DVD Talk
THE BLING RING (2013) (dir. Sofia Coppola) (Emma Watson) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : THE BLING RING (2013) (dir. Sofia Coppola) (Emma Watson)

riotinmyskull
03-01-12, 08:21 AM
Watson’s exact role in The Bling Ring hasn’t been revealed, and Coppola hasn’t offered much in the way of plot details at this point. However, we do know that the story will be based on the real-life So Cal teen group who burglarized the homes of Paris Hilton, Rachel Bilson, Orlando Bloom, Lindsay Lohan, and other young, wealthy celebrities. (Read Vanity Fair‘s report here.) The events have been adapted for the screen before, with Dick Clark Productions and star Jennifer Grey, but somehow I suspect Coppola’s take will be a little more polished.

Coppola’s interest in the lives of the rich and famous is nothing new, but The Bling Ring will approach the topic from a fresh angle. Producers, which include Coppola, Roman Coppola, and Youree Henley, describe the film as taking “a sobering view of our modern culture,” with a specific focus on celebrity culture.

Solid Snake
03-01-12, 09:03 AM
not interested in what it's about....but Coppola gets my interest at least.

Tarantino
03-01-12, 10:57 AM
Coppola & Emma Stone...no thanks.

riotinmyskull
03-01-12, 11:25 AM
Coppola & Emma Stone...no thanks.

not sure if a typo or you just have horrible reading comprehension skills

Solid Snake
03-01-12, 12:52 PM

depends...how's the education system in Central California?

whoopdido
03-01-12, 12:54 PM
Lesbian scene? If not...pass.

Oh wait, I didn't read it closely enough. Emma Stone isn't in this. Some kind of Hermione nudity, or I'm not interested.

PopcornTreeCt
03-01-12, 01:37 PM
depends...how's the education system in Central California?

:lol:

Honestly, I haven't grown weary of Coppola making movies about the rich and famous but this one might just push me over the edge.

clckworang
03-01-12, 02:33 PM

His comment made me go up and read it again, thinking maybe I did not read something correctly. :lol:

LickTheABCs
03-01-12, 02:45 PM
I want some Hermoine boobies!

Wasn't that chick from that E! reality show part of that stupid bling ring thing? The one with the sister with the huge jugs that was in Playboy? God, I hate myself for knowing these things!

Tarantino
03-01-12, 02:48 PM
Emma Stone annoys me and Sofia Coppola's movies put me to sleep. What else do you want me to say?

PopcornTreeCt
03-01-12, 03:09 PM
:doh:

FantasticVSDoom
03-01-12, 03:31 PM
No, now its awesome...

Dr Mabuse
03-01-12, 03:38 PM
Emma Stone annoys me and Sofia Coppola's movies put me to sleep. What else do you want me to say?

rotfl

riotinmyskull
03-01-12, 06:15 PM
:suicide:

Dorsalphin
03-01-12, 08:32 PM
-popcorn-

Surely the studio will eventually replace Emma Stone. She just doesn't seem like a good fit for this role.

Arpeggi
03-01-12, 08:42 PM
Epic thread

Deftones
03-01-12, 08:49 PM

That you have the inability to read a simple sentence?

islandclaws
03-01-12, 08:55 PM
The title alone turns me off. Anything with "bling" loses my interest, but I'm mildly curious to see a trailer.

auto
03-01-12, 09:10 PM
That you have the inability to read a simple sentence?

rotfl

It's Tarantino, keep your expectations low. :lol:

Rival11
03-01-12, 10:21 PM
:lol:

Tarantino
03-01-12, 10:25 PM
:lol: Sorry, I stop paying attention once I see "Emma". Stone or Watson is interchangeable, I feel the same way...so, the comment stays the same.

My Other Self
03-01-12, 10:35 PM
depends...how's the education system in Central California?Sexy!
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/599479-teacher-year-waits-till-victim-18-a.html

outcastja
04-13-12, 08:51 PM
Some on set pics.

http://img2-1.timeinc.net/people/i/2012/news/120423/emma-watson-300.jpg

There's more here (http://www.thesuperficial.com/emma-watson-doesnt-look-like-a-little-boy-anymore-sorry-pedophiles-04-2012) and here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2129104/Emma-Watson-transformed-rebel-The-Bling-Ring-flaunts-plenty-flesh-sprawling-tramp-stamp.html?ITO=google_news_rss_feed) for my fellow pervs.

The Infidel
04-13-12, 10:35 PM
Those are some very nice legs. Plus, she looks infinitely better with longer hair.

Charlie Goose
04-13-12, 11:53 PM
Meh, I haven't like anything Emma Watson has been in since Sense & Sensibility.

whoopdido
04-14-12, 01:33 AM
Good lord. Can we please just get an Emma Watson sex tape and get it over with? Every man in the world wants to see Hermione getting plowed so let's just see it already.

dex14
03-08-13, 11:37 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FgPjhnafXIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/the-bling-ring01.jpg

ben12
03-08-13, 12:02 PM
The tagline is "Bling Ring, do your thing!"

DaveyJoe
03-08-13, 12:07 PM
Hey, that rhymes!

onebyone
03-08-13, 12:08 PM
Can't wait for this one.

I am really loving post Potter Emma Watson.

dex14
04-02-13, 03:12 PM
:drool:

http://www.gotceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/celebrities/emma-watson/gq-magazine-2013/Emma-Watson---GQ-magazine-2013--02.jpg

http://www.gotceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/celebrities/emma-watson/gq-magazine-2013/Emma-Watson---GQ-magazine-2013--04-560x840.jpg

The Infidel
04-02-13, 08:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/The_Infidel/emmajulia.png:original

DaveyJoe
04-02-13, 08:25 PM
http://www.gotceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/celebrities/emma-watson/gq-magazine-2013/Emma-Watson---GQ-magazine-2013--04-560x840.jpg

That looks like a dress designed by Dennis Reynolds.

dex14
04-23-13, 09:27 PM
<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://movies.yahoo.com/video/bling-ring-trailer-2-211239808.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>

Obey The D
04-23-13, 09:33 PM
That looks like a dress designed by Dennis Reynolds.

rotfl

Chadm
04-24-13, 01:30 AM
I'll see this. I didn't care for Somewhere. But Marie Antoinette and Virgin Suicides were both really good. Lost In Translation is one of my favorite films of alltime. So anything from Sofia Coppola i'll definitly see. The trailer is alright.

GatorDeb
04-25-13, 03:25 AM
It introduced me to an awesome song and band. No badly how badly it sucks (if it does), it delivered already. That song is now my current favorite.

EddieMoney
04-25-13, 01:43 PM
It introduced me to an awesome song and band. No matter how badly it sucks (if it does), it delivered already. That song is now my current favorite.

Fixed so that the next person who reads this doesn't develop the same splitting headache I did. ;)

BambooLounge
04-25-13, 01:53 PM
This looks good. Seems like Coppola is ready to take on celebrity obsessed tabloid culture in way that is as entertaining and intelligent as Mel Gibson's Payback wasn't.

Bluelitespecial
04-28-13, 12:43 PM
I saw the trailer, and looks like scenes were lifted from the E show Pretty Wild. Its looks interesting, only down side it will make these real life kids who did this more famous.

Solid Snake
04-28-13, 01:37 PM
It's Sofia Coppola and while the subject matter may not initially interest me, Coppola's does.

Why So Blu?
04-28-13, 02:22 PM
I hate the title. "Bling" is such an outdated term in pop culture. It's so early 2000's.

Solid Snake
04-28-13, 02:39 PM
That was around the 90s. I'm not sure how early it went though.

riotinmyskull
04-28-13, 06:28 PM
I hate the title. "Bling" is such an outdated term in pop culture. It's so early 2000's.

isn't this based on a story that took place in the early 2000's? it'd be like not calling DAZED AND CONFUSED...well DAZED AND CONFUSED.

Matthew Chmiel
04-28-13, 06:41 PM
While I enjoy Sleigh Bells' debut album Treats from 2010 (their song Crown on the Ground was used in both trailers to this flick and their song Kids was used in the trailers for Pain & Gain), I'm confused as why Hollywood has finally started to use their music in trailers. On the other hand, their sophomore album is a gigantic piece of shit and they are the worst band I've seen live. They sucked so much dick live that it completely ruined one of LED Soundsystem's final performances for me. Their live set sounded like cats fucking.

... and the events of the film took place from 2008 - 2009. The Bling Ring is a far catchier title than The Hollywood Hills Burglar Bunch.

RocShemp
04-28-13, 06:44 PM
This actually doesn't look good at all. That said, Emma Watson looks hot. I look forward to the screencaps, if there's any nudity.

Why So Blu?
04-28-13, 08:59 PM
isn't this based on a story that took place in the early 2000's? it'd be like not calling DAZED AND CONFUSED...well DAZED AND CONFUSED.

It was 2008-2009. Hardly the early 2000's. Freakin' Iron Man 1 was already out.

Throwing Copper
07-02-13, 03:43 PM
so has anybody seen this? It's not on that many screens and has only made about $4 million.

I kind of thought this would be on the radar of more people. I'm a big fan of Sofia Coppola, but it looks like I'll be waiting for the BluRay.

EddieMoney
07-02-13, 03:48 PM
I like that screencap of Emma sticking her tongue out, makes me visualize sticking my dick in her mouth.

Other than that, I don't find her the hot. She needs some implants.

And this movie doesn't really interest me. Sofia Coppola made one great movie and a bunch of pretentious ones where she got to diddle her skittle to her hip music choices.

Ginwen
07-02-13, 04:24 PM
I thought it was decent. There were 5 people in the theater including my wife and me, so not a huge hit. Everyone was pretty annoying, but Emma Watson was one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a movie. It was a bit funny that I found it pretty tense, even though of course they are going to get caught (and deserved to).

I'm also a bit surprised Paris Hilton played along (she's even in one scene) considering it made her look kind of bad Basically, they could keep robbing her house over and over because she had so much crap in such a mess she didn't even know she'd been robbed

Matthew Chmiel
07-02-13, 04:26 PM
As I wrote on Letterboxd:

From A24, the hipsters that brought you the hipster-tastic A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III and Spring Breakers, comes another hipster piece of trash from the hipster queen herself Sofia Coppola.

The Bling Ring has a fantastic soundtrack that sadly accompanies one of the most vapid flicks of the year.

That's all you need to know. Despite running less than 90 minutes, I was bored throughout most of it. At least Spring Breakers was much more visually engaging... besides the better looking women.

RichC2
07-02-13, 04:28 PM
Hipster has to be the most incorrectly used description these days.

DaveyJoe
07-02-13, 05:10 PM
Hipster has to be the most incorrectly used description these days.

Sounds like something a hipster would say!

TimeandTide
07-02-13, 11:11 PM
That's all you need to know.

All I gleaned from your review is that you have no idea what the word "hipster" means and that you favor movies that feature hot chicks.

Did you edit out the insight from your original review, or is that all there is?

Chadm
07-02-13, 11:59 PM
I enjoyed it. I'm still waiting to love a movie from Sofia as much as I love Lost In Translation. Emma Watsons accent was pretty jarring, but I still enjoyed her performance. Leslie Mann was terrific. All the homeschooling scenes were pretty funny. I'm only familiar with the "the Secret" book in passing, but I thought that fit these characters pretty well. Turns out its true too. I watched an interview with these girls about their reality show on Chelsea Lately on youtube when I got home. They were all just as vacant as the characters in The Bling Ring portrayed them. Apparently the house they used in the film was Paris Hilton's actual house. I never thought I'd say this, but the fact that she was willing to make herself look bad and laugh at herself a little made her an inch less repulsive. Then again, maybe she didn't even realize it made her look bad. Anyways , I liked it. I'd give it 7/10. Now I need to check out her brothers latest film "A Glimpse Inside The Mind of Charles Swan III". I have considerably less hope for that film though. Despite its great cast.

dhmac
07-04-13, 01:12 AM
I liked it. I think the film had within it a clever satire of the basic idea of the self-help book "The Secret" (that was frequently referenced in the movie) which claims that if someone tries to attract what they most desire into their lives, it will happen.

The kids in the Bling Ring most desired to be just like the celebrities that they robbed:

(1) Those celebrities had a lot of expensive clothes and nice possessions as well as a lot of money (the Bling Ring kids got all of that via the robberies)

(2) Those celebrities get a lot of media attention (the Bling Ring kids got that kind of attention after they were caught)

(3) And some of those celebrities (ex. Lindsey Lohan) end up spending time in jail (the Bling Ring got to do that too!)

So the Bling Ring kids basically achieved the goal set forth by "The Secret" of becoming what they most desired.

mdc3000
07-05-13, 12:20 AM
I kind of hated it - things just sort of happen with little to no commentary whatsoever on the situation or players involved. It was like the script was written by someone with no opinions and recounting a boring story they heard from a friend...with a story as sensational as this one was, I wasn't expecting the film to be a dead lay. The soundtrack was great and there are a few moments here and there, but the TRAILER is a way better experience than the actual film is.

Groucho
07-05-13, 01:03 AM
Hipster has to be the most incorrectly used description these days.I misused the word "hipster" incorrectly long before it was cool.

cgray
09-19-13, 12:14 AM
Name that movie:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie where, like Bling Ring, people snuck into other people's houses. I think was mainly to use their pools, hang out, etc. The main running time of the movie occurred after the owner of the house came home. They kept him hostage for the night. I believe they eventually made a deal that they would let him free if he would let them go without alerting the police. It may end with the owner trying to decide what to do, or actually calling the police. Ideas?

Dr. DVD
09-19-13, 04:32 PM
Saw this via the Redbox last night. Music was good and Emma Watson did a great job acting, but overall I didn't really care for this one. Lost in Translation must have been ghost directed by Spike Jonze or something, because aside from that all of Sophia Coppola's efforts are three star at best. Virgin Suicides, Marie Antoinette, and this are all stories about characters with whom it is very difficult to connect and sympathize.

Coral
09-19-13, 06:46 PM
I didn't think this was good. I'd rate it a 2 out of 5 at best.

I never saw the big deal with Sophia Coppola's films for the most part.
Her best film is Virgin Suicides - which I liked a lot. Thought Lost in Translation was highly overrated, and the rest was pretty ho-hum.

Jack Straw
09-19-13, 09:21 PM
Name that movie:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie where, like Bling Ring, people snuck into other people's houses. I think was mainly to use their pools, hang out, etc. The main running time of the movie occurred after the owner of the house came home. They kept him hostage for the night. I believe they eventually made a deal that they would let him free if he would let them go without alerting the police. It may end with the owner trying to decide what to do, or actually calling the police. Ideas? Suicide Kings

RocShemp
09-19-13, 10:21 PM
Suicide Kings

That's not it. The only thing that fits the description is that there's a hostage. But he was intentionally taken and not at his house.

cgray
09-23-13, 03:38 PM
Yeah, that's not the one I was looking for. Thanks for trying.