Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Simple Minds "x5" box set

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone interested, Simple Minds' new box set "x5", can now be had for about $22 shipped from Amazon sellers. It's a collection of the 2002 remasters of their first five albums. Some excellent stuff on there:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GHd4zvMjDgs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-08-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Simple Minds "x5" box set

I've got it (2 copies, actually. Amazon UK's shitty packaging caused teh first to be damaged). It is good and plenty of bang for the buck considering it is 6 discs.

I only wish the tour was coming to the States.
Old 03-08-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just ordered it. The only one I already had was New Gold Dream, so not much of a double dip for me. Yes, I would love to see this tour---I haven't heard if there's any chance of them continuing it over here.
Old 03-09-12, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're still going???? Wow....I guess Jim's got a lot of stamina. What's the name of their latest original studio album?
Old 03-09-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're one of the few bands that I like all eras of their career, and I've mostly kept up with them. They've done some good stuff in the 2000s. Their last album was Graffiti Soul----I liked it quite a bit:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gi0gDhCNmjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-09-12, 12:04 PM

A brilliant band at their peak back in the 1980's. One of teh best that Scotland have ever produced. The intro to 'Waterfront' still packs a punch all these years later.

That's superb value for money too.
Old 03-10-12, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shinkicker
A brilliant band at their peak back in the 1980's. One of teh best that Scotland have ever produced. The intro to 'Waterfront' still packs a punch all these years later.

That's superb value for money too.
Yeah, they honestly used to be my all time favorite band in the world back in the late 80's/early 90's. I couldn't get enough of them and would constantly put their music on repeat endlessly.

Doing so however, took its toll and I eventually got burned out on Simple Minds. Their lackluster Good News from the World or whatever it's called album didn't help matters much, and I just kinda out grew them in the late 90's, especially after re-discovering some of my other all time favorite bands such as Echo & The Bunnymen and theThe.

I still like Simple Minds a lot though, and will give Grafitti Soul a gander when I get a chance
Old 03-10-12, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ky-Fi, I wish I could say the same about liking all phases of this band. Back in 1984 I used to walk around saying that I thought Simple Minds was better than U2. Two years later I was very disappointed about the direction they were going. Two more years and I almost started hating them and they never got the mojo back. I've listened to all their albums the past 20 years and only thought some of it was interesting.

I'm happy with my current collection and won't buy X5, but it certainly does look cool. That "Premonition" clip you posted is mind blowing. There is a really good BBC doc (available on YouTube) about the punk/new wave explosion making it's way to American from Britain called How The Brits Rocked America (episode three deals with that time period). It's worth viewing even if you think you know the whole story. Jim Kerr mentions how the above video was their first ever performance in the U.S. Lou Reed and Iggy Pop were at the show in New York. Then the next night they played for a tiny audience upstate and realized it might not be that easy to crack the U.S. Anyway, I'm so happy that concert is available to see.
Old 03-10-12, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've lost interest over the years as well. I think that Sparkle In The Rain is their last great album, and Street Fighting Years is the last I really have an interest in listening to all the way through. I've heard all of the rest, save for Cry and Neapolis, and they don't do much for me.
Old 03-10-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read about that documentary somewhere, atlantamoi, and then forgot about looking it up---I will definitely check that out.

I see where you guys are coming from, and I won't argue that any of their later work topped their work up through Sparkle in the Rain, but for some reason that Kerr/Burchill combo appeals to me enough that I always find at least a couple songs I love (and that seem to capture the old magic for me) on every release. I was a much bigger U2 fan in 1984, but for some reason U2's releases just haven't resonated with me after the early 90s. I've also been really impressed with lot of the cover songs Simple Minds has released too---I think they come up with pretty good takes:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oNViXGfxOpw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-10-12, 12:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Empires And Dance is an amazing album. I also prefer their stuff through the mid 80's but those first few albums are the best they ever did. I need to check out some of their later stuff.
Old 03-11-12, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
That "Premonition" clip you posted is mind blowing. There is a really good BBC doc (available on YouTube) about the punk/new wave explosion making it's way to American from Britain called How The Brits Rocked America (episode three deals with that time period). It's worth viewing even if you think you know the whole story.
I've never heard of this documentary so thank you for mentioning it. Is it a recent doc, and can you tell me if it's available on DVD or maybe on google video?
Old 03-11-12, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OutRun2
I've never heard of this documentary so thank you for mentioning it. Is it a recent doc, and can you tell me if it's available on DVD or maybe on google video?
It aired on BBC TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH6lnKttYG4

The series starts in the 60's. Ep. 3 is when the late 70's/early 80's kicks in.
Old 03-12-12, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
It aired on BBC TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH6lnKttYG4

The series starts in the 60's. Ep. 3 is when the late 70's/early 80's kicks in.
Thanks.
Old 10-04-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...ive-tracklist/

Simple Minds detail ‘5X5 Live’ album featuring songs originally recorded from 1979-1982
October 4, 2012 6:00 am

Simple Minds last week announced plans to release a double-CD live album culled from this year’s “5×5 Live” tour of Europe, and now comes the full tracklist, which, keeping with the tour’s concept, draws five songs apiece off of each of the band’s first five albums: Life In A Day, Real To Real Cacophony, Empires and Dance, Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Calling and New Gold Dream (81, 82, 83, 84).

The 5X5 Live set, which also features a handful of bonus tracks, will be packaged in a clamshell box with a 24-page booklet and a 25-inch by 25-inch tour poster, according to the band. It is set for release Nov. 19 via EMI initially in Europe, Japan, Canada, Taiwan, Israel and Russia.

Although the band hasn’t announced a U.S. release for 5X5 Live, the album will be available for pre-sale shortly for members at SimpleMinds.com, according to the band.

CD1:
1. Intro
2. “I Travel”
3. “Thirty Frames A Second”
4. “Today I Died Again”
5. “Celebrate”
6. “Life In A Day”
7. “Calling Your Name”
8. “Scar”
9. “King Is White And In The Crowd”
10. “Hunter And The Hunted”
11. “Wasteland”
12. “Love Song”
13. “This Fear Of Gods”
14. “Pleasantly Disturbed”
15. “Room”

CD2:
1. “The American”
2. “70 Cities As Love Brings The Fall”
3. “In Trance As Mission”
4. “Sons And Fascination”
5. “Sweat In Bullet”
6. “Changeling”
7. “Factory”
8. “Big Sleep”
9. “Premonition”
10. “Promised You A Miracle”
11. “Someone Somewhere In Summertime”
12. “Theme For Great Cities”
13. “Glittering Prize”
14. “Someone”
15. “Chelsea Girl”
16. “New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)”

Old 10-05-12, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...ive-tracklist/

Simple Minds detail ‘5X5 Live’ album featuring songs originally recorded from 1979-1982
October 4, 2012 6:00 am

Simple Minds last week announced plans to release a double-CD live album culled from this year’s “5×5 Live” tour of Europe, and now comes the full tracklist, which, keeping with the tour’s concept, draws five songs apiece off of each of the band’s first five albums: Life In A Day, Real To Real Cacophony, Empires and Dance, Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Calling and New Gold Dream (81, 82, 83, 84).

The 5X5 Live set, which also features a handful of bonus tracks, will be packaged in a clamshell box with a 24-page booklet and a 25-inch by 25-inch tour poster, according to the band. It is set for release Nov. 19 via EMI initially in Europe, Japan, Canada, Taiwan, Israel and Russia.

Although the band hasn’t announced a U.S. release for 5X5 Live, the album will be available for pre-sale shortly for members at SimpleMinds.com, according to the band.

CD1:
1. Intro
2. “I Travel”
3. “Thirty Frames A Second”
4. “Today I Died Again”
5. “Celebrate”
6. “Life In A Day”
7. “Calling Your Name”
8. “Scar”
9. “King Is White And In The Crowd”
10. “Hunter And The Hunted”
11. “Wasteland”
12. “Love Song”
13. “This Fear Of Gods”
14. “Pleasantly Disturbed”
15. “Room”

CD2:
1. “The American”
2. “70 Cities As Love Brings The Fall”
3. “In Trance As Mission”
4. “Sons And Fascination”
5. “Sweat In Bullet”
6. “Changeling”
7. “Factory”
8. “Big Sleep”
9. “Premonition”
10. “Promised You A Miracle”
11. “Someone Somewhere In Summertime”
12. “Theme For Great Cities”
13. “Glittering Prize”
14. “Someone”
15. “Chelsea Girl”
16. “New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)”

WOW, what a coincidence you bumped this thread, as I nwas JUST listening to Sparkle in the Rain and Once Upon a Time yesterday!! Wow I would've given ANYTHING to be able to attend that concert!!!

But wait.....no word on a DVD/BluRay release?
Old 10-29-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New album "Big Music" getting some very positive early reviews. New single:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Pax-oSrfniQ?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Pax-oSrfniQ?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 10-30-14, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meh, very generic sounding, sadly. I am a die-hard fan of theirs from Chelsea Girl through Waterfront. They were a freaking juggernaut during that time period - each new album was revelatory and they grew by leaps and bounds between releases. It seemed impossible that they could top their last album but they did, as if they had made a deal with the Devil, and it seemed they could do no wrong. But then they caught the U2 bug and lost their way. Derek and Micheal said fuck it and so, eventually, did I.

Ah, but the memories.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gHShzslJvHQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-30-14, 04:47 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
New album "Big Music" getting some very positive early reviews. New single:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Pax-oSrfniQ?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Pax-oSrfniQ?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
I like it. The synths sound stolen from Daft Punk's work on Tron.

What does it mean when I find it more sad and poignant seeing these musicians age than looking in the mirror at my own aging face or looking at my father?
Old 10-30-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I like it. The synths sound stolen from Daft Punk's work on Tron.
I thought that too when I first heard it. Here's another one off the new album-

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/NXe6yR6nXsE?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/NXe6yR6nXsE?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 10-31-14, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
Meh, very generic sounding, sadly. I am a die-hard fan of theirs from Chelsea Girl through Waterfront. They were a freaking juggernaut during that time period - each new album was revelatory and they grew by leaps and bounds between releases. It seemed impossible that they could top their last album but they did, as if they had made a deal with the Devil, and it seemed they could do no wrong. But then they caught the U2 bug and lost their way. Derek and Micheal said fuck it and so, eventually, did I.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gHShzslJvHQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm also a die hard SM fan and someone that's very hard to please, so until I hear this so-called "brilliant new album", I'm gonna remain skeptical and agree with every drop of word you said.

Their music from the 80s is just GODLIKE. It's almost fluke-ish how good it is.

New Gold Dream>the entire earth.
Old 11-01-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OutRun2
Their music from the 80s is just GODLIKE. It's almost fluke-ish how good it is.

New Gold Dream>the entire earth.
I really like a lot of their post-80's work, but I agree New Gold Dream is their pinnacle. I saw them on tour last year and they played 5 tracks off it---I was a happy camper.
Old 11-15-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ResIpsa

I don't think this song ("Honest Town") was generic at all. And yes, I think early Simple Minds were the best. But this album (and their last) are pretty damn great. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is probably the second best album they've ever done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWv1ZXnP5Q
Old 11-21-14, 09:20 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

New album is f***ing excellent.
Old 01-23-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got around to getting the new one. Really love it--I might agree it's their best since the 80's. This one is great:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5Z9pcRGa1Fk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.