Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The fuzz wants to use my land. What would you do?

kvrdave
03-13-12, 04:22 PM
The sheriff's department is holding some regional training for search and rescue at the local fairgrounds, which I am adjacent to. The fairgrounds is flat and open, but my land has good terrain, a few creeks, plenty of trees, etc. So they just came to my office and asked if I would let them use it for some of the training. I've always liked to help when I can, and I enjoy the idea of a group having a good use for the land, so it doesn't bother me. Plus, the sheriff is a great guy. So naturally I tell them they can use as much as they like.

But it got me to thinking....can you say no? Obviously you can, but who wants to be on the bad side of the sheriff's department? I doubt it builds any real good will for me, so I don't see a big advantage, but still.....it seems like the type of thing you say no to, and suddenly you get pulled over a lot more. Maybe I've seen too many movies.

Your thoughts on the matter?

spainlinx0
03-13-12, 04:23 PM
For free?

Timber
03-13-12, 04:24 PM
For free?

For favors?

Pizza
03-13-12, 04:26 PM
For free?
That was my thought too. Plus, if someone gets hurt on your property you could potentially be held libel.

wishbone
03-13-12, 04:31 PM
That was my thought too. Plus, if someone gets hurt on your property you could potentially be held libel.As long as it's not in writing. ;)

Bronkster
03-13-12, 04:32 PM
You should've implied that you had already granted use of that area to one of the Occupy movements, but if the sheriff offered a few hundred, you'd happily tell the Occupiers to beat it. (I used "beat it" only because you used "fuzz")

4KRG
03-13-12, 04:32 PM
Draw up some crazy legal document and tell them that they need to sign it

Tell them that this is just to protect you from liability of one of the people involved getting hurt on your land. Make the legal speak so confusing that no one can understand it (find Danol and have him write it)

Should be good for a few laughs, but if they refuse to sign it gives you a good out if you don't just start laughing :)

DeputyDave
03-13-12, 04:36 PM
My thoughts?

Duh.

But as for your other questions about saying no and retaliation? I guess it depends on the department. With mine we are under so much scrutiny I am positive nothing would ever happen. Small "hick" departments on the other hand... who knows?

Rockmjd23
03-13-12, 04:41 PM
I always assumed you had razor wire fencing around your compound.

Navinabob
03-13-12, 04:55 PM
If you had a few dogs you coulda said that they'd get too worked up with all excitement.

But I would have either just told them to be mindful of trampling the pot farm, or told them to "hold on a minute" and then take off running out a side door to see if any of them would start chasing.

kvrdave
03-13-12, 05:01 PM
I always assumed you had razor wire fencing around your compound.

Just on the back of the property.

kvrdave
03-13-12, 05:02 PM
But yeah, this would be for free. I checked on insurance, and they have their own that will cover it. I doubt there would ever be retaliation....like I said, I probably have watched too many movies. :lol:

Talkin2Phil
03-13-12, 05:02 PM
did you get any of these?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/talkin2phil/ebac092dd1cbbe108d3c7412fb720075.jpg

Dr Mabuse
03-13-12, 05:18 PM
But yeah, this would be for free. I checked on insurance, and they have their own that will cover it. I doubt there would ever be retaliation....like I said, I probably have watched too many movies. :lol:

You might surprised about retaliation and/or intimidation. It goes on every day around America. All you need to do is pull out a cellphone and film the police to find out, or not 'bow down' in any number of ways to Authoritah! Lots of videos about it on Youtube that speak for themselves.

The Berkeley police, I guess a 'hick' department obviously, sent an officer to a reporter's home in the middle of the night to wake him and his family up and tell him to change a story he was reporting on a few days ago. It's kind of big deal there, as unlike many areas of the country, them Berkeley folks won't just lie down and take it.

Franchot
03-13-12, 05:32 PM
I think you did the right thing.

(I used to work at two fast food restaurants (Taco Bell and Jack In The Box) in the San Fernando Valley back in my youth. Taco Bell gave free food to the cops whenever they ate there; Jack In the Box always charged the cops. Any time there was an incident (robbery, drunk customer, property damage, etc.) the cops were at the Taco Bell in a flash. At the Jack In The Box it took them about twenty minutes to show up.)

Charlie Goose
03-13-12, 05:35 PM
As long as it doesn't adversely affect you, then it couldn't hurt to foster some good will between yourself and The Man.

No talk of $$$?

Nick Danger
03-13-12, 05:35 PM
I think this would be a good day to let the horses "escape" into the woods, and meet with a live-fire accident.

On the other hand, your wife might come back with a trailer-load of high maintenance show horses.

majorjoe23
03-13-12, 05:54 PM
Shoot their dogs?

Minor Threat
03-13-12, 06:00 PM
Please film any and all activities - also be very blatant about it. Maybe get some riding boots a crop, directors hat and a long flowing scarf. Make sure they know you are there and give them copious amounts of direction without them asking. We need documentation.....

devilshalo
03-13-12, 06:04 PM
As long as their insurance is good, I don't see why not.

Save Ferris
03-13-12, 06:21 PM
My friend is a small business owner in Chicago
The cops come by periodically asking for donations for whatever and he's always given something. One year he decided not to and his building was cited for every justifiable violation they could find. He decided it's cheaper to just donate money.

The Chicago way ;)

Th0r S1mpson
03-13-12, 06:32 PM
Seems innocent enough. I've seen enough movies to know that's usually when the worst things happen.

Mabuse
03-13-12, 06:46 PM
Dave,

Why not let them use all your properties? Most of your places would be great for a simulated "Meth lab raid".

kvrdave
03-13-12, 07:23 PM
Then I wouldn't get rent the next month.

whotony
03-13-12, 07:49 PM
Draw up some crazy legal document and tell them that they need to sign it

Tell them that this is just to protect you from liability of one of the people involved getting hurt on your land. Make the legal speak so confusing that no one can understand it (find Danol and have him write it)

Should be good for a few laughs, but if they refuse to sign it gives you a good out if you don't just start laughing :)

I like the idea but he's dead. Drq2 would be able to fill in without missing a beat.

BKenn01
03-13-12, 08:07 PM
Hope they dont find your Pot patch......;)

Buford T Pusser
03-13-12, 09:34 PM
If you had a few dogs you coulda said that they'd get too worked up with all excitement.

But I would have either just told them to be mindful of trampling the pot farm, or told them to "hold on a minute" and then take off running out a side door to see if any of them would start chasing.

This

Buford T Pusser
03-13-12, 09:37 PM
(I used to work at two fast food restaurants (Taco Bell and Jack In The Box) in the San Fernando Valley back in my youth)

well la di da Mr. Fancy pants. Aren't you just so special?

DVD Polizei
03-13-12, 09:38 PM
Say yes, and then invite another group to "occupy it".

:D

Buford T Pusser
03-13-12, 09:40 PM
Please film any and all activities - also be very blatant about it. Maybe get some riding boots a crop, directors hat and a long flowing scarf. Make sure they know you are there and give them copious amounts of direction without them asking..

Larf riot!

My Other Self
03-13-12, 10:56 PM
What if there are K9 dogs on the property? Will they get taken off in the line of duty?

mndtrp
03-13-12, 10:59 PM
I'd at least request the unsupervised use of a police car for a few hours.

Superboy
03-13-12, 11:12 PM
Your thoughts on the matter?

When you're dealing with any outside organization that's going to be on your property, don't let them do it unless they're fully insured, you've retained a lawyer, and you have a full agreement drafted. If they damage your property in any way, especially since it's undeveloped land, you could be left holding the bag. I don't see any reason why you'd want to let a public organization do as they please on your property when you'd just as soon turn away a private one.

JumpCutz
03-13-12, 11:13 PM
I think you did the right thing.

(I used to work at two fast food restaurants (Taco Bell and Jack In The Box) in the San Fernando Valley back in my youth. Taco Bell gave free food to the cops whenever they ate there; Jack In the Box always charged the cops. Any time there was an incident (robbery, drunk customer, property damage, etc.) the cops were at the Taco Bell in a flash. At the Jack In The Box it took them about twenty minutes to show up.)

Typical. What a bunch of douchebags. -ohbfrank-

movieguru
03-14-12, 12:18 AM
If they get hurt on your property while training, couldn't they sue you for liability?

Marc Brobard
03-14-12, 01:27 AM
Christ, people. Read the whole thread before responding. It's only a frigging page.

Marc Brobard
03-14-12, 01:38 AM
When you're dealing with any outside organization that's going to be on your property, don't let them do it unless they're fully insured, you've retained a lawyer, and you have a full agreement drafted. If they damage your property in any way, especially since it's undeveloped land, you could be left holding the bag. I don't see any reason why you'd want to let a public organization do as they please on your property when you'd just as soon turn away a private one.

I'm glad you don't seem to own much land.

Jon2
03-14-12, 08:13 PM
If they get hurt on your property while training, couldn't they sue you for liability?

Yeah... whether or not the cops have insurance covering them is irrelevant. That won't stop any individual officer from suing you if they get injured on your property. I've had experiences with nice cops and a few bad cops (or at least not as nice cops), so I think I'm fairly unbiased, but I would have serious reservations about going along with this. (Maybe it's my inherent distrust of authority.)

I'd make absolutely certain that my insurance company is covering me and if they weren't, I'd tell the cops my insurance company won't allow it. If your cops are as nice as you claim, they shouldn't begrudge that situation. And if insurance did cover me, I wouldn't just take my agents word that it was okay. I'd have him/her get it to me in writing from higher up the food chain. I've had insurance agents misinform me (unintentionally... of course) about coverage on more than one occasion.

I wonder about all this. Your municipality doesn't have any available land of its own to use, so they have to hit on citizens? And if there's no municipal land, there's no nearby county or state land that's as well suited, either?

Ultimately, you're dealing with a governmental bureaucracy and when you're dealing with them, individual citizens almost always get the short end of the stick if (when) something goes wrong.

Numanoid
03-14-12, 10:36 PM
Wait. Danol's dead?

TomOpus
03-14-12, 10:38 PM
Yes, someone posted about it a few years ago.

whotony
03-14-12, 10:50 PM
http://articles.mcall.com/2005-10-14/news/3643190_1_easton-st-jane-frances-chantal-roman-catholic-church

kvrdave
03-15-12, 12:32 AM
Oh, I understand that if someone is hurt, lawyers sue everyone. But I have good insurance of my own, and they have theirs. Doesn't anyone have community spirit in big cities? :lol:

Around 2003 or so the international motocycle time trials were in the US. Apparently a decent sized thing that people care about everywhere but in the US. They used my land for that (had ESPN vans, cameras, etc. all over the property) and let about 75 RVs stay on the property. Of course, they actually paid me $6,000 for 5 days use, so there was incentive. Interestingly, if you rent out your primary residence for something like less than 7 days in a calendar year, the money is completely tax free. I wasn't aware of that, but found out when I did taxes the following year.

Anyway, I get the concern, but isn't there some kind of "do the neighborly thing" that most people feel? This will help people that actually spend their time with search and rescue, which benefits society.

Abob Teff
03-15-12, 12:49 AM
That was my thought too. Plus, if someone gets hurt on your property you could potentially be held libel.

I think you misused that word ... I think you meant "... potentially held slander."