Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Hercules (2014, Ratner) S: Dwayne Johnson

antspawn
03-05-12, 09:23 PM
Dwayne Johnson Confirmed As ‘Hercules’

Late last month, the Internet was reporting that there is a chance for Dwayne Johnson to star in Brett Ratner’s “Hercules.”

Variety has reported the former wrestler-turned-movie action hero has signed on to the MGM production.

“Hercules” will be a big screen adaptation of Steve Moore’s 2008 graphic novel “Hercules: The Thracian Wars.”

Here are the details on that story:

From the pen of Steve Moore (Dr. Who; Jonni Future) comes a tale of Hercules in his darkest hours. When the Thracian King summons the Greek hero and his six battle-worn companions to mold the Thracian army into a bloodthirsty, ruthless killing machine, the son of Zeus rushes to answer the call of war and gold. But within the nation of Thrace lies an epic tale of war, murder, deception and sacrifice that shows Hercules how far from grace he’s fallen— and what he must accomplish for redemption.

The adapted screenplay will be written by Ryan Condol and the film to be directed by Ratner himself.

MGM will begin production of “Hercules” in New Zealand this October.

Johnson will be appearing in the upcoming sequel “G.I. Joe: Retaliation.” He is signed on with several future projects including “Pain and Gain,” “Empire State,” and “The Fast and the Furious 6.”

Source: Variety

http://latino-review.com/2012/03/05/dwayne-johnson-confirmed-hercules/

RocShemp
03-06-12, 06:40 AM
Meh. It's not like they'll actually make Hercules the son of Jupiter. Why not cast a Samoan as a Roman hero that Hollywood constantly misrepresents as Greek?

islandclaws
03-06-12, 10:22 AM
I'm ok with this. :up:

Solid Snake
03-06-12, 04:22 PM
Anyone read the graphic novel? Never heard of it.

RocShemp
03-06-12, 07:22 PM
Anyone read the graphic novel? Never heard of it.

Me neither but I doubt it'll matter. It'll be the Rock kicking ass. That's all that matters.

I just wish Hollywood (and comic books apparently) wouldn't keep screwing up a simple thing like the diference between Greek and Roman mythology.

Groucho
03-06-12, 07:39 PM
I wonder if there will be rehearsals? I know the Greeks and Romans alike were very fond of "rehearsals".

devilshalo
03-06-12, 07:45 PM
I wonder what happened to the Kamehameha project he was attached to so long ago.

whoopdido
03-06-12, 11:55 PM
Meh. It's not like they'll actually make Hercules the son of Jupiter. Why not cast a Samoan as a Roman hero that Hollywood constantly misrepresents as Greek?

As if that's any worse than casting a white dude from Mound, Minnesota.

RocShemp
03-07-12, 06:24 PM
As if that's any worse than casting a white dude from Mound, Minnesota.

Oh, I know. That's why I think the casting is not a big deal. I don't see casting the Rock as a negative. I just find it irksome that Hollywood can never seem to figure out that Hercules is not even a Greek hero.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
03-07-12, 07:20 PM
No Sorbo, no deal.

starman9000
03-07-12, 07:22 PM
Hollywood has it right, it's the Romans that weren't able to figure out that Hercules was a Greek hero. ;)

whoopdido
03-07-12, 09:54 PM
Oh, I know. That's why I think the casting is not a big deal. I don't see casting the Rock as a negative. I just find it irksome that Hollywood can never seem to figure out that Hercules is not even a Greek hero.

I see what you're saying. The Greeks called him Heracles. The Romans called him Hercules. Hercules and Heracles were the same dude. I have no idea why Hercules became attributed to the Greeks rather than the Romans. Hercules was not the son of Zeus as so many movies and tv shows like to say. Hercules was the son of Jupiter. Heracles was the son of Zeus. Jupiter and Zeus were the same dude too but people shouldn't mix and match Greek and Roman gods/demi-gods.

RocShemp
03-07-12, 10:07 PM
I see what you're saying. The Greeks called him Heracles. The Romans called him Hercules. Hercules and Heracles were the same dude. I have no idea why Hercules became attributed to the Greeks rather than the Romans. Hercules was not the son of Zeus as so many movies and tv shows like to say. Hercules was the son of Jupiter. Heracles was the son of Zeus. Jupiter and Zeus were the same dude too but people shouldn't mix and match Greek and Roman gods/demi-gods.

That's my issue. Although they're technically the same guy, they're really representations from different cultures. Which is why Heracles was associated with certain specific Greek festivities whereas Hercules was associated with certain Roman festivities.

starman9000
03-07-12, 10:13 PM
:lol:

RocShemp
03-07-12, 10:31 PM

Hey, if guys can bitch about scuff marks on a shield or a deranged clown's penchant for cheap knifes, I can complain about the misrepresentations of Greek and Roman mythological figures. :p

Ash Ketchum
03-08-12, 12:29 PM
Somehow I can't seem to wrap my head around "Brett Ratner's Hercules."

Tarantino
03-08-12, 02:31 PM
Rather...sucks.
The Rock...rocks.

Hope it has a good trailer.

Kory
03-08-12, 03:16 PM
I'm in for any action flick starring The Rock.

DJariya
03-24-14, 02:49 AM
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1149045_10152425633639384_1950891634_n.jpg

1st photo of Dwayne Johnson as Hercules from his Facebook page.

The movie is just called "Hercules"

It's coming out July 25th. I'm surprised this was the only thread about this movie. dex14, you probably need to rename this thread.

DJariya
03-24-14, 06:17 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1150834_10152427623099384_1449158701_n.jpg

Poster for the movie.

devilshalo
03-24-14, 06:25 PM
Supposed to be a trailer available tomorrow...

TheMadMonk
03-24-14, 07:31 PM
So, will this be rated R, and have lots of blood and nudity and generally kick ass, like the first Conan the Barbarian, or will it be some watered-down family friendly PG/PG-13 turd, like Conan the Destroyer?

Chadm
03-24-14, 07:39 PM
I'm sure it will be a turd either way.

Groucho
03-24-14, 08:33 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2944936/hercules-nutty-professor-o.gif

islandclaws
03-25-14, 12:04 AM

antspawn
03-25-14, 12:58 AM
This is going to suck so bad. :(

Artman
03-25-14, 01:01 AM
Every one of The Rock's teaser pics looked better than the poster and stills they just released. My God... anticipation for this just cratered.

Why So Blu?
03-25-14, 02:40 AM
Fuck, the marketing team and whoever came up with those lame posters and font type should all be fired en masse. The whole lot of them. It better not be some PG-13 bullshit either.

TomOpus
03-25-14, 09:17 AM
Not a fan of The Rock and no real interest in Hercules. This will be a pass for me.

HN
03-25-14, 10:31 AM
Fuck, the marketing team and whoever came up with those lame posters and font type should all be fired en masse. The whole lot of them. It better not be some PG-13 bullshit either.

Looks like the font in the 300 poster

EddieMoney
03-25-14, 11:24 AM
I like The Rock. But Brett Ratner can go fuck his fucking self.

Why So Blu?
03-25-14, 11:42 AM
I really hate the logo but this could be fun if it's rated R. Maybe.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4JZhGYrgCPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaveyJoe
03-25-14, 11:47 AM
http://www.geekbinge.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Ann_Arrested-Development.jpgCULES

TGM
03-25-14, 11:49 AM
my only interest in this is to see Liam McIntyre from Spartacus. It's going to be odd seeing him in a similarly themed movie, and not being the primary hero.

Solid Snake
03-25-14, 11:50 AM
Hrmmm. Logo, poster, and him yelling his name sucks but... It looks neat.

HN
03-25-14, 11:55 AM
i'm going with PG-13

DJariya
03-25-14, 12:06 PM
Interesting trailer.

No way this is R. This is a big summer blockbuster title, so it has to be PG-13.

We've come a long way from the Cannon Films version with Lou Ferrigno. That version was extremely campy from what I recall and Lou was dubbed by a voice actor because he's deaf.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3Ui9Lizoj0Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

devilshalo
03-25-14, 01:49 PM
If this is the journey of Hercules twelves labors, then it looks fun! Ratner, well... :/

rexinnih
03-25-14, 02:45 PM
Wait.,what., where's the 3D!?!?!?!

Solid Snake
03-25-14, 03:12 PM
I dunno. It talks about the labors he has done. And shows some of them. But based on some of the stuff in there I can't really say wtf this film plot is.

It would be cool to see the labors. Would be kind of a weird thing to set up his task. Cuz he went mad and killed his family. Then seeked atonement for his actions. Not really something that could be redeemable normally. It works for me though cuz I love mythology.

Fuck. Now I want to read books on greek mythology. What are some some good books on Greek mythology?

Nick Danger
03-25-14, 03:34 PM
That's too bad. This is a time when movie-goers like gritty heros. It would be the perfect time to make a Hercules movie based on the Greek myths, instead of Victorian children's books.

I want to see the movie about the guy who's so dangerous that Jason and Theseus are afraid of him, and they're his friends. The guy who fathered sixty or seventy kids before he got married.

We don't do Batman like Adam West anymore. Why are we doing Hercules like George Reeves?

Dr. DVD
03-25-14, 03:44 PM
That teaser looks stupid. Rock is typically pretty good in his roles, but they picked the wrong line for him to deliver, almost looks like he's doing a variation on "if you smellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, what the Rock, is cooking."

Solid Snake
03-25-14, 03:45 PM
That's too bad. This is a time when movie-goers like gritty heros. It would be the perfect time to make a Hercules movie based on the Greek myths, instead of Victorian children's books.

I want to see the movie about the guy who's so dangerous that Jason and Theseus are afraid of him, and they're his friends. The guy who fathered sixty or seventy kids before he got married.

We don't do Batman like Adam West anymore. Why are we doing Hercules like George Reeves?

Rephrase that Batman bit. I'm not sure wtf you're trying to say.

robin2099
03-25-14, 05:39 PM

Because no one want's to spend $100 million dollars to create a movie that features two hours of an unlikeable womanizing douche bag.

nando820
03-25-14, 06:18 PM
Looks like a solid $3 blind buy from Big Lots. But when they have the 20% sale though

Shannon Nutt
03-25-14, 06:25 PM
The SPCA isn't going to like Herc...all he does is kill animals. :)

Osiris3657
03-25-14, 10:58 PM
This looks awful. Maybe one person or two will go see it and like it coughDJariyacough

RichC2
03-26-14, 10:10 AM
Looks better than the other Hercules movie that came out this year.

Why did I just waste the time to type that.

Could be entertaining, but I won't be seeing this in theaters.

Ash Ketchum
03-26-14, 10:25 AM
Because no one wants to spend $100 million dollars to create a movie that features two hours of an unlikeable womanizing douche bag.

Hey, don't talk about Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio like that! And, besides, it was three hours, not two. :D