DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : iOS 5.1 turned my iPhone 4S into a 4G phone

sherm42
03-07-12, 04:17 PM
Just updated to iOs 5.1. Now the status bar at the top which usually reads "3G" states "4G." Nice screwup by Apple?

Groucho
03-07-12, 04:20 PM
Just updated to iOs 5.1. Now the status bar at the top which usually reads "3G" states "4G." Nice screwup by Apple?Well, in their press conference for the 4S Apple claimed that their software would allow 4G speeds over 3G networks. So I guess the icon just reflects that "reality"?

bluetoast
03-07-12, 04:24 PM
They updated that specific portion for AT&T customers.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/ios-5-1-adds-4g-indicator-to-iphone-4s-status-bar-for-att-hspa-coverage/

Supermallet
03-07-12, 04:44 PM
AT&T wanted it to read 4G because they claim HSPA+ is a 4G network, which it isn't. It's a faster 3G network. AT&T's LTE phones read 4G when in HSPA+ areas and 4G LTE when in LTE areas.

sherm42
03-07-12, 04:46 PM
So, it is not really any faster? It just displays differently?

bluetoast
03-07-12, 04:49 PM
It displays differently, but on updated phones when it says 4G, you know (or rather, you expect) it's at least faster than 3G.

Groucho
03-07-12, 04:50 PM
Goes to show that "4G" is pretty much a meaningless term.

Supermallet
03-07-12, 04:54 PM

It's not any faster than it already was. The only thing that has changed is now based on the indicator you'll know whether you're on regular 3G or HSPA+.

fumanstan
03-07-12, 05:15 PM
AT&T wanted it to read 4G because they claim HSPA+ is a 4G network, which it isn't. It's a faster 3G network. AT&T's LTE phones read 4G when in HSPA+ areas and 4G LTE when in LTE areas.

Yeah, since current LTE isn't officially 4G either, it's all good!

Matthew Chmiel
03-07-12, 05:27 PM
Yup.

AT&T only has "4G LTE" available in under 25 cities at this point in time. The only reason Vegas is one of those cities is because companies forced AT&T to have it ready in time for this year's CES. :lol:

Verizon's coverage is significantly better as its available in over 100 cities at the moment. Granted, their rollout started over a year before AT&T's did. However, it's not widespread as either company should be.

The iPad with WiFi + 4G won't be a true test to see how AT&T and Verizon's "4G LTE" can be abused. If Apple releases an iPhone with "4G LTE," then that will be the true test on how well the service can hold up. I remember there were three-to-four weeks (if not longer) periods after the launch of both the iPhone 3G and 3GS where it was damn near impossible to get 3G service. I ended up having both iPhones in EDGE because I would just drive around town with no service anywhere I went.

Kdogg
03-07-12, 06:42 PM

That pretty much sums it up. They should have just gone with the the five razors, I mean 5G.

Supermallet
03-07-12, 07:35 PM
Yup.

AT&T only has "4G LTE" available in under 25 cities at this point in time. The only reason Vegas is one of those cities is because companies forced AT&T to have it ready in time for this year's CES. :lol:

Verizon's coverage is significantly better as its available in over 100 cities at the moment. Granted, their rollout started over a year before AT&T's did. However, it's not widespread as either company should be.

The iPad with WiFi + 4G won't be a true test to see how AT&T and Verizon's "4G LTE" can be abused. If Apple releases an iPhone with "4G LTE," then that will be the true test on how well the service can hold up. I remember there were three-to-four weeks (if not longer) periods after the launch of both the iPhone 3G and 3GS where it was damn near impossible to get 3G service. I ended up having both iPhones in EDGE because I would just drive around town with no service anywhere I went.

I got an iPhone 3G on launch day in Los Angeles and never had those kind of problems.

raven56706
03-08-12, 07:09 AM
i had mine updated and honestly, it is faster for some odd reason...

i used to never get a youtube video to load up fast in NYC in a high rise building... it took me under a minute...

i even have no signal problems than i did before...

whatever was done, it has helped my phone

Sdallnct
03-08-12, 07:34 AM
I updated my iOS via wifi and despite the warning, didn't plug in my phone (I had nearly 95% batter). As it took about 35-40 minutes to do, I got a little nervous. It even seemed to hang a bit during reset (the apple logo was on there for a long time). But it eventually went thru and actually didn't eat up to much battery.

So far haven't noticed much difference. iPhotos is fun and cool. Tho cramped on the iPhone 4. ATT shows having 4G LTE in Dallas, but my phone still shows 3G.

Jay G.
03-08-12, 08:05 AM
So far haven't noticed much difference. iPhotos is fun and cool. Tho cramped on the iPhone 4. ATT shows having 4G LTE in Dallas, but my phone still shows 3G.
You're not going to see any 4G logo on an iPhone 4 ever, since it doesn't have either HSPA+ or LTE.

The iPhone 4S will show "4G" when it's connected to HSPA+ (previously this showed as 3G, but was always faster than 3G HSPA), but will never show "4G LTE" or "LTE" since it doesn't have an LTE radio.

Currently, the only Apple device that can connect to LTE is the upcoming iPad 3 with 4G (which will also be able to access "4G" HSPA+ and 3G HSPA and EDGE).

Edit: The iPad 3 will display "LTE" when connected to an LTE network, as evidenced by pictures on this page:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Tracer Bullet
03-08-12, 09:00 AM
That's pretty shitty. I'm surprised Apple gave in to AT&T on this.

Sdallnct
03-08-12, 10:06 AM
You're not going to see any 4G logo on an iPhone 4 ever, since it doesn't have either HSPA+ or LTE.

The iPhone 4S will show "4G" when it's connected to HSPA+ (previously this showed as 3G, but was always faster than 3G HSPA), but will never show "4G LTE" or "LTE" since it doesn't have an LTE radio.

Currently, the only Apple device that can connect to LTE is the upcoming iPad 3 with 4G (which will also be able to access "4G" HSPA+ and 3G HSPA and EDGE).

Edit: The iPad 3 will display "LTE" when connected to an LTE network, as evidenced by pictures on this page:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Oh, cool. Makes sense. Didn't even think (or notice) if the OP had an S

HN
03-08-12, 03:46 PM
what i do notice on 5.1 (4s) is that there's no more keyboard lag when i type an address in safari. previously used to lag because it was trying to bring up suggested URLs from browsing history. it still does that now now but with no lag in typing.

islandclaws
03-08-12, 04:15 PM
I like the faster camera access, although it's literally milliseconds from what I can tell.

hanshotfirst1138
03-08-12, 07:36 PM

My assumption would be that it's at least supposed to actually make it run faster. Whether it actually will or not, I guess we'll obviously find out.

Strangely, one of the odd side-effects of this update so far for me has peculiarly been at some Wikipedia pages have been displaying with larger text when I turn the phone horizontally. Whether this has to do with the update, or just with something Wikipedia is doing, I have no idea. But he's sort of annoying

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
03-08-12, 08:26 PM
My assumption would be that it's at least supposed to actually make it run faster. Whether it actually will or not, I guess we'll obviously find out.

Strangely, one of the odd side-effects of this update so far for me has peculiarly been at some Wikipedia pages have been displaying with larger text when I turn the phone horizontally. Whether this has to do with the update, or just with something Wikipedia is doing, I have no idea. But he's sort of annoying

Why would hspa+ when showing 4G be faster than hspa+ showing 3G?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
03-08-12, 08:31 PM
Yeah, since current LTE isn't officially 4G either, it's all good!

Maybe not, but I have seen near 50mbps on lte(i realize that some have seen higher) , so I am not really complaining.

hanshotfirst1138
03-08-12, 08:37 PM

OK, let me rephrase that, I hire AT&T aren't lying and it actually does that.

trespoochies
03-08-12, 08:49 PM
Very cool with what we can do with the pictures and cropping. My only gripe is when you crop anything and save it, it replaces the picture, not add it as a new file.

Supermallet
03-08-12, 09:52 PM
The update may include a radio update, which should optimize performance, but it's not going to make the phone go faster than it's been built to go.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
03-09-12, 10:08 AM
They could have boosted power to the radio, and sometimes it depends on time of day and area. On lte, i have seen near 50mbps on the high end, but I have also see maybe 200kbps on the low end in very weak signal conditions. There are many reasons for speed differences.

Kdogg
03-09-12, 11:02 AM
The update may include a radio update, which should optimize performance, but it's not going to make the phone go faster than it's been built to go.

This is possible. I have a Galaxy S with a custom rom that allows you to change the modem. I tried around ten differnet ones until I found the best for my area.

namja
03-09-12, 01:19 PM

In addition to the answers already provided, maybe some optimization from the new iOS? Or perhaps from a clean OS install?

FantasticVSDoom
03-09-12, 02:24 PM
Anyone notice any improvements to battery life on a 4S with this update? It will be nice to finally be able to delete photos from photostream. Just waiting for an untethered jailbreak for it.

Supermallet
03-09-12, 04:43 PM
I'm in the same boat, waiting for an untethered jailbreak. Installed 5.1 on my iPad though, and it feels less sluggish than it did on 5.0.1.

RoboDad
03-09-12, 06:55 PM
Looks like I get to take my 4S down to the Apple Store. After installing 5.1, I am seeing a very odd behavior. Any time I am using an app when email or text message arrives at the phone, I get "kicked out" of the app. It doesn't crash, is just gets suspended. If I bring up the app switcher, I can go back into the app with no problem. It is very annoying.

Chrisedge
03-09-12, 07:15 PM
Very cool with what we can do with the pictures and cropping. My only gripe is when you crop anything and save it, it replaces the picture, not add it as a new file.

Not in iPhoto. You can revert to original picture at anytime. It's supposed to be non-destructive...

Supermallet
03-09-12, 07:53 PM
Looks like I get to take my 4S down to the Apple Store. After installing 5.1, I am seeing a very odd behavior. Any time I am using an app when email or text message arrives at the phone, I get "kicked out" of the app. It doesn't crash, is just gets suspended. If I bring up the app switcher, I can go back into the app with no problem. It is very annoying.

Did you try wiping the phone and restoring?

Sdallnct
03-09-12, 08:33 PM
iPhoto is slick. Fun on my iPhone. Even the slide show w/music is pretty slick. Sure reminds me of the old days of 35mm slide shows, but this is easy and slick. I put together a fun little think in just a few minutes.

RoboDad
03-09-12, 09:45 PM
Did you try wiping the phone and restoring?

I'm doing that now, actually :). Hopefully that will correct the problem. If not, I'll be spending the day at the Apple Store tomorrow.

RoboDad
03-25-12, 06:55 PM
Well, I'm about ready to put a bullet through my iPhone and be done with Apple.

iOS 5.1 is the biggest flop for me of any OS release on any portable device I've ever used. The battery life on both my 4S and my wife's 3GS has been cut to roughly 1/3 of what it was before. Where we both used to get 2-3 days of battery life pretty easily, we now are lucky to last through a single day, even with very light usage of our phones. If we do use them, we have to charge them halfway through the day.

I've tried everything to fix this problem, including a factory reset, reinstall of the OS, and setting my phone up as new again. Even with no apps installed, just having my email/contacts/calendars configured sends the battery straight to the toilet.

The only thing I have found that makes a difference is turning off cellular data. If I do that, the battery behaves somewhat like it did on 5.0.1, but that kind of defeats the purpose of even having a smartphone.

I have tried every reasonable suggestion that has been offered on every blog, forum, support, and news site I can find, and none of them have fixed this problem. If anyone has any other tips or tricks to suggest that might fix the problem I would love to hear them. But as it is now, I consider my iPhone nothing more than a doorstop.

CKMorpheus
03-25-12, 07:02 PM
Well, I'm about ready to put a bullet through my iPhone and be done with Apple.

iOS 5.1 is the biggest flop for me of any OS release on any portable device I've ever used. The battery life on both my 4S and my wife's 3GS has been cut to roughly 1/3 of what it was before. Where we both used to get 2-3 days of battery life pretty easily, we now are lucky to last through a single day, even with very light usage of our phones. If we do use them, we have to charge them halfway through the day.

I've tried everything to fix this problem, including a factory reset, reinstall of the OS, and setting my phone up as new again. Even with no apps installed, just having my email/contacts/calendars configured sends the battery straight to the toilet.

The only thing I have found that makes a difference is turning off cellular data. If I do that, the battery behaves somewhat like it did on 5.0.1, but that kind of defeats the purpose of even having a smartphone.

I have tried every reasonable suggestion that has been offered on every blog, forum, support, and news site I can find, and none of them have fixed this problem. If anyone has any other tips or tricks to suggest that might fix the problem I would love to hear them. But as it is now, I consider my iPhone nothing more than a doorstop.

Have you tried bringing it to the Apple Store for a replacement? They'll swap it out no problem. My battery life and everyone I know has only reported increased battery life from 5.1

RoboDad
03-25-12, 07:16 PM
If the problem only occurred on my phone I might consider that, but it is exactly the same on my wife's 3GS, so i seriously doubt that we both have hardware that failed at the exact same time, and that both failures exactly coincided with the 5.01 -> 5.1 upgrade.

As for reports of increased battery life, I have yet to read any that I find very convincing. Many people on other forums have said that with 5.1 they have "only lost 50% in 12 hours of light/no use" as some kind of improvement. Considering that prior to the upgrade, I observed less than 20% of battery usage in 24 hours of light/no usage, 50% in 12 hours doesn't exactly strike me as an improvement.

Do you get more than 2 days of standby on 5.1 with multiple email accounts, contact sources, and subscribed calendars configured?

One other data point is that my phone, sitting completely idle, reports that I have used it for 2 hours and 35 minutes out of the past 6 hours.