DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : So whats the next best option after an iPad 3

james2025a
03-09-12, 05:55 PM
And i don't mean an iPad 2 or iPad. I am thinking of getting a tablet and would like opinions on what is the next best thing on the market. I would like it for general office work, a half decent photoshop style program, watching movies maybe and just want something that will make me feel happy with my purchase. Any recommendations or advice are very much appreciated.

fujishig
03-09-12, 06:28 PM
Can you say why you don't want an iPad (too expensive, not independent enough, etc.)? That would probably help the recommendations.

james2025a
03-09-12, 06:39 PM
Availabilty of the iPad 3 when it comes out will be a factor. Also i wanted something with a USB port so i could plug in a mini external if needed.

edstein
03-09-12, 06:47 PM
How about a netbook? Might suit your needs better.

Sdallnct
03-09-12, 08:28 PM
I have used a little Asus netbook now for 3 years (yes still running XP).

For my needs it has literally been the best laptop I have ever owned. With Google Chrome it is very fast for net surfing. Of course, email, facebook and all that basic stuff is fine. I've done basic photo editing and even after 3 years of lots of use the battery still lasts 6 hours (new it would last 8). I also run full MS Office on it.

Of course it is not powerful enough for big time photo/video editing or gaming.

Best part is you can get a nice one for $250

Normally I buy a new laptop every two years. But on my 3rd year with this. Rather than upgrade, I'm getting an iPad. I've gotten more into reading books, watching movies and such and the iPad is better for those things. And with Word and such coming to iOS, will be fine there. There is also a camera adapter for the iPad for uploading pics from a camera (memory card). One of the things that tipped the scale on getting an iPad is photos. I like the nice little simple iPhoto app. Even works well on my iPhone.

fumanstan
03-09-12, 09:14 PM
The new Transformer Prime with the higher resolution.

james2025a
03-10-12, 06:58 AM
I have seen the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity 700 and that looks like the one for me. I like the fact it has a pretty great clip on keyboard as an optional extra. I think this is the one for me.

Tracer Bullet
03-10-12, 08:49 AM
You want something for office and photo work and you're getting an Android tablet? :lol: Good luck with that.

Dan
03-10-12, 09:17 AM
And with Word and such coming to iOS, will be fine there.

I wouldn't count on that. I mean, I think MS would be stupid not to make an app, but they're clearly positioning the Windows 8 on ARM tablets too be the go-to low power devices for true Office productivity apps. They're even going after OnLive for their attempt to reinterpret their licensing...

As for the OP, even as a bit of an Android fanboy, I can't recommend any of the Android tablets for what you want to do. Either get an iPad or one of the better netbooks. Personally, I'm holding out for a Windows 8 ultrabook or tablet, but that's because my job requires me to use the full MS suite of Office products.

Sdallnct
03-10-12, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't count on that. I mean, I think MS would be stupid not to make an app, but they're clearly positioning the Windows 8 on ARM tablets too be the go-to low power devices for true Office productivity apps. They're even going after OnLive for their attempt to reinterpret their licensing...

As for the OP, even as a bit of an Android fanboy, I can't recommend any of the Android tablets for what you want to do. Either get an iPad or one of the better netbooks. Personally, I'm holding out for a Windows 8 ultrabook or tablet, but that's because my job requires me to use the full MS suite of Office products.

I think it is bound to happen at some point. In fact, one rumor was that it was going to be the "other" big announcement last week. But lots of articles that it will happen and MS and Apple are more "frienamies" than anything.

http://geekprison.com/4039-microsoft-word-excel-powerpoint-coming-soon-ipad/

But even tho I have full Office on my Netbook, I don't use it daily. Or even weekly. So there are other options I can use on the iPad if I need to get by. And 99% of the time, I'm doing it to create content, not the end product. So even something like using iWorks and than copy/paste into an email would would for that. Or I imagine there are some Office compatible web based programs I could use as well.

And again to the OP, I'm moving to a tablet. But that is because my needs have moved as well and what I do most of the time has changed a bit. And truth be told, I'm also trying to expand my comfort level a bit.

But little netbooks are just awesome (for their intended purpose). People love to run speed tests on them, or compare them to an i7 quad core or whatever. Of course they look bad for that. But doing what they were intended to do (and that most people do 90% of the time) they are fine. Better than fine. They are good and have some advantages. Many now have a 10 hour battery life. They are extremely light weight.

In fact, my intent was to replace my netbook with an iPad. But the more I think about it, for as light as it is, I just might put it in a padded sleeve and throw in with my checked baggage. I just won't get a new one like I was planning (getting a tablet instead).

And yes with a good net connection I can watch HD. And netflix, Hulu and all work just fine.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
03-10-12, 10:22 AM
Availabilty of the iPad 3 when it comes out will be a factor. Also i wanted something with a USB port so i could plug in a mini external if needed.

Toshiba thrive has usb and hdmi connectivity. You can use a usb stick, mouse, game controller. Has sd slot and removable battery too. It is a bit big and heavy compared to others and not as high end at this point, but I have seen it around 200-300 for refurb on sale. Of course, if you want the latest technology, get something better but expect to pay a lot more for it.

james2025a
03-10-12, 12:49 PM
Well i played with the Transformer Prime today and liked it enough to wait and see what the 700 is like. Maybe i was a bit off when i mentioned what i wanted to do with it. I want it primarily for something compact that i can take to meetings, take notes, do small documents on the go and things similar. Nice to have it for things like Skype, photo gallery, iTunes and watching the occasional movie. I do not expect to get or am looking for something that would be considered a professional tool for graphic design or document production. I already have an Alienware desktop and a decent Sony laptop. Cutting down on weight of carrying my laptop everywhere is a big plus for me here. I appreciate all the suggestions and information guys. I have not had a tablet before and just want to make sure that which ever one i choose i will not have buyers remorse any time soon.

Sdallnct
03-10-12, 01:06 PM
iTunes won't run on it.

Far as I know the only OS's that iTunes runs on is one of the Windows or OSX's (that's right, iTunes won't run on Apples own iPad either).

Of course you will be able to play music on it. But it won't run iTunes. And of course you could not for example plug your iPod or iPhone into a tablet to update or move content.

I'm comfortable moving away from a pc (and not having iTunes with me) because I'm pretty sure I can get buy with iCloud.

Yup...double check "Mac and PC" only. Will run on something as old as XP.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Chrisedge
03-10-12, 01:44 PM
I have not had a tablet before and just want to make sure that which ever one i choose i will not have buyers remorse any time soon.

Then get an iPad. Really.

Tracer Bullet
03-10-12, 02:18 PM

Yes, this.

The Cow
03-10-12, 02:35 PM
Yep.

edstein
03-10-12, 03:04 PM
The iPad 3 is much better but you will not be disappointed with an iPad 2. Which is now $100 cheaper.

My Other Self
03-10-12, 03:16 PM
After playing with various tablets running on Android and then using the iPad 2 last year, the differences are pretty drastic to me. I have to echo everyone else and say if you're deadset on a tablet, get an iPad.

Tracer Bullet
03-10-12, 04:28 PM
Apropos: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/03/new_ipad_how_apple_s_tablet_strategy_parallels_its_unbeatable_ipod_success_.single.html

kefrank
03-10-12, 05:23 PM
As a dissenting opinion to the ones above mine, an Android tablet will serve you very well. I've had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 for months now and I love it.

The iPad is tops in the tablet game, but it's not the only excellent tablet on the market. I would wager that most of the folks suggesting it is haven't actually used a newer Android tablet.

james2025a
03-10-12, 07:24 PM
Well i am looking to get just the Wifi version of a tablet and not have to pay a monthly line rate for 3G/4G. I am in Puerto Rico, so wireless connections are pretty terrible at the best of times. If connections were better i would be more willing to look at the iPad3 and use the iCloud service, however at this point i need something that will allow me to plug in external storage devices so that i can access documents and media and not be limited by the internal space. I have to reiterate that after seeing the Asus today it was the first time that i have been impressed by an Android tablet. I have found all but the iPads to be generally poor overall, but this seemed to have the bells and whistles that have been missing. So i was happy to read about the 700 and see that it might be the next best thing, and better in some regards than an iPad. I guess i will leave it until they are both on the market and get a clearer picture. Not rushing into a purchase.

Superboy
03-10-12, 10:49 PM
Well, just think of it this way.

The iPad is designed from the ground up to center around the consumer, but it is horribly limited. To me it's just a bigger iPhone that can't make calls.

A netbook is a mish-mash of spare dinosaur computer parts, but they're solid platforms. You can do anything a tablet can do with a netbook, but the converse is not true. A netbook is not dramatically or cripplingly larger than a tablet. I've never been in a situation where I wished my netbook was a tablet instead, but there are plenty of times where only a netbook could get the job done.

Sdallnct
03-10-12, 10:58 PM
Well, just think of it this way.

The iPad is designed from the ground up to center around the consumer, but it is horribly limited. To me it's just a bigger iPhone that can't make calls.

A netbook is a mish-mash of spare dinosaur computer parts, but they're solid platforms. You can do anything a tablet can do with a netbook, but the converse is not true. A netbook is not dramatically or cripplingly larger than a tablet. I've never been in a situation where I wished my netbook was a tablet instead, but there are plenty of times where only a netbook could get the job done.

I would disagree.

A netbook is a laptop. A tablet is a tablet. They are different and are intended for different purposes.

My 3 year old netbook has a 160 gb hard drive, runs full on Office with no trouble, runs iTunes to update my ipod, has a full sized keyboard for very good typing and is very cheap.

A tablet is better for reading books, has a better screen for movies is even more portable and expensive (for a good one).

The think to remember is regardless of what you get, full on laptop, netbook, tablet there are pro's and con's to each. You just need to decide what fits you "most of the time".

Sdallnct
03-11-12, 02:38 PM
Apropos: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/03/new_ipad_how_apple_s_tablet_strategy_parallels_its_unbeatable_ipod_success_.single.html

Interesting article (just had a chance to read).

Amazing to me that "no one" can compete with Apple on price. For most products in the Apple world that is not the case.

Also interesting comparison to the iPod. Tho I'd like to see sales of the iPod's since the iPhone came out. I haven't bought a new iPod as I use my iPhone. I can't believe I'm alone in that.

So comes the another theory on why Apple won't come out with a 7" iPad. It would kill the Touch. And the argument that only Apple can do real damage it itself.

james2025a
03-12-12, 10:36 AM
That is an interesting article, however i think that there is a difference between markets for MP3 players and tablets. In my opinion there was never anything that has come close to the iPod for an on the go music player. It had an ease of use, portability and design that was unmatched. However, when it comes to tablets, although this has been the case up until now with the iPads, i think that other manufacturers are doing a good job at matching the iPad for design and general usage. It seems to me that this is going to be a harder market for Apple to keep a grasp on with other companies bringing out cheaper models that may appeal to the general user. I really do like the design of the iPads, but in these fields i always welcome competition as it usually leads to more innovation and true battle for supremacy. I am still waiting to see what the Asus 700 is like when it gets released, but the day cannot come sooner that i get a tablet. Carrying my laptop again to work today was a pain.

Sdallnct
03-12-12, 11:39 AM
That is an interesting article, however i think that there is a difference between markets for MP3 players and tablets. In my opinion there was never anything that has come close to the iPod for an on the go music player. It had an ease of use, portability and design that was unmatched. However, when it comes to tablets, although this has been the case up until now with the iPads, i think that other manufacturers are doing a good job at matching the iPad for design and general usage. It seems to me that this is going to be a harder market for Apple to keep a grasp on with other companies bringing out cheaper models that may appeal to the general user. I really do like the design of the iPads, but in these fields i always welcome competition as it usually leads to more innovation and true battle for supremacy. I am still waiting to see what the Asus 700 is like when it gets released, but the day cannot come sooner that i get a tablet. Carrying my laptop again to work today was a pain.

While I generally agree with you, there is one very important factor that you don't mention,

"best product" no longer = best sales/best profits.

Apple has done the masterful job of the entire ecosystem. There hardware is very good. Well actually you could argue with the new iPad, no one really comes close. And no one has been able to be close for cheaper. But if it were ONLY that the competition would have a chance. But then you get into people who already have that iPod and are using iTunes, tons and tons of apps and lets not forget just name recognition.

The Win 8 tablets will be interesting. But I think to little to late. Apple has essentially "taught" people that you don't need a full OS. You don't need a USB port. You don't need a SD slot.

And while you can argue technically or geeky about those things, I think the sales (and profits) speak for themselves. Again, I'm not saying that from an Apple "fan-boy" perspective. But one of fascination.

Groucho
03-12-12, 11:52 AM
I think dilution of product has really kept Android from making a big wave in the tablet market. For every great Android tablet, there are several shitty ones. And that can really hurt word-of-mouth.

james2025a
03-12-12, 12:21 PM
I think dilution of product has really kept Android from making a big wave in the tablet market. For every great Android tablet, there are several shitty ones. And that can really hurt word-of-mouth.

I agree with this totally. The extra wait will give me more time to look more in-depth into what both have to offer and what i will truly get the best value for the buck.

Tracer Bullet
03-12-12, 01:11 PM
There's no company out there that can match the quality and profit margin of the iPad. None.

DRG
03-12-12, 01:23 PM

This is the problem exactly. People play with one subpar Android tablet at Best Buy and immediately form the opinion "Android tablets suck".

Chrisedge
03-12-12, 01:23 PM
Still wondering why you DIDN'T want an iPad. That may help address what to recommend, or to tell you why the iPad would still be a good choice.

Sdallnct
03-12-12, 01:25 PM

I think "dilution" is being very kind. And I'm assuming your talking hardware. What about the dilution of their own tablet OS? My mom was thinking about getting a Kindle Fire but then she said "I'd really like to get an Android". I tried to explain that the Fire runs Android, only an Amazon "screwed with" version.

The other non-Apple issue is that other tablet markers aren't making anything better "for less". Or even offering something the iPad doesn't have. Sure they have an SD slot. Have a USB connection. Even if those things are "nice" to have, do you really want to differentiate your product by putting something on it that has been around for years? Is that how you are going to beat the competition by putting on old (if still useful) technology?

Don't get me wrong, as an end user use to have a lot of storage space, I'd love an SD slot. But as a tablet maker, where is the innovation? Where is the "newness" to go after Apple. I mean we keep railing Apple for such small memory in the iPad, but I don't see a lot of Android Tablets with 128 gb+ built in drives? Yes, I know most of them have SD slots, but from a marketing standpoint is that how you beat Apple? "Hey buy our tablet that has the same memory and cost the same as a iPad, but you than then go buy more memory and carry those around if you want". If they really think memory is the way to beat the iPad (which I don't) why not load up an Android tablet with hard drive type memory space for the same price as the iPad "memory is so cheap", right?

I was going to hold out for a Win 8 tablet. Then I could run full on iTunes, full on Office, attach an external HD, etc, etc...but then I thought to myself "doesn't my 3 year old $200 netbook, do all that right now?".

If you truly need those things, more power to you. And I love my little netbook for those very things. But they are old technology. I think from a marketing standpoint it tough to sell your new "gee whiz" product by pushing that it will be able to do what every laptop has been able to do for years.

Sdallnct
03-12-12, 01:30 PM
Still wondering why you DIDN'T want an iPad. That may help address what to recommend, or to tell you why the iPad would still be a good choice.

I think it the same things I mention above. No external storage option, no USB connection. Think he also mentioned the delay in availability.

Groucho
03-12-12, 01:30 PM
I think "dilution" is being very kind. And I'm assuming your talking hardware. What about the dilution of their own tablet OS?I was thinking of both. It's a total nightmare right now. Admittedly, Google is trying to get a handle on it, but there's not much they can do when somebody like Amazon takes the open source components and uses it to create their own proprietary OS.

james2025a
03-12-12, 02:04 PM

Well i live in Puerto Rico and the communication lines here are generally pretty terrible. In order to run an iPad and connect to any of my files or media using w wireless or phone connection will not be a pretty picture. I really want something where i can access a lot of stored data very easily and on the go. The USB and Micro SD slot seem to provide this. I can always have a mini external or SD cards with me and they take up very little room. If there was some way of being able to have this accessibility to data then the iPad 3 would be a no brainer for me.

If there are any solutions to get around this problem then i am more than happy to hear them.

Sdallnct
03-12-12, 04:03 PM
The issue is the very idea of "tablet" is not consistent with what you want to do.

I had the same issue a couple years ago when the iPad and iPad 2 came out. I travel a lot (250+ days). And I didn't want to carry both an iPad and laptop as you were required to have a laptop for the iPad to update, move content, etc. Well with iCloud and wireless update, you don't

While that solves my issue, it doesn't yours. Basically your trying to turn a tablet into a laptop (or netbook). Which not impossible, is rather expensive and still not going to be as useful in many functions.

My question is why you don't want a netbook? Or laptop? Or ultrabook?

Course you could also do what I was considering. Get or keep a basic little netbook (about $250) and get a Nook Color. You could root it, or leave as is and use the SD slot for more content. (about $200). Now you have a great little PC that is highly mobile that can do all that typical stuff. Plus a nice "smart" e-reader for reading books, watching movies, etc. But you can also occasionally leave the laptop at home and use the Nook to check email, update your FB status, check the prices on something. And you have spent a lot less money than a premium tablet.

But when you leave your laptop at home, you won't have "everything" with you. But I think that is where the direction is heading. I mean even if you get the very nice Asus tablet + external drive (or wait for a Win 8 tablet). That drive is going to drain the crap out of a tablet battery. So you will need to carry the power cable around. So now your just creating another issue, while trying to solve one.

kefrank
03-12-12, 04:49 PM
I really want something where i can access a lot of stored data very easily and on the go. The USB and Micro SD slot seem to provide this. I can always have a mini external or SD cards with me and they take up very little room. If there was some way of being able to have this accessibility to data then the iPad 3 would be a no brainer for me.
Define "a lot of stored data." More than 64GB? If not, just get the 64GB iPad.

james2025a
03-13-12, 07:31 AM
Well i really want this for on the going meetings where i can take notes, access documents and presentations and connect to my email (wifi of course....at least the campus where i work has decent connections). I have a lot of backed up data on external hard drives. A lot of work and a lot of stuff like books, movies and music. I would like to be able to access these on the go. I don't like the idea of using iTunes to transfer data as it sounds really clunky at best. I also travel a lot and would like something that is very compact. I have terrabytes of backed up data that i would like to be able to access.

I understand what your saying when you say why not get a netbook as it will do the same thing, but then there are a number of different things on the market that could do the same thing. Lets just say that my experience with netbooks and laptops in general has not been the best and i am trying to stay clear of them.

Tracer Bullet
03-13-12, 08:19 AM
What about Dropbox? You can use it on an iPad.

Although I don't know if you can have a terabyte-sized Dropbox folder.

Sdallnct
03-13-12, 08:20 AM
Humm....I'm not sure what you want exists.

My first thought would be to wait for a Win 8 tablet. But a Win 8 tablet will essentially be a touch screen notebook (hopefully for the PC market a well worked, slick, smooth operating one).

Tho you seem very cryptic in some of your responses. What experiences have you had that you don't want a netbook or laptop? Have you tried something like a Mac Airbook?

You say you travel a lot so you want a tablet. But then also want to carry an external hard drive? And if you want to do a lot of typing on the tablet, then your going to need a blutooth keyboard. Your essentially building a laptop with spare parts.

I'm still thinking if you need all that power, storage, lots of typing, etc. Your best bet is a good ultrabook (I love the Airbooks, but there are some PC options as well) + a 7" smart e-reader. A 7" e-reader will fit in a jacket pocket. Perfect for reading or watching a moving on the go. Then have your ultrabook do your "heavy lifting".

What I think you have to understand (and took a bit for me to get before embracing) is that a tablet was never and is not designed as an "advanced" laptop. It is a different product entirely. The question is, does it do what you want to do with it? Sounds like for you, it won't.

Groucho
03-13-12, 08:29 AM
I don't think any tablet will store terabytes of data.

Tracer Bullet
03-13-12, 08:41 AM
Humm....I'm not sure what you want exists.

My first thought would be to wait for a Win 8 tablet. But a Win 8 tablet will essentially be a touch screen notebook (hopefully for the PC market a well worked, slick, smooth operating one).

Tho you seem very cryptic in some of your responses. What experiences have you had that you don't want a netbook or laptop? Have you tried something like a Mac Airbook?

You say you travel a lot so you want a tablet. But then also want to carry an external hard drive? And if you want to do a lot of typing on the tablet, then your going to need a blutooth keyboard. Your essentially building a laptop with spare parts.

I'm still thinking if you need all that power, storage, lots of typing, etc. Your best bet is a good ultrabook (I love the Airbooks, but there are some PC options as well) + a 7" smart e-reader. A 7" e-reader will fit in a jacket pocket. Perfect for reading or watching a moving on the go. Then have your ultrabook do your "heavy lifting".

What I think you have to understand (and took a bit for me to get before embracing) is that a tablet was never and is not designed as an "advanced" laptop. It is a different product entirely. The question is, does it do what you want to do with it? Sounds like for you, it won't.

I agree with this. OP, get a Macbook Air and be done with it.

james2025a
03-13-12, 09:06 AM
I don't think any tablet will store terabytes of data.

I am not talking about storing, but having direct access to via USB. My mini external drives are small and easy to carry, so they would not be a problem. I would like to leave the docking station/keyboard in my office as thats where it would get most use, and then carry the tablet around with me to meetings and what not.

Noonan
03-13-12, 09:14 AM
You don't want a tablet, you want a Macbook/Netbook. Why are you so dead-set on finding a tablet that does what you want (which does not yet exist)? A full computer will be way more useful for everything you listed. If you're buying a tablet simply to look "cool" to the people you're meeting with, buy an iPad and deal with the restrictions.

kefrank
03-13-12, 09:18 AM
Well i really want this for on the going meetings where i can take notes, access documents and presentations and connect to my email (wifi of course....at least the campus where i work has decent connections). I have a lot of backed up data on external hard drives. A lot of work and a lot of stuff like books, movies and music. I would like to be able to access these on the go. I don't like the idea of using iTunes to transfer data as it sounds really clunky at best. I also travel a lot and would like something that is very compact. I have terrabytes of backed up data that i would like to be able to access.
Based on the desires laid out here, I concur with the other guys. You don't really want a tablet. Tablets have a lot of great advantages but their capabilities and strengths don't jive especially well with the workflow you describe above...

You can get pretty fast typing on the touchscreen keyboard, but I would never rely on that for taking notes. A bluetooth keyboard would be a must. Viewing documents and presentations on a tablet is great, but no tablet is particularly adept at more advanced editing of documents. Carrying around external hard drives to connect to a tablet pretty much defeats the great advantage tablets have - high portability. Frankly, just about any physically connected peripheral immediately makes a tablet more awkward.

It sounds like you mainly just want a tablet because it's lightweight. A MacBook Air or Ultrabook will be a few more ounces, but will fit your workflow much better.

james2025a
03-13-12, 10:11 AM
Well thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I am taking my time before i buy anything at all and need to get a good hands on with all that is available. I truly want something that will be light and portable and that will do basic office work on the go. I will keep checking throughout the summer and see what there is to offer.

Sdallnct
03-13-12, 10:34 AM
Not to mix threads, but this is IMO one of the very big reasons Apple is winning the tablet wars. Many other tablet makers are still trying to make a tablet a laptop. They are not. It is not to say the tablet is the best in all situations. It is not. And even for me replacing a netbook with a tablet, I will still have my work laptop (we cannot mix personal and business usage).

But the point being, even if my company allowed it, a tablet would not be a good sub for my work laptop. The amount of typing, the storage, etc it just doesn't make sense.

But when I take inventory of what I use my personal netbook for (net surfing, facebook, banking, shopping, netflex, basic photo editing, watching youTube video's, Hulu, etc) A tablet will actually be better for much of these. In addition, I now have about a dozen books I've read on my iPhone and always keep a movie or two on there if I get stuck on a plane (planes are so tight now it is even a pain to get out my 10" netbook!). A tablet will be tons better for this.

What do I lose? 160 gig of HD storage. Well I have my HD about full. But it is probably 80% full of music and movies. This is now available on iCloud.

I'll lose a good, full sized keyboard. Well....I'll get a BT one to leave in the hotel for any heavy typing. But I don't do that as often as you might think.

I'll lose full MS Office. I rarely use anything but Word. And in fact probably don't use Word even once a week. Maybe a couple times a month. And for that I can use iWorks and email or wait for Word to come out on iOS.

My only concern now is storage of photos. I love how the iPad will make it easy to edit photos. But what do I do with them after? I use my iPhone (and soon iPad) as a photo album. I'll find a solution.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
03-13-12, 11:22 AM
Define "a lot of stored data." More than 64GB? If not, just get the 64GB iPad.

you can get a 64gb playbook for $200. Of course, it's in a different class than an iPad, but if storage is your main concern, then it could be an option.

Sdallnct
03-13-12, 11:28 AM
you can get a 64gb playbook for $200. Of course, it's in a different class than an iPad, but if storage is your main concern, then it could be an option.

Good call! That might be a good option for him since he also mentions his dislike of iTunes.

And cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, he can still get a lappy and use the HP for really, really nice smart e-reader.

gr8vette
03-14-12, 12:23 PM
You know, it really does sound like James2025a does not want a tablet. For his needs, he would best be covered by the $999 Macbook Air.

It is as small and light as an iPad, wicked fast, and makes NO compromises as a computer. It can run full versions of ANY application and it supports all the external storage one could ever want.

Best yet, it could serve as his primary computer in his office AND be used to take notes at his meetings!

Superboy
03-15-12, 01:53 AM

It's the same reason why Apple had market dominance until the early 90s; the PC ecosystem was fractious and overly complicated. Until you see the big manufacturers streamline their product lines and agree upon some industry standards, the iPad is going to rule the market.

Tracer Bullet
03-15-12, 08:26 AM
It's the same reason why Apple had market dominance until the early 90s; the PC ecosystem was fractious and overly complicated. Until you see the big manufacturers streamline their product lines and agree upon some industry standards, the iPad is going to rule the market.

What? Apple never had dominance in the PC market.

slop101
03-15-12, 11:16 AM
Availabilty of the iPad 3 when it comes out will be a factor.There will be plenty.

james2025a
03-24-12, 06:55 PM
So a mate offered me a brand new in the box iPad 1 (16gb wifi) with a hard cover case and charger. $275. I am considering it for the things that i would be using it for...but no idea if the price is reasonable. I see Amazon is still charging close to $500 for this....which is of course silly. It would work for me for the time being and then at a later date if the Asus still impresses i could always go for that. Any thoughts on if its worth it?

kgrogers1979
03-24-12, 07:06 PM
You can get a 64 GB iPad 1 for $300, so I think $275 for only 16 GB is a bit too much.

james2025a
03-24-12, 07:09 PM
You can get a 64 GB iPad 1 for $300, so I think $275 for only 16 GB is a bit too much.

From where? I am in Puerto Rico.....so certainly not anywhere here. LOL

james2025a
03-24-12, 10:19 PM
Actually i mentioned this fact to him and the price has dropped to $235. Sounding better.

ugabuga
03-25-12, 02:20 PM
Asus Transformer Prime here... I tried the Ipad 3 out but just can't stand the limitations of the device. On the other hand I see why it does so well. Tons of apps an IOS is stupid easy. For me personally.... it was frustrating at times. The hardware is nice though. The new screen is gorgeous but a tad over hyped. The Prime does better on direct sunlight and is somewhat usable though still has crazy reflections.

1. No flash is really limiting when surfing the web. Everything is a app
2. Lack of customizing the os..for example hate the keyboard and cannot change it.
3. No ports.. putting my own content on this is just horrible. Really only for content purchased from iTunes.

On the other hand I am a geek so for me the Prime is a better purchase. Being able to grab a sd card with media, copy files from PC back n forth, output via HDMI, etc is just to handy on a expensive device.

However Android has a ton of issues and out of the box I find most manufacturers tabs are lacking. Thank god for competition so people can get a device that meets their needs.

james2025a
03-25-12, 02:25 PM
Well i have been very impressed with the Asus 700n Infinity that i think is coming out in June, but for $235 i am having a hard time passing on this iPad. I am due to look at it this week, but sounds like it is practically untouched. It will do me for the moment, then when the 700 is released i will check that out and maybe that will be a birthday present to myself later in the year. Using the iPad will give me a good idea on how useful and practical the tablets are and how much they help me in day to day work.

Groucho
03-25-12, 02:36 PM
1. No flash is really limiting when surfing the web.Less and less every day. Flash is on it's way out (good news regardless of how you surf the web).

Mr. Salty
03-25-12, 03:48 PM
3. No ports.. putting my own content on this is just horrible. Really only for content purchased from iTunes.
Gee, I have lots of content on my iPad that wasn't purchased from iTunes. In fact, most of my content doesn't come from iTunes. The iPad's dock connector is, in fact, a port. (Yes, it would be nice to have USB, but I've not found the dock connector to be a limitation.)

Deftones
03-25-12, 04:19 PM
Less and less every day. Flash is on it's way out (good news regardless of how you surf the web).

still doesn't help you today.

Jason
03-25-12, 04:31 PM
No ports.. putting my own content on this is just horrible. Really only for content purchased from iTunes.

Sounds more like the Kindle Fire than the iPad to me (substituting iTunes for Amazon's content, of course)

Apple does need to open up access to the device for file movement on (and more importantly off) of the iPad. it the biggest weakness I see in the platform.

fumanstan
03-25-12, 04:46 PM
Sounds more like the Kindle Fire than the iPad to me (substituting iTunes for Amazon's content, of course)

Apple does need to open up access to the device for file movement on (and more importantly off) of the iPad. it the biggest weakness I see in the platform.

Eh? The Kindle Fire is pretty easy to put your own content on, you can just drag and drop anything you want like a USB drive.

Sdallnct
03-25-12, 07:15 PM

Yea...maybe if they would do that, they would actually sell a few of those silly little iPads.

Or maybe, just maybe someone will come out with a tablet with USB ports and they will surely outsell the iPad.

ugabuga
03-25-12, 07:45 PM
Sales doesn't mean the best product for everyone.

Yes i know i can go out and buy extra devices to do hdmi mirroring and i suppose to attempt to copy files back and forth but for me the extra cost on top of a exp device just doesn't add up for me. Nice to be able to grab my dig cam and plug it right into the tab.

For $600 i got myself a ICS Prime with 64gb internal space that really fits the bell for me better. Now i may tinker with jailbreaking the Ipad to see what that allows. Customizing android to fit needs is a plus for me along with widgets and other cool crap. However, this stuff does tend to slow down. I do like the immense amout of apps on the Ipad though, many of which are not on Android. Digging the Bright-house tv app right now.

I keep hearing flash is on the way out. While this is true, right now tons of sites i surf use it. Hell, sites like nba.com for example which sucks on the Ipad. It is still a big deal and one i hear from regular users at work of the Ipad.

Now, would i buy a Android tab for my parents with no assistance at all from me... probably not but then again you can get tegra 2 devices pretty cheap from last year.

Both platforms have strengths and weaknesses and its up to the user to get what works best. Right now, cant deny for the majority the Ipad is owning.

kgrogers1979
03-25-12, 08:52 PM
Or maybe, just maybe someone will come out with a tablet with USB ports and they will surely outsell the iPad.

The Toshiba Thrive has USB ports.

The Asus Transformer's optional docking keyboard also has USB ports.

Sdallnct
03-25-12, 08:53 PM
Don't get me wrong, I use to be in the same boat with you. I wouldn't touch a iPad due to no SD slot, no way to hook up an external drive, limited memory, etc, etc.

But the "light bulb" went on for me when I realized, I was just trying to make the tablet a laptop. It is not, and was not intended to be.

I mean if you want a hard keyboard (like the Prime offers), mass storage, etc wouldn't you just be better off with an Ultrabook?

You are right. An iPad it not for everyone. But I'd argue no tablet is right if your trying to turn it into a laptop. Just get a laptop. That's why I'm not waiting for Win 8 tablets. All they will be is a touch screen laptop (hopefully for MS and the PC market, a well done, slick, fast, seemless touch screen PC).

I took inventory of what I use my netbook (and love). I mainly surf, email, facebook, basic photo editing, watch netflix, movies, youtube, music, bank, pay bills, etc. All of these are better on the iPad. I also do occasionally use MS Office. So that will be a minor hiccup (I rarely create finished doc's I just do idea's and get started, so I'll be able to do that on the iPad). My netbook has a 160 gb hard drive and it is almost full. But 85% of that is music and movies. So iCloud to the rescue (which is the only reason I'm getting an iPad now). I don't game, but there are better games for the iPad than I could ever play on my netbook. And lately I've been reading book on my iPhone which obviously I wouldn't even try on my netbook, and will be great on the iPad.

I just no long have a need to do what a PC does it's best at.

I'm sure there will be a time that I want to pull a movie from iCloud and I can't find a net connection. But I can live with that on occasion. I have lived with my netbook taking a 90 seconds to turn on, being cramped on a plane with it, and even not finding a net connection for it.

I think I'm ready to take the plunge and replace my laptop (netbook) with the iPad. Hope to find one this week. And I've had a personal laptop of some sort for 12+ years.

Sdallnct
03-25-12, 08:54 PM
The Toshiba Thrive has USB ports.

The Asus Transformer's optional docking keyboard also has USB ports.

And yet they don't outsell the iPad...do they?

I'll admit to being a bit of a smart ass with my comment. I'll take it back.

fumanstan
03-25-12, 09:08 PM
And here I thought we had enough pages of your musings about the iPad versus your netbook in the other thread.

ugabuga
03-26-12, 03:50 PM
I like my netbook also LOL...its become my low power torrent machine!

james2025a
03-29-12, 09:08 AM
Well i bought my mates iPad and to be honest even though i have only used it a couple of hours, i think its going to do the job for the near future. I synched it with my iTunes (apps from my iPod Touch) and took it into a meeting this morning and it helped a lot. Just taking notes, quickly running through the calendar and sending a couple of emails. Perfect for what i need.

Xander
03-29-12, 09:19 AM
I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Seems to be great for what I need so far.

Tracer Bullet
03-29-12, 09:20 AM
I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Seems to be great for what I need so far.

You're the one!

GreenMonkey
03-29-12, 12:56 PM
On the other hand I am a geek so for me the Prime is a better purchase. Being able to grab a sd card with media, copy files from PC back n forth, output via HDMI, etc is just to handy on a expensive device.

However Android has a ton of issues and out of the box I find most manufacturers tabs are lacking. Thank god for competition so people can get a device that meets their needs.

My wife recently switched from an Ipad 1 to the Transformer Prime. She loves the Transformer - especially with the keyboard attached - does a lot of email/facebook/etc that way.

She likes that she can use the same apps and the Android market makes it very easy to install apps from across multiple accounts (good for the family). And she likes not having to use itunes and mess with syncing - she can just drop photos, music, pdfs, etc onto it.

And she does like that I can help her do fun stuff on it (like play Maniac Mansion via ScummVM).

Didn't help that she never really liked iTunes that much and was constantly messing around just to transfer pdfs and such. She loved it but she loves the Transformer Prime now too.

I'm running a Toshiba Thrive myself. I love plugging in a real NES controller via a USB adapter and playing emulated games on it (USB controller is good for games like Sonic CD also). I wouldn't touch a port-less, sdcard-less iPad and syncing with iTunes with a 10 foot pole. I consider the Thrive kind of a geek's tablet (nice to be able to plug a USB flash drive, HDD, controller, etc into it).

I do like to tease her that she might as well have a netbook considering the Prime is being used with its keyboard an awful lot. :p

RichC2
03-29-12, 01:26 PM

Have one of those as well, been using it a lot for travel as of late.

Sdallnct
03-29-12, 01:43 PM
My wife recently switched from an Ipad 1 to the Transformer Prime. She loves the Transformer - especially with the keyboard attached - does a lot of email/facebook/etc that way.

She likes that she can use the same apps and the Android market makes it very easy to install apps from across multiple accounts (good for the family). And she likes not having to use itunes and mess with syncing - she can just drop photos, music, pdfs, etc onto it.

And she does like that I can help her do fun stuff on it (like play Maniac Mansion via ScummVM).

Didn't help that she never really liked iTunes that much and was constantly messing around just to transfer pdfs and such. She loved it but she loves the Transformer Prime now too.

I'm running a Toshiba Thrive myself. I love plugging in a real NES controller via a USB adapter and playing emulated games on it (USB controller is good for games like Sonic CD also). I wouldn't touch a port-less, sdcard-less iPad and syncing with iTunes with a 10 foot pole. I consider the Thrive kind of a geek's tablet (nice to be able to plug a USB flash drive, HDD, controller, etc into it).

I do like to tease her that she might as well have a netbook considering the Prime is being used with its keyboard an awful lot. :p

I think you have said it really well. Well except for the iTunes bashing. I've never had a problem with iTunes. And it's not like your Thrive just magically has content. It has to be hooked to something to get content.

Also not sure of the inference that the iPad is not for geeks. Could argue that with its "closed" ecosystem you have to be more geeky to get around it (jailbreaking, using other storage options, etc).

But I agree with your point. For those that want a touch screen netbook, you should go non-iPad.

I purposely held off getting a BT keyboard. I know I'll get one eventually. But I really want to commit to the tablet experience. For me it would be to easy to just make my iPad a netbook.