Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Streaming Devices - What Do You Use?

TheBigDave
03-12-12, 05:50 PM
I'm currently using 3 boxes for streaming. Roku 2XS, AppleTV 2 and the Boxee Box. Each does a couple things really well that the other boxes are lacking.

ROKU 2XS - I use this mostly for Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon and Crunchyroll. Love the Instant Watch (http://roku.permanence.com/) app which is great for browsing the entire Netflix streaming catalog. Unfortunately, it's missing Youtube and doesn't stream files from the computer.

APPLETV 2 - I use this for Youtube, Podcasts and Airplay streaming from my iPad. It does a good job streaming from my computer using iTunes. But the video formats are fairly limited. I got tired of converting everything to MP4, so I went looking for another box.

BOXEE BOX - I use this for streaming files from my computer. I bought it primarily for this purpose, and it does a great job. Plays everything I've thrown at it so far. And I love the way all my files are organized with artwork and info (although that took some work). On the downside, the box seems a little glitchy. Apps frequently crash and the box sometimes slows to a crawl requiring a reboot. And the remote needs a major overhaul.

I've also got the 360 and PS3, which got me started on streaming with Netflix. But I haven't been using their streaming features much now that I've got dedicated boxes.

Anyways, what are you using? What do you like about it, and what do you hate?

DJariya
03-12-12, 06:49 PM
I have Directv, but as far as my TV streaming goes, I use

Xbox 360 (my bedroom TV)

Roku and Sony Blu-Ray (Upstairs TV)

The Sony Blu-Ray player streams Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video.

Hulu Plus for me acts as a 3rd DVR when I have time conflicts. I occasionally purchase some stuff on Amazon Instant Video.

starman9000
03-12-12, 06:56 PM
Xbox 360 (Netflix), a laptop hooked up to the TV (for when I want to watch Hulu), and an Insignia blu-ray (netflix). I had a roku, but the connection on it was very unstable. I'd like to try one again eventually.

DJariya
03-12-12, 07:05 PM
Roku is very unstable for me. Last week I tried to watch an episode of The River from Hulu (had a DVR conflict) and the playback was really choppy and the remote wouldn't work to exit. Then the machine flat out froze. I had to unplug it and re-boot.

Dan
03-12-12, 07:11 PM
^I've been having that problem with my Roku as well. For me, it only happens in the Netflix app. It's very frustrating.

I have a bunch of devices capable of streaming, but since I got the Roku, I've barely used my PS3 or 360 to stream.

I also use my phone and computers to stream music via Spotify.

starman9000
03-12-12, 07:14 PM
For me, I always had to go into the settings and test or reset the connection before I could start using it. I wouldn't have to reenter any info, but would have to do that step. I would have been fine with that, I guess, but teaching the family a workaround like that is more pain than it is worth.

Quack
03-12-12, 07:16 PM
Just my Wii and 360 for my Netflix streaming.

TheBigDave
03-12-12, 08:02 PM
Those people that are having problems with the Roku, are you using a wired or wireless connection?

I use a wired connection. The only channel that gave me video playback problems was Amazon. It would buffer during the movie. There were two things that solved this. Either a fresh reboot before watching Amazon. Or I would start the movie and pause it right away for a few minutes to let the buffer fill-up.

I sometimes have a problem with the Roku if I'm screwing around too much. Lots of backing in and out, fast forwarding and rewinding. Especially on private channels. It can cause the box to get sluggish and often freeze-up requiring a reboot.

I really wish there was a way to reboot or turn off the Roku from the remote.

mndtrp
03-12-12, 08:23 PM
I mostly just use the Roku 2, whatever the high-end model is. I also have a Samsung blu-ray player and the PS3 that streams, but I never use them, unless the Roku is giving me grief.

tommyp007
03-12-12, 08:30 PM
Samsung BD for Netflix
Sprint HTC Evo phone for Pandora, etc
Laptop to tv for Hulu
Integra DTR 50.2 receiver for internet music
Kindle Fire for Amazon streaming and Netflix

Brent L
03-12-12, 09:16 PM
I have the latest HD Roku 2 box, the XS maybe. We have that in our bedroom and use it every night for Netflix, Amazon streaming, and of course HBOGo. In the living room on the main TV I have a Panasonic 3D TV with Viera Cast that we use to watch Netflix and Amazon streaming. I also have a PS3 on the same TV that I sometimes use to stream Netflix, and I also use that to stream video files from my laptop.

Then when I'm out and about (or in the bathroom) I use my iPhone 4 and then also my HP Touchpad for what will actually work on it (not Netflix unfortunately).

DonnachaOne
03-12-12, 09:22 PM
I use a WDTV Live with a LAN connection. I typically use it for Netflix or listen to Pandora; as I don't watch much TV, I have no need for Hulu. I would like it if they included Amazon Video, however.

Giantrobo
03-13-12, 04:24 AM
Xbox 360 mostly.

RichC2
03-13-12, 09:05 AM
Uebo M400
Logitech Revue (Google TV) w/ Plex

Tracer Bullet
03-13-12, 09:16 AM
PS3 for Netflix. It's rock solid and I love having the remote.

chuckd21
03-13-12, 11:43 AM
I'm currently using 3 boxes for streaming. Roku 2XS, AppleTV 2 and the Boxee Box. Each does a couple things really well that the other boxes are lacking.

ROKU 2XS - I use this mostly for Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon and Crunchyroll. Love the Instant Watch (http://roku.permanence.com/) app which is great for browsing the entire Netflix streaming catalog. Unfortunately, it's missing Youtube and doesn't stream files from the computer.

APPLETV 2 - I use this for Youtube, Podcasts and Airplay streaming from my iPad. It does a good job streaming from my computer using iTunes. But the video formats are fairly limited. I got tired of converting everything to MP4, so I went looking for another box.

BOXEE BOX - I use this for streaming files from my computer. I bought it primarily for this purpose, and it does a great job. Plays everything I've thrown at it so far. And I love the way all my files are organized with artwork and info (although that took some work). On the downside, the box seems a little glitchy. Apps frequently crash and the box sometimes slows to a crawl requiring a reboot. And the remote needs a major overhaul.

I've also got the 360 and PS3, which got me started on streaming with Netflix. But I haven't been using their streaming features much now that I've got dedicated boxes.

This is pretty much me. Boxee is great for all my files. Netflix is on everything. Roku for Amazon.

Raul3
03-13-12, 01:56 PM
PS3, Xbox 360 and iPad.

trespoochies
03-13-12, 02:52 PM
PS3 for Netflix, and I use my HTPC pretty regularly to use Hulu, YouTube, etc.

I did try out using my Kindle Fire to watch (of all things) Transformers 3 just to see how it performed. Worked rather well.

Pizza
03-13-12, 04:20 PM
We just picked up a Sony Media Player from Costco. I didn't have high expectations but I'm impressed with it for being a cheap little unit that also offers wifi connection. Watched a bunch of flicks over the weekend with no issues. Watched Rubber earlier today and currently watching We Are the Night and it's been working flawlessly.

Shannon Nutt
03-13-12, 04:28 PM
Roku XDS and XBox 360 for me.

Primarily use the Roku...use the XBox for apps not available on the Roku or for those rare times when the Roku app is having issues.

OldBoy
03-13-12, 05:20 PM
Netflix:
Sony Bravia TV
XBOX 360

cseyer
03-13-12, 06:09 PM
On main TV:
PS3
Logitech Revue
Soon to be ATV 3

On bedroom TV:
Sony Bluray with streaming apps
ATV 2

Each one of these has their positives and negatives. I like the PS3 it plays just about everything when paired with Playon software. I like the Revue because it is always instant on and has good netflix and amazon playback it is easy to search and navigate with the full keyboard.

I like the ATV because it plays all the music and videos that I have in itunes and also does netflix very well it is close to instant on which is also nice.

As far as content: I wish Apple/Studios would lower prices on digital versions of movies, ~$20 for a high def movie just doesnt make sense to me nor does renting at ~$3-$5 very often. I have a netflix account and a redbox just down the street that makes getting new releases pretty easy. I do like Amazon's frequent sales and have rented movies more frequently from them, the amazon video prime library mostly stinks. I hope in the long term the prices go down just like music files did, I think $2 HD rentals make a lot more sense I probably would not buy a movie again, I rarely watch any movie even my favorites more than a few times.

Quake1028
03-13-12, 08:11 PM
Netflix - PS3, iPad 3, HTPC
Spotify - iPad 3, Galaxy Nexus, HTPC
YouTube - iPad 3, Galaxy Nexus, HTPC
Hulu - HTPC

Goat3001
03-13-12, 09:04 PM
Can you use AirPlay to stream HBO Go?

TheBigDave
03-13-12, 09:30 PM
Can you use AirPlay to stream HBO Go?

I wasn't able to do it using the iPad to AppleTV2. If I remember correctly, HBOGo even blocked the mirroring.

The Comcast Xfinity app carries most of the HBO shows. They block Airplay too, but the mirroring worked. Unfortunately, the iPad screen is 4:3. So when you mirror it to your TV, it's like watching a non-anamorphic DVD with black bars.

Rival11
03-13-12, 09:50 PM
Glad to see this sub-forum created......Vudu for me....no subscritption fee (pay for what you rent...credit card needed on file though), new releases come out same day as the DVD, and they have the more obscure titles available for rent as well - win-win.

Also, this is the company that was recently bought out by Walmart.

The prices are a little high for a flick ($2.99 up to $3.99 for max HD) but I don't care...I don't rent that much anymore so it's a good service for me - watched three movies so far and haven't been disconnected once. You can also access the vudu app across all the video game systems, supported blu-ray players, etc...

Rival11
03-13-12, 11:12 PM
Ha well, glad to see already messed this up - thought it was "what service do you use" so for devices:

xbox & blu-ray player - computer for UV at work ;)

nmr1723
03-14-12, 12:33 AM
Main System
Roku HD XR - Amazon VOD, Crackle - wifi
Netgear NeoTV 550 - streams digitize DVDs (ISO files) from my Synology NAS via Linksys E2000 in bridge mode. Works very well. Needs a reboot once in a while.

Master Bedroom
Roku 2 XD - Amazon & Crackle - wifi
WDTV Live Streaming player - streams from NAS via wifi

Office/extra bedroom
Panasonic bd-65 - Amazon - wired
WDTV Live 2nd gen - wired streaming from NAS

Tarantino
03-16-12, 02:56 AM
Primarily my 360, but occasionally on my phone.

twikoff
03-16-12, 07:25 AM
xbox in the living room
a couple vizio via tvs for netflicks
atv2 in the bedroom.. atv2 is very limited until jailbroken, then it does everything i want

devilshalo
03-22-12, 02:34 PM
I really wish there was still support for my Sony LocationFree device. I have it on my 1st Gen PSP and my Mac, but it would be a nice app for my iPhone. I see that someone has created an Android app for it.

covenant
03-22-12, 11:26 PM
My PC is about 3 feet from my TV in the Den so It doubles as a HTPC. Dolby/DTS via X/fi's component out. DVI from the video card to HDMI on TV.
I wish Netflix would hurry and enable 5.1 to PCs.

chino77
03-23-12, 11:49 AM
htpc in the living room and a laptop with a bad screen for the bedroom.

Heat
03-24-12, 11:51 AM
Roku LT (the $50 one).

For anybody that is interested in AppleTV, they just released an updated model. It adds 1080p capability and I believe has an improved browser. No new channels and you still can't use Hulu or Amazon Video. I had looked at AppleTV - it's a great device if you use iTunes a lot for TV shows / movies, or if you have an iPad (something about transferring what is on the iPad to the TV). But unless you are immersed in the Apple Universe, Roku is better.

printerati
03-24-12, 03:10 PM
I had looked at AppleTV - it's a great device if you use iTunes a lot for TV shows / movies, or if you have an iPad (something about transferring what is on the iPad to the TV). But unless you are immersed in the Apple Universe, Roku is better.

My thoughts exactly, and I have fairly extensive experience with the (now previous generation) AppleTV after installing and configuring three of them for my wife's boss.

We have one of the early Rokus (N1100), and the only issue we have with it is Hulu+ regularly sputtering or completely freezing up. I was considering one of the newer models, but after spending some time on the Roku forums, it appears that it's more of a Hulu problem.

I also have a Windows 7 HTPC that we rarely use because I haven't found any media center software I actually enjoy using. I never could get XBMC configured properly, and Boxee (which had the best interface and setup by far) would never recognize my Netflix account, and it's now discontinued. We primarily use Windows Media Center for streaming MP3s from our server, and occasionally Hulu Desktop (integrated into WMC) when the Roku channel is acting up and we "need" to watch something on Hulu. It also has a Blu-Ray drive and Arcsoft TMT installed, but I haven't even tested it yet since we don't own a single Blu-Ray. We haven't bought any movies on disc (Baby Einstein doesn't count) since we bought the Roku.

paradicelost
03-28-12, 10:08 PM
PS3. for the family room, Roku xs for the bedroom, wii for my 2 younger daughter's room, and then Sony's net streaming player(N100 I think) for my older 2 girls

TheBigDave
05-16-12, 11:29 PM
StreamingMediaBlog (http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_business_of_online_vi/2012/05/compare-the-latest-streaming-devices-and-content-platforms-all-in-one-chart.html) put together a great chart comparing the most popular streaming media devices.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7084/2012devicechartfinal2sm.jpg (http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1729/2012devicechartfinal2.jpg)

FULL SIZE CHART - http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1729/2012devicechartfinal2.jpg
ORIGINAL PDF - http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2012-Device-Chart-Final.pdf

philly1981
06-19-12, 12:51 AM
I use a net gear neo geo tv streaming player to watch netflix, i have had it since January and i love it.

pinata242
06-19-12, 01:03 AM
Over the last year I've become an Apple whore. ATV2 in the main room and my bedroom. Centralized iTunes library with everything I own (music, movies, tv) streaming 24/7 in 720p. It may take a one-time cost to get it into an iTunes-friendly format, but I don't mind that, especially since it's all behind me. Plus having iTunes Match enabled for all my music to be accessible through the cloud on any iOS device is a huge benefit and I don't have to devote any actual storage to that after the initial matching process, but I still keep my lossless files.

I keep waiting for Apple to open up an App store or simply add more 3rd party apps to the device, but nothing yet. It does everything I need except HBOGo and the Xboxes in both locations handle that just fine. Netflix is better, by far, on the ATV than the Xbox.

Ky-Fi
07-07-12, 11:22 AM
All right, new to the world of streaming here. I got fed up with paying $80 a month for cable that I mostly didn't watch, so a couple years ago I scaled back to only the local channels (in HD) for about $15 a month on my cable system. This was, and is, great---I got the broadcast channels in HD for the small amount of tv shows I watch, and I have a big dvd collection for movies. The ONLY thing I was missing was sports, particularly during the week.

I read up on Roku, and saw that they offered Major League Soccer and NHL subscription packages--two sports I really like---I thought I'd give it a try. Got my Roku last week, hooked it up, got the MLS package, and I"m lovin' it!
I particularly like the ability to watch all the archived games and condensed games. I haven't explored too much of the other Roku free content, although it seems like there's a ton of stuff of varying quality out there.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with Roku so far---I still don't want to give up my local HD channels on cable (and I didn't seem to have much luck when I tried an antenna) , but Roku gives me the additional content I want at a much cheaper cost. Nice product.

TheBigDave
07-07-12, 01:01 PM
The ONLY thing I was missing was sports, particularly during the week.

If you like baseball, I think I heard somewhere that the MLB channel offers a free game every day.

And if you like Pro Wrestling, check out the TNAonDemand channel. There's some free stuff. But for a couple bucks a month ($4/month, $10/3months, $17/6months), you can get old PPVs and DVDs. The last time I had a subscription (6+ months ago), they still hadn't added all the PPVs and DVDs. And the quality could be hit or miss. But it was getting better. So if you're a wrestling fan, it would be worth trying.

Ky-Fi
07-07-12, 03:01 PM
And if you like Pro Wrestling, check out the TNAonDemand channel.

I said SPORTS. ;)

If you like baseball, I think I heard somewhere that the MLB channel offers a free game every day.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for that tip---I had already registered (didn't even remember when or why) at MLB.com, and I just had to link that free site to my Roku to get the free game of the day. Cool.

JZ1276
07-08-12, 01:16 AM
I use a Zotac Zbox HD-ID34 with XBMC and an external case housing 4 hard drives totaling 4 TB connected via USB. Tried many streaming devices, this is by far the best.

Heat
07-09-12, 02:02 AM
I haven't explored too much of the other Roku free content, although it seems like there's a ton of stuff of varying quality out there...
Consider Netflix for $8 per month - tons of TV shows as well as the movies of course.

Here is a good website which breaks down the different Roku channels by category and includes hidden channels.

Heat
07-09-12, 02:13 AM
I thought that this was interesting - I was looking at TV Mia (www.tvmia.com) which has a range of South American channels.

$9.90 per month on your PC, iPhone / iPad, or Smartphone.
$17.50 per month for the above, plus Roku.

Does it cost a company that much more to offer a Roku channel?

Ky-Fi
07-09-12, 10:25 AM
Consider Netflix for $8 per month - tons of TV shows as well as the movies of course.

Here is a good website which breaks down the different Roku channels by category and includes hidden channels.

What's that link, Heat?

Shannon Nutt
07-09-12, 02:01 PM
Re: the Streaming Media chart above, XBox DOES have Amazon now, and the Roku does have YouTube (although I think it's still a "hidden" channel).

I (obviously) have both, but I'm finding more and more that XBox is providing the channels I'd normally have watched on my Roku. I find their streaming quality to be slightly better/more reliable as well. Of course, the 360 is still too pricy to buy ONLY for streaming video (and the fact that you also have to buy an XBox Live membership on top of that just to have access to most channels), but if you already have an XBox 360, there's really no need for an additional streaming device unless you're really into some of the more obscure channels.

TheBigDave
07-09-12, 02:12 PM
What's that link, Heat?

CatastropheGirl keeps track of the hidden channel at her blog. It's a bit of a mess. But you can easily sort through the categories on the right sidebar.

http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/

Also check out NowhereMan's channels. He makes some of the best private channels. Definitely get NowhereTV. Tons of content, including sports stuff.

http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

TheBigDave
07-09-12, 02:20 PM
Roku does have YouTube (although I think it's still a "hidden" channel).

Do you have the old hidden YouTube channel? They disabled that about a year ago. Old users that downloaded it can still use it. But new users aren't able to get it.

I agree with you about the Xbox. It's become an amazing streaming device.

Shannon Nutt
07-09-12, 05:45 PM
Do you have the old hidden YouTube channel? They disabled that about a year ago. Old users that downloaded it can still use it. But new users aren't able to get it.

I agree with you about the Xbox. It's become an amazing streaming device.

Yeah, I must have the old YouTube. I rarely use it, so I haven't checked in a while...at least I know not to delete it. :)

Ky-Fi
07-09-12, 09:04 PM
CatastropheGirl keeps track of the hidden channel at her blog. It's a bit of a mess. But you can easily sort through the categories on the right sidebar.

Also check out NowhereMan's channels. He makes some of the best private channels. Definitely get NowhereTV. Tons of content, including sports stuff.

Thanks again. I've heard of the nowhereman channel--will defnitely add that one.

Ky-Fi
07-29-12, 10:12 AM
....and speaking of which, although the picture quality isn't perfect, BBC Olympics coverage is streaming live on the BBC news link on NowhereTV.

Trevor
08-01-12, 05:29 PM
There is now an iPad app for Amazon Instant Video.

mkdevo
08-02-12, 11:19 AM
Just added PlayOn to my Roku. Don't know why I've never done it before. Simple setup, and opens up a LOT more options.

Ditched cable a few months ago and mounted an antenna in the attic and have the Roku upstairs + HTPC downstairs. MLB.tv subscription + Amazon Prime. Pretty much all I need, and sure beats paying $100/month for cable.

Unfortunately I installed the antenna in the Winter and it seems that when the trees grew in, I lost most of my channels. I'm really not even bothered by it though. I'm still able to watch pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want.

TheBigDave
08-05-12, 09:30 PM

Here's two more sites for Roku private channels:

http://streamfree.tv/apps/roku-private-channels/
http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2012/07/2012-roku-private-channel-list.html

wendersfan
08-09-12, 11:57 AM
I used a Boxee Box. I got one for "free" when I cashed in a bunch of rewards points from an old debit card. I wish it worked with ESPN3, but generally it works well for me. Its file-handling is, as stated previously, a major plus.

DaveNinja
08-09-12, 12:27 PM
MacMini (2010) as the HTPC hooked to the tv in the bedroom. it has the USB drive with all the movies/tv shows on it.
Boxee Box in living room, mainly used for streaming files from the HTPC and netflix
AppleTV2 also in living room, mainly just used for MLB.TV (since i heard its supposed to work better than the boxee version of the app)

RichC2
08-09-12, 12:40 PM
I'm curious to see how the Ouya works with XBMC when it comes out. The Apple TV isn't a viable solution for me, though my Uebo m400 is doing a good job (albeit severely lacking in streamable content, thankfully my 360 and PS3 offer Netflix).

I'd like to build a HTPC or get one of those overpriced ASROCK Vision HT boxes.

SuckaMC
08-09-12, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I took the plunge on the Ouya. For $99 I figured what the hell. I have content that will fit perfectly into xbmc.

Brent L
08-10-12, 10:44 AM
I ordered a computer from HP and they canceled the order and gave me a $200 off coupon to use in their store, so I got this thing - the HP Wireless TV Connect (http://www.amazon.com/HP-Wireless-TV-Connect/dp/B0062FZ2UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344609606&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+tv+connect). I hooked it up last night and did a few tests, and both me and my wife love it to death already. All it essentially does is streams a clone of your desktop to your TV, but holy crap does it work great. We have a Panasonic 50'' 3D TV, and while it has wifi and YouTube built in already along with a bunch of other stuff, it's much easier to watch YouTube using this new thing, not to mention being able to perfectly stream downloaded videos, home videos, music, and everything else. It's great.

RichC2
08-10-12, 10:59 AM
I ordered a computer from HP and they canceled the order and gave me a $200 off coupon to use in their store, so I got this thing - the HP Wireless TV Connect (http://www.amazon.com/HP-Wireless-TV-Connect/dp/B0062FZ2UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344609606&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+tv+connect). I hooked it up last night and did a few tests, and both me and my wife love it to death already. All it essentially does is streams a clone of your desktop to your TV, but holy crap does it work great. We have a Panasonic 50'' 3D TV, and while it has wifi and YouTube built in already along with a bunch of other stuff, it's much easier to watch YouTube using this new thing, not to mention being able to perfectly stream downloaded videos, home videos, music, and everything else. It's great.

How much lag does it have with the mouse pointer? I bought a Wireless HDMI kit off eBay a while back for about $75 (I realize now I got an awesome deal, they go for $200 on Amazon), works perfectly (but isn't USB powered, which can be a problem for PC but awesome since I can use my PS3 on any TV in the house) but tends to have a smidgen of lag when I use a laptop on it. Otherwise yeah, Wireless HDMI is awesome.

Brent L
08-10-12, 03:00 PM
I would say that it is such little lag, that it's almost virtually none at all. You can tell it's there, but like I said, it's just almost nonexistent. It's crazy, I've never played around with this technology before and I hate that I'm this late into the game.

RobLutter
08-22-12, 05:09 PM
RokuXDs on both the TV in the living room and the bedroom.

Use Plex to access YouTube/streaming sites and all my the movies/tv I have on my main PC.

Good stuff.

Dan
09-02-12, 06:54 AM
Whoops. Wrong thread.

TheBigDave
09-04-12, 01:29 PM
Wired has a new review comparing the four latest set-top boxes:

Roku 2XD - 8/10
AppleTV (3rd gen) - 7/10
Netgear NeoTV NTV200 - 7/10
Sony NSZ-GS7 - 5/10

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/09/ts_revtvstreamers/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29&pid=2593&viewall=true

TheBigDave
09-08-12, 03:06 PM
Streaming Media Blog has a new comparison of the Roku 2XS and the AppleTV.

Roku 2 vs. Apple TV: How To Chose The Right $99 Streamer (http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_business_of_online_vi/2012/09/roku-2-vs-apple-tv-which-99-box-should-you-buy.html)

They're also having a giveaway for the two boxes:

Free Giveaway: Win A New Apple TV (http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_business_of_online_vi/2012/09/free-giveaway-win-a-new-apple-tv-2.html)
Free Giveaway: Win A New Roku 2 XS (http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_business_of_online_vi/2012/09/free-giveaway-win-a-new-roku-2-xs.html)

TheBigDave
09-08-12, 03:20 PM
Has anyone tried the Vizio Co-Star (http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview) yet? This looks like an interesting little box. It has HDMI in/out, which allows it to overlay live TV. It's got GoogleTV with a Chrome web browser. It's also got the OnLive gaming system. I'm tempted to try it out.

Here's a review from Streaming Media Blog:

Vizio Co-Star Review: Hands-On With Vizio’s New $99 Streaming Box (http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_business_of_online_vi/2012/08/vizio-co-star-review-hands-on-with-vizios-new-99-streaming-box.html)

Free Giveaway: Win Vizio’s New $99 Co-Star Streaming Box (http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_business_of_online_vi/2012/08/free-giveaway-win-vizios-new-99-co-star-streaming-box.html)

SuckaMC
09-08-12, 07:22 PM
I threw down for a Ouya. But for now I'm using the Xbox. I really like where Microsoft is headed with their combined ecosystem insanity.

Geofferson
09-10-12, 05:09 PM
Been using a Roku 2XD for a few days -- loving it so far. I was a bit worried about the wireless signal strength, but no quality issues thus far.

RobLutter
09-10-12, 05:18 PM
I just ordered a Raspberry Pi, so I'll let everyone know how the DIY route is going. Planning on running raspBMC on the little sucker.

And if it sucks I can flip it quite easily on ebay ;)

Ky-Fi
10-07-12, 10:43 AM
Just browsing through one of the free Roku channels, Drive-In Classics, and saw that they had a section of 3D films. I said "what the heck" and ordered a pair of the polarized glasses on Amazon for about $2. I got those in the mail, and put one of the movies on---and I have to say watching those on the Roku wasn't bad! They have Creature from the Black Lagoon, Revenge of the Creature, It Came from Outer Space, Dial M for Murder, and probably twenty others.

For unrestored films on a free channel, using a substandard process, the 3D actually looks very distinct and cool on some of these. Revenge of the Creature looked quite good, I'd say. At least I'd say it's well worth shelling out a couple of bucks for the glasses to get an idea of what these films were like in their original 3D.

DaveNinja
10-12-12, 12:56 PM
There were some "leaked" photos of a new Boxee Box. Could be cool in that its supposed to have a built in ability to DVR OTA shows

TheBigDave
10-12-12, 02:09 PM
There were some "leaked" photos of a new Boxee Box. Could be cool in that its supposed to have a built in ability to DVR OTA shows

Here's the pics and info:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/3474602/boxee-tv-live-hdtv-antenna-dvr-apps

I love the Boxee for it's network streaming abilities. But that's about it. Everything else about it is sub-par.

If you read the official forums, you'll find many Boxee users feel abandoned by the devs. Lots of glaring bugs that were never fixed, and no sense that the devs gave a damn. Just check out this thread discussing the new box and see how many current owners are pissed:

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=64062

DaveNinja
10-15-12, 01:27 PM
Ive actually had very few problems with the Boxee Box. maybe i'm just not pushing it as hard as most the other users. I rarely stream anything over the internet besides netflix; most of my watching is just over LAN.

TheBigDave
10-16-12, 04:16 PM
Boxee (http://boxee.tv/) officially announced the new DVR box today. Here's some info:

The Boxee Box -- that sucker had a ton of hype behind it, but things don't always work out. After two years of fighting Roku, Apple TV and, to a lesser extent, Google TV for market share, Boxee has drastically rethought its approach. The $99 Boxee TV marks a new chapter for the company with a focus on live TV and a streamlined consumer experience. Baked right inside the matte plastic case is a dual tuner capable of pulling in unencrypted basic cable channels and over-the-air HD broadcasts. There's a slick guide to help you navigate but, most importantly, the slimmed down software sports DVR functionality. The Boxee TV has no internal storage, however, instead all your recordings are stored online in a "No Limits" DVR. For $15 a month you'll be able to save as many shows as you want and watch it on your TV or on your computer, tablet or phone through an HTML5 webapp. The DVR service will be rolled out to New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Washington DC to start, with other markets set to come online in 2013.

The selection of apps is not quite as robust as it is on the legacy Boxee Box, but CEO Avner Ronen has settled on a quality over quantity approach. Netflix, VUDU, Pandora, YouTube and Vimeo will come preinstalled on the Boxee TV and other apps will follow. But we wouldn't expect to see Know Your Meme or PornHub on there anytime soon. Some of the other losses are a little harder to swallow for fans of the original hardware. The move from Intel to a Broadcom SOC means the streaming options for locally stored media are much less robust. There's DLNA support, but many other networking protocols have fallen by the wayside. The beloved QWERTY remote has also bitten the dust, replaced with a much simpler device that sports dedicated Netflix and Vudu buttons. Even the distinctive "sinking cube" design has been replaced with a basic rectangle that's barely distinguishable from other settop boxes. You can sign up for more info at the Boxee site where you'll also be able to preorder the Boxee TV ahead of its November 1st launch.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/16/boxee-tv-delivers-dual-tuners-and-cloud-dvr-for-99/

Verge has a long interview with the Boxee CEO. I won't post the whole thing, but this part grabbed my attention:

XBMC and open source are gone now, replaced by a proprietary OS that’s built to support end-to-end content encryption and a policy compromise Avner describes as “very reasonable.” And Boxee’s deemphasized its famously comprehensive support for weird video files as well — weird video files that generally come from torrent sites. “We didn’t call it Boxee Box 2,” says Avner. “We called it Boxee TV.”

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3507568/boxee-tv-unlimited-dvr-netflix-vudu-apps-99

I've got no interest in this. They've gimped it's best feature (local streaming), limited the apps, and added a monthly subscription fee. I guess if you've cut the cord and rely on OTA TV, then the "unlimited" DVR might be appealing. But it's not for me.

TheBigDave
10-16-12, 04:32 PM
Here's some more official info from the Boxee Forum:

At the same time, we are also working to release a separate update to the Boxee Box to update the Flash player and fix some key bugs. After this update the Boxee Box will go into maintenance mode. We will discontinue its distribution and will not be releasing any additional major updates.

----------

We plan to upgrade to a Flash 11 player as well as fix the shutdown issue. While we really wanted to make the Boxee Box open to hacking like you're asking for, it's not possible given agreements with premium content providers who require the box to be locked down to distribute their content on it.

----------

Boxee TV does support file playback; it won't do artwork and identification like the Boxee Box does, but can playback most popular file types.

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=64164

The CEO has also answered a few questions on Twitter (https://twitter.com/avneron):

Q: is there any hope of the new box getting software upgrades to encompass all of the local streaming ability of the old one?

A: it will include the ability to play local files, but not as many as the Boxee Box. we will publish a list of supported formats

Q: will the Audio Dropouts on the original Box be fixed?

A: we tried to solve the audio-dropouts issue with a new SDK, but to no avail. we will be delivering fixes, but not to this issue

DaveNinja
10-17-12, 12:45 PM
yeah the new boxee box is going to suck.

hows XBMC on ATV2 now days with Eden or Frodo builds? Back when i had it on my ATV (like over a year ago) XBMC crashed a fair amount and wouldnt play a bunch of formats

TheBigDave
10-28-12, 04:33 PM
According to The Verge, Boxee is giving out some free units if you live in select areas.

Boxee offering free Boxee TV to early adopters

Boxee has big plans for its upcoming Boxee TV, and it looks like it wants to get the word out on the grassroots level: the company will be giving away the device for free to those that have registered interest. Since the announcement of the device, Boxee has had a sign-up page on its website allowing those interested to receive additional information; some of those who took part are now receiving emails notifying them that they can get a Boxee TV for free by filling out a survey. Judging by the form itself, it looks like the promotion is limited to the handful of markets that will support the device's new cloud-based DVR function at launch, including Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC. According to the company, the free units will ship out before the device's general release (it's scheduled to go on sale sometime in November).

It's not yet clear if this offer extends only to those who previously signed up for information on the Boxee TV, or if new potential customers can get into the action as well. If you'd like to try your luck, however, the sign-up page is still live on Boxee's website (http://boxee.tv/).

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/26/3559988/boxee-offering-free-boxee-tv-early-adopters

Libby
10-28-12, 04:41 PM
My Wii and PS3 to stream netflix I hate that we cant stream Hulu in Canada we miss out on so much we always get the shitty end of the stick I think we also have the worst netflix from all the countries atleast were finally getting Roku though...sure selection will be limited though.

GuessWho
10-28-12, 04:58 PM
I use a Roku to watch Netflix.

I have an XBox 360 but won't use it since I won't pay for "gold" membership.

Hokeyboy
11-14-12, 07:29 AM
I really only need Hulu+ and streaming local media. WDTV box does both brilliantly.

DaveNinja
11-14-12, 01:10 PM
I really only need Hulu+ and streaming local media. WDTV box does both brilliantly.

does it do netflix and amazon as well? do any non-blueray boxes do amazon prime streaming?

TheBigDave
11-14-12, 01:29 PM
does it do netflix and amazon as well? do any non-blueray boxes do amazon prime streaming?

Roku does both Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming.

DaveNinja
11-15-12, 12:52 PM
Roku does both Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming.

forgot about the roku.

is there any box that can stream untranscoded local files that also has Netflix and Amazon prime?

Hokeyboy
11-15-12, 07:01 PM
Yes to Netflix, no to Amazon.

PC Streaming was a deal killer for me. Without it, not interested.

twikoff
11-30-12, 12:05 PM
i primarily use a jailbroken atv2
sometimes stream through the xbox 360
and we have a couple smaller vizio tvs with built in wireless and VIA.. although i havent ever found a use for VIA outside of netflix..

Im looking at adding another streaming decide, but havent decided which one to try next.

from what i have seen.. the jailbroken atv2 seems to be the most complete option.. i would go with atv3, but no jailbreak yet... (that said, the atv2 sucks if its not jailbroken).

things i need/want in the next device.
1. both wireless and wired options are nice... i use wired for streaming as much as possible, but like the option of using wireless if needed.

2. of course must have a good supply of internet apps.. at least the basics (netflix, hulu, espn3, etc..) and should have others.

3. no monthly fees, outside of what i pay to the specific streaming services Im already paying

4. must be able to stream a large variety of media from my local computer.. I currently use xbmc on my atv2, and would expect no less than what i get out of it.

5. corrie keeps talking about dumping cable and just adding another steaming service or two... but outside of those paid streaming services, it would be nice if the device could easily pickup some tv.

twikoff
11-30-12, 12:08 PM
yeah the new boxee box is going to suck.

hows XBMC on ATV2 now days with Eden or Frodo builds? Back when i had it on my ATV (like over a year ago) XBMC crashed a fair amount and wouldnt play a bunch of formats

ive been using xbmc on atv2 flawlessly for a couple years now..
i hit one or two bad nightly builds last year, but those were quickly updated..
jailbroken with seasonpass/firecore

zorro69
12-01-12, 10:49 AM
I have the WDTV box fro streaming - HOWEVER, I have a problem with it constantly asking for my password and cannot get passed that page

I HATE THIS DEVICE :(

TheBigDave
12-01-12, 11:40 AM
Brutal article on that stupid Boxee TV:

Boxee and Walmart Put Disappointment Under the Tree (http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Boxee-and-Walmart-Put-Disappointment-Under-the-Tree-86333.aspx)

"Lots of people are bringing those back," a helpful Walmart employee told me the day before Thanksgiving, pointing to the Boxee TV I held in my hand. "Don't know why they're selling it here, since it only works in a few cities."

TheBigDave
03-13-13, 03:19 AM
Cnet did a comparison of the latest AppleTV (3rd gen) and the new Roku 3:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-sToSy_-Zk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13484_53-57573950-10391694/prizefight-roku-3-vs-third-generation-apple-tv-video/

OldBoy
03-13-13, 07:53 AM
Sony Bravia
XBOX 360

raven56706
03-13-13, 09:21 AM
i have 3 roku 2xs in my house... its awesome.... with plex, i feel like a king

darkside
03-13-13, 08:10 PM
I use my Sharp HDTV in the living room. It just seems to get the best wireless signal and stream Netflix and Hulu+ with the least issues. I use the PS3 and my Sony S790 sometimes as well for channels not on the Sharp. In the bedroom I use the Roku 2XS. I have had issues using it wireless as well, but in the bedroom it is hooked up wired and works great.

aintnosin
03-30-13, 06:12 PM
Roku is very unstable for me. Last week I tried to watch an episode of The River from Hulu (had a DVR conflict) and the playback was really choppy and the remote wouldn't work to exit. Then the machine flat out froze. I had to unplug it and re-boot.

^I've been having that problem with my Roku as well. For me, it only happens in the Netflix app. It's very frustrating.

The same here, but mostly on Amazon.

Rival11
04-09-13, 07:34 PM
For VUDU users: Did anyone else get notified that the vudu offices got broken into? I received an email and upon NOT clicking on a link in the email I received and going to vudu.com to sign on - I was prompted to reset my password.

TheBigDave
04-09-13, 08:01 PM
For VUDU users: Did anyone else get notified that the vudu offices got broken into? I received an email and upon NOT clicking on a link in the email I received and going to vudu.com to sign on - I was prompted to reset my password.

Yep, I got one too. It's legit.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57578766-83/vudu-resets-user-passwords-after-hard-drives-lost-in-office-burglary/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/04/09/video-service-vudu-resets-users-passwords-after-burglars-steal-its-hard-drives/
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/09/vudu-headquarters-robbed-hard-drives-with-private-customer-data-stolen/
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/09/vudu-offices-burglarized-and-customer-info-stolen/

b2net
04-09-13, 09:06 PM
only thing is.. I cannot seem to get the email with the reset password link.. ugh... stupid Hotmail...

Dan
04-09-13, 09:31 PM
I got that email too. It took about five minutes to get the password reset email... But I did it as soon as I got it.

b2net
04-09-13, 09:47 PM
Almost 1 hour for me.. and still nothing... I have had this happen before with other sites.. never getting a password reset email.. I lost access to LucasArts for that very reason.. ugh...

Geofferson
04-10-13, 12:44 AM
Email came within a minute of resetting the pw. Was hoping they'd issue free rentals for the hassle. Instead, looks like we get access to some type of identity protection service for a year.

EddieMoney
04-10-13, 12:34 PM
We are using the Xbox 360 to stream Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Instant, and MLB.tv. Has been very reliable.

b2net
04-10-13, 03:08 PM
Still nothing yet on my VUDU account.... Maybe I lost access.... Craptastic...

TheBigDave
04-10-13, 03:19 PM
Still nothing yet on my VUDU account.... Maybe I lost access.... Craptastic...

Drop them an email. I've been very impressed by their customer service.

Rival11
04-10-13, 05:43 PM
b2net - I'm not saying you haven't tried this already (and definitely NOT calling you dumb) but....have you gone to the vudu site to enter your username and password then get the prompt to reset your password yet so you get the email?

And also, did you receive the original email yet (the one saying they were robbed)?

Just throwing those two things out there in case you just overlooked anything.

b2net
04-10-13, 08:16 PM
Yes.. I received the original email... which prompted me to go to the site.. which I did directly.. not via a link in the email.... to reset the password... and I also have contacted them directly by email .. and no response.. so maybe I should be calling VUDU..

btw.. I believe it is an issue with Hotmail... as it has been in the past...

b2net
04-10-13, 09:31 PM
I called.. and the operator tried to send me an email as well.. didn't come through.. but she was able to manually reset my password to another one.. then I was able to login and change it to something new.. fun fun fun..

TheBigDave
04-24-13, 05:52 PM
There are reports going around today that Amazon is developing it's own set-top box to compete with Roku and AppleTV. No details yet. But rumors are that it'll come out in Fall 2013.

Here Comes Amazon's Kindle TV Set-Top Box (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-04-24/here-comes-amazons-kindle-tv-set-top-box)

aintnosin
04-24-13, 06:06 PM
There are reports going around today that Amazon is developing it's own set-top box to compete with Roku and AppleTV. No details yet. But rumors are that it'll come out in Fall 2013.

Here Comes Amazon's Kindle TV Set-Top Box (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-04-24/here-comes-amazons-kindle-tv-set-top-box)

The article asks the important question: Will it have other services like Netflix? If not, how can it possibly compete?

RichC2
04-24-13, 08:57 PM
Netflix and Hulu+ are both part of the Amazon Appstore so I have to assume they'll both be there along with HBO Go and the CW App.

Vudu, on the other hand, probably will not be there directly though may be through some sort of Flixster app.

To note, I'm assuming this settop will be a version of Google TV overhauled slightly to look more like the Kindle Fire interface.

arminius
05-05-13, 06:29 PM
Anyone here use a PS3 for youtube? If so, how is it and is there an app to download?

Thanks

TheBigDave
05-05-13, 07:15 PM
Anyone here use a PS3 for youtube? If so, how is it and is there an app to download?

I use it and really like it. I've used YouTube apps on the 360, Boxee, AppleTV, and Roku. The PS3 one is my favorite. It's very easy to navigate. And I like that it has a continuous play feature. So if I'm watching videos on a subscribed feed, it'll play them all.

I don't think there's any way to download YouTube videos on the PS3. Is that what you were asking for? Maybe you could do it through the PS3's browser? I don't know. Personally, I just download them on my computer then transfer the files to my PS3.

PhantomStranger
05-05-13, 07:39 PM

It will be dead on arrival if it doesn't have a way to stream UltraViolet content. Most can access their UV movies through VUDU, but I doubt Amazon will allow Walmart's service on their boxes.

Amazon has shown no indication they plan on joining the UV consortium anytime soon, much like Apple.

It's fine for YouTube but the specific apps for the various streaming services are very quirky on the PS3. The crunchyroll app (an anime service) basically doesn't work very well and I've had problems with other service apps on the PS3.

In a recent development, one of the better streaming devices I've encountered is my 2012 Panasonic plasma. VUDU and Amazon Prime stream very well on it and the interface isn't that bad.

TheBigDave
05-05-13, 08:24 PM
It's fine for YouTube but the specific apps for the various streaming services are very quirky on the PS3. The crunchyroll app (an anime service) basically doesn't work very well and I've had problems with other service apps on the PS3.

Which apps are you using on the PS3? I haven't noticed any problems with Netflix, Vudu and YouTube.

Crunchyroll is definitely broken on the PS3. It's been that way for a long time. People have been reporting the same problems on the CR message board ever since the app was released. At this point, I don't have any faith that it'll ever get fixed.

Luckily, I've got a Roku. But if I only had a PS3 for CR, I'd be pissed.

TheBigDave
05-05-13, 08:39 PM
It will be dead on arrival if it doesn't have a way to stream UltraViolet content. Most can access their UV movies through VUDU, but I doubt Amazon will allow Walmart's service on their boxes.

Amazon has shown no indication they plan on joining the UV consortium anytime soon, much like Apple.

I think they'll find a way to get UV content on the KindleTV. They can advertise the box on every Blu-ray page that includes a UV code ("Watch UltraViolet on the KindleTV. Buy one here"). And they can advertise the Blu-rays on the KindleTV ("Buy the Blu-ray at Amazon.com and get a free UV code"). Amazon loves that kind of cross-promotion stuff.

If they don't want to get in bed with Wal-Mart's Vudu or Best Buy's CinemaNow, they use the Flixster app. It's already on the Kindle Fire, and the Xbox is running one too. I prefer Vudu, but it's better than nothing.

PhantomStranger
05-05-13, 11:21 PM
Which apps are you using on the PS3? I haven't noticed any problems with Netflix, Vudu and YouTube.

Crunchyroll is definitely broken on the PS3. It's been that way for a long time. People have been reporting the same problems on the CR message board ever since the app was released. At this point, I don't have any faith that it'll ever get fixed.

Luckily, I've got a Roku. But if I only had a PS3 for CR, I'd be pissed.
VUDU is pretty solid on the PS3, though I still prefer the ROKU and my Panasonic streaming it. I use just about all of the streaming services, other than Netflix. I am desperately hoping that Panasonic adds a Funimation app, like they recently did with Crunchyroll.

TheBigDave
05-05-13, 11:37 PM
I am desperately hoping that Panasonic adds a Funimation app, like they recently did with Crunchyroll.

Are you not using FUNi's Roku app? It was broken for a while. But now it runs pretty good.

PhantomStranger
05-06-13, 03:18 PM
Are you not using FUNi's Roku app? It was broken for a while. But now it runs pretty good.
Yes, I am. It works fine but the ROKU is in a different room.

RichC2
05-06-13, 03:58 PM
I've been using my Roku 3 via wireless hdmi lately, the fact the remote is RF works wonders for that thing (not that it matters since I could just as easily use my phone or tablet to control it).

arminius
05-09-13, 04:54 PM
So I'm using my PS3 for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube. I am looking to add either Hulu plus, crackle or Vudu. Any big differences between them?

Also looking at Neon alley and Crunchyroll, same thing either or recommendations.

I'm looking at them but I'd like impressions from actual users.

Thanks

DJariya
05-09-13, 04:59 PM
So I'm using my PS3 for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube. I am looking to add either Hulu plus, crackle or Vudu. Any big differences betwen them?

Also looking at Neon alley and Crunchyroll, same thing either or recommendations.

The biggest difference is VuDu is ala carte per episode like Amazon Instant. You can also get movies too, but agin it's charged per title.

Crackle has select movies/shows and is free, but has commercials.

Hulu plus has mostly current FOX, NBC, ABC, and CW shows. It has commercials, but if you pay the monthly rate, you can stream it in HD on your tv.

arminius
05-09-13, 05:02 PM
The biggest difference is VuDu is ala carte per episode like Amazon Instant. You can also get movies too, but agin it's charged per title.

Crackle has select movies/shows and is free, but has commercials.

Hulu plus has mostly current FOX, NBC, ABC, and CW shows. It has commercials, but if you pay the monthly rate, you can stream it in HD on your tv.

So since I have cablevision, hulu plus would be pointless. I'll try Crackle and Vudu.

Thanks for the info.

TheBigDave
05-09-13, 05:31 PM

I use Crunchyroll. Haven't tried Neon Alley yet. But I can tell you about the two services.

Crunchyroll (http://www.crunchyroll.com/) is video-on-demand like Netflix. They have a huge catalog of anime series, including shows that are currently airing in Japan. Everything is in Japanese with English subtitles. Crunchyroll is Free (SD-video and commercials). You can also get a premium Paid membership (HD-video with no commercials).

Neon Alley (http://www.neonalley.com/) is scheduled programming like HBO. Shows are aired at a certain time. Their selection of shows is fairly limited and mostly older titles. But the shows are popular and well-known. The main benefit is that everything is English Dubbed.

Personally, I prefer Crunchyroll. I like their selection of titles and I want to watch on my own schedule. But if you're using a PS3, you might run into problems. A lot of PS3 users (like me) have problems with Crunchyroll crashing.

arminius
05-09-13, 07:01 PM
I use Crunchyroll. Haven't tried Neon Alley yet. But I can tell you about the two services.

Crunchyroll (http://www.crunchyroll.com/) is video-on-demand like Netflix. They have a huge catalog of anime series, including shows that are currently airing in Japan. Everything is in Japanese with English subtitles. Crunchyroll is Free (SD-video and commercials). You can also get a premium Paid membership (HD-video with no commercials).

Neon Alley (http://www.neonalley.com/) is scheduled programming like HBO. Shows are aired at a certain time. Their selection of shows is fairly limited and mostly older titles. But the shows are popular and well-known. The main benefit is that everything is English Dubbed.

Personally, I prefer Crunchyroll. I like their selection of titles and I want to watch on my own schedule. But if you're using a PS3, you might run into problems. A lot of PS3 users (like me) have problems with Crunchyroll crashing.

Thanks, I'll try both for a while and see how it goes.

kenbuzz
07-24-13, 11:43 AM

I have a whole assortment of streaming devices:

Roku2 XS - Picked this one up recently, I'm always on the trailing edge of technology. This is wired into the Home Theater system in the living room. Got it primiarly for the faster response time, Closed Caption and Vudu support that were missing from my other Rokus. Primarily used for Netflix, Pandora and Vudu. Previously used for HuluPlus but I didn't find that channel worth the added expense - also I got frustrated with their licensing issues that made a lot of stuff I wanted to watch Web-only.

Roku XD (2nd Generation) - This is in the master bedroom. Used primarily for Netflix, Pandora, Revision 3 and Pr0n.

Roku HD-XR (1st Generation) - An old workhorse, it is the only model that provides integration with just about any TV setup (Composite, Component, S-Video, HDMI) and that provides both wired and wireless connectivity. I'll never get rid of it. Right now it's in the exercise room and I use it on the treadmill or stationary bike. Almost exclusively Netflix.

Logitech Revue (Google TV 1st Gen) - Home Theater. Used as a video hub and to provide Chrome web access on the big screen when I'm too lazy to get my ass off the couch. Great for football PiP during the fall. Used to watch Netflix on this a lot (natively supports CC) before I got the Roku2 XS unit. Now it's primarly a Pandora player when it's not being a hub.

Panasonic HDTV + HT BluRay player - Both of these are in my Home Theater setup and both are web-enabled via VieraCast. I hardly use them but they ALSO provide Netflix, Pandora and Vudu access.

Panasonic MBR BluRay player - Master bedroom. VieraCast access to Vudu.

Raspberry Pi running XBMC - Home Theater. I'm just starting to play around with this. I am digging how I can stream just about anything that's ever been released on DVD on this. Have been able to watch current movies (Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness), ancient TV shows (like Early Edition, WKRP in Cincinnati), and everything in between. I just learned last night that I can download streams (they turn into .avi files) to play later, and that the version of XBMC I'm running has native PVR support. Allegedly I can also watch live network programming and possibly even NFL Sunday Ticket + Red Zone Channel. I've barely scratched the surface but this little box might completely revolutionize how my home watches television.

WD Live TV - I hardly ever use it. Not really certain what unique capabilities it provides.

RichC2
07-24-13, 11:58 AM
WDTV works great for content on an external HD, and has some excellent backend features if it supports the hack ROMs that were out a while back. It doesn't quite compare with a Raspberry Pi, but honestly not much compares with that - but it's substantially better than most others.

I use a Roku 3 mostly now, that thing is excellent.