Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Specific recommendations needed

Roy Batty
03-04-12, 12:20 PM
Hi all-
Been a way for a while during the growth of BDs, and am rebuilding my home theater setup. I'm looking to start by adding titles (preferably in 1080p) that would really show off a 50 or 60 inch display that has yet to be purchased. I'm thinking of movies with lots of beautiful outdoor scenes or other cinematography that would work for this purpose. Not into action or rom-com. Could be from any era, if you think the restoration was done well. Thanks for your suggestions.

P.S. If you need to know the rest of my gear, I can list it in my sig if need be.

Trout
03-04-12, 12:31 PM
The New World
Baraka

Drexl
03-04-12, 02:51 PM
Anything Terrance Malick, but particularly The Tree of Life, which has great cinematography of the outdoors and the WAY outdoors.

But frankly, I don't recommend buying something unless you like the movie. TTOL is a very polarizing film; I was in the camp that loved it, but there are many who hated it or just did not know what to make of it. Well, probably all of us don't know what to make of it, to some extent. :)

MisterHowie
03-04-12, 03:10 PM
I can't comment on specific transfers, but Legends of the Fall, Brokeback Mountain, and Into the Wild might suit your needs. Also, if you like nature documentaries, Planet Earth, Life, and virtually any BBC Nature documentary is going to be very cinematic and will definitely show your HD TV advantageously.

Roy Batty
03-04-12, 04:04 PM
Excellent, and thanks! Keep 'em coming. And yes, and ideal candidate should be a good film as well, but there's no accounting for taste, now is there? :D

I have started my collection with Werner Herzog's "The Cave of Forgotten Dreams", which I saw in the theater. Amazing.

adrenaline78
03-04-12, 07:07 PM
Planet earth or Life, which are both eye popping.. and good to watch also.

As for actual movies. Just stick to what you like.

davidlynchfan
03-05-12, 01:16 AM
Why not, since you are.. "Braid Runna"
Grand Prix is another eye popper.

davidh777
03-05-12, 02:11 AM
I would recommend providing a little more info in your thread title.

Baraka is indeed an eye-popper.

Roy Batty
03-05-12, 08:24 PM
Why not, since you are.. "Braid Runna"
Grand Prix is another eye popper.

"I only do eyes" (just picked it up today)

And, since you are, how does Blue Velvet and/or Mulholland Dr. look in HD?

TimeandTide
03-06-12, 12:34 AM
Ditto Planet Earth and New World recommendations. Both are stunning.

Roy Batty
03-06-12, 10:58 AM
Ditto Planet Earth and New World recommendations. Both are stunning.

Both added to my pickup list. Thanks.

Doctorossi
03-06-12, 11:02 AM
This sounds like a job for The Sound of Music.

Solid Snake
03-06-12, 04:09 PM
The Fall (gorgeous film)

davidlynchfan
03-06-12, 05:28 PM
"I only do eyes" (just picked it up today)

And, since you are, how does Blue Velvet and/or Mulholland Dr. look in HD?

Oh yea, I'd say Blue Velvet aced the High-Definition exam with flying colors. Still waiting on Mul-Dr.'s release announcement,however.

Solid Snake
03-06-12, 05:43 PM
Studio Canal release MD in France on BD? How was it? Anyone know?

Roy Batty
04-11-12, 01:03 PM
The Fall (gorgeous film)

THANK YOU! I saw this film twice in the theater and just loved it. Managed to forget the title until now (Doh!). On my list!

The HD version of MD is available on Amazon France, but without a region-free player....

Studio Canal release MD in France on BD? How was it? Anyone know?

If you can read French: http://www.amazon.fr/Mulholland-Drive-Blu-ray-Justin-Theroux/dp/B003TP3U7S/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1334168615&sr=1-1