Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Carter (2012, Director: Stanton, Star: Kitsch) -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of John Carter?
Awesome!
22.62%
It was Good, not great
33.33%
Meh, It was just alright
20.24%
Hated it. It sucked
5.95%
I have Zero Interest in this movie
13.10%
Will wait until the BD comes out in 4-6 months. Too lazy to see it in theatres.
4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Trailer:

<iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.html#vid=25973247&repeat=0&browseCarouselUI=hide&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fmovie%2Fjohn-carter%2Ftrailers%2Fjohn-carter-theatrical-trailer-25973247.html&startScreenCarouselUI=hide"></iframe>

Synopsis:

War-weary, former military captain John Carter is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris. In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/john-carter/

Running Time= 132 Minutes

With this opening today, I think it's time for an Updated Reviews Thread for people seeing it this weekend. I know David777 created a Review thread a few weeks ago with Poll, but the formatting got a little jacked up.
Old 03-09-12, 05:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: John Carter (2012, Director: Stanton, Star: Kitsch) -- The Reviews Thread

Ran it in IMAX tonight. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. The action was generally strong, the pacing was not. Also, was this shot digitally, because the blacks were crushed all to hell.
Old 03-09-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'd already created a non-"Pixar" reviews thread, but the mods never fixed the poll formatting. It's good to now have a fresh thread so I don't have to keep thinking about that one.
Old 03-09-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Ran it in IMAX tonight. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. The action was generally strong, the pacing was not. Also, was this shot digitally, because the blacks were crushed all to hell.
Sounds racist
Old 03-09-12, 09:14 PM
Banned by request

It was. Really racist.
Old 03-09-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Lynn Collins, I would do. Hard.
Old 03-09-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Reviewers are nuts. The film was a blast. As Supermallet posted, I think pacing is the only real weakness of the film. General pacing issues aside, there was a perfect amount of humor. I tend to tire of the non-stop one liners that most action flicks feel they must need these days, but here the humor is few and far between but well placed.

I know people in the other thread were saying Disney fucked up by casting virtual unknowns but Kitsch and Collins nailed it.

Also, this is a Disney flick and there's no trailer for Brave? Disney? We get some Tyler Perry nonsense, Battleship crap and some other lame trailer.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 03-09-12 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We got the trailers for:

Madagascar 3
Prometheus
The Avengers (newest one)
Old 03-10-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Also, this is a Disney flick and there's no trailer for Brave? Disney? We get some Tyler Perry nonsense, Battleship crap and some other lame trailer.
Disney attached The Avengers trailer to John Carter as it comes out sooner than Brave.
Old 03-10-12, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I saw it in 3D today and there was a new trailer for Brave. I also saw the new Avengers trailer, Madagascar 3 and the usual ones for Battleship and Lockout or whatever that Guy Pearce space prison movie is.

As I said in the other thread, I thought John Carter was okay in general but better than I expected. I agree on the humor - there are some genuinely funny moments that don't come across as forced. It had great action, some good plot twists and, despite being a little slow in the middle and a tiny bit confusing (they throw a lot of Martian names at you in a short period of time), it was a pretty decent flick.
Old 03-10-12, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn, no Avengers triler for me either. I got screwed in the trailer department. Three Stooges was the third one. All turds.
Old 03-10-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For anyone who's gotten a whiff of the trailer, it's no mystery that earthman "John Carter" somehow shows up on Mars, with extraordinary physical abilities (the most obvious one is the ability to jump high, very high and far, and land without hurting himself too much due to the lower gravity on Mars, similar to Hulk's jumping abilities), as a movie, it does a lot of the technical stuff well, showing us 3 different sets of Martians, with 2 sets of humanoids at war for a long time, and the taller, green-skinned 4-armed Tharks, who pretty much stay on the sidelines. John Carter, himself scarred by the conflicts his military service entailed in the mid-1800s, wants no part of this Martian war, and appears to be emotionally bottled up at the start of his Martian adventures.

There's a lot of material to cover in this film, but the script causes the film to sputter in the middle, and the motivations of the various characters are threadbare, and not quite involving. I'd say the film over-reached on the politics of Mars, and the plot developments don't quite unravel in a natural manner, which lends to itself to a lazy meandering energy level in terms of intensity of the stakes involved for Carter (I blame this lazy tone on the direction of Andrew Stanton), and the 2 humanoid factions at war with one another.

Due to the initial reddish white balance of the Martian atmosphere at the start of Carter's arrival on Mars, it's not quite all that pleasing to the eye, but there is a lot to stare at, as far as the Martian terrain goes, as well as the cities, the set designs, the technology designs, so I can't say it's really boring, just that the film never finds a groove to settle in. With much of the film's Martian terrain scenes shot on location (not in a studio with green screens), the film oddly has a hazy nondescript, unfocased look to it, rendering it less interesting than I had thought it would look.

Taylor Kitsch's casting as John Carter might have been a mis-step, he simply doesn't quite have disarming charm at his disposal as an actor, and comes across far too one-note for most of the film (the reluctant warrior, always looking to avoid physical conflict, but never quite managing to escape them), and has a difficult time raising his game as an actor, but it was like the director was afraid for push Kitsch, so his acting was average. I think it limited director Stanton's choices for camera angles, as he rarely pushed in on actors to rev up the emotional components that propelled the plotlines. Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris was actually okay for me, I wasn't thrilled with her casting (plus it being a Disney film, I knew her wardrobe would be much more modest than the source material previously alluded to for her character), but she won me over for the most part, even with an accent that moved around from scene to scene.

The 3D is pretty much a non-factor in this film, I put the credit/blame at Stanton's feet, so if you want to save a few $$$$, go for the 2D showing.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 03-10-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I saw it in 3D today and there was a new trailer for Brave.
Was it the archery one, or something newer?
Old 03-10-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We got the archery one at my showing.
Old 03-10-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Was it the archery one, or something newer?
The archery one, which I hadn't seen prior to this.
Old 03-10-12, 11:03 AM
Banned by request

Since we're talking trailers, my IMAX is showing To The Arctic, The Hobbit, and Wrath of the Titans before John Carter.
Old 03-10-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Patman
There's a lot of material to cover in this film, but the script causes the film to sputter in the middle, and the motivations of the various characters are threadbare, and not quite involving. I'd say the film over-reached on the politics of Mars, and the plot developments don't quite unravel in a natural manner, which lends to itself to a lazy meandering energy level in terms of intensity of the stakes involved for Carter (I blame this lazy tone on the direction of Andrew Stanton), and the 2 humanoid factions at war with one another.
It's definitely very dense and there is a ton of ground to cover in this film. However I did find it far more interesting than anything the prequel trilogy offered up or that warmed over Pocahontas plot Avatar gave us.
Old 03-10-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks for the info on Brave guys....I'd like to see that trailer on the big screen as opposed to my comp.
Old 03-10-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Actually took in a 2D showing because I missed the 3D and from what I have read glad I did. The movie looked nice, but boy was it dull and plodding for the most part. Snappy visuals will only take you so far, and this one failed outside of that area. Taylor Kitsch and most of the cast were okay, but Lynn Collins was horrific. I don't know how she got so bad, as she did a rather good job in Merchant of Venice and other stuff. Obviously she wasn't hired for her acting ability. I wonder if Wolverine knows Gambit is shagging his girl? In all honesty, by the time the movie was over it seemed as though Carter was more or less in it to get some space booty.

I would have voted that it was alright, but I was bored too much of the time so I just voted "sucked". I honestly don't know how someone could look at that script and think $250 million was justified.
Old 03-10-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Actually took in a 2D showing because I missed the 3D and from what I have read glad I did. The movie looked nice, but boy was it dull and plodding for the most part. Snappy visuals will only take you so far, and this one failed outside of that area. Taylor Kitsch and most of the cast were okay, but Lynn Collins was horrific. I don't know how she got so bad, as she did a rather good job in Merchant of Venice and other stuff. Obviously she wasn't hired for her acting ability. I wonder if Wolverine knows Gambit is shagging his girl? In all honesty, by the time the movie was over it seemed as though Carter was more or less in it to get some space booty.

I would have voted that it was alright, but I was bored too much of the time so I just voted "sucked". I honestly don't know how someone could look at that script and think $250 million was justified.

Really? I thought Collins was great.
Old 03-10-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought Collins was great as well.
Old 03-10-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

What do you mean by this? The contrast was too high and the blacks were too dark?
Old 03-10-12, 04:44 PM
Banned by request

Now that I'm not posting after suffering from a tremendous lack of sleep, I didn't mean the blacks were crushed. I mean the blacks weren't black. They were blue-ish with a lot of noise, hence my thought that the film was shot digitally.
Old 03-10-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Saw it with my dad this afternoon. We both enjoyed it, but he had never heard of the books before and found it too similar to a Star Wars movie. I had my own issues with it, but mainly because I read the book last fall and it was difficult not to keep noting all the changes in my head.

Some of my nitpicks/observations:
Spoiler:
- John Carter should have been played by an older, more rugged actor and Dejah Thoris should have been portrayed a bit softer. She was a feisty character in the book, but not the sword wielding, ass-kicking scientist woman we see in this film. Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins did not make a good onscreen couple in my opinion. I felt he came across more feminine than she did throughout most of the movie. Both performances were fine on their own, but I just didn't sense any sparks between the two.

- Mark Strong's character was not in the book "A Princess of Mars", so I was a bit confused as to his inclusion here. I've only read the first novel, so I assume he plays a role in later installments. Still, that transporter device was not how JC got to Barsoom in the book and all the stuff with the blue energy source was something I don't remember reading about in that first book.

- My major disappointment was them changing the scene where Tars Tarkas kills Tal Hajus for slaying the the mother of his child. John made a point of not killing Hajus in the book because he didn't want to deprive Tarkas of his revenge, yet here JC just chops his head off while Tars watches.

- The arena scene was WAY too reminiscent of Attack of the Clones, especially since it was merely a gladiator death match in the book. They were not pitted against enormous white apes while chained to a rock. I did like that Sola showed some backbone and caused Sarkoja to get ripped in half. Sarkoja was an even bigger bitch in the book, yet she basically got to run away with her tail between her legs. I liked that she got what was coming to her in the film.

- I also miss the ending where he sacrifices himself to restart the oxygen factory, but they probably thought the battle after the wedding ceremony was a good enough climax. I can understand why they dropped it.
I still found it to be a decent adaptation and miles ahead of what those lame trailers were making it out to be. The action and alien effects were fantastic and they shouldn't have shied away from showing more of that in the marketing. It just came across as a redundant, boring mess in the ads -- though most of the critics still seem to think it turned out that way.

Last edited by joe_b; 03-10-12 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 06:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Now that I'm not posting after suffering from a tremendous lack of sleep, I didn't mean the blacks were crushed. I mean the blacks weren't black. They were blue-ish with a lot of noise, hence my thought that the film was shot digitally.
yet what I can gather by looking at the tech specs from imdb - this looks like it was shot on 35mm not digitally. why the black levels aren't as deep and dark as they should be seems odd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.