DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Davy Jones RIP

SkullOrchard
02-29-12, 01:18 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/02/monkees-singer-davy-jones-dies-report/

Numanoid
02-29-12, 01:20 PM
Out of nowhere. Just saw his Brady Bunch episode (for the millionth time) again last week. Sad.

http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/files/2010/03/Davyheadshotold.jpghttp://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/files/2010/03/Davyheadshotnew-214x300.jpg

PenguinJoe
02-29-12, 01:22 PM
2012 has been a weird year for celebrity deaths so far.

Hokeyboy
02-29-12, 01:23 PM
I... just saw The Monkees live last May, and even saw Davy host a small screening of 'Head' to benefit a local community center. The live performance was phenomenal, and he even sang at the screening. He was a wonderful, charming, upbeat host and a great performer.

This is sad news indeed. :( RIP Davy

wishbone
02-29-12, 01:26 PM
I opened this thread thinking it must be a different Davy Jones... :(

:rip:

TomOpus
02-29-12, 01:32 PM
Very sad indeed. Watched every episode of the show back in the day. :(

I wonder what David Bowie is thinking.

cungar
02-29-12, 01:35 PM
2012 has been a weird year for celebrity deaths so far.

Why do you say that?

cungar
02-29-12, 01:36 PM
Very sad indeed. Watched every episode of the show back in the day. :(

I wonder what David Bowie is thinking.

I was just reading about his heart problems this morning. I always thought he was a health concious kind of guy but apparently not.

Numanoid
02-29-12, 01:38 PM
David Bowie, health conscious? Do you consider living on cocaine (and no food) for ten years "health conscious"? ;)

cungar
02-29-12, 01:43 PM
David Bowie, health conscious? Do you consider living on cocaine (and no food) for ten years "health conscious"? ;)

I meant the last 25 years or so.

Drexl
02-29-12, 01:44 PM
Wow, I did not see that coming. RIP.

reverie
02-29-12, 01:49 PM
Very sad... :(

JumpCutz
02-29-12, 01:50 PM
"It looks like he took....his last train to Clarksville" YEAAAAAAH!!!

http://www.celebrity-news-report.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/David-Caruso1.jpg

LiquidSky
Sad. :(

hasslein
He was at the Hollywood Collector's show two weeks ago and looked great, had lots of energy.. A real shock...

riotinmyskull
02-29-12, 02:01 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mdd5xI9l7Ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hokeyboy
02-29-12, 02:03 PM
"The porpoise is waiting good-bye, good-bye. Good-bye, good-bye, good-bye...."

:(

TomOpus
02-29-12, 02:08 PM
"It looks like he took....his last train to Clarksville" YEAAAAAAH!!!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RUZeZ1e441A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nando820
02-29-12, 02:14 PM
RIP Davy Jones

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xKhmLX4EyDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Palaver
02-29-12, 02:17 PM
Wow. What a shocker. Very sad news.
Monkees were one my all time of favorite groups. He always seemed like a great guy. :(

Ash Ketchum
02-29-12, 02:21 PM
I don't do a lot of American songs in karaoke (preferring Japanese pop songs), but "Daydream Believer" is one of the few I've done more than once.

This is very upsetting. He was always the most endearing of performers. :sad:

General Zod
02-29-12, 02:26 PM
Aww crap. I promised everyone he would sing at the prom!

Hokeyboy
02-29-12, 02:28 PM
^^too soon :mad: and :lol:

Quatermass
02-29-12, 02:53 PM
Dibs on his locker!

MrSmearkase
02-29-12, 03:05 PM

TomOpus
02-29-12, 03:14 PM
Mike Nesmith:
All the lovely people. Where do they all come from?

So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.

David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.

Mickey Dolenz
Can't believe it...Still in shock...had bad dreams all night long. My love and prayers go out to Davy's girls and family right now...

Peter Tork
It is with great sadness that I reflect on the sudden passing of my long-time friend and fellow-adventurer, David Jones.

His talent will be much missed; his gifts will be with us always. My deepest sympathy to Jessica and the rest of his family.

Adios, to the Manchester Cowboy.

Peace and love, Peter T.

The Valeyard
02-29-12, 03:31 PM
I am shocked by this news and extremely saddened.

RIP Davy.

stingermck
02-29-12, 03:36 PM
Very Sad, jamming to them now via Youtube. I've been meaning to pick up the re-release season sets. Now 1-2 week wait on Amazon.

PenguinJoe
02-29-12, 03:47 PM
Very sad news.
Monkees were one my all time of favorite groups. He always seemed like a great guy. :(

One of your "all time favorite groups?" REALLY? Not to sound dickish but really?

The Infidel
02-29-12, 04:08 PM
Somewhere, right now, Marcia is weeping.

RIP

TomOpus
02-29-12, 04:18 PM
More from Mickey Dolenz
I am in a state of shock; Davy and I grew up together and shared in the unique success of what became The Monkees phenomena. The time we worked together and had together is something I'll never forget. He was the brother I never had and this leaves a gigantic hole in my heart. The memories have and will last a lifetime. My condolences go out to his family.

Spiderbite
02-29-12, 04:36 PM
Wasn't he the cute Beatle?

It definitely sucks. He always seemed the nicest and most level-headed of the group.

TomOpus
02-29-12, 04:41 PM
Antenna TV Remembers Davy Jones – “The Monkees” Marathon to air March 3 & 4 (http://corporate.tribune.com/pressroom/?p=3944)
From “Daydream Believer” to “Last Train to Clarksville,” The Monkees won hearts on both sides of the pond. Beginning Saturday, Antenna TV remembers Davy Jones with a weekend-long tribute.

Antenna TV, which airs on 60 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 58% of TV households, will honor Davy Jones and The Monkees beginning with a special airing of “Head” (1968) at 1pm ET on Saturday, March 3rd. Antenna TV will also air a complete 58-episode marathon of The Monkees on Saturday, beginning at 5pm ET, and running straight through to Sunday, March 4th with an encore airing of “Head” at 10PM ET.

Antenna TV (http://www.antennatv.tv/) launched on January 1, 2011 and is available as a digital multicast channel on 60 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 58% of TV households, including WPIX-TV (11.4) New York, KTLA-TV (5.2) Los Angeles, and WGN-TV (9.2) Chicago. For local station information please visit: http://www.antennatv.tv/affiliates
Bolded for those who get Antenna TV and have not seen "Head".

dom56
02-29-12, 04:57 PM
Just saw the news and very sad. I grew up liking the Monkees as a kid. :(

One of my favorite song he sung.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ehJNw-T3gpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RIP Davy Jones.

Navinabob
02-29-12, 05:00 PM
He was a childhood icon of mine. I will miss him dearly.

Rocketdog2000
02-29-12, 05:12 PM
One of your "all time favorite groups?" REALLY? Not to sound dickish but really?

Sorry, but you do sound a bit dickish by saying that. We've all got our own personal faves, and The Monkees are very much one of my all time favorite groups. They debuted on this planet the same year I did, and their music and my life have been intertwined ever since. The very first albums I ever owned were copies of their records handed down to me by one of my Aunts.

I know it's easy for people to make light of them, and consider them a bit of a joke, but they actually did make some great, enduring music with many fine songs. Even if they didn't write or preform on all of them. Headquarters remains one of my favorite records by anyone to this day.

I once happily read an interview with R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe, where he said that The Monkees were more important to him on a musical level than The Beatles ever were. Like me, The Monkees were his gateway into the world of rock & roll, and as such he always held them in high regard.

They may not mean anything to you, but to some of us, they meant (and still do) a great deal. Hard as that may be for you to understand, we're still in shock and grieving by this news. I, for one, would appreciate it if you could at least think before you make comments such as you did, and maybe not make them at all. Show a little bit of respect, please.

Rest in Peace, Davy Jones. You will be missed, good sir!

davidh777
02-29-12, 05:18 PM
Just saw the news and very sad. I grew up liking the Monkees as a kid. :(

One of my favorite song he sung.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ehJNw-T3gpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RIP Davy Jones.

Thanks, I was going to post that same song

Sonny Corinthos
02-29-12, 05:29 PM
:( Sad news. RIP.

Evan Meadow
02-29-12, 05:31 PM
Now we need to petition Criterion to put out their version of Head that they made only as part of a box set an individual release.

RIP Davy

Rocketdog2000
02-29-12, 05:42 PM
Now we need to petition Criterion to put out their version of Head that they made only as part of a box set an individual release.

RIP Davy

Here, here!

TomOpus
02-29-12, 05:53 PM
Hey Rocketdog2000. Very nicely put :up:

It was interesting to read your take on how the group affected you, though you were born the same time they were. They were part of my Saturday morning routine along with cartoons. I was too young to understand they weren't really playing the instruments or that they didn't really write the songs. But those were some catchy songs (65 million sold) and they will forever be connected to them.

The Cow
02-29-12, 06:03 PM
Wow, I'm a big fan of the Monkees. Saw them (without Mike, of course) in Cincy last summer. Still have several of their records on vinyl. I thought Peter would be the first to go.

Bummer, RIP Davy.

Numanoid
02-29-12, 06:26 PM
Sorry, but you do sound a bit dickish by saying that. We've all got our own personal faves, and The Monkees are very much one of my all time favorite groups. They debuted on this planet the same year I did, and their music and my life have been intertwined ever since. The very first albums I ever owned were copies of their records handed down to me by one of my Aunts. Instant Replay is one of my favorite albums, by any group.

Numanoid
02-29-12, 06:26 PM
So has iTunes doubled the prices on Monkees albums yet?

SkullOrchard
02-29-12, 06:28 PM
The first time I saw and heard The Beatles, I thought they were a Monkees ripoff.

A lot of Monkees songs hold up better today than a lot of "serious" music from that era.

arminius
02-29-12, 06:39 PM
I was in 5th or 6th grade at that time when we had a contest on who was the better group, The Beatles or The Monkees. The Monkees won. I remember bugging my mother to buy me their albums as they came out. Those, those were different times. And they were a bunch of nice guys screwed over by empty suits.

MonkeesRock
02-29-12, 06:53 PM
Sorry, but you do sound a bit dickish by saying that. We've all got our own personal faves, and The Monkees are very much one of my all time favorite groups. They debuted on this planet the same year I did, and their music and my life have been intertwined ever since. The very first albums I ever owned were copies of their records handed down to me by one of my Aunts.

I know it's easy for people to make light of them, and consider them a bit of a joke, but they actually did make some great, enduring music with many fine songs. Even if they didn't write or preform on all of them. Headquarters remains one of my favorite records by anyone to this day.

I once happily read an interview with R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe, where he said that The Monkees were more important to him on a musical level than The Beatles ever were. Like me, The Monkees were his gateway into the world of rock & roll, and as such he always held them in high regard.

They may not mean anything to you, but to some of us, they meant (and still do) a great deal. Hard as that may be for you to understand, we're still in shock and grieving by this news. I, for one, would appreciate it if you could at least think before you make comments such as you did, and maybe not make them at all. Show a little bit of respect, please.

Rest in Peace, Davy Jones. You will be missed, good sir!

Well said! I agree about the Headquarters album! My favorite album with More of the Monkees closely behind! Rest in peace David! :(

MonkeesRock
02-29-12, 06:54 PM
Instant Replay is one of my favorite albums, by any group.

Great album but it is just not the same without Peter!

TheBigDave
02-29-12, 07:13 PM
Davy and Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits) were Tiny Cowboy on Phineas & Ferb. I was just watching that episode yesterday.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RyaSHORrVkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hokeyboy
02-29-12, 07:38 PM
They're one of mine too. No offense but if all you know of the "Monkees" concept/band is just the TV show and some pop culture punchlines, you don't know dick.

TGM
02-29-12, 07:45 PM
I didn't believe my wife when she told me Davey Jones had died, then I saw her face........

stingermck
02-29-12, 08:09 PM
My mother grew up with them and was a huge fan, so when I was very young I was already exposed to their music. I guess I was around 10 when MTV showed the reruns and loved it. I would take them over most bands any day.

Hokeyboy
02-29-12, 08:13 PM
Hmmm.... a Monkees Album-By-Album Thread might be in order...

starman9000
02-29-12, 08:18 PM
RIP, he made some truly classic music and visual moments.

Pizza
02-29-12, 08:37 PM
I'm a big fan of The Monkees and this is sucky news. Glad I made the trip to Niagara Falls and saw the Monkees last year as I always wanted to see them live. Coincidentally, a month or so before that show my wife and I were at Epcot in Florida and Davy was playing solo there. Sat through his show twice. I did a phone interview with the guy a number of years back.

JumpCutz
02-29-12, 08:46 PM
I didn't believe my wife when she told me Davey Jones had died, then I saw her face........

:lol:

chino77
02-29-12, 09:08 PM
the monkees were the first band i ever saw in concert. it was back in the 80's when they had their revival. its one of my best childhood memories. weird al opened for them. i can still listen to the monkees these days but can barely make it through 1 weird al song.

Fielding Mellish
02-29-12, 09:23 PM

...now I'm a bereaver.

Rocketdog2000
02-29-12, 09:26 PM

I'd be down with that.

windom
02-29-12, 09:54 PM
In related news, all members of the New Monkees are alive and well.

Seriously though, I did love watching the original show when it was in reruns when I was kid.

Evan Meadow
02-29-12, 11:57 PM
Time to slam the Rock HOF Board & get them in!

Jaymole
03-01-12, 12:07 AM
This is very sad news...was always a big fan of the show and their music. They were a big part of my childhood and I continually listen to their music to this day.

RIP DAVY

HUG-H
03-01-12, 08:05 AM
I'm shocked and really can't believe that somebody in the Monkees died. The 1st thing that went through my mind was something Davy said during one of the many profiles that they did in the last 20 years or so--something like "Nobody died in this band". Crazy that he was the one that said this.

Anyway, even though he wasn't the one in the group I admired the most as a songwriter or musician, he was still a great singer and showman and will be remembered for that.

Here's something that probably hasn't been seen since the CBS run of The Monkees:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SgXc5zylMn8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TomOpus
03-01-12, 01:38 PM
Mickey Dolenz on the Today Show (http://todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/01/10548194-micky-dolenz-davy-jones-was-the-go-to-guy-for-fun)

Rocketdog2000
03-01-12, 01:56 PM

You ask, I deliver...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/599480-album-album-thread-monkees.html

DaveM4964
03-01-12, 08:49 PM
For those that can't resist making jokes about celebrities that pass away. Try and remember that even if you are not a fan show some class and respect. David Jones was a husband and father. Try and think of his family and friends during this difficult time. I've lost my parents, a brother and a sister and i wouldn't find it funny if you made jokes about them. I doubt you would find it amusing if someone made jokes about a member of your family who died.

Drexl
03-01-12, 09:09 PM
For those that can't resist making jokes about celebrities that pass away. Try and remember that even if you are not a fan show some class and respect. David Jones was a husband and father. Try and think of his family and friends during this difficult time. I've lost my parents, a brother and a sister and i wouldn't find it funny if you made jokes about them. I doubt you would find it amusing if someone made jokes about a member of your family who died.

We're too busy singing to put anybody down.

TomOpus
03-01-12, 09:24 PM
I think the only remarks that could've been considered "jokes" were pretty tame and respectfully done. They weren't harsh or demeaning to his family or career. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like any joking in RIP threads.

This thread shows that Davy's (and The Monkees) music reached a lot of people within a wide demographic. Everyone remembers him fondly and his memory will live on for a very long time.

digidoh
03-02-12, 02:21 PM
In addition to the Antenna TV marathon, the MeTV network will be having their own Davy Jones tribute on Sunday, March 4. They'll be showing the Brady Bunch episode and two episodes of Love, American Style, featuring Jones ("Love and the Elopement" (1970), and "Love and the Model Apartment" (1973)).

http://metvnetwork.com/davyjones.php

Spiderbite
03-02-12, 03:00 PM
...now I'm a bereaver.

:lol: If you don't find that funny then you don't have a funny bone.

I read this last night and still laugh out loud when I sing it in my head.

rexinnih
03-02-12, 03:11 PM
RIP Davy. Couldn't believe it when I heard this. He looked, relatively, young and healthy.

Rocketdog2000
03-02-12, 07:39 PM
BIOGRAPHY Channel is running two Davy Jones themed specials tonight, starting at 8pm EST. The first show is Madcap Monkees, and the second is a new look back at Davy's life in Remembering Davy Jones (airing at 9pm). Looks like they'll be re-running them both into the early morning hours.

JohnnyMovie
03-02-12, 11:58 PM
:rip: Davy Jones :(

JAA
03-03-12, 07:41 AM
RIP Davy. Couldn't believe it when I heard this. He looked, relatively, young and healthy.

Agreed. Davy always looked great for his age.

TomOpus
03-06-12, 05:52 PM
Message on Facebook:

Jessica and Annabel Jones have asked that we share Annabel's statement regarding her father. It is quite frankly the most beautiful . Please share.

Some of you may or may not know that on Wednesday last week I lost my Father.
My family and I have been overwhelmed by the love and support of everyone who has reached out to tell us that we're not alone.
Thank you for helping to make me feel less lost and bottomless, knowing you are all dotted around the Earth makes life less frightening and like if we all reached out we could hold hands and make a chain all the way around the planet.
Dad and I connected mostly over music, songwriting and performance, that's where we understood each other.
The hours I spent sitting amongst you all watching him perform are honestly some of my most precious and treasured moments. Everything was so simple while he was up there, I felt proud and close and I understood him there, as I know you all did.

I have heard about "Occupy Beavertown" and I want you to know that I think it's a WONDERFUL idea, I wish us girls could be there with you. It will be so great for you all to be together and see the Church that he built for ALL of us. Please respect the neighbours and your surroundings, I know that you will.

Take pictures and send them to me?

Keep in touch…

Annabel

xox

kristina
03-15-12, 08:18 PM

OMG... I just think that's so hilarious right now. lol!!! Thank you for making me laugh. I really needed that today.

bigjim25
03-16-12, 10:49 PM

:lol:

atlantamoi
03-22-12, 05:56 AM
I was on a busy vacation when I heard about Jones' death. It wasn't until getting the latest Rolling Stone and opening it to a big photo of Davy from the 60's that it hit me with sadness. I'm not immune to perceptions people had of this band through the years, but I've always loved them. I remember buying their debut on CD 20 years ago (after having it on vinyl since I was a kid). It was used at a funky record store and I made a crack with the store clerk and then we both agreed how fantastic their music was. I never cared to see The Monkees live as older guys. No matter, I adore their music and hate seeing people who mean(t) a lot to me passing.

Hokeyboy
03-22-12, 03:56 PM
For anyone who's interested in this sort of thing: Mickey Dolenz will be replacing Davy Jones next month at EPCOT's Flower & Garden Festival, May 18-20th. For Monkees/Davy Jones fans, I'm sure it'll be a heartfelt performance.