that!!!- I did ask them , well why the hell did you list as a Ups tracking # on my shipping info??? They never answered!...But try that # with a Fedex track!:D
good luck bro-

DVD Guy ATL
03-29-12, 07:27 PM
In my case the "UPS" tracking # was actually FedEx , but the tracking status was never updated on FedEx's site... never even showed that FedEx picked up the order for processing. Little elves managed to deliver my set the day before FedEx's anticipated delivery date. So, hang tight... odds are your set will appear with a sprinkling of pixie dust. ;)

SkullOrchard
03-29-12, 08:24 PM
A few weeks ago I ordered the "Charmed" Deluxe Edition HUGE book and they sent me a UPS tracking # as well. When I couldn't find any tracking info I enailed them and was actually told it was a Fedex tracking#!!! Try that!!!- I did ask them , well why the hell did you list as a Ups tracking # on my shipping info??? They never answered!...But try that # with a Fedex track!:D
good luck bro-

Thanks for the tip. That's EXACTLY what they did. :lol:

DVD Guy ATL
03-29-12, 09:01 PM
Now I'm pissed. I may even sell my "limited edition" and get that reprint in July. I don't think there will be much to distinguish the 2 ... except a "signed card" and a #/2500. I believe you may be right. The non-LE will go for less than 300, maybe even around 250. I'm not a big enough fan to care and as long as the packaging is the same, it will look tranparent. This is the first time I've ever really pulled the trigger on something like this. I've always been patient, but I should have known this would happen.FWIW, the tvondvd.com story states that the price will be the same as the limited edition.

SkullOrchard
03-30-12, 01:56 PM
Received my set today. This thing is huge and heavy. :frankie:

critterdvd
03-30-12, 05:24 PM
I can't justify the price of this set right now, but is definitely something I want to own and explore some day (I only have vague memories watching repeats of this show in the late 80s/early 90s when I was super young and my grandmother me. Our local PBS affiliate would aire episodes in the middle of the night and she would record them. Probably used the same VHS for years as she never cared about quality.

I'm glad there will be a "kinda less special" version that as other posters have said might go down to $250 maybe even $200 after awhile.

smurr05
03-30-12, 06:49 PM
Received my set today. This thing is huge and heavy. :frankie:

Just wondering how long it took to get your shipping notice from importcds.com and did your order indeed get shipped via Fedex??
thanks for any info-

SkullOrchard
03-30-12, 07:18 PM
Just wondering how long it took to get your shipping notice from importcds.com and did your order indeed get shipped via Fedex??
thanks for any info-

I received my shipping notice within 24 hours of placing my order.

Order was shipped via Fedex, even though they sent me tracking info from UPS.

Ship date: Mar 26, 2012

Delivery date: Mar 30, 2012

From California to Georgia.

03-30-12, 08:33 PM
You beat me. Mine shipped on the 24th and is supposed to show up April 2. MO to OR but you got Fedex while I got UPS.

smurr05
03-30-12, 08:51 PM
I received my shipping notice within 24 hours of placing my order.

Order was shipped via Fedex, even though they sent me tracking info from UPS.

Ship date: Mar 26, 2012

Delivery date: Mar 30, 2012

From California to Georgia.

Many thanks for that info:D

Chad
03-31-12, 05:24 PM
Received mine today. Not bad at all considering I ordered it from ImportCDs late night Wednesday, got a shipping notice early Thursday afternoon and a tracking number just yesterday (for UPS, despite being sent FedEx). And didn't even have to sign for it - the phantom FedEx carrier left it on my front porch early this morning for me to trip and fall over.

I justified the price by figuring it's just under $3 per disc, which is Big Lots pricing. Of course I'd probably regret this purchase if MPI comes out with a limited edition Blu-ray mini coffin set on 26 discs in the near future. :D

Kirk76
04-01-12, 10:11 PM
Of course I'd probably regret this purchase if MPI comes out with a limited edition Blu-ray mini coffin set on 26 discs in the near future. :D

That is EXACTLY what I am worried about. I don't understand why MPI didn't do this to begin with.

Jay G.
04-05-12, 10:23 PM
Ordered on Mar 28th from ImportCDs, got my shipping notice today.

Guru Askew
04-07-12, 08:56 AM
"Shipping soon" from Amazon!

smurr05
04-07-12, 11:35 AM
Mine shipped via UPS at no extra charge from Overstock yesterday for arrival on Tues. 4/10! Can't freakin wait!:banana:

04-07-12, 12:28 PM
The thing is huge. I got #354

smurr05
04-10-12, 03:52 PM
Got mine today from Overstock.com. Packaged really well! And yes I agree the freakin thing is enormous and heavy. #2449 out of 2500!!! Has anyone attempted to peel off the circular sticker about the autographed card yet??? Does it come off without leaving residue or tearing the coffin box??? Any help would be appreciated. Nice Fu#*ing set!:banana:

smurr05
04-10-12, 08:03 PM
Bump-Has anyone removed this sticker yet???
Thanks-

adam_omega
04-10-12, 08:38 PM
Given the type of cover (matte paper glued onto cardboard), trying to remove the sticker would surely cause the box's cover to "bubble up" in some way. I definitely wouldn't remove it.

Try to think of the sticker as the thing that instantly tells people from the front that it's the Limited Edition without having to lift this heavy thing up to see the bottom.

smurr05
04-11-12, 06:39 AM
thanks for the advice. I'll definately leave it alone-

Nebiroth
04-11-12, 09:27 AM
I'd love to have this but can't possibly justify the cost of double dipping. I got all the boxsets in an Amazon sale a couple of years ago but even with that "cheap" price the total was several hundred dollars more than this set (espescially as I'm outside the US, so it was 31 lots of shipping, whereas this megaset would be one item - astoundingly, Amazon treat even the most gigantic of sets as one item for overseas shipping)

I can only imagine how anyone who paid anywhere near the RRP for the individual sets must be feeling right now. A tad cynical of MPI to wait so long to get the megaset out there. And the cheaper single sets too. It's like someone saying "OK, we've probably stiffed everyone for as many sales as we're going to get out of the sets, so now it's safe to get out the cheaper versions and the special megaset too"

I know that studios are not charities, but this "bigger, better, cheaper complete set at the end" happens all too often. So much so that I'm willing to bet that the poor sales leading to series getting dropped after the first couple of season sets are down to buyers thinking "hah - they're not catching me out on that game again"

I'm comforting myself with the fact that this megaset is way too large to fit on any of my display shelving, which I custom made to be standard DVD case height + just enough space to fit a finger in at the top to get the things out!

Guru Askew
04-11-12, 10:55 AM
Sweet Amazon dropped the price. I'm getting $24 back.

adam_omega
04-11-12, 02:41 PM
I can only imagine how anyone who paid anywhere near the RRP for the individual sets must be feeling right now. A tad cynical of MPI to wait so long to get the megaset out there. And the cheaper single sets too. It's like someone saying "OK, we've probably stiffed everyone for as many sales as we're going to get out of the sets, so now it's safe to get out the cheaper versions and the special megaset too"

I think it's more a case of... DVD's life cycle is past its prime and, with the movie coming out, it was just now or never. Once sales plateau, you have to find a new way to repackage/reissue the material.

Sweet Amazon dropped the price. I'm getting $24 back.

Ditto.

It's also interesting to see they raised the price on the reissue deluxe set to $539.99.

smurr05
04-11-12, 05:12 PM
IMO the trailer for the new T. Burton film seems to make it out to be more of a comedy!!! Sorry thats just a travesty to me. Shame on you J.Depp and T. Burton for Fu*@king up a Classic!!! I just don't think its right-Again just my opinion-

mhg83
04-11-12, 08:08 PM
Is this set a good blind buy? I've never watched an episode but am a fan of buffy and angel series will I like this show?

adam_omega
04-11-12, 08:45 PM
Is this set a good blind buy? I've never watched an episode but am a fan of buffy and angel series will I like this show?

As awesome as the set is... for a blind buy, no.

I would probably recommend picking up the "Dark Shadows: The Revival Series" DVD set. This was the hour long show from the early 90s. It only lasted one season due to the gulf war interrupting it, but it's the most like modern TV shows. I'd definitely give it a try for $15 as you get a great modern take on the Barnabas storyline. Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Revival-Complete-Series/dp/B001PXYH9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334191194&sr=8-1

If you still want to give the original soap opera a try without dropping $500 on it, there are 2 nice "digest" versions of popular story arcs...
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-The-Vampire-Curse/dp/B002EOVXA6/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1334191781&sr=1-7
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-The-Haunting-Collinwood/dp/B002EOVXEW/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1334191781&sr=1-5

I would recommend checking out the "House of Dark Shadows" and "Night of Dark Shadows" movies, which star the original soap opera tv series casts in movie retellings of several of the popular storylines. They're not out on DVD, but they are on the Amazon Instant Video Store (not sure if they're on netflix or itunes).
http://www.amazon.com/House-of-Dark-Shadows/dp/B0012DP6L2/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1334191781&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Of-Dark-Shadows/dp/B002SP75TE/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1334191781&sr=1-1

04-11-12, 08:51 PM

I'd say it's an awful blind buy. Spend $10 and get the Best of Barnabas http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Barnabas-Jonathan-Frid/dp/B006Z7Z3PO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334191756&sr=8-1 or Fan Favorites http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Favorites-Jonathan-Frid/dp/B006Z7Z3ZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334191756&sr=8-2 instead of spending around $400 only to find out you don't like the show.

Jay G.
04-11-12, 10:48 PM
The show is on Netflix Instant. It starts at episode 210, the one where Barnabas is introduced (and is where it's typically started in syndication), and goes through episode 370, so there's 160 episodes to whet your appetite.

bsmith
04-12-12, 12:17 AM

Going along with what others said, try to sample it first.

First, have you ever watched a soap opera? They just have a different feel to them with doing 200+ shows a year. They have to try to suck you in while at the same point stretching out a story. The music cues at breaks, the way the camera focuses in on facial expression, the on-stage presentation, and lack of retakes to get it done. They are just a different type of show that some just may not like. Now the gothic and supernatural angle makes this no ordinary soap opera from a story perspective. It is unique.

Second, you aren't going to have the effects of a Buff or Angel based on the time period it was done, budget constraints, and technology available.

adam_omega
04-12-12, 03:16 AM
You know, I just realized that this box set is going to take me over a year to watch at a rate of 3~4 episodes a day.

Double_Oh_7
04-13-12, 07:46 AM

At $400 it's absolutely not a good blind buy. It's nowhere near as slick or polished as the shows you mention. It's a product of 60s and 70s daytime television, but it is cheesy fun. Like others have said, sample a few stories first. YouTube has plenty of eps to take a look at.

Lastdaysofrain
04-13-12, 08:03 AM
If you like Angel/Buffy you'd probably dig the short lived early 90s remake of Dark Shadows, that's out on DVD and i think can be purchased fairly cheaply.

04-13-12, 03:40 PM
Sure didn't take long for the limited edition set to skyrocket in price at Amazon.

04-13-12, 03:58 PM
What's even more amusing is amazon is selling the non-limited edition for about $100 more than the limited was when it first came out.

adam_omega
04-15-12, 12:35 PM
Some people got a silver signed one, others got a red one. Hard to say what the percentage was.

banthafett
04-15-12, 12:47 PM
Was two versions of this set always planned? Or did the first one take them by surprise that an expensive set sold out everywhere, and now pushing another set out?

Pizza
04-15-12, 12:53 PM
I'll take a chance and wait and see if the non limited gets heavily discounted.

04-15-12, 05:13 PM
Was two versions of this set always planned? Or did the first one take them by surprise that an expensive set sold out everywhere, and now pushing another set out?

It was at least announced shortly before the limited hit release date but based off amazon's pre-order price for the regular set being so much higher, I think they didn't expect the limited to sell as fast as it did.

Paul_SD
04-16-12, 01:27 AM
At $400 it's absolutely not a good blind buy. It's nowhere near as slick or polished as the shows you mention. It's a product of 60s and 70s daytime television, but it is cheesy fun. Like others have said, sample a few stories first. YouTube has plenty of eps to take a look at.

Like Stuart says in his review of the single disc releases, the scattered episode here and there doesn't give you any context, and absolutely no feel of the the day to day progression (of character arcs, story lines, as well as creative reaching and competence and polish). I don't think the unexposed viewer would get much of a sense of the appeal of the show at all from either the new sampler discs or a scattered ep here and there.
I don't know how many consecutive eps youtube has, but
I would suggest going to the library, or amazon marketplace, and picking up a cheap collection- one volume, which will give you 40 consecutive eps and a much better picture of what following this show is like.
If you have a choice, Collection 5 or 6 is a great place to start, but there are others as well. I would not suggest starting with the introduction of Barnabas in Collection 1- there is an awful lof of chaff in those early eps outside of Barnabas that make them a chore to sit through.
IIRC 3 is when it starts getting a good footing and 4 ends with a bang featuring the earliest eps of the story line that dominates collections 5, 6 and part of 7.

Also , if you buy it, you can always re-sell it again and recoup the cost whether you pick up the big set or not- and by the time you finish a proper sampling of the show, the big set might be heavily discounted somewhere (there should absolutely be some good deals for it around Christmas)

smurr05
04-17-12, 05:28 PM
Some people got a silver signed one, others got a red one. Hard to say what the percentage was.

Glad I got a silver one, though red if visible enough would be cool!:D

Guru Askew
04-19-12, 09:56 AM
Jonathan Frid passed away. I feel really lucky to have the LE now, and not in some "eBay here I come" kinda way. I wonder if they have time to add a dedication to the credits of the new movie.

smurr05
04-19-12, 11:36 AM
RIP Barnabas Collins!

Double_Oh_7
04-19-12, 12:41 PM
Any word on if he died at a screening of the new Tim Burton movie ;)

Nebiroth
04-19-12, 12:53 PM
I think that's in rather bad taste.

Very sad news indeed, although it's great that he was at least able to see the success of the special DVD set (with all those signed postcards which will now undoubtedly rocket in value) and also he makes a cameo appearance in the upcoming film. Rather a shame he will not see that in release though.

04-19-12, 03:29 PM
I doubt the signed postcards will be worth much more since he's been selling autographs cheap for years.

SkullOrchard
04-19-12, 09:01 PM
Sold my set for $800.00 today. Does that make me a bad person?

04-19-12, 09:35 PM
If you waited longer, you'd get more.

Are you going to invest in High Fidelity DVDs?

sracer
04-19-12, 10:18 PM
Since you asked, yes it does.

Jay G.
04-19-12, 10:18 PM
If you waited longer, you'd get more.

Are you going to invest in High Fidelity DVDs?
:lol: :thumbsup:

SkullOrchard
04-19-12, 10:34 PM
Since you asked, yes it does.
Why?

Who does this hurt?

I sold it for $800.00, then reordered it for $380.00.

04-20-12, 01:31 AM
Why?

Who does this hurt?

I sold it for $800.00, then reordered it for $380.00.

The limited edition? If so, have you gotten a shipping notice? I've heard places selling it have it backordered but all the copies were long since shipped out to suppliers.

SkullOrchard
04-20-12, 02:17 AM
The limited edition? If so, have you gotten a shipping notice? I've heard places selling it have it backordered but all the copies were long since shipped out to suppliers.
Sold the limited edition, reordered the regular version.

I already have several autographed pics of Jonathan Frid that I bought directly from him for about $15.00 each.

I made enough profit from this sale that my new set will only cost me about 75 bucks.

Paul_SD
04-20-12, 05:06 AM

No. Smart.
I was kind of resenting feeling pressured to spring for this set when the company rap was " we're only making 2500 of these- don't dally or you'll miss out completely!"- only to see that , no, the same is coming in a wholly unlimited edition sans an inconsequential autographed postcard.
I figure I paid at least $100 more that I would be able to get the unlimited edition for in six to eight months.

But then after I heard the news yesterday I came around to thinking- I have a piece of one of the last projects he was involved in- even if it's just in a cursory way.
And since I have no other autos or swag from the show, I view that little postcard as something kinda special now.

I wish I could pull myself to take advantage of the situation now, but I can't quite do it. it's stupid and sentimental to put $400 worth of value on that postcard, but that's what not selling it off and rebuying the unlimited set amounts to. And contrary to a previous poster, I don't see there being any better time to sell this if you want to. Strike while the iron is hot. His death won't have nearly the same impact on sales 3 months from now when a cheaper, unlimited version is widely available. The resale value will be all downhill from here.

Double_Oh_7
04-20-12, 10:35 AM
I think that's in rather bad taste.

-rolleyes-

bsmith
04-20-12, 12:12 PM
No. Smart.
I was kind of resenting feeling pressured to spring for this set when the company rap was " we're only making 2500 of these- don't dally or you'll miss out completely!"- only to see that , no, the same is coming in a wholly unlimited edition sans an inconsequential autographed postcard.
I figure I paid at least $100 more that I would be able to get the unlimited edition for in six to eight months.

But then after I heard the news yesterday I came around to thinking- I have a piece of one of the last projects he was involved in- even if it's just in a cursory way.
And since I have no other autos or swag from the show, I view that little postcard as something kinda special now.

I wish I could pull myself to take advantage of the situation now, but I can't quite do it. it's stupid and sentimental to put $400 worth of value on that postcard, but that's what not selling it off and rebuying the unlimited set amounts to. And contrary to a previous poster, I don't see there being any better time to sell this if you want to. Strike while the iron is hot. His death won't have nearly the same impact on sales 3 months from now when a cheaper, unlimited version is widely available. The resale value will be all downhill from here.

I have the exact same feeling. I didn't really want to be rushed into buying it now but felt no choice based on the limited nature of the release. All I was really interested in was getting the complete set for as cheap as possible, and the smaller form factor (6 disk per standard size case) for my shelving.

But now that I have the limited edition, I see no reason to part with it, even though I could sell it, buy the other set, and save money in the long run.

04-20-12, 12:48 PM
But now that I have the limited edition, I see no reason to part with it, even though I could sell it, buy the other set, and save money in the long run.

And if you do sell it, then you have to possibly deal with a customer that may not be honest and/or a post office that's willing to damage it. In which case, you may not come out ahead.

Paul_SD
04-20-12, 02:57 PM
And if you do sell it, then you have to possibly deal with a customer that may not be honest and/or a post office that's willing to damage it. In which case, you may not come out ahead.

That's definitely a factor as well to me in just keeping it.
I tend to be a bit conservative about these things anyway, but once you decide to flip something that is outrageously inflated from what you just paid for it, it would seem like karma if you get a buyer equally as willing to take advantage of the situation.

I'm glad Skull Orchards transaction seemed to turn out OK.

04-20-12, 03:30 PM
Buyers still have time to complain. Especially if they later see they can get a non-limited edition for a lot less. If it's sold on amazon or ebay, it's as simple as damaging the item and saying you want a refund.

Also have to consider that if you sell it on ebay or amazon, those percentage fees take a big chunk out of what you sold it for. It's also heavy, so if you do Amazon, you only get about $3 credit for shipping and if they want priority, it's a couple more but you end up paying even more for shipping.

I'll also add that I sold mine on amazon. Naturally they did it priority. I covered my bases as best I could with insurance and adult signature confirmation. Since it was priority, it upped my shipping costs by double, so the end result was under $30. Amazon skims 15% for DVDs so that took a decent chunk.

Still, it's extra money I didn't have before but it's not something I'd want to deal with all the time.

SkullOrchard
04-20-12, 05:45 PM
Buyer canceled order last night. I re-listed it and sold it for $879.99

Made enough profit to get the regular edition set for free.

spaceghost7777
05-06-12, 04:24 PM
I would Buy the coffin sets, Not the “new” singles, because the Coffin sets will have the bloopers that were cut/edited out of the original single releases. Worldvision, The dvd facility, or MPI made cuts to the first several original single releases. The cuts that were made, for example, were: Episode 451 Bethia Mapes forgetting her lines and someone off-screen feeding her the lines and many other Bloopers from volumes 4-6 that were actually a part of the show. If you know the show as well as I do you know what I mean. If you own the original singles sets as I do we should be given the opportunity to get the replacement discs that have all of the original material that was cut or edited out. I have called them about this and they are giving me wishy washy answers. What Discs have the restored content? Anyone who has any updated information on which discs in the new coffin sets are different from the original single releases kindly post here.
Thanks.

SkullOrchard
06-12-12, 04:34 PM
$345.18 Shipped. Use coupon code: SAVE10

http://www.importcds.com/Movies/2396239/Dark-Shadows-Dark-Shadows-Complete-Original-Series-DVD

I made enough profit selling my original limited edition set to more than pay for this standard edition. I sold it for $899.00 on Amazon Marketplace, after the original buyer canceled her order.

smurr05
06-12-12, 08:17 PM
$345.18 Shipped. Use coupon code: SAVE10

http://www.importcds.com/Movies/2396239/Dark-Shadows-Dark-Shadows-Complete-Original-Series-DVD

I made enough profit selling my original limited edition set to more than pay for this standard edition. I sold it for $899.00 on Amazon Marketplace, after the original buyer canceled her order.

Nice profit! Got $650.00 for mine from an internet buyer shortly after its release which almost doubled what I paid for my original set. Will eventually rebuy the re-release after it comes down a little. Didn't really care about the autographed card anyway and as wierd as it might sound I didn't like that stupid red circular sticker on the front of the coffin!!!:D