DVD Talk
Criterion Last Temptation of Christ (pre-order) $20 @ Deep discount [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Criterion Last Temptation of Christ (pre-order) $20 @ Deep discount

melvin
03-03-12, 09:15 PM
I just wanted to give a heads up that Deep Discount is having a sale on movies no longer available from a "direct subscription source". Enter code NET5 at check out for $5 off the pre-order of the Criterion Blu Ray. Came to $20 for me in Jersey. IDK how great a deal this is; but I didn't wanna wait till the next B&N sale. They also have Topsy-Turvy for about the same price.
http://www.deepdiscount.com/Better-Than-Direct-Source?utm_source=WhatCounts&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=03-03-12&utm_campaign=26164&promoCode=26164

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
03-03-12, 10:34 PM
Movies/shows that used to stream on Netflix?

Alan Smithee
03-03-12, 11:35 PM
Yeah, that's what they mean. And it's too bad too, because movies on Netflix look so phenomenal compared to those pesky discs, especially the ones they had from StarzPlay. Netflix is so much worse without them now.

Funny how I remember the controversy over this movie before it even came out- on the news they showed church groups going to theaters saying "if this movie is shown here, we will boycott your theater." Same thing happened at the video release, Blockbuster wouldn't carry it of course.

LPMA
03-03-12, 11:50 PM
Funny because that's exactly where I picked up my Criterion DVD of the movie, at a closing Blockbuster location.

skidmark
03-04-12, 12:38 AM
... at a closing Blockbuster location.

BEHOLD! The power of the Boycott!

ProfessorEcho
03-04-12, 03:34 PM
Just watched my SD of this last Easter and while it's a beautiful looking film and still powerful, there is really some bad casting, acting and writing in it. I think my SD will suffice for the once every few Easters I'll screen it.

When it was released and I saw it on opening day the protesters were swarming the theater and spitting on us as we stood in line. Finally the cops came and held them back. It was surreal. Later when I rented the laserdisc from a local video store someone had taken a nail or knife and scratched the copy to where it wouldn't play. Sad that so many couldn't be bothered to even understand the movie or the source novel, but since when has taking the time to understand anything stopped any fanaticism in the world?

Trevor
03-04-12, 03:57 PM
I think my SD will suffice for the once every few Easters I'll screen it.
I wish I could convince myself of that very sound logic more often.
When it was released and I saw it on opening day the protesters were swarming the theater and spitting on us as we stood in line. Finally the cops came and held them back. It was surreal. Later when I rented the laserdisc from a local video store someone had taken a nail or knife and scratched the copy to where it wouldn't play. Sad that so many couldn't be bothered to even understand the movie or the source novel, but since when has taking the time to understand anything stopped any fanaticism in the world?
People make me sad.

DWilson
03-04-12, 04:21 PM
The one review I've found at www.blu-raydefinition.com is fairly negative about the video quality. I'd proceed with caution until more word comes in.

DVD Polizei
03-04-12, 05:22 PM
Wasn't Boondock Saints the sequel to this.

melvin
03-04-12, 05:31 PM
Screen shots from DVD Beaver:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/last.htm

DVD Polizei
03-04-12, 06:44 PM
Have to admit the picture does seem a little soft from the screencaps. But I wouldn't be surprised if this was done intentionally. Unfortunately.

whotony
03-04-12, 08:40 PM
The controversy was more of a story then the movie.
Went with a girlfriend to see it at the Ritz in Philly on releases mostly because we knew there were people
Standing in front protesting.

We stopped and tried to talk with these people who were all women but they would have nothing of it.
Really all we wanted to know was if they saw the movie and they said no but wouldn't respond to our asking how they could have an opinion on something they don't even know but they wouldn't talk any further on it.

03-04-12, 11:26 PM
Have to admit the picture does seem a little soft from the screencaps. But I wouldn't be surprised if this was done intentionally. Unfortunately.

At least it's not Deadly Spawn level of bad.

ProfessorEcho
03-05-12, 03:07 PM
I remember seeing a priest on TV at the time and he was talking how Scorsese was able to visualize things that he, the priest, could never quite see in his mind's eye. He thought the film beautiful. Later I had the opportunity to talk to a priest about it and he said exactly the same thing! He could not understand the controversy and thought that it was a masterful exploration in understanding true faith.

As for the PQ, the SD wasn't all that great either, especially for Criterion.

MTRodaba2468
03-05-12, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up. This is one of my favorite films, and I was dreading waiting until July to pick this up for half the retail cost...

Gobear
03-05-12, 04:54 PM
Just watched my SD of this last Easter and while it's a beautiful looking film and still powerful, there is really some bad casting, acting and writing in it. I think my SD will suffice for the once every few Easters I'll screen it.
[/b]

It's a magnificent film, one of Scorsese's best, but Harvey Keitel as Judas is ridiculously out of place. That Bronx accent really jars me out of the film. Other bits of casting, like David Bowie playing The Thin White Duke as Pontius Pilate were brilliant. That said, I'm in.

TheHypnoToad
03-07-12, 03:00 PM
Hmmm..just got shipping notice for this from DeepDiscount. Seems early for them to be shipping since the release date isn't until March 13th but I won't complain if it shows up before the release date.

03-07-12, 03:31 PM
I ordered mine Saturday and they shipped it the next day. I'd like to think I can get it early but it is the post office, so who knows.

melvin
03-07-12, 03:52 PM
Just got home and this was sitting in my mailbox. This must be some kind of record the fastest I've ever had anything delivered from them!

Superdaddy
03-07-12, 06:10 PM
I remember seeing this in the theatre too. No protests when I went. But while waiting for the film to start, a woman came and sat behind us (I was with two other people), and said, "I'm only here to criticize it."

I felt like saying, "Um...why don't you watch it first? And I didn't ask why you were here."

All three of us loved the film (and one of those people was my sixty-two year-old mother, not a churchgoer by any means but a person of faith, and she had no problem with the content).

Superdaddy
03-07-12, 06:22 PM
The one review I've found at www.blu-raydefinition.com is fairly negative about the video quality. I'd proceed with caution until more word comes in.

I found this from the review interesting:

The first confrontation between Judas and Jesus in the desert, for instance, where Judas tells Jesus he was sent to kill him, shows an odd light vertical “strip,” slightly paler than the rest of the dark backdrop down the right side of the frame.

This sounds similar to what has been reported with the BD releases of Scorsese's Raging Bull.

dino88
03-08-12, 11:50 AM
This is today's deal of the day for $19.99. For those of you that haven't ordered it yet, you can get it for $15 shipped now. If you ordered it and it hasn't shipped, I'd call about a price adjustment.

LPMA
03-08-12, 01:15 PM
I gave them a call and they're issuing me a $5.30 refund for the difference, thanks dino for the heads up!

Oh and I should point out my copy shipped on Monday.

Trevor
03-08-12, 01:18 PM
This is today's deal of the day for $19.99. For those of you that haven't ordered it yet, you can get it for $15 shipped now. If you ordered it and it hasn't shipped, I'd call about a price adjustment.
Thanks! Still haven't seen the film or opened my old Criterion DVD, but the completest in me wants this.

efordvt
03-08-12, 03:08 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the tip. Love getting Criterion Blus for $15!
I had some weird problems with Internet Explorer on this. Switched to Firefox, all good.

03-08-12, 03:18 PM
I had some weird problems with Internet Explorer on this. Switched to Firefox, all good.

I had the same thing with IE.

I also got a refund.

Gobear
03-08-12, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Just placed my order!

ProfessorEcho
03-08-12, 04:05 PM
I think my SD will suffice for the once every few Easters I'll screen it.

Never mind. For $15, it was worth the upgrade.

Thanks to Dino for the alert!

melvin
03-08-12, 04:06 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0xwCEJJys0M/TTYOg4Wh0gI/AAAAAAAAAuM/kArBL0vYvOM/s1600/homer-doh2.jpg

Superdaddy
03-08-12, 05:09 PM
Just ordered one from DD. Was actually thinking of just using some amazon credit and getting it now rather than wait for the B&N sale, since I really love the film. But $14.99 shipped might actually beat my B&N average price slightly.

JackBurton
03-08-12, 05:17 PM
Awesome deal! Thanks OP & Dino.

PopcornTreeCt
03-08-12, 06:48 PM
The thread title should be updated. It's definitely a hot deal at $15.

jiggyblau
03-08-12, 06:52 PM
I was on the fence at $20, but I'm in at $15.

AdamGott
03-08-12, 09:35 PM
I was on the fence at $20, but I'm in at $15.

Same here. I almost snapped it up at $20 but at $15 I couldn't order it fast enough!

Jaymole
03-09-12, 07:10 AM
Placed an order...thanks Dino88

Sweet Baby James
03-09-12, 03:34 PM
The thread title should be updated. It's definitely a hot deal at $15.

I wish a mod had heeded your suggestion. Alas, I missed the deal.:sad:

PopcornTreeCt
03-09-12, 05:57 PM
I wish a mod had heeded your suggestion. Alas, I missed the deal.:sad:

Yeah, I would've missed it to if I hadn't been browsing the Blu-ray.com forums.

zekeburger1979
03-11-12, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this. I pre-ordered it at $15 a few days ago.

zoran009
03-11-12, 04:45 PM

It is $25 right now and $5 off bring to $20, how do I get it for $15?

jwstl
03-11-12, 05:02 PM
It is $25 right now and $5 off bring to $20, how do I get it for $15?

Go back in time to March 8th.

zoran009
03-13-12, 02:17 AM
Go back in time to March 8th.

:( still got for $20

efordvt
03-13-12, 08:21 AM
anybody get a ship notice on this yet?

LPMA
03-13-12, 09:03 AM
Mine shipped Monday of last week.

Superdaddy
03-13-12, 10:04 AM
anybody get a ship notice on this yet?

I ordered at the $15 price point and have not gotten a shipping notice.

Historically, DD was not always reliable on sending out shipping notices exactly when things shipped. You could have orders still listed as "open" that had in fact shipped. But that may have changed.

I can't say because for the last couple of years I've ordered exactly one movie a year from them. Barring a miracle, this will be my lone 2012 order.

03-13-12, 10:10 AM
Mine came Saturday

Superdaddy
03-13-12, 10:16 AM
Mine came Saturday

Did you order it when it was the deal of the day or earlier in the week?

BigShemp
03-16-12, 02:17 PM
Ugh. I ordered mine earlier in the week -- at the beginning of the month -- and it, predictably is on backorder (despite having preordered it). Thanks, Deep Discount, for reaffirming to me why you suck so bad. I'm canceling my order if it doesn't ship by the beginning of the week.

Gobear
03-16-12, 02:42 PM
I ordered mine on March 8th, and my account says that the order is still "Open"--but this is Deep Discount, so it could still say Open after it arrives. They are as chaotic as Columbia House when it comes to order statuses.

I'm in no hurry, and at $14.99 for a new Criterion Blu-Ray, I'm willing to wait a while.

Trevor
03-16-12, 02:48 PM
I'm in no hurry. I'll either get it from DD for $14.99, or I'll grab it for about the same price at a future sale.

dino88
03-16-12, 02:55 PM
I'm in no hurry. I'll either get it from DD for $14.99, or I'll grab it for about the same price at a future sale.

I'm not either. I'm actually hoping more people follow BigShemp's lead and cancel. That way I'll get my order quicker. :eyebrow:

efordvt
03-23-12, 10:38 AM
Finally got a ship notice today!

trespoochies
03-23-12, 12:35 PM
Me too! Just in time for Easter!

BSTNFAN
03-23-12, 12:47 PM
Finally got a ship notice today!

Same here.

Superdaddy
03-23-12, 01:41 PM
Mine finally shipped also. And lo and behold, they charged me $0.99 shipping although my order history says "free."

I know, under $15.00 and they're supposed to charge you. But I figured this was an exception since it was advertised that way.

Did anybody get free shipping on this?

Jaymole
03-23-12, 02:15 PM
Mine finally shipped also. And lo and behold, they charged me $0.99 shipping although my order history says "free."

I know, under $15.00 and they're supposed to charge you. But I figured this was an exception since it was advertised that way.

Did anybody get free shipping on this?

I was not charged shipping

trespoochies
03-23-12, 02:30 PM
Nope, no shipping charge for me.

jwstl
03-23-12, 03:01 PM
I received my notice today too. No shipping charge.

Gobear
03-23-12, 03:35 PM
Deep Discount charged me shipping, but it's only .99, so at $15.98, it's still a deal. but it's also the last time I buy from them.

ProfessorEcho
03-23-12, 05:30 PM
No shipping charge for me either, but a $1.16 CA tax. The good old days of DD free shipping and no tax on everything are long gone. :(

Excellent Easter fare, but I watched it last Easter so probably will do BEN HUR Blu this year. Also have KING OF KINGS and THE ROBE Blu. It's the best holiday for watching E P I C S!

efordvt
03-24-12, 07:16 AM
I did not get charged shipping.

zoran009
03-25-12, 02:25 PM
CA tax, no shipping but paid full price:(

NoirFan
03-25-12, 02:57 PM
I ordered mine on March 8th, and my account says that the order is still "Open"--but this is Deep Discount, so it could still say Open after it arrives. They are as chaotic as Columbia House when it comes to order statuses.

I received a shipping notice for Geisha Boy a week after the actual disc arrived.

Superdaddy
03-26-12, 05:12 PM
Thanks to all regarding the shipping responses. Mine arrived today.

Like ProfessorEcho, I now have both this and Ben Hur on BD so will probably watch one or both for the Easter season. My college is on spring break next week, and I'm counting down the days. Going to be enjoying a bunch of movies including some of these lengthy productions.

Gobear
03-26-12, 08:00 PM
Mine finally arrived today.