Search this Thread

Old 03-11-12, 04:11 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Three Stooges Ultimate 61.99 plus ship at Buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/228230240.html

I thought this was a potential deal.
Only Buy.com and amazon have the msrp at 95.00. Every other store has it at 150 dollars. BN.com is selling it for around that price on preorder.
Buy.com is discounting off the lower MSRP. I figure I can cancel if I find a better deal before release date.
Old 03-11-12, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Three Stooges Ultimate 61.99 plus ship at Buy.com

Wow, sounds like it! 20 disc set from Sony for only $61.99????
Old 03-11-12, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks OP!!! Was looking at this at various sites last night and was tempted BUT glad I waited. This is a great price for this collection! Thanks again I ordered one-
Old 03-11-12, 11:57 AM

Buy.com's info page is useless, so I had to go to Amazon. This is a repackaging of the existing 8 volumes, plus 3 new "bonus" DVDs of other material. According to posts on Amazon Sony is supposed to be releasing the 3 new DVDs separately, but when and for how much?

This is another kick in the teeth for buying stuff early (and I didn't even make it through the 1st volume). I added up my costs for all 8 volumes (the last 3 of which I bought for $9.99 each at Best Buy) and it's $85.81. Obviously $64.89 at Buy would've been a much better deal, plus I have to buy the 3 bonus DVDs someday and it'll probably be a long wait before they hit $9.99 which will pretty much put me at paying Amazon's current price.

I wonder if I'd be able to sell my unopened Volumes 2-8 for around $64.89 and just buy the Ultimate Set from Buy? Probably not.

Out of curiosity, if I preorder this from Buy.com, can I easily cancel my order by logging in online and looking at my order without having to email them or call them? I rarely order from Buy.com so I don't know. I'm tempted to put in an order just as a price holder until I see if I can sell my other sets as long as I know canceling is easy.
Old 03-11-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The individual sets are going for 13-14 dollars a piece at Amazon. If you really want this, I would sell your unopened sets (and even your opened one) on eBay next free listing day for 12.99 min, with BIN at 14.99. You will at least break even and get the new set.

However, since this is a SONY product, I would expect the set to drop below $50 in the next 6 months (with an MSRP of around 100 bucks) and I would wait for that.

It's your choice and a little effort, but we've been around this board long enough to know this kind of repackaging happens all the time.
Old 03-11-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks

It's your choice and a little effort, but we've been around this board long enough to know this kind of repackaging happens all the time.
Very true, but this one was never a lock, especially when we keep hearing how DVDs are fading away. I never bought the individual releases, but I know people who have like Manzana and I can sympathize with them. I know the STOOGES are popular, but I wonder how many people foresaw a complete collection like this.

In any case, Manzana, the advice by Folks is sound: Try to sell your sets now and pool the money toward the new set with the three bonus discs. I wonder what kind of luck you will have selling them though in this current down market.
Old 03-11-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Very true, but this one was never a lock, especially when we keep hearing how DVDs are fading away. I never bought the individual releases, but I know people who have like Manzana and I can sympathize with them. I know the STOOGES are popular, but I wonder how many people foresaw a complete collection like this.

In any case, Manzana, the advice by Folks is sound: Try to sell your sets now and pool the money toward the new set with the three bonus discs. I wonder what kind of luck you will have selling them though in this current down market.
I bought all 8 volumes for a friend as they were subsequently coming out but no way am I double-dipping for this set, no matter how popular they are. Just waiting for info on when and how much the separate three-disc lost features DVD set will be...hoping it comes out in the fall sometime.
Old 03-11-12, 06:20 PM

This is a great deal for those who have not yet bought the remastered Three Stooges sets. I already have the first 5 volumes (-don't really care for later Shemps or the Joe Besser Stooge shorts). I'll just wait and assume the bonus contents on this new set actually do come out on a separate set, as per the Amazon posting. Sony appears to be presenting this in conjunction with the "new" Stooges movie coming out, I'm sure. It's more profitable this way.
Old 03-11-12, 07:59 PM
g

The individual sets are going for 13-14 dollars a piece at Amazon. If you really want this, I would sell your unopened sets (and even your opened one) on eBay next free listing day for 12.99 min, with BIN at 14.99. You will at least break even and get the new set.

However, since this is a SONY product, I would expect the set to drop below $50 in the next 6 months (with an MSRP of around 100 bucks) and I would wait for that.

Do you know which is the correct MSRP. Is it 95 or 150? Most stores have it at 150.
Old 03-11-12, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by g
Do you know which is the correct MSRP. Is it 95 or 150? Most stores have it at 150.
buy.com and Amazon have MSRP at 95.99. Walmart and BN.com have it at 159.99 -- which seems more reasonable.

If the MSRP is really 160, then this is a killer deal and if you want it you should jump on it. I doubt it will be this price for a while Personally, I'm not a big fan, so I'll pass.
Old 03-12-12, 02:06 AM
g

Cool. I still have some time to decide as all my CH orders caused a security screen. Buy.com is holding my order until I decide.
Old 03-12-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds like the MSRP on this dropped. If you look at the DVDtalk post when this was first announced, Amazon was selling it for $111.99 with the MSRP listed at $159.99. So they must have lowered their price for a reason. It also had a March 27 release date initially:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/59...arch-27-a.html
Old 03-12-12, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by g
Cool. I still have some time to decide as all my CH orders caused a security screen. Buy.com is holding my order until I decide.
g, how did you get Buy.com to hold your order until you decide? Are you saying there's a hold mechanism or simply you placed an order and could cancel it since it's a preorder? If so, then Buy.com is holding everyone's preorder.

Question for anyone: is it possible to cancel a Buy.com order online without emailing or calling them (as you can do at BB.com and Amazon.com if it hasn't entered the shipping process)?

ProfessorEcho and That'sAllFolks, thanks for those tips. I'd be happy if I even got $10 each as that would mostly cover what I paid. Should I try to sell them as a complete set or list all of them individually, and what price should I put on the first volume that I opened? Half the battle on eBay is knowing what to price them, so these tips help. To save myself time and energy, it would be easier for me to put them all together with 1 opened and 7 unopened sets, but what price then...? Anyone who is savvy would see that they could preorder the new set for $92 on Amazon (I doubt most people check Buy.com) so getting $10+ prices on each volume requires ignorance or impatience (for the new set).

If I add a BIN (Buy It Now) on each one, won't I pay a fee? I thought the auction listings were free, but BIN wasn't. I haven't sold on eBay for a long time, so I don't keep track. If I if and knew when the 3 bonus DVDs set would be released and for how much, that would help, but I guess Sony hasn't released that info yet.
Old 03-12-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks OP! In for new box Set with extra is PLUS under $65 shipped.
Old 03-12-12, 02:21 PM
g

Manzana. Usually if an order is on backorder, buy.com has a button to cancel. I never preordered from them so I don't know about that, but I guess it may be there for preorders. My credit card didn't authorize and they have a way to change it like amazon, so they said I had a few days to change it in an email. The mechanism exists in the order to change credit cards if it doesnt authorize.
Old 03-12-12, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
g, how did you get Buy.com to hold your order until you decide? Are you saying there's a hold mechanism or simply you placed an order and could cancel it since it's a preorder? If so, then Buy.com is holding everyone's preorder.

Question for anyone: is it possible to cancel a Buy.com order online without emailing or calling them (as you can do at BB.com and Amazon.com if it hasn't entered the shipping process)?

ProfessorEcho and That'sAllFolks, thanks for those tips. I'd be happy if I even got $10 each as that would mostly cover what I paid. Should I try to sell them as a complete set or list all of them individually, and what price should I put on the first volume that I opened? Half the battle on eBay is knowing what to price them, so these tips help. To save myself time and energy, it would be easier for me to put them all together with 1 opened and 7 unopened sets, but what price then...? Anyone who is savvy would see that they could preorder the new set for $92 on Amazon (I doubt most people check Buy.com) so getting $10+ prices on each volume requires ignorance or impatience (for the new set).

If I add a BIN (Buy It Now) on each one, won't I pay a fee? I thought the auction listings were free, but BIN wasn't. I haven't sold on eBay for a long time, so I don't keep track. If I if and knew when the 3 bonus DVDs set would be released and for how much, that would help, but I guess Sony hasn't released that info yet.
I am not knowledgable about minimizing ebay fees, but as I buyer, my experience is that there must be a lot of unknowledgable/impatient people on ebay as I regularly see people paying too much when they could get better prices elsewhere or by waiting.
Old 03-12-12, 04:14 PM

Whether it is a deal or not depends on which MSRP is correct. Obviously it is if BN and Wal-Mart are correct but if Buy is correct it is only 32% off list and you will likely be able to find it cheaper on release date.
Old 03-12-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Manzana, I wish I could help you regarding Ebay selling, but I haven't sold anything there in many years. I strictly sell through the Amazon Marketplace now which is much easier and user friendly than Ebay ever was. Maybe things have changed on Ebay in recent years, I don't know, but I keep my distance from that site. They wore out their welcome with me long ago.
Old 03-12-12, 04:45 PM

Normally what I do is check Amazon to see the value of something. You have to be careful because someone sometimes comes in a lowballs a listing just to move it fast. The prices are usually about the same on eBay. The best way is to enter a UPC in the search field on eBay and it will group the product so you can easily see what they run for. However, you can usually get a little more than the BIN on an auction.

I would list the entire 8 volume set as NEW and BE VERY SPECIFIC that the one volume has been opened and list the condition of the discs, If you list it as used, then it will hurt you in the search criteria -- and really all but set is new. Hopefully the discs are still mint -- that will help. Saying you just want your money back and you paid 10 bucks + tax. Your fees will be aprox 12 % (9% FVF + 3% paypal fee). BTW, you will need to upgrade your paypal account to a receive credit cards -- I guess they still do that, it's been a while for me.

For 8 volumes, I would list them for around 104.99 (with a BIN of 115.99) with FREE media mail shipping. Shipping will be around 4-5 bucks and the rest will be fees and product. You might be able to get more, but the min, price here will probably only net you your money back. Have fun.

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
I am not knowledgable about minimizing ebay fees, but as I buyer, my experience is that there must be a lot of unknowledgable/impatient people on ebay as I regularly see people paying too much when they could get better prices elsewhere or by waiting.
I doubt your customer will be someone that frequents this forum. Most people that buy DVDs are like us when we buy clothes, etc. We need/want them -- find a reasonable price -- and purchase them.
Old 03-12-12, 05:31 PM

The usually accurate videoeta.com has the MSRP at 95.99. But that's hard to believe, considering the 8 volumes retailed for 24.99 each and there's a 9th set on here too......
Old 03-13-12, 09:05 AM

Given the comments that this should be cancellable online, this is what happened when I finally got around to trying to order it around midnight last night solely out of fear Buy.com would soon jack up the price. I added it to my cart and got to where I entered my credit card info, saving PDFs along the way. When I hit that button the page timed out, so I then try other web pages and they aren't working either. I figure "great... Cox Internet goes out once again at exactly the wrong time... couldn't they have waited just 1 freaking minute more?" I check my cable modem and sure enough it's not getting a signal any more. After a power reset and 10 minutes of trying, I finally give up and go to bed. First thing in the morning when I get up I try to continue and tell myself... I just know they're going to jack up the price (Murphy's Law). I hit refresh and sure enough it pops up a message that the price of my item has changed, and I say "I knew it!" and expected to see it $90 or more... but it actually just went up $2. So I'm disappointed but place the order anyway. The cancel button is there on the order status page, so hopefully it'll work if I decide to cancel and/or can't sell my existing volumes on eBay. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to try. It would be my first listing in years, and I just hope that the free listing applies if I start the bundle around $100 or so. (I might go for slightly lower prices than That'sAllFolks suggested as I'd be happy to clear $100.)

So, long story short... stupid Cox's inability to provide a reliable Internet connection cost me $2 whole bucks!!! The horror of it! BTW, another amusing thing I noticed in my PDFs. Last night around midnight, this set was 14,731 in Buy.com's sales rank. This morning (6 hours later): 44. So I checked SD thinking somebody posted it but not a word there. I'm pretty surprised if some site somewhere posted this deal and it jumped that high in sales rank that Buy.com only jacked the price by $2. Had it been Cancelzon they would've jacked the price a lot more.
Old 03-13-12, 09:49 AM

It would be my first listing in years, and I just hope that the free listing applies if I start the bundle around $100 or so. (I might go for slightly lower prices than That'sAllFolks suggested as I'd be happy to clear $100.)
If you sell the item for 105 (which is what I suggested), you will clear:
105 - 12.90 (FVF+paypal fee) - 5.00 (approx. postage) = 87.10, which is approx. $11 per set. It may be free to list, but they still charge a fee if it sells.

. Last night around midnight, this set was 14,731 in Buy.com's sales rank. This morning (6 hours later): 44.
I doubt those rankings are real time and probably are updated once every 24-48 hours.

Had it been Cancelzon they would've jacked the price a lot more.
You keep referring to Cancelzon, but it's hard to believe you've had that many problems with them. In all my years of dealing with them, I 've only had 2 things canceled -- a misprice on some comic collection volumes -- that they gave me a GC for -- and a Disney tin, that had long been OOP. Perhaps you tend to exaggerate a bit.
Old 03-13-12, 11:08 AM

You keep referring to Cancelzon, but it's hard to believe you've had that many problems with them. In all my years of dealing with them, I 've only had 2 things canceled -- a misprice on some comic collection volumes -- that they gave me a GC for -- and a Disney tin, that had long been OOP. Perhaps you tend to exaggerate a bit.
I've had more cancellations than I should. Probably a few per year. The big one that really made me mad is a CD sale a couple months ago. I spent hours looking and placed 3 large orders with about 100 CDs across them all. Then the next day they claimed it was a price mistake (after shipping a bunch of those orders to people with Prime) and canceled about 1/3rd of the titles in my orders. I called up to ask about it and the rep assured me I'd receive the rest that weren't canceled. Well, they kept dragging their feet for about 2 weeks... no change on shipping anything and the estimated delivery dates ended up in the past. I called again and they again assured me I'd get them when they're all in stock. Then a couple days later they canceled all the remaining CDs in all the orders. I think I received a separate cancellation email for each item so it was a nice spamming. I called them and they just told me tough luck at first, but I was finally able to get some promo credit based on the misinfo from the past 2 reps, but not enough to make up for my lost time (IMO). A few days before that I had ordered a battery deal which they canceled as a price mistake. So, they are Cancelzon because they cancel stuff a lot because they like to claim that whatever sale item I buy was in fact a price mistake, but I didn't know that at the time. I don't purposefully buy price mistakes, but they seem to pop up on SD a lot, and I buy them and later find out they're a mistake, and Amazon cancels them. I mentioned to an Amazon rep (I tried to do it nicely) "so when I see a good price on Amazon, how should I know if it's a price mistake or not and if it's worth ordering or will just be canceled"? The rep didn't have an answer for that.

Do I exaggerate? Perhaps a bit because my memory isn't perfect, especially on older deals, but I think they earned the name for a while. I probably should stop using it not because they don't deserve it for a while but because people don't know what I'm talking about and I should save myself having to explain.

I'll follow your eBay tips to see how it goes. I don't mind paying the fee if it sells for that price. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't pay any up front listing fees. Thanks.
Old 03-13-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate Buy.com as much as Manzana hates BB. I have submitted the price to Amazon, hoping they PM.
Old 03-13-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you sell the item for 105 (which is what I suggested), you will clear:
105 - 12.90 (FVF+paypal fee) - 5.00 (approx. postage) = 87.10, which is approx. $11 per set. It may be free to list, but they still charge a fee if it sells.

I doubt those rankings are real time and probably are updated once every 24-48 hours.

Ordered once from BUY.com but not too thrilled with their Customer Service so if you're able to wait a little until it comes down in price through othetr retailers, then do that but go with what your gut and head tell/advises you to do on this set. Just wanting to know when and how much the separate volume will go for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.