DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Sports pet peeves

NORML54601
03-06-12, 01:02 PM
Got any? Mine is that after every single free throw in every single basketball game after a free throw every other teammate comes and slaps the guy shooting. That and players jumping into each other after doing something good.

starman9000
03-06-12, 01:07 PM
#1: Advancing the ball on a timeout in basketball.

#2: QB fumbles in the NFL being overturned on replay to incomplete passes. The ref should be able to rule it intentional grounding at that point.

Cusm
03-06-12, 01:14 PM
Celebrating a big stop/takle/first down when they were not the person responsible for the play.

Cardsfan111
03-06-12, 01:14 PM
Got any? Mine is that after every single free throw in every single basketball game after a free throw every other teammate comes and slaps the guy shooting.

And it doesn't matter whether it's a made free throw or not.

I've never been a fan of any kind of arrogant "look at me" reaction to something on the field. I know it's commonplace in football (after a catch, TD, sack, etc) and at times I chuckle at the creativity, but I have more respect for the guy who does his job without all of that.

The latest in that trend is the basketball player hitting a three and making some kind of gesture.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5871/3gesture.jpg

Larry C.
03-06-12, 01:58 PM
I can't stand when my team loses. It drives me crazy :shrug:

aktick
03-06-12, 05:18 PM
I can't stand when my team loses. It drives me crazy :shrug:

Which team do you play for?

;)

And that is my pet peeve. :p

Lt Ripley
03-06-12, 05:42 PM
#1: Advancing the ball on a timeout in basketball.

That may be #2 on my list. "Here, we're going to make it easier for you to tie the game at the end." Bullshit rule.

#1 The 5 yard no contact rule in the NFL. "We want NBA scores in the NFL." As if the NFL was boring and had no fans prior to this rule.

#3 Football (soccer) players flopping like toddlers with any contact. They should receive an instant red card and be suspended for three games for acting like a pansy.

cdollaz
03-06-12, 10:15 PM
Dumping a bucket of Gatorade on the coach. It's tired.

davidh777
03-06-12, 10:36 PM
Red Sox complaining about the Yankees' spending

Yankees-Red Sox on ESPN

Celebrating a big stop/takle/first down when they were not the person responsible for the play.

Celebrating tackling the RB after he's ripped off a 38-yard gain.

The Cow
03-06-12, 11:01 PM
The 'Seven Nation Army' chant that goes on during a lot of college football games.

davidh777
03-06-12, 11:31 PM
^Do the Braves fans still do the tomahawk chop?

popcorn
03-06-12, 11:41 PM
And it doesn't matter whether it's a made free throw or not.

I've always said if I became an NBA player I would not to be "dapped up" if just missed the shot. Guess I don't have to worry about that now.

mcnabb
03-07-12, 06:43 AM
-Too many damn commercial breaks during an NFL game, especially a Sunday/Monday Night National game.

-Guys who step out of the batters box after EVERY pitch and adjust their batting gloves like they're an OCD patient (Raul Ibanez does this every at-bat).

-NFL defensive players picking up an offensive guy after they make a tackle. They are your enemy for 60 minutes, you shouldn't be helping them at all during the game!

-NBA Announcers who say after a guy scores while using the backboard, "Did he call it?" OK, it was funny the first 1,000 times, but you don't need to say it everytime a player scores by accident using the backboard!

-When in the NHL they call penalties on both teams: Tripping on the defensemen for taking down the player, but diving on the player for taking a dive. How the hell can you can call someone for tripping when the other player is taking a dive??? Isn't it one or the other?

Mikael79
03-07-12, 09:22 AM
Athletes who make idiotic mistakes, and then laugh/smile.

I'm not expecting them to cry, but they should look serious and not act like it wasn't their fault.

Larry C.
03-07-12, 09:34 AM

;)

I don't play for any but I invest my time and money and emotions into becoming a season ticket holder for "MY" teams.

If you invest in stock is it not your stock? Even though you make no choices or work for the company?

If I played for them I'd probably wouldn't care as much as I do about winning and losing.

Trevor
03-07-12, 09:47 AM
Local blackouts

Goat3001
03-07-12, 09:58 AM
Got any? Mine is that after every single free throw in every single basketball game after a free throw every other teammate comes and slaps the guy shooting. That and players jumping into each other after doing something good.

That doesn't bother me that much. What really bothers me, and I don't get why they even do it, is after a free throw some players will go up and take the ball from the ref and give it back to him. I just don't get it.

#3 Football (soccer) players flopping like toddlers with any contact. They should receive an instant red card and be suspended for three games for acting like a pansy.

Flopping, in any sport, is disgusting and it's worst in soccer. Have some god damn respect for the game. I agree, if a ref catches you flopping they should immediately be penalized for it.

-Too many damn commercial breaks during an NFL game, especially a Sunday/Monday Night National game.

This is the worst. People complain about MLB games lasting too long but the NFL is much worse with all the commercials breaks. Do we really need a commercial break in between the kick off and when the team lines up on offense? It drives me nuts.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
03-07-12, 10:13 AM

;)

As a fan, I don't think saying "my team" is bad...

Saying "we" on the other hand, is different, and is kind of goofy to me unless you're talking about college sports and you actually attended the university in question.

Larry C.
03-07-12, 10:17 AM
Local blackouts

That might me going away soon. I hated this as a kid cause as a kid its not like you can say hell I'll just buy a ticket.

starman9000
03-07-12, 10:18 AM
People thinking that attendance to a university somehow makes it OK to say "we" in reference to a team is one of my pet peeves. ;)

Mikael79
03-07-12, 10:20 AM
People thinking that attendance to a university somehow makes it OK to say "we" in reference to a team is one of my pet peeves. ;)
Here in Iowa, there are a ton of people who never went to the University of Iowa, and yet they still say 'we' about the Hawkeyes and/or the university.

starman9000
03-07-12, 10:20 AM
This is the worst. People complain about MLB games lasting too long but the NFL is much worse with all the commercials breaks. Do we really need a commercial break in between the kick off and when the team lines up on offense? It drives me nuts.

That one gets me too. At least get rid of the timeout after the score or after the kick. Sadly, I'm sure there will only be more commercials in the future.

mcnabb
03-07-12, 10:24 AM
That one gets me too. At least get rid of the timeout after the score or after the kick. Sadly, I'm sure there will only be more commercials in the future.

The NFL is so popular now they can can command a zillion commercials because they have advertising lining up.

I really hate it, and I think it has ruined the flow of alot of NFL games (especially national games). The worst is the first quarter of a Sunday Night NBC game as they try to get as many commercials knowing that is their maximum audience of the night. But as long as the NFL gets great ratings, nothing will change.

uberjoe
03-07-12, 10:24 AM
Flopping in the NBA. Especially when there's no contact -- it's simply cheating. I always hope, after a bullshit call like that, that the wronged player will walk over and just stomp the living shit out of the cheater. Still waiting.

Any choreographed celebration. Especially in the NFL, where it's so common.

American League pitchers who act like tough guys, knowing they'll never be in a position to face retaliation. At least NL pitchers have to step up to the plate.

starman9000
03-07-12, 10:45 AM
Here in Iowa, there are a ton of people who never went to the University of Iowa, and yet they still say 'we' about the Hawkeyes and/or the university.

Yeah, and they are just as much a part of the team as people that did go there. What are the rules for becoming part of the "we"? Graduation? Finishing a semester? Taking an AP course in high school?

To be clear, I don't really care about people using we necessarily, I use it sometimes, but it can bother me how it's used. "We kicked their asses" sounds stupid, but "We need a kicker" seems fine.

fumanstan
03-07-12, 11:07 AM
"We" seems to make more sense if someone attended the school to me, but I don't mind the term being used for all sports.

I hate it when people use generic phrases like having more "heart" or "the team wanted it more" to explain a victory.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I also hate when people talk about having "the best fans in the world." The ones that usually say that are for teams that have fans that often do rotten things.

And the easy one for me is anyone thanking God.

lewisb73
03-07-12, 11:19 AM
As a fan, I don't think saying "my team" is bad...

Saying "we" on the other hand, is different, and is kind of goofy to me unless you're talking about college sports and you actually attended the university in question.

QFT...

Mine is when people bitch about stupid fantasy football on threads that are simply meant for discussion of the actual games... I actually follow games for the games themselves

Dean Kousoulas
03-07-12, 11:51 AM
ESPN running a "hot" story into the ground. Jeremy Lin, Tim Tebow, Brett Farve retirement #87, list goes on and on.

Larry C.
03-07-12, 12:49 PM
"We" seems to make more sense if someone attended the school to me, but I don't mind the term being used for all sports.

I hate it when people use generic phrases like having more "heart" or "the team wanted it more" to explain a victory.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I also hate when people talk about having "the best fans in the world." The ones that usually say that are for teams that have fans that often do rotten things.

And the easy one for me is anyone thanking God.

Wow you must really hate sports. Because sports is one GIANT cliche. :lol:

fumanstan
03-07-12, 12:52 PM
Wow you must really hate sports. Because sports is one GIANT cliche. :lol:

Not really.

mcnabb
03-07-12, 12:58 PM
ESPN running a "hot" story into the ground. Jeremy Lin, Tim Tebow, Brett Farve retirement #87, list goes on and on.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Larry C.
03-07-12, 01:05 PM
Not really.

Almost evertime a player or coach talk they always use cliches Stan.

fumanstan
03-07-12, 01:07 PM

Yes and? That doesn't mean I would hate sports, since the actual play has nothing to do with the cliches. I just try not to listen to people talk about them :)

orangecrush
03-07-12, 02:03 PM
I don't play for any but I invest my time and money and emotions into becoming a season ticket holder for "MY" teams.

If you invest in stock is it not your stock? Even though you make no choices or work for the company?

If I played for them I'd probably wouldn't care as much as I do about winning and losing.When you become an owner of a team (akin to buying stock of a company), you can say we ;)

Yes and? That doesn't mean I would hate sports, since the actual play has nothing to do with the cliches. I just try not to listen to people talk about them :)I actually love hearing certain people talk about sports (mostly PTI and Kornheiser's radio show), just not most current athletes and coaches.

My biggest pet peeve is anytime someone says they gave it 110%.

Larry C.
03-07-12, 02:10 PM
When you become an owner of a team (akin to buying stock of a company), you can say we ;)

I actually love hearing certain people talk about sports (mostly PTI and Kornheiser's radio show), just not most current athletes and coaches.

I don't say "We" I say "My."

Larry C.
03-07-12, 02:11 PM
Yes and? That doesn't mean I would hate sports, since the actual play has nothing to do with the cliches. I just try not to listen to people talk about them :)

Thats different. Try and listen to sports radio for about 30 seconds. :lol:

Lt Ripley
03-07-12, 02:12 PM

Yeah, but they are being asked the same damn questions game in and game out.

The thanking god thing, that irritates me quite often, but not just in sports. God, if there is one, had nothing to fucking do with it.

fumanstan
03-07-12, 02:14 PM
Thats different. Try and listen to sports radio for about 30 seconds. :lol:

I do listen to sports radio. It's not that bad.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
03-07-12, 02:26 PM

My wife loves the Brendan Fraser "Bedazzled" remake (for some reason I can't quite understand), and any time she watches sports with me and hears someone say this, she laughs because all she can think about is the basketball scene from this movie, where he bascially just says this over and over while talking to the reporter.

wirefan
03-07-12, 04:31 PM
The increasing need for NBA players to "sell" fouls... not just flops but now you have the yell (Gasol?) and the head snap when a ball handler feels the slightest contact as if they've been hit with a wrecking ball (Rondo?).

The NFL playing with different timing rules to shorten the game and get more commercials in... For most of the game out of bounds means restart the clock, but in the last 2 min of the 1st half and 5 min of the 2nd half the clock stops?

The NFL using replay to split hairs... it was meant to correct egregious mistakes - if an overturn is not apparent after watching the replay a couple of times, it is not an egregious call. The complete/incomplete pass while going to the ground is a good example of this.

Newer baseball stadiums putting in ridiculous features which just introduce randomness into play. There is a stupid hill in one park and a flag pole. There's a wall in another park made out of brick, chainlink fence and some padding... and the definition of a HR in some areas is where they painted a yellow line on the wall. And you have some stadium with cutout sections which cause the ball to bounce off the wall at strange angles.

Red Dog
03-07-12, 04:54 PM
My wife loves the Brendan Fraser "Bedazzled" remake (for some reason I can't quite understand), and any time she watches sports with me and hears someone say this, she laughs because all she can think about is the basketball scene from this movie, where he bascially just says this over and over while talking to the reporter.

You should have her watch Bull Durham, specifically the scene where Crash teaches Nuke the sports cliches.

kurupt
03-07-12, 06:44 PM
I absolutely hate the NFL on Fox Robot animation. It's about time to retire that damn thing.

Drexl
03-07-12, 07:20 PM
I absolutely hate the NFL on Fox Robot animation. It's about time to retire that damn thing.

When I saw it, I assumed it was some sort of tie-in with Transformers.

Groucho
03-07-12, 07:25 PM
Athletes and others who think that "God" somehow has a vested interest in the result of sporting matches.

Over-zealous parents and coaches at the elementary school level of play.

starman9000
03-07-12, 08:02 PM
You're just pissed because my laser pointing skills caused your daughter to lose.

kenbuzz
03-07-12, 08:06 PM
Celebrating a big stop/takle/first down when they were not the person responsible for the play.Yeah, I hate it when the other 10 players on my team celebrate because a teammate scored a touchdown or some shit like that. :)

I hate it when players give all the credit to God for their victory, but not a single one of them on the other team will blame God for His blatant favoritism.

whoopdido
03-07-12, 10:03 PM
American League pitchers who act like tough guys, knowing they'll never be in a position to face retaliation. At least NL pitchers have to step up to the plate.

Tell that to Robin Ventura.

sportsfan64
03-07-12, 10:10 PM
Can't stand the long hair, especially on football players. I thought I heard a few years back that Goodell was going to make the players at least stuff their ponytails into the back of their jerseys. Guess that never happened.

davidh777
03-07-12, 11:10 PM
Sports radio is fine until people start calling in

Jeremy517
03-08-12, 01:06 AM
The whole "I don't like it when someone not on the team says 'we'" thing is dumb to me. Everyone knows that the person saying "we" isn't really on the team. It is just a shorthand way of referring to a team while also pointing out that you are a fan of that team at the same time. Complaining about someone saying "we" is just trolling.

Similarly, people that complain when someone calls the sport "soccer" instead of "futbol" or "football" are also just trolling.

davidh777
03-08-12, 01:37 AM
I know there's a separate ESPN-hate thread, but I can't stand when they're showing golf highlights and their bottom crawl covers up the cup.

Oh, and there's no way I was cool enough to "get" Stuart Scott's spoken-word tribute to Kentucky's season last weekend. -ohbfrank-

mcnabb
03-08-12, 05:32 AM
Sports radio is fine until people start calling in

I love when people call in with trade ideas, and they are totally one sided for the city you're living in. In Philly, I keep hearing people call in, "Why don't we trade Elton Brand and Andre Iguodala for Dwight Howard?"

:lol:

starman9000
03-08-12, 07:04 AM
The best part is someone will go on to say they wouldn't do that deal. Rubio for Derrick Rose? I don't think so, he's so young you can't give up that sort of potential.

mcnabb
03-08-12, 07:27 AM
The best part is someone will go on to say they wouldn't do that deal. Rubio for Derrick Rose? I don't think so, he's so young you can't give up that sort of potential.

Whenever a 'prospect' is proposed in a trade (especially baseball), the callers go on suicide alert about mortaging the future. A few years ago the Phils had a chance to get Roy Halladay from the BlueJays in a trade, and fans didn't want to give up 3 'prospects.' They never saw any of these guys play in AA or AAA, but because they were labeled by the Phils as 'can't miss' prospects, they shouldn't trade them for a Cy Young Pitcher.

The only thing that pissed me off about 'can't miss prospects' back in the day is I used to buy loads of their rookie cards in hopes that their value would go up when they become a star. Lets just say I have a big box of 'commons' of cant miss prospects! ;)

dvd-4-life
03-08-12, 08:02 AM
NHL-Awarding a team a point for losing in OT(or shootout).

whoopdido
03-11-12, 04:27 PM
My biggest pet peeve is when athletes are put on pedestals for both positive and negative things.

Athletes are just people that happen to make a lot of money for doing things that we can't do...nothing more.

I just saw that Ndamukong Suh was ticketed for going 91 mph in a 55 zone and there are 7 pages of people going on and on about it like it's the greatest crime of all time. People are even complaining about the fact that he was driving a BMW. People pass me going 90 mph every single day.

Give it a rest people. Athletes deserve no better or worse treatment than anybody else. Just because you're a professional football player doesn't mean that speeding is a worse crime than if a high school teacher did it. I hear douche bags like Skip Bayless talking about the "integrity" of the sport and how things are "shameful" and bullshit like that and it just irritates me. I heard some pundits talking about how some of those Giants that were at that nightclub where a gun went off should be suspended and crap like that. Why? They weren't even involved...they were just there. Should a teacher who just happened to be at a restaurant where a brawl happened get suspended even if he/she did nothing other than walk into a building where something bad happened?

People put WAY too much importance on sports and the athletes themselves. Athletes are no more or less important than anybody else. The public doesn't pay their salary. If we're going to talk about inegrity and things being shameful let's talk about the politicians that WE actually do pay.

mcnabb
03-11-12, 07:44 PM
Another big pet peeve is starting tomorrow I have to hear in work all the people who are filling out their brackets and haven't watched one game of College Basketball all season. And I then I have to hear them brag in 2 weeks when they get a few final 8 or final 4 teams on how brilliant they are.

I always say this to shut them up, "Can you name 5 College BBall players??"

Cusm
03-11-12, 11:47 PM
Another big pet peeve is starting tomorrow I have to hear in work all the people who are filling out their brackets and haven't watched one game of College Basketball all season. And I then I have to hear them brag in 2 weeks when they get a few final 8 or final 4 teams on how brilliant they are.

I always say this to shut them up, "Can you name 5 College BBall players??"

Unfortuany those are the ones that win most of the pools.

WallyOPD
03-11-12, 11:50 PM
When Arizona isn't in the NCAA tournament. :mad:

printerati
03-12-12, 07:43 PM
Philadelphia.

whotony
03-12-12, 08:10 PM
Cincinnati.

printerati
03-13-12, 06:12 AM
Case in point. ;)

Michael Corvin
03-15-12, 08:21 PM
When your rival plays at your arena and fans have no respect for the place. A friend of mine witnessed a UK fan breaking a water pipe during the Murray game this morning at the Yum Center. Douchebags.

Unrelated but I've been downtown all day and one of the first people I saw today was a Cat fan rocking a rat tail. Not interested in bucking any stereotypes I guess. :lol:

Red Dog
03-15-12, 08:23 PM
2 non-majors getting matched up in the 1st round.

countedcrow
03-15-12, 09:43 PM
God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch

davidlynchfan
03-15-12, 11:50 PM
Hack-a-Shaq

zekeburger1979
03-16-12, 04:40 PM
Baseball announcers saying that the runner is in scoring position.

No matter which base the runner is on, they're in scoring position since they can score on the batter's next hit, whether it's a single, double, triple, or home run. The batter is also in scoring position since they can hit a home run.

WallyOPD
03-16-12, 05:00 PM
That's just part of the sport's lexicon, though, and has a very specific definition.

Bacon
03-16-12, 05:16 PM

No matter which base the runner is on, they're in scoring position since they can score on the batter's next hit, whether it's a single, double, triple, or home run. The batter is also in scoring position since they can hit a home run.

John Madden does baseball? :p

Arpeggi
03-16-12, 09:37 PM
Backing your racist players because of "you'll never walk alone" bullshit.

whotony
03-16-12, 10:04 PM
Backing your racist players because of "you'll never walk alone" bullshit.

-screwy-

BKenn01
03-17-12, 11:12 AM
Every Broadcaster hyping a team to waltz away with the tournament and basically building them up to an unbeatable Juggernaut. Seems to me the team that is hyped as "The best team in the land" rarely wins the tourney. It was Kansas last year, UK the year before. This year it is UK again (I am a UK fan btw).

mcnabb
03-17-12, 03:41 PM
Every Monday after the first weekend and people complaining their bracket is in the garbage because of the many upsets in the first two rounds (or round 2 and 3 now because of the first four). Then you look at their bracket and 99% of their picks were the high seed, especially when your final four are all #1 seeds! How about someone got out on a limb when they pick their march madness brackets???

Side Note: As for upsets in College BBall this weekend, these are not as big upsets as national sports media leads you to believe. Because of the great players coming out early to the pros in the past 10-15, you rarely have any great teams anymore like there were when players stayed all 4 years at the big schools. A #2-#15 upset 20 years ago would have been an upset, but the smaller schools are catching up to the bigger schools now because they keep their players all 4 years (since very few of them make it to the pros.) You had two #2 seeds get upset yesterday, so that tells you times have changed in College BBall.

Michael Corvin
03-17-12, 04:46 PM
Every Broadcaster hyping a team to waltz away with the tournament and basically building them up to an unbeatable Juggernaut. Seems to me the team that is hyped as "The best team in the land" rarely wins the tourney. It was Kansas last year, UK the year before. This year it is UK again (I am a UK fan btw).

All year long it's basically been "just mail them the trophy now." The tournament is just a formality. :lol:

Red Dog
03-17-12, 07:17 PM
College basketball replay reviews. Nothing outside of the last 30 secs of a game should be reviewed. Time, 3-pointers, whatever. These reviews take several minutes and I can't understand why.

Cardsfan111
03-17-12, 07:22 PM
College basketball replay reviews. Nothing outside of the last 30 secs of a game should be reviewed. Time, 3-pointers, whatever. These reviews take several minutes and I can't understand why.

I thought about coming to post this same thing. And I can understand the need to get things right, but it takes about 5 times longer than it should.

WallyOPD
03-17-12, 07:43 PM
Side Note: As for upsets in College BBall this weekend, these are not as big upsets as national sports media leads you to believe. Because of the great players coming out early to the pros in the past 10-15, you rarely have any great teams anymore like there were when players stayed all 4 years at the big schools. A #2-#15 upset 20 years ago would have been an upset, but the smaller schools are catching up to the bigger schools now because they keep their players all 4 years (since very few of them make it to the pros.) You had two #2 seeds get upset yesterday, so that tells you times have changed in College BBall.

There were four 15-over-2 upsets in the 11 years from 1991-2001. In the 10 years after (when the early entries were really getting going) there were zero. Don't get too result-oriented with the fact that there were 2 this year.

Charlie Goose
03-17-12, 10:32 PM
Didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this is a rerun.

Baseball managers in a uniform. No other sports managers do that. Put on a suit, you fat old man.

davidh777
03-17-12, 10:41 PM

The idea is that a runner on second can score on any hit: single, double, triple, or HR. But it can vary on the situation and the hit, of course.

Red Dog
03-17-12, 10:46 PM
The idea is that a runner on second can score on any hit: single, double, triple, or HR. But it can vary on the situation and the hit, of course.

"Scoring Position" is informative if you are listening to a game on the radio. If you're watching on TV nowadays, it doesn't matter since they have the scorebox displayed on all telecasts.

starman9000
03-18-12, 08:06 AM
I just hate when they use scoring position for the Twins when someone is on second. They aren't going to score on the soft infield singles to short. :p

Cabman Gray
03-18-12, 07:45 PM
When networks go to "social media reporters" during a game. Who cares what random people are saying about the game on Twitter? This really needs to go.

davidh777
03-19-12, 01:29 PM
"Scoring Position" is informative if you are listening to a game on the radio. If you're watching on TV nowadays, it doesn't matter since they have the scorebox displayed on all telecasts.

I think it's asking a lot of announcers to change their patter based on where they're broadcasting (and simulcasts are both anyway).

When networks go to "social media reporters" during a game. Who cares what random people are saying about the game on Twitter? This really needs to go.

Moronic way to prove they're hip and relevant.

I just hate when they use scoring position for the Twins when someone is on second. They aren't going to score on the soft infield singles to short. :p

:lol:

whoopdido
03-19-12, 08:10 PM

Huh? When have the Twins ever had somebody on second base?

NORML54601
03-23-12, 11:58 PM
Hyphenated last names for athletes.

Tarantino
03-24-12, 09:59 AM
My new pet peeve is the ridiculous new wild card setup in MLB.

davidh777
03-24-12, 11:38 AM
Hyphenated last names for athletes.

More than that, parents of athletes who don't know how to spell first names

NORML54601
03-24-12, 07:41 PM
More than that, parents of athletes who don't know how to spell first names

Don't even get me started on that. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/598334-does-anyone-else-have-friends-give-their-kids-dumbass-names.html)

Mr. Cinema
03-24-12, 09:14 PM
In no particular order...

1. NBA players chewing and slobbering on their mouth pieces. I believe the Heat started this nasty habit. Udonis Haslem always seems to really enjoy his.

2. The game of college basketball is now made up of 3 point shooting and taking charges.

3. Music playing DURING play in NBA games.

4. ESPN and Fox ignoring 28 MLB teams for the entire season.

5. Calling timeout during a kick.

6. The existence of the WNBA

7. Reports of when players "quit" on their coach. Example: The Clippers. Uh, how about playing hard for the fans who PAY to see you play hard?

8. Players needing "extra motivation". Being paid millions of dollars and having a chance at winning a championship isn't enough?

9. Having to put the sideline reporter on tv. Do we have to see them talking?

10. Uncomfortable interviews with NBA coaches after the 1st and 3rd quarters. They hate doing them and are a waste of time. I remember Jeff Van Gundy criticizing them a few weeks ago on a Sunday game.

11. Stuart Scott

whoopdido
03-25-12, 02:47 AM

If it's Erin Andrews, yes. Pretty much everybody else...nope.

Tarantino
03-25-12, 09:08 AM
Mr. Cinema mentioned the 'freezing the kicker' ploy...I fucking HATE that. They should outlaw that bullshit, calling a time out right before the snap.

mcnabb
03-25-12, 10:11 AM
The obsession of pitch count in MLB. 25 years ago you had starting pitchers pitching 275-300 innings a year, closers like Bruce Sutter and Goose Gossage pitching 2-3 innings PER game, and now they have pussified pitchers. Starting pitchers can't pitch past 125 pitchers (even if they are cruising through the lineup), and closers have to START an inning and god forbid that come in when there runners in scoring position and get a real save.

You see so many guys getting Tommy John surgery these days, and makes you wonder how irrelevant the pitch count is.

mcnabb
03-25-12, 10:15 AM
In no particular order...

2. The game of college basketball is now made up of 3 point shooting and taking charges.

6. The existence of the WNBA

11. Stuart Scott

100% agree with all of these. :)

Mr. Cinema
03-25-12, 11:16 AM
The obsession of pitch count in MLB. 25 years ago you had starting pitchers pitching 275-300 innings a year, closers like Bruce Sutter and Goose Gossage pitching 2-3 innings PER game, and now they have pussified pitchers. Starting pitchers can't pitch past 125 pitchers (even if they are cruising through the lineup), and closers have to START an inning and god forbid that come in when there runners in scoring position and get a real save.

You see so many guys getting Tommy John surgery these days, and makes you wonder how irrelevant the pitch count is.
I 1000% agree with this one. I despise pitch counts. There's hardly anymore horses these days aside from the likes of Verlander, Sabathia, and Halladay.

I wish teams would go back to 4-man rotations as well.

mcnabb
03-25-12, 11:30 AM
I 1000% agree with this one. I despise pitch counts. There's hardly anymore horses these days aside from the likes of Verlander, Sabathia, and Halladay.

I wish teams would go back to 4-man rotations as well.

You think they would they would re-think the pitch count after a the Strasburg experiment in Washington. He is their #1 prospect, and is the future of the organization, so they have him on a strict pitch count in 2010 (rookie season) to avoid any injury. And what happens? He blows out his arm in August and needs Tommy John surgery!!!

If these guys had the right mechanics, then they wouldn't be blowing out their arms every year. But you can see the motion Strasburg throws (uses his elbow to generate his speed), that he was a Tommy John surgery waiting to happen. Plus many old pitchers who logged alot of innings talk about throwing most days before starts (bullpen sessions) to keep their strength up during the season. I just don't understand why it changed sometime in the 90's, and why only Nolan Ryan (Texas GM) is the only one who seems to ignore the Pitch count these days?

dvd-4-life
03-25-12, 11:40 AM

Yep-just about anykind of pitcher-starter,long reliefer,set-up man,situation and closer all seem to get hurt with the pitch count having nothing too do with it.

Besides Sandy Koufax(elbow arthritis),I can't recall any ex-pitcher who pitched 200-300 innings a year back in the 1960s ,having major arm problems later in life. Mike Cuellar would pitch winter ball to keep his arm strong(Matusz of the Orioles pitched 5 innings the other day and he is waiting for induction into Cooperstown).

Why not make a relief pitcher pitch 2 innings for a save?

Tony LaRussa ruined baseball by using 5-6 releiferes every game no matter the score. It used too be the team that used the fewest pitchers in a game,had the better chance too win. Today,managers have a contest to see who uses the most pitchers. Seems that pitching changes is more important than winning.

starman9000
03-25-12, 01:59 PM
Thought of another, that probably doesn't bother many other people. Overusing things like "champion" in playoff races.

For example:

http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2fproductImages%2f_834000%2fff_834323_xl.jpg&w=400

Red Dog
03-25-12, 02:05 PM
Thought of another, that probably doesn't bother many other people. Overusing things like "champion" in playoff races.

For example:

http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2fproductImages%2f_834000%2fff_834323_xl.jpg&w=400

It's like how college basketball teams fly certain banners. For example, I know my alma mater will hang a banner for 'winning' the regular season and their NIT final-16 appearance. It looks cheesy next to the conference title/NCAA Rd of 32 banners.

whotony
04-06-12, 11:19 PM
When the PxP guy says he "stoled" second base.

Goat3001
04-17-12, 07:24 PM
I was flipping around the tv looking for the Knicks game. Thought it was on ESPN, but it wasn't. I saw on the guide that there was a Sports Center Special. Curiosity got a hold of me so I broke my cardinal rule of "don't watch ESPN unless a game is on", and checked it out. They were showing a 3 hour special about the release of the NFL schedule!

Baseball season is just under way, the NBA playoff push is heating up (and the top markets are all involved) and the NHL playoffs have been incredibly exciting (and the top markets are involved)... So naturally, ESPN is doing 3 hours on the NFL.

If this isn't proof positive of how "in bed" Disney is with the NFL, I dont know what is. That is my pet peeve.

Bacon
04-17-12, 09:44 PM
I was flipping around the tv looking for the Knicks game. Thought it was on ESPN, but it wasn't. I saw on the guide that there was a Sports Center Special. Curiosity got a hold of me so I broke my cardinal rule of "don't watch ESPN unless a game is on", and checked it out. They were showing a 3 hour special about the release of the NFL schedule!

Baseball season is just under way, the NBA playoff push is heating up (and the top markets are all involved) and the NHL playoffs have been incredibly exciting (and the top markets are involved)... So naturally, ESPN is doing 3 hours on the NFL.

If this isn't proof positive of how "in bed" Disney is with the NFL, I dont know what is. That is my pet peeve.

Like it or not but anything that has to do with the NFL beats almost any sport right now
All about the eyes watching the toob

Goat3001
04-17-12, 10:24 PM
Like it or not but anything that has to do with the NFL beats almost any sport right now
All about the eyes watching the toob

At this point I agree, but ESPN just doesn't report the sports news anymore. They create the news. What they decide is important is what it popular. So what if they decided to pay more attention to the wildly entertaining NHL playoffs? Would the NHL still be teetering on the edge of falling off the "big sports" list?

And while I know how popular the NFL is, I still find it hard to believe more people want to watch 3 hours of a schedule release special than 3 hours of NBA/MLB/NHL analyst programming.

whoopdido
04-17-12, 10:43 PM
At this point I agree, but ESPN just doesn't report the sports news anymore. They create the news. What they decide is important is what it popular. So what if they decided to pay more attention to the wildly entertaining NHL playoffs? Would the NHL still be teetering on the edge of falling off the "big sports" list?

And while I know how popular the NFL is, I still find it hard to believe more people want to watch 3 hours of a schedule release special than 3 hours of NBA/MLB/NHL analyst programming.

Not sure I entirely agree with this. For a while now ESPN has been trying their hearts out to promote and create interest in soccer. Try as they might, still nobody in the United States gives a damn about soccer.

coli
04-18-12, 06:46 AM
They were showing a 3 hour special about the release of the NFL schedule!

This is where ESPN is irrelevant to me anymore. With the release of the NFL Schedule yesterday, the first thing I did was tune into NFL Network. The NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB network have made ESPN studio shows irrelevant because you get better analysis then the loud-mouth pundits ESPN hires.

I equate ESPN these days as catering to the casual sports fan, as they try to drum up dumb debates to get viewers: Could the Kentucky Wildcats beat the Charlotte Bobcats? Yes, they actually had a show on ESPN about this pointless debate! I tune into NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB Network as atleast they are catering to the real sports fan who doesn't want to hear all the bullshit that ESPN tries to shove in our faces.

The bottom line is the only time I tune into ESPN is if I am forced to when one of my Philadelphia sports team are on.

Maxflier
04-22-12, 01:45 PM
Umpires making pitchers use new balls anytime the ball goes in the dirt, is foul-tipped or anything like that.

dvd-4-life
04-22-12, 05:19 PM
Umpires making pitchers use new balls anytime the ball goes in the dirt, is foul-tipped or anything like that.

I remember watching The Golden Age of Baseball(maybe it was another show),anyways,an ex-player for the St. Louis Browns said that they requested that a fan return a foul ball because they ran out of baseballs. He was probably joking,but could you see that happening today with all the wasted baseballs they use.

Deadman31
04-24-12, 04:04 PM
Im getting sick of athletes signing one day contracts to retire with teams. I could somewhat accept it if it was a hall of fame type player but otherwise retire and shut up about it.

adrenaline78
04-24-12, 06:26 PM
I hate the showboating. TD dances and whatnot.. just pretend you've been there before and move onto the next play.

DJariya
04-24-12, 06:36 PM
Hot chick sideline reporter interviewing coach or player going into locker room.

Typical question...."What do you need to do to improve in the 2nd half?" :grumble:

It adds absolutely nothing to the context of the game. It's just a damn cliche.

Howie2000
04-25-12, 04:47 AM

Look at all the dudes who pitched in the late 70s and 80s who were on Hall Of Fames paces then their arms went out on them. While every era has it's era of guys who peter out this era was way more loaded with them.

My pet peeve is people who have the mentality like yourself that "everyone is a pussy now" and everyone in my day was tougher when the reasons for changes in the way things work are based on scientific and statistical data.

Howie2000
04-25-12, 04:50 AM
Tony LaRussa ruined baseball by using 5-6 releiferes every game no

He may have ruined baseball to you but he won a world series title last year on the strength of a deep relief pool.

Bacon
04-25-12, 05:56 AM
Chad Ochosinco
Metta World Piece

use your real names morons

coli
04-25-12, 06:18 AM
Look at all the dudes who pitched in the late 70s and 80s who were on Hall Of Fames paces then their arms went out on them. While every era has it's era of guys who peter out this era was way more loaded with them.

My pet peeve is people who have the mentality like yourself that "everyone is a pussy now" and everyone in my day was tougher when the reasons for changes in the way things work are based on scientific and statistical data.

Actually, I read his statement and I don't think he was saying that pitchers are pussies today or was he even saying they were better in his day, more to the fact that the MANAGERS have pussified the pitchers with the pitch count.

If you read his statement, he states that they are so quick to pull a guy now at 120-130 pitches, and they didn't do that 20-30 years ago. I am from the school of thought that you have to build up the pitchers arm strength by pitching them past 130 pitches like the previous generation did.

Now of course there are going to be pitchers from every era that blow their arms out, simply because its not normal to throw a baseball in that motion every 4-5 days. But there is something to pitchers 20-30 years pitching more complete games then they do now, and reliever who are restricted to just pitching 1 inning.

All in all, he's blaming the managers not the players ;)

Cardsfan111
05-09-12, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I was reminded of it while seeing Fernando Rodney come in and pitch for the Rays tonight...

Baseball players who wear their hats "crooked" - I wish the individual teams or MLB would crack down on these knuckleheads.

Goat3001
05-09-12, 09:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing while watching the game, then I wondered why these players wear caps to begin with. Shouldn't it be optional? Most games are at night, so the sun isn't an issue and for day games, if you need shade you can wear the cap or opt for sunglasses.

coli
05-21-12, 07:15 AM
Watching the RedSox play my Phillies this weekend always makes me remember how annoying it is to watch OCD hitters like Dustin Pedroya (after every pitch, he steps out of the batters box, adjusts both batting gloves, and then steps back in.) Raul Ibanez did the same thing when he played for the Phils, totally annoying!

Someone get these guys a shrink!

adrenaline78
05-21-12, 08:27 AM
Not sure If I mentioned it earlier in this thread.. but spitting is one of mine. Totally disgusting and unnecessary.

dvd-4-life
05-21-12, 11:25 AM
Watching the RedSox play my Phillies this weekend always makes me remember how annoying it is to watch OCD hitters like Dustin Pedroya (after every pitch, he steps out of the batters box, adjusts both batting gloves, and then steps back in.) Raul Ibanez did the same thing when he played for the Phils, totally annoying!

Someone get these guys a shrink!

What about relief pitchers(like Papbelbon) that hold the ball for two minutes inbetween pitches? Luis Ayala goes to the back of the mound to rub up the baseball when he gets a new one(which is just about every pitch).

dvd-4-life
05-21-12, 11:28 AM
I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I was reminded of it while seeing Fernando Rodney come in and pitch for the Rays tonight...

Baseball players who wear their hats "crooked" - I wish the individual teams or MLB would crack down on these knuckleheads.

Andino did that with the Orioles and Showater said that is wasn't proper,so he stopped doing it but Pedrp Strop ( on the same team) is allowed too do it.

RoyalTea
05-21-12, 11:40 AM
one of my biggest pet peeves is the current obsession with holding a sporting event in an arena/stadium not intended for that sporting event.

Bowl games at baseball stadia.
Outdoor hockey.
Basketball on boats.
Regular season college football in NFL stadia.

I feel like we're a few years away from the PGA setting up a par 3 course inside a football stadium.

argh923
05-22-12, 05:23 PM
People complaining about sports.

dsa_shea
05-22-12, 05:35 PM
Hearing people talking about a game played the night before knowing that they are only a fan "of the moment" because it is a local team and that team is in the playoffs. Listening to them talk excitedly about the game without the ability to name any of the players from the game or any specific plays that happened.

Mr. Cinema
05-22-12, 06:31 PM
Not sure If I mentioned it earlier in this thread.. but spitting is one of mine. Totally disgusting and unnecessary.
That's what she said. :rimshot:

Apple Gooncha
05-22-12, 07:42 PM
Baleted.

davidh777
05-22-12, 08:07 PM
I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan

Quoting for the record

mcnabb
05-28-12, 07:22 PM
How about Baseball players that don't hustle. All weekend I see lazy plays by outfielders lolly-gagging to get a ball and a player picks up an extra base, or guys lazily running down first base on a ground ball.

These guys bat 4 times a game, and get 5-6 balls come their way in the field, can they atleast hustle every fucking time? And managers rarely bench these guys for lazy play too.

Apple Gooncha
05-28-12, 07:24 PM
Quoting for the record

:mad:

dvd-4-life
05-29-12, 10:37 AM
When was the last time David Ortiz ran out of the batters box after hitting a ball? Don't think its ever happened before. He is more concerned with clapping his hands during his AB.

NORML54601
08-21-12, 09:19 PM
Batters that after walking or getting hit leave the bat at the plate instead of throwing it to the bat boy

The fact that no basketball player seems to be able to get up off the floor without the help of 2 teammates.

Dean Kousoulas
08-22-12, 11:02 AM
Batters that after walking or getting hit leave the bat at the plate instead of throwing it to the bat boy

The fact that no basketball player seems to be able to get up off the floor without the help of 2 teammates.

Not only that, but players from the other team will just ignore him instead of helping him up.