DVD Talk
DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ dawn [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ dawn

Trevor
02-28-12, 06:42 AM
DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/29/12

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac231/TrevorWilliams88/leapdaychallengepic.jpg

Why? - Another Challenge? Are you kidding me? No, sadly, I'm serious. I've always had a fascination with Leap Day and time travel, we have a three day break between Challenges, and the theme segues well into the Action/Adventure Challenge.

What? - Any film or TV episode or short that deals with Time Travel in any way is allowed. Commentaries or alternate versions are allowed, but otherwise each specific item can only be counted once.

When? - We start at dusk tonight, February 28th 2012, and run until dawn on March 1st 2012. Anything you complete during these thirty-six or so hours can be counted. As a bonus, we'll start the Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge a day early this year, so you could get double credit during this entire Challenge if so inclined.

How? - Watch the items on TV, computer screens, in theaters, on your phones, or through direct neural transmission if you are participating from the future. No checklist or theme nights, the latter especially would be a bit overkill. Everything counts as one. Two wild cards, but they are very limited. Until someone presents me similar variations, here are the only two possible wild cards:

Films/shows about the actual event of leap day
Films/shows that involve a sort of almost time travel like Groundhog Day

Where? - Don't you mean, "when?" Discuss the Challenge and your viewings in this, the Discussion Thread. Post your list in the pending List Thread. Perhaps we'll just have the list thread merged with the Action/Adventure Challenge, maybe even allow all of this Challenge to be counted in that one? Thoughts? Edit to add: Let's just include our lists in this thread. I imagine we'll only have a handful of participants, if that, so a few lists mixed into this thread shouldn't be a problem.

Who? - Anyone and everyone is invited. In fact, anyone on this planet that watches a Time Travel related item during this time frame, has participated in the DVDTalk Challenge whether they know of our existence or not.

shadokitty
02-28-12, 08:15 AM
I see Mister Peepers mentioned Sliders as a possibity. What is the ruling on that since it involves travelling between different earths? Curious since I have the box set of seasons 1 and 2 of Sliders. Also List thread?

Trevor
02-28-12, 08:35 AM
I see Mister Peepers mentioned Sliders as a possibity. What is the ruling on that since it involves travelling between different earths? Curious since I have the box set of seasons 1 and 2 of Sliders. Also List thread?

Hmmm. I've never seen Sliders, but I'd say that if there is no time travel, it doesn't count. We can be liberal and stretch things though, so perhaps someone more fluent in Sliders can make an argument. Now I'm craving White Castle....

On the List thread, I'm thinking there is probably no need for one. Since we'll have few, if any, participants in this one day Challenge, we can just include our lists here in this one thread.

shadokitty
02-28-12, 09:30 AM
Hmmm. I've never seen Sliders, but I'd say that if there is no time travel, it doesn't count. We can be liberal and stretch things though, so perhaps someone more fluent in Sliders can make an argument. Now I'm craving White Castle....

On the List thread, I'm thinking there is probably no need for one. Since we'll have few, if any, participants in this one day Challenge, we can just include our lists here in this one thread.

That's fine, I found on netflix, I have four movies that I own that count, as I thought oftwo more movies, and there are a lot of time travel movies on netflix as well. I own Godzilla vs King Ghidroah, Bender's Big Score, Star Trek 4, and Star trek First Contact. All four movies have time travel in them.

orlmac
02-28-12, 11:49 AM
I'm in, I think it will be a blast. Time Travel movies are just about my all-time favorites so I have seen many of them but I have never seen the Time Cops TV series so I am going to watch some of those episodes.

davidh777
02-28-12, 11:54 AM
So many qualifying titles, so little... er...

shadokitty
02-28-12, 12:00 PM
I also have quite a few qualifying Star Trek episodes that count from my fan collectives. Think I'll start with Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, as I have a friend coming over to watch movies and enjoy the challenge with me and he wants to start with a Godzilla movie.

WallyOPD
02-28-12, 12:18 PM
There is one episode of Sliders (The Guardian from Season 3) that I would say counts for this challenge, although it is not technically time travel.

mike07
02-28-12, 12:31 PM
looks like a good time for the Back to the Future trilogy!

edit: Didn't notice it was already suggested in the OP.

coyoteblue
02-28-12, 12:43 PM
A perfect time to revisit Futurama: Roswell That Ends Well, Justice League Unlimited: The Once and Future Thing, Justice League: The Savage Time or Justice League Unlimited: Hereafter.

My List (finished):
February 28:
1. Venture Bros: "Escape To The House of Mummies Part 2" - dvd
2. The Time Travelers (1964) dir. Ib Melchior - Youtube
February 29:
3. The Avengers "Escape in Time" - dvd
4. Farscape "Back and Back and Back to the Future" - dvd
5. The Wild Wild West "The Night of the Lord of Limbo" - dvd

shadokitty
02-28-12, 12:53 PM
How would season 1 of Heroes work? The whole season or just the episodes that Hiro actually time travelled?

davidh777
02-28-12, 01:01 PM
If you're going to watch the whole season during this challenge, you should get full credit :bow:

shadokitty
02-28-12, 01:08 PM
I didn't plan to watch the entire season, but I meant, would the whole story arc count as time travel or just the specific episodes where he actually time travelled.

shadokitty
02-28-12, 01:12 PM
btw Less than 4 hours to go :D :banana: :rock:

shadokitty
02-28-12, 01:18 PM
I can even fit some horror into this challenge as I own Hellraiser: Bloodline, which I've never seen before.

Trevor
02-28-12, 01:29 PM
Shadokitty, if you watch even 10% of what you've mentioned as possibilities you'll prove yourself to be an actual time traveler. Would you like to sponsor this Challenge with prizes from the future?

;)

Trevor
02-28-12, 01:33 PM
I didn't plan to watch the entire season, but I meant, would the whole story arc count as time travel or just the specific episodes where he actually time travelled.

Here's my thinking. For a show like Quantum Leap, where a main focus was on time travel, any episode would count, even an episode where there was no actual time travel. But for any series not focused on time travel, there would have to be actual time travel in the specific episodes you count.

Same with Action/Adventure/Crime. Say there was an episode of Matlock where no crime took place or was even discussed; that episode would still count as it was a "crime series".

orlmac
02-28-12, 01:37 PM
If you are looking for one to watch with the family (or if you enjoyed Bert Gordon's films) The Boy and the Pirates is streaming on Netflix. I think my nephew and I will check that out tomorrow.

Trevor
02-28-12, 02:03 PM
If you are looking for one to watch with the family (or if you enjoyed Bert Gordon's films) The Boy and the Pirates is streaming on Netflix. I think my nephew and I will check that out tomorrow.
Thanks! I'm not a Netflixer, but will have to search for this or a similar family film for tonight or tomorrow night. Back to the Future is the fallback, but I'd prefer something different.

KaBluie
02-28-12, 02:08 PM
I'll rewatch these three MST3K episodes:

0306 Time Of The Apes (1974) (XXII)
0821 Time Chasers (1990) (5)
1004 Future War (1994) (XIII)

Plus Terror from the Year 5000 on YouTube!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yQMB6HOuzfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Any other Time Travel episodes?

shadokitty
02-28-12, 02:15 PM
Less than 3 hours to go.

davidh777
02-28-12, 02:47 PM
Except on the left coast :(

davidh777
02-28-12, 02:48 PM
I've been working my way through this set for previous sci-fi challenges. Guess which one I haven't seen yet? :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51i3jxnbtKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Trevor
02-28-12, 03:05 PM
You mean the wrong coast?

But you get an extra few hours at the end of every Challenge, so no complaining!
I've been working my way through this set for previous sci-fi challenges. Guess which one I haven't seen yet? :D
I stumbled upon The Time Machine on TBS or something last week. Doh! Just a bit too early.....

BobO'Link
02-28-12, 05:32 PM
That image above from the Quantum Leap open reminds me of a event from my days working in TV. A lady brought a VHS tape in to the News Dept. telling them that the tape has "some kind of occult/psychic/alien/supernatural phenomena" in the middle of the program she'd recorded. The producer brought the tape to the Control Room and we took a look. Sure enough there was a flash frame of "something" in the middle of a scene. We dubbed it to digital so we could slow it down to get a better look. A *single frame* of the Quantum Leap open (the exact one above) got inserted into the program with a couple of frames of "snow" following it. It looked as if her recorder dropped a frame when recording somehow. I knew the scene as my wife and I were regular viewers of the program (the *only* "sci-fi" based program she's *ever* watched with me). It took some talking but we finally managed to convince her what it was and what may have happened. We actually had to show her the frame-by-frame breakdown and explain every frame. She was *sure* she had something worth some $$$! :lol:

BobO'Link
02-28-12, 05:47 PM

Hmmm. I've never seen Sliders, but I'd say that if there is no time travel, it doesn't count. We can be liberal and stretch things though, so perhaps someone more fluent in Sliders can make an argument.
I'm fluent in Sliders and as much as I'd like to say it involved time travel it does not. It deals with parallel dimensions but *not* the type which can used to resolve paradoxes possibly initiated by a trip to the past. The type where you make a change to the past which causes an alternate or parallel history to occur. In Sliders it's a scenario where there are *already* hundreds, if not thousands, of parallel universes that a person can "slide" between. Some are *very* similar to your origination point but are *not* the past or future of the timeline from which you originated.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
02-28-12, 05:51 PM

But these normally start midnight EST, which means we get to start at 9 pm. At least at 9 pm our time, someone always posts that the challenge has started, which is good enough for me. I also end it early to make up for the start in the theory that someone would post that the challenge is over but they never do.

Have I been reading it wrong?

davidh777
02-28-12, 06:15 PM
But these normally start midnight EST, which means we get to start at 9 pm. At least at 9 pm our time, someone always posts that the challenge has started, which is good enough for me. I also end it early to make up for the start in the theory that someone would post that the challenge is over but they never do.

No, but this particular one starts at dusk so normal rules don't apply. Of course with as little sun as we get around here, dusk probably started an hour ago.

Then again, Trevor might like it if we bent the time rules a little. :)

Shadokitty, if you watch even 10% of what you've mentioned as possibilities you'll prove yourself to be an actual time traveler. Would you like to sponsor this Challenge with prizes from the future?

;)

:lol: :up: Placing my order for a hoverboard

BobO'Link
02-28-12, 06:28 PM
I'm trying to decide which title to start with but so far *all* of them I have also qualify for the Action/Adventure/Crime challenge. I'm having trouble convincing myself to use them anyway...

Those who have the sets, the Mr. Peabody & Sherman segments from The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show qualify! :)

paradicelost
02-28-12, 07:37 PM
I don't want to be difficult and throw in another post with "Does ???? this count" but I guess I will anyway. Does something like "Groundhog Day" count since some would refer to that as a timeloop. I just ask because I just came across this thread and thought I'd give the challenge a try and I just watched the Supernatural episode "Mystery Spot".

02-28-12, 07:41 PM
After the crappy day at work I had, that's only going to get worse as the week rolls on, I had an even crappier experience when I got home. I'd say our cats got the worst of it. Our 3 year old decided to play with a toy in their litterbox after putting it in their water, so litter was all glued to it and left in their food dish. Based on what was at the bottom of their water fountain, he washed some of it off in there too. Then he put the adult cat's food in the kitten's food. Then came a side order of putting more of that food in the water dishes.

Awesome thing to come home to. I only hope the report of major snow tonight comes true and they close the school tomorrow so I don't need to work. Problem is, when they predict major snow, let alone any snow, it only happens about 10% of the time. If it's really bad, it's still business as usual that first day but then people see how bad it was for everyone driving around all day and so they close things down the second day. The second day is when all the snow usually melts by noon.

It would be nice to sit and watch time travel stuff all day tomorrow but I know it won't happen :(

edit: Damn, maybe there will be snow but I know they won't cancel anything until after I make the long trek through hilly and icy roads

"Overcast with snow and rain, then snow after midnight. Low of 30F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 100% with accumulations up to 3 in. possible."

orlmac
02-28-12, 07:47 PM
I've been thinking, since the Action/Adventure challenge will typically start at dusk on February 28th, shouldn't the movies/shows that are watched on February 29th every 4 years count for both challenges, the Leap Day Challenge and the Action/Adventure Challenge?

gp1086
02-28-12, 09:05 PM
I was going to watch Back To The Future 3 the first time for the action challenge, but given these circumstances, thinking I'll move it up a little bit. :D

shadokitty
02-28-12, 09:13 PM
My list

1. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
2. Star Trek The Next Generation: Yesterday's Enterprise
3. Star Trek Generations
4. Futurama: Bender's Big Score

Pizza
02-28-12, 09:33 PM
This is awesome. And, I have the day free tomorrow. Even the wife is out of town. "Time" for an all nighter baby.
My list:
1. Army of Darkness
2. Star Trek - City on the Edge of Forever
3. Star Trek 4 - The Voyage Home
4. Escape from the Planet of the Apes
5. Dr. Who - The End of the World
6. Time Tunnel - Visitors from Beyond the Stars (it's like the original take on Cowboys and Aliens)
7. Primevil - episode 1
8. Primevil - episode 2
9. Time After Time
10. Primer

Gobear
02-28-12, 10:29 PM
My list:
February 28
1. The Time Tunnel (1966), "Rendezvous with Yesterday"
2. The Time Tunnel (1966), "One-Way to the Moon"
3. The Time Tunnel (1966), "End of the World"

February 29
4. Doctor Who (1976), "The Talons of Weng-Chiang"
5. 12 Monkeys (1995)
6. Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)

Cardsfan111
02-28-12, 11:12 PM
Ok, so how many wild cards do we get? ;)

I just noticed I've got Leap Year on the DVR. Surely that's gotta count, right? :)

SterlingBen
02-28-12, 11:15 PM
I recommend Time Crimes

davidh777
02-28-12, 11:27 PM
I watched this last year for the sci-fi challenge but don't plan to watch it again :lol:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mT47uZrtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jmsmath
02-28-12, 11:31 PM
I started this mini-challenge out with Time Bandits (1981) and have to say, I really enjoyed it. Much more comedy than I expected and some pretty good, cheesy action. Not sure how I missed it all these years.

davidh777
02-28-12, 11:32 PM
After the crappy day at work I had, that's only going to get worse as the week rolls on, I had an even crappier experience when I got home. I'd say our cats got the worst of it. Our 3 year old decided to play with a toy in their litterbox after putting it in their water, so litter was all glued to it and left in their food dish. Based on what was at the bottom of their water fountain, he washed some of it off in there too. Then he put the adult cat's food in the kitten's food. Then came a side order of putting more of that food in the water dishes.

Awesome thing to come home to. I only hope the report of major snow tonight comes true and they close the school tomorrow so I don't need to work. Problem is, when they predict major snow, let alone any snow, it only happens about 10% of the time. If it's really bad, it's still business as usual that first day but then people see how bad it was for everyone driving around all day and so they close things down the second day. The second day is when all the snow usually melts by noon.

It would be nice to sit and watch time travel stuff all day tomorrow but I know it won't happen :(

edit: Damn, maybe there will be snow but I know they won't cancel anything until after I make the long trek through hilly and icy roads

"Overcast with snow and rain, then snow after midnight. Low of 30F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 100% with accumulations up to 3 in. possible."

Sorry, MP :sad:

KaBluie
02-29-12, 12:24 AM
My List:
1. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Time Of The Apes (1974) (Vol. XXII)
2. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Time Chasers (1990) (Vol. 5)
3. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Terror From The Year 5000 (1958) (YouTube)
4. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Future War (1994) (Vol. XIII)

Greg MacGuffin
02-29-12, 12:39 AM
DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rcM5wMUCfCw/TxXlhVPX0lI/AAAAAAAAD4w/5Pj8MCV27LI/s1600/059450-donnie-darko.jpg

February 28
1. Source Code

February 29
2. Donnie Darko

gp1086
02-29-12, 01:35 AM
Even though the list is likely not exhaustive and only movies, feel free to check out Wikipedia for a summary and ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Time_travel_films

Thinking I'm going to watch a non-Action/Adventure/Crime title from that list and then kick into full-gear the next day.

davidh777
02-29-12, 02:24 AM
I thought about avoiding action, but heck with it. What's interesting about this challenge is that we didn't have much time to prep and have to rely on instant options or our own collections, and I remembered I had this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KX3EGV30L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And I'm on the board! :banana:

My list:

1. Star Trek DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations
2. Star Trek Voyager: Year of Hell, part 1
3. Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

BobO'Link
02-29-12, 06:46 AM
Well, since this now 100% overlaps with the Adventure/Action/Crime, the indecision is removed from selections! :)

And I *totally* forgot about The Time Tunnel TV series! How? Who knows... Looks like it may get a workout on the 29th!

I'm somewhat surprised at the amount of good time travel films and shows. You could almost do a month on that genre alone.

"Official" list

Complete:

DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ dawn
Theme: Time Travel

February 28th
1. Time Bandits (1981) (my all time favorite Gilliam film)
2. Army of Darkness (1992)

February 29th
3. 12 Monkeys (1995)
4. The Time Tunnel (1966) S1E1: Rendezvous with Yesterday
5. The Time Tunnel (1966) S1E2: One Way to the Moon
6. The Time Tunnel (1966) S1E3: End of the World

Pizza
02-29-12, 08:13 AM
I thought about avoiding action, but heck with it. What's interesting about this challenge is that we didn't have much time to prep and have to rely on instant options or our own collections, and I remembered I had this one:

And I'm on the board! :banana:

1. Star Trek DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations
2. Star Trek Voyager: Year of Hell, part 1
That was the first set I pulled out. Had just bought it from Big Lots a few weeks back.
Time Tunnel is a great idea. I may check out an ep from that.

Trevor
02-29-12, 08:18 AM

When Challenge leaders started adding the "to dawn" hours, and now the Jewish counting of starting the day at dusk the night before, I always thought of it as being sunrise/sunset of wherever you happen to be that day. We all live in different time zones, so there is no one universal start or stop moment in time. This seems most fair to me, although I guess people living near the poles may have a slight advantage or disadvantage depending on the seasons.

My goal one day is to travel to an island closest to the international date line to start a Challenge earlier than anyone else, and then hop to an island on the other side of the line at the end of the Challenge.

Not sure if I understood/answered your query there.
I don't want to be difficult and throw in another post with "Does ???? this count" but I guess I will anyway. Does something like "Groundhog Day" count since some would refer to that as a timeloop. I just ask because I just came across this thread and thought I'd give the challenge a try and I just watched the Supernatural episode "Mystery Spot".
Hmmm. Maybe as a wildcard?
I've been thinking, since the Action/Adventure challenge will typically start at dusk on February 28th, shouldn't the movies/shows that are watched on February 29th every 4 years count for both challenges, the Leap Day Challenge and the Action/Adventure Challenge?
Yes, but only count things in the forthcoming Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge if your Time Travel items are actually action, adventure, or crime.
Ok, so how many wild cards do we get? ;)

I just noticed I've got Leap Year on the DVR. Surely that's gotta count, right? :)
Two wild cards, but they are very limited. Until someone presents me similar variations, here are the only two possible wild cards:

Films/shows about the actual event of leap day
Films/shows that involve a sort of almost time travel like Groundhog Day

I started this mini-challenge out with Time Bandits (1981) and have to say, I really enjoyed it. Much more comedy than I expected and some pretty good, cheesy action. Not sure how I missed it all these years.
I envy your first time viewing there. Love that film.
I remembered I had this one:

Sweet! I found my Star Trek bin in the closet, thinking I had that collection, but apparently I only have the Q one. Darn, especially with me being too lazy to actually find those episodes in the actual season sets sitting right there in the bin.

shadokitty
02-29-12, 08:41 AM
Sweet! I found my Star Trek bin in the closet, thinking I had that collection, but apparently I only have the Q one. Darn, especially with me being too lazy to actually find those episodes in the actual season sets sitting right there in the bin.

There is time travel I believe of a sort in All Good Things, right? At least under IMDB's plot keywords of time travel, it falls in that list.

Gobear
02-29-12, 08:53 AM
There is time travel I believe of a sort in All Good Things, right? At least under IMDB's plot keywords of time travel, it falls in that list.

In that episode, Picard travels to his past and future, and Q takes Picard to the beginning of life on Earth, so yes.

orlmac
02-29-12, 09:00 AM
My list:

1. Timecop: S1E1: A Rip in Time* (0:45:00) (Netflix Streaming)
2. Repeaters* (2010) (1:29:16) (Netflix Streaming)
3. Retrograde* (2004) (1:32:59) (Netflix Streaming)

My list is complete, moving on to Action/Adventure that doesn't include time travel.

Ash Ketchum
02-29-12, 09:30 AM
For me? G.I. SAMURAI.

davidh777
02-29-12, 09:43 AM
For those interested in digging into your own collections, here are the episodes in the Trek Time Travel Fan Collective set:

12 episodes on four discs: Tomorrow Is Yesterday (TOS 21), The City on the Edge of Forever (TOS 28), Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG 163), Cause and Effect (TNG 218), Time's Arrow parts 1 and 2 (TNG 226-227), All Good Things... (TNG 747), Little Green Men (DS9 480), Trials and Tribble-ations (DS9 503), Year of Hell parts 1 and 2 (Voyager 176-177), Endgame (Voyager 828)

Pizza
02-29-12, 09:53 AM

It's in the Time Travel set so it's got Paramounts blessings.

Pizza
02-29-12, 10:07 AM
If there are any Dr Who fans out there this is a good chance to watch some eps since he is a time lord and all. Some episodes are more appropriate than others. I just finished watching "The End of the World."

02-29-12, 10:18 AM
Too late now but there's Terminator 1/2/3. There was also a decent episode of the TV series where a Terminator ended up going to far in the past.

BobO'Link
02-29-12, 11:02 AM
^"Too late" depends on how much sleep you need or if you're fortunate enough to have the day off - which doesn't include me. :( I have to struggle to watch a feature film on Wednesdays as, for me, they are *always* long. After work I go directly to the Comic Store and hang out for a couple of hours after which it's off to Choir Practice. I get home around 7:30pm and *then* eat supper (usually in front of the TV). :D

02-29-12, 12:07 PM
We had a tiny amount of snow but since it rained last night, all the water froze, so it was nice and icy on the drive in. Of course you have retards tailgating since normal people should be driving slower. Just because you're in a pickup doesn't mean you aren't going to start spinning out and lose all traction on the hills while I drive on past you, slowly but with traction.

shadokitty
02-29-12, 01:00 PM
Just watched Star Trek Generations for the first time, and was kind of underwhelmed. Mainly because I was hoping for more Kirk.

coyoteblue
02-29-12, 01:08 PM
Here's some original Outer Limits episodes that should qualify:

"The Man Who Was Never Born", "Controlled Experiment", "The Forms of Things Unknown", "Soldier" and "Demon With a Glass Hand".

"Controlled Experiment" might be borderline, since it's about manipulating time instead time travel.

pagefrance
02-29-12, 01:16 PM
My list:
1. Inside: Irwin Allen's The Time Tunnel - Seen on Youtube, here's the link: http://youtu.be/3MByhY6aSUo
2. Time After Time (1979) Time travel romantic adventure that holds up really well. Malcolm McDowell stars as H.G. Wells who has not only written about a Time Machine, he's built one. He doesn't realize that among his friends is the notorious Jack the Ripper (David Warner) who the uses the machine to escape to the modern era (of 1979). Seen with commentary by actor Malcolm McDowell and writer/director Nicolas Meyer.
3. Charmed, Season 1 - That 70s episode - The Halliwell sisters escape to the 1970s and meet their child selves.
4. Charmed, Season 1 - Morality bites - After having a premonition of herself being burned at the stake, Phoebe and her sisters travel 10 years into the future to prevent it. Once in the future they find a society where witches are persecuted and magic punishable by death.
5. Charmed, Season 3 - All Halliwell's Eve - During Halloween a time portal opens up and sends the Charmed Ones to the 1700s when witches were considered evil. There they must save the life of a child who is special to the Halliwell line.

Trevor
02-29-12, 01:18 PM
Too late now but there's Terminator 1/2/3. There was also a decent episode of the TV series where a Terminator ended up going to far in the past.
Not too late, we still have 16 or so hours!
Just watched Star Trek Generations for the first time, and was kind of underwhelmed. Mainly because I was hoping for more Kirk.
Yep, I was very SPOILER disappointed in the lame death they gave to Kirk. They should have had him fall into the nexus instead of to his death.

shadokitty
02-29-12, 01:26 PM
In case no one saw Trevor's post on the Action/Adventure Challenge, he said stuff you watched that included both time travel and action/adventure could be used for both challenges if I read his post correctly, am I right Trevor? Just noting it here, as I see no one has made anything on their list on the action/adventure challenge.

BobO'Link
02-29-12, 02:04 PM
We had a tiny amount of snow but since it rained last night, all the water froze, so it was nice and icy on the drive in. Of course you have retards tailgating since normal people should be driving slower. Just because you're in a pickup doesn't mean you aren't going to start spinning out and lose all traction on the hills while I drive on past you, slowly but with traction.
That sounds like the idiots around here. They drive their truck/SUV on the ice/snow as if they are impervious *but* get a little drizzle and they drive as if the roads are slick as goose grease. I once saw a guy in his pickup truck get stuck on a speed bump on a very slight incline (1" of snow). He proceeded to spin the wheels until he actually slide sideways into the ditch! I drove past him in my Corolla, *stopping* on the incline he got stuck on to check traffic, and drove off with no slipping or sliding. I did not have chains, snow tires, or anything else helping me other than knowing how to drive on the stuff. Yes, I waved at him as I drove past. :D

BobO'Link
02-29-12, 02:10 PM
In case no one saw Trevor's post on the Action/Adventure Challenge, he said stuff you watched that included both time travel and action/adventure could be used for both challenges if I read his post correctly, am I right Trevor? Just noting it here, as I see no one has made anything on their list on the action/adventure challenge.
That's how I read it. I've not updated my list out of laziness...

02-29-12, 02:22 PM
Not too late, we still have 16 or so hours!

For some silly reason, I was thinking this short challenge lasted from last night till this morning.

Trevor
02-29-12, 02:43 PM
For some silly reason, I was thinking this short challenge lasted from last night till this morning.
It's short, but not that short.

For a really short Challenge, be here on June 30th for DVDTalk's First Leap Second (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second) Challenge.

BobO'Link
02-29-12, 02:51 PM
I felt the same way when I saw it during the original release run. Overall I was *very* disappointed in the film and felt a bit ripped off story wise (I didn't pay to see it or I'd have felt ripped off monetarily as well). Overall I felt Data had the best parts and segments but IMHO that alone wasn't enough to salvage the rest of the film. I actually enjoyed ST:V more than this one.

davidh777
02-29-12, 03:00 PM

Maybe you should call in today

02-29-12, 03:04 PM
If I didn't have deadlines in the next couple days, I would have considered it.

Tomorrow is going to be more of the same, the only difference is if the ice will be covered with snow or not.

davidh777
02-29-12, 03:41 PM
In my experience, the snow on top is better because it gives some traction

davidh777
02-29-12, 05:16 PM
Rewatching this, which my kid used to love. Much better than current Disney Channel fare, and I'll get action credit too. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SKYS9M5EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dimension X
02-29-12, 05:43 PM
That sounds like the idiots around here. They drive their truck/SUV on the ice/snow as if they are impervious *but* get a little drizzle and they drive as if the roads are slick as goose grease. I once saw a guy in his pickup truck get stuck on a speed bump on a very slight incline (1" of snow). He proceeded to spin the wheels until he actually slide sideways into the ditch! I drove past him in my Corolla, *stopping* on the incline he got stuck on to check traffic, and drove off with no slipping or sliding. I did not have chains, snow tires, or anything else helping me other than knowing how to drive on the stuff. Yes, I waved at him as I drove past. :D
Was your Corolla a front wheel drive car? If so, you had a hell of an advantage over the RWD vehicles on the road (I know my old FWD Chevy drove much better in the snow than any RWD car I've ever had).

02-29-12, 06:24 PM
In my experience, the snow on top is better because it gives some traction

We have some steep hills downtown which seems to negate some of that benefit but the rest of the time, I agree it helps.

It really is a fun ride to work. I leave around 7, so nothing's really melted at that point. After I get out of town, I'm on one of those old highways where it's large trees on each side, to help block any sun from melting any ice or snow. It's always nice and slick there with today having that nice white sheen all along it.

Once I get out of that and start to get into the town where I work, I hit a bunch of crazy hills from there until I get out of the main downtown area which is where my job is. Then about a quarter of the time, no matter how slow I'm turning into the parking lot, I'll slide some. Then when I try to park, I usually end up sliding a bit more until I get into a spot to park. I usually arrive right after the guys have tried to fix the lot, or something, but what end up happening is they've removed a portion of the snow while packing down anything remaining so it's nice and slick.

It snowed more today but most of it melted but there might be more snow tonight. At the very least there will be more to freeze so it should be another fun drive tomorrow.

BobO'Link
02-29-12, 08:35 PM
Was your Corolla a front wheel drive car? If so, you had a hell of an advantage over the RWD vehicles on the road (I know my old FWD Chevy drove much better in the snow than any RWD car I've ever had).
Nope. A 1974 rear wheel drive, 2 door model. It *did* have a standard transmission which also helps quite a bit.

Trevor
02-29-12, 08:46 PM
Hey, if we're going to talk about cars, shouldn't they be Deloreans? ;)

BobO'Link
02-29-12, 09:01 PM
^:lol:

BobO'Link
02-29-12, 09:05 PM
OK... got home and put my list in the Action/Adventure/Crime challenge list with indicators of this one doing the cross over dance! Looks like many others either didn't get the message or don't care to start early.

02-29-12, 09:11 PM
Hey, if we're going to talk about cars, shouldn't they be Deloreans? ;)

Does Army of Darkness count? That had a car and some time travel.

orlmac
02-29-12, 09:27 PM
OK... got home and put my list in the Action/Adventure/Crime challenge list with indicators of this one doing the cross over dance! Looks like many others either didn't get the message or don't care to start early.

I appreciated the early start. Got two movies and one TV episode in, one of the movies was great and one was only so-so.

davidh777
02-29-12, 10:11 PM
We have some steep hills downtown which seems to negate some of that benefit but the rest of the time, I agree it helps.

It really is a fun ride to work. I leave around 7, so nothing's really melted at that point. After I get out of town, I'm on one of those old highways where it's large trees on each side, to help block any sun from melting any ice or snow. It's always nice and slick there with today having that nice white sheen all along it.

Once I get out of that and start to get into the town where I work, I hit a bunch of crazy hills from there until I get out of the main downtown area which is where my job is. Then about a quarter of the time, no matter how slow I'm turning into the parking lot, I'll slide some. Then when I try to park, I usually end up sliding a bit more until I get into a spot to park. I usually arrive right after the guys have tried to fix the lot, or something, but what end up happening is they've removed a portion of the snow while packing down anything remaining so it's nice and slick.

It snowed more today but most of it melted but there might be more snow tonight. At the very least there will be more to freeze so it should be another fun drive tomorrow.

Not sure where you live, but people always make fun of Seattle drivers in the snow. Some of it is deserved, but there are also extenuating circumstances: Big hills, and mildish weather that promotes icy slushiness that makes things treacherous.

^"Too late" depends on how much sleep you need or if you're fortunate enough to have the day off - which doesn't include me. :( I have to struggle to watch a feature film on Wednesdays as, for me, they are *always* long. After work I go directly to the Comic Store and hang out for a couple of hours after which it's off to Choir Practice. I get home around 7:30pm and *then* eat supper (usually in front of the TV). :D

Wow, I figured I'd be the only one on this board to have a choir/comics yin and yang! :banana:

davidh777
02-29-12, 10:18 PM
Sorry, back on topic. I really enjoy the time-travel aspect of "H___arry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban":

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yRKYFSOuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

gp1086
02-29-12, 10:25 PM
Just finished up watching The Butterfly Effect for my contribution to this challenge! Tomorrow starts the Action / Adventure / Crime. Nice idea, Trevor!

gp1086
02-29-12, 10:26 PM
Sorry, back on topic. I really enjoy the time-travel aspect of this one:
I agree. Easy on the spoilers though, man. ;)

davidh777
02-29-12, 10:41 PM
I agree. Easy on the spoilers though, man. ;)

So I shouldn't admit I watched it for this challenge? :)

gp1086
02-29-12, 10:59 PM
Nah - it's cool. Just saying that that component is somewhat of a reveal in the movie.

Chad
02-29-12, 11:26 PM
My little list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey w/ Kier Dullea and Gary Lockwood commentary

It really deserves a better commentary. Just read the novel for the first time a few days ago, which explains a lot. Watched the film immediately afterward.

And yes, there's time travel - the millennia jump cut from stone age to space age, the psychedelic monolith time warp and the aging sequence at the end. Trippy.

Trevor
03-01-12, 12:12 AM
Rewatching this, which my kid used to love. Much better than current Disney Channel fare, and I'll get action credit too. :)
Found the Kim Possible movie on YouTube and downloaded it, thinking Elise would watch it with me. She said no, but I think I'll watch it anyway.
I appreciated the early start. Got two movies and one TV episode in, one of the movies was great and one was only so-so.
Your signature is quite out-of-date orlmac!
Just finished up watching The Butterfly Effect for my contribution to this challenge! Tomorrow starts the Action / Adventure / Crime. Nice idea, Trevor!
One of my favorite concepts and guilty pleasure films!
I've never given that film series much of a chance, and only own a couple of them, but will probably marathon through them all one of these Challenges.
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey w/ Kier Dullea and Gary Lockwood commentary

It really deserves a better commentary.
Darn. Just watched the film last week for the Academy Award Challenge, and was looking forward to a re-watch with commentary.

03-01-12, 01:32 AM
Not sure where you live, but people always make fun of Seattle drivers in the snow. Some of it is deserved, but there are also extenuating circumstances: Big hills, and mildish weather that promotes icy slushiness that makes things treacherous.

I'd say crazy ass hills instead of just big hills. I hated driving there even in the summer.

I managed to not watch anything involving time travel today. I have failed.

mike07
03-01-12, 08:59 AM
My List:
1. Back to the Future (1985)
2. Back to the Future Part II (1989)
3. Back to the Future Part III (1990)

Not bad for a 36 hour challenge. I recommend doing this every 4 years! :)

Trevor
03-01-12, 09:11 AM
This Challenge is officially over for most of the world.

Hawaii and other Pacific Island residents have another hour or two.
I managed to not watch anything involving time travel today. I have failed.
Not completely, you're still a top five poster for the thread! As such, you win a prize.

The top five posters and top five lists for this Challenge win the gift of time. You all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early.

Results <s>thread</s> post pending.
Not bad for a 36 hour challenge. I recommend doing this every 4 years! :)
Wilco!

omike
03-01-12, 09:23 AM
Dang, I'm gone for a few days and you kids go and throw a challenge! Luckily I found out soon enough to sneak one in yesterday before dusk that can count for this and the Action/Adventure Challenge. I watched World Without End (1956) about a rocket ship that (somehow) gets flung hundreds of years into the future and crashes on a planet full of .... horrible creatures (bet you though I was going to say 'apes' huh!). Really good stuff, especially for those who like 50's SF.

Great idea Trevor! Looking forward to 2016.

Trevor
03-01-12, 10:27 AM
^ Glad you found us in time omike!

I definitely plan on doing this every four years. Time Travel and Leap Days are two of my favorite things, and I'm sort of pissed that I didn't think of this thing back in 2008.

Oh, and unless you live in Pago Pago in the South Pacific, this Challenge is over!

davidh777
03-01-12, 12:19 PM
Nah - it's cool. Just saying that that component is somewhat of a reveal in the movie.

Agreed--I edited for spoilers.

I've never given that film series much of a chance, and only own a couple of them, but will probably marathon through them all one of these Challenges.

Ack, too late! :gah:

My kid watched with me and wants to marathon through a number of others in the series. That would count for this challenge. :up:

Found the Kim Possible movie on YouTube and downloaded it, thinking Elise would watch it with me. She said no, but I think I'll watch it anyway.

I find this movie particularly fun and charming and have rewatched it several times (now that I've said that you'll hate it :))

I know you've said she watches some Disney Channel, and Kim Possible was my favorite show when my kids were watching. Fun for those of us who like heroes and gadgets, and it has more winking humor than attitude. My kids watch more Nick these days, but I find the current Disney fare to be intolerable.

davidh777
03-01-12, 01:40 PM
I left two titles on the table. :sad: I started watching the 30 Rock episode "Leap Day," and started watching The Time Machine but didn't finish either. I can roll The Time Machine over to the Action challenge at least, but no double credit. :(

Not completely, you're still a top five poster for the thread! As such, you win a prize.

The top five posters and top five lists for this Challenge win the gift of time. You all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early.

Results <s>thread</s> post pending.

Wilco!

:banana: Looking for the thread bump when we resume in 2016!

03-01-12, 02:11 PM
Crap, I just remembered I got Time After Time on Wednesday. I had a perfect opportunity to watch Jack the Ripper travel through time for this challenge.

davidh777
03-01-12, 02:25 PM
Crap, I just remembered I got Time After Time on Wednesday. I had a perfect opportunity to watch Jack the Ripper travel through time for this challenge.

Bummer. I wanted to watch that one but wasn't sure where my copy was.

Trevor
03-02-12, 03:17 PM
My list:

1 - Somewhere in Time (1980) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081534/) - At home w/ Jen - 7.5/10 - For the first time in our marriage, we watched something that I didn't own but came from Jen's meager DVD collection of ten or so titles. Better than I expected, although I don't think I liked the ending.

2-58 - Peabody's Improbable History (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peabody_and_Sherman) - I was going to try to watch all 92 episodes, but came up a bit short.

59 - Outer Limits

Trevor
03-02-12, 03:18 PM
:banana: Looking for the thread bump when we resume in 2016!
Remind me if I forget! Although I probably won't bump this one, but just have a new thread.

Results post will be done Monday-ish, so everyone please have your lists done by then.

BobO'Link
03-02-12, 06:23 PM
^Here or in our A/A/C list?

Trevor
03-02-12, 08:23 PM
^Here or in our A/A/C list?
I hadn't thought of that. I imagine all of us here are doing both Challenges. But I think here would be best.

BobO'Link
03-03-12, 04:31 AM
^Sounds good. Here's the link to my post with the final list (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11133834-post46.html)!

Trevor
03-05-12, 07:10 AM
Results post in progress, expect it later this afternoon/evening. Let me know if you make any changes before then.

Which one did you like?

I notice you had an "R" theme going on that day.
Wow, I figured I'd be the only one on this board to have a choir/comics yin and yang! :banana:
Not choir/comics, but I'm sure I've gone straight from a church event to a comic book store dozens of times in my life. Sadly, I'm not sure which place I worship more in.....
I find this movie particularly fun and charming and have rewatched it several times (now that I've said that you'll hate it :))
Started it and think I'll like it, but got distracted and will finish it later in the month.
but I find the current Disney fare to be intolerable.
I'm very forgiving on TV, and have been subjected to an hour or so of Disney shows a day since moving in with a ten year old. I have to admit that I really like Good Luck Charlie, and don't cringe at the other shows she watches like So Random, Jessie, and Wizards of Waverly Place. But yeah, I'm way too forgiving.
I left two titles on the table. :sad: I started watching the 30 Rock episode "Leap Day," and started watching The Time Machine but didn't finish either.
Can't believe I forgot to watch that 30 Rock episode. Pretty much my favorite show, about a favorite topic, and would have perfectly fit the Challenge, but it totally slipped my mind despite looking forward to it all week.
Loved that film when I saw it as a kid, hope it holds up when I re-watch it, hopefully this month.

orlmac
03-05-12, 08:11 AM
My list:

Which one did you like?

I thought Repeaters had great ideas and good execution of them. I'm sure there are others out there like it but I can't recall seeing any. Retrograde was so-so, I know there were a lot of other movies out there that did it much better. I should have saved it for the Drive-In challenge if I was going to waste my time on it.

03-05-12, 09:39 AM
How is Timecop?

orlmac
03-05-12, 10:42 AM
How is Timecop?

For the first episode of a series I thought it was pretty good. I would have liked to have watched more but Netflix took it down at midnight that night so I didn't get the chance to see if it found it's voice better as the episodes went on but the first one was good enough for me to keep watching.

davidh777
03-05-12, 12:21 PM
Started it and think I'll like it, but got distracted and will finish it later in the month.

It totally counts for the sci-fi and animation challenges too :)

I'm very forgiving on TV, and have been subjected to an hour or so of Disney shows a day since moving in with a ten year old. I have to admit that I really like Good Luck Charlie, and don't cringe at the other shows she watches like So Random, Jessie, and Wizards of Waverly Place. But yeah, I'm way too forgiving.

Actually I meant to say that Good Luck Charlie is a pretty decent show, though I would never imply that such a judgment would have anything to do with the hotness of a young starlet because that would just be wrong. It's the Suite Life stuff that really drove me crazy, and new shows like ANT Farm haven't registered with me. Fortunately the kids spend a lot more time with HGTV :hscratch: these days, and I did like a lot of the Food Network shows they were watching. I even worked some of them into Holiday challenges. :D

Trevor
03-05-12, 05:02 PM
Ok, work was busier than I planned, so the fancy smancy (hopefully) results post will come later in the week (tomorrow looks to be busy as well).

I won't come even close to Chad's superb recaps, but I wanted to try to put some amount of effort into a conclusion.

davidh777
03-05-12, 05:15 PM
Just do it Thursday, then travel back to today and tell us it's done. :)

Trevor
03-06-12, 08:40 AM
Just do it Thursday, then travel back to today and tell us it's done. :)
I already did. You're just not in the right timeline at the moment.

Trevor
03-31-12, 05:23 PM
2012 DVDTalk Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge Results

Over a month late in this timeline (but amazingly punctual in my personal one) here is the promised Results Post for our Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge.

Special thanks to Mister Peepers for leading my thoughts to Time Travel being our theme, and Shadokitty for seconding it. That was enough to get me to roll with it. Here is the original conversation from the Action/Adventure challenge thread for posterity. Don't start early. We're going to have a special Leap Day Challenge starting at dusk tomorrow until dusk the next day when Action starts.

We just need to decide the genre/subject matter.
Action or adventure movies that have the hero making a leap at some point. Possibly from one building to another, off a cliff, leaping to grab the edge of a cliff, leaping to grab a rope, etc. A leap of faith would also count as would movies featuring kangaroos.
I like this train.

Perhaps time travel films?
A good idea for Leap Day, but do you know any available to stream? As I only own one film with time travel in it, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah..

All The Watchers

Trevor - 58 - Numbers not as "good" as they appear, as most of them were cartoon shorts.

Pizza - 10 - W* - Outed as a Dr. Who fan.

BobO'Link - 6 - W* - Big props for being ballsy enough to admit liking ST:V more than something else.

Gobear - 6 - W* - The closest to me DVDTalker geographically, yet we've never met.

coyoteblue - 5 - W* - Big thanks for pulling out the Outer Limits episodes that qualify.

pagefrance - 5 - W* - Nicely formatted list with a streaming link to boot!

davidh777 - 4 - Convinced me to watch some Disney animation that even my ten year old stepdaughter wouldn't watch. Should have followed his suggestion and dug through my DVD boxes to find the perfect item for this Challenge, the Star Trek Time Travel episodes!

KaBluie - 4 - Big props for finding the MST3K qualifying episodes and directly linking to the free streaming one. I used it!

shadokitty - 4 - Watched four items that I wish I had time to watch.

orlmac - 3 - Really loves the letter R. I'm curious as to what "orlmac" means.

supermike07 - 3 - Watched the trilogy perfect for this Challenge, and seconded that we'll do this again in 4 years!

Jeffy Pop - 2 - Apparently has a crush on Jake Gyllenhaal.

Ash Ketchum - 1 - Tried something new and watched anime.

Chad - 1 - The one film was a nice pick-up, I totally forgot that 2001 qualifies.

gp1086 - 1 - A first time viewing, and thank you for the wiki link of ideas!

jmsmath - 1 - Made it a great 1 with Time Bandits!

omike - 1 - We tried to sneak this Challenge in, but omike found us anyway. ;)

paradicelost - ?1? - Looks like we definitely watched at least one item, but no list to verify. Quirky spelling references ???

cardsfan111 - 1 - Props for reminding me to make a wildcard rule.

Mister Peepers - 0

Top Five Worders

davidh777 - 18 - W* - Somehow beat even the OP in the posting department.

Trevor - 16 - Extra credit for making most of his posts and viewings while pretending to be fully attentive to his new wife and stepdaughter.

BobO'Link - 13 - W* - Thanks for the crazy lady story. That image above from the Quantum Leap open reminds me of a event from my days working in TV. A lady brought a VHS tape in to the News Dept. telling them that the tape has "some kind of occult/psychic/alien/supernatural phenomena" in the middle of the program she'd recorded. The producer brought the tape to the Control Room and we took a look. Sure enough there was a flash frame of "something" in the middle of a scene. We dubbed it to digital so we could slow it down to get a better look. A *single frame* of the Quantum Leap open (the exact one above) got inserted into the program with a couple of frames of "snow" following it. It looked as if her recorder dropped a frame when recording somehow. I knew the scene as my wife and I were regular viewers of the program (the *only* "sci-fi" based program she's *ever* watched with me). It took some talking but we finally managed to convince her what it was and what may have happened. We actually had to show her the frame-by-frame breakdown and explain every frame. She was *sure* she had something worth some $$$! :lol:
shadokitty - 12 - W* - Thanks for spurring me on to start this.

Mister Peepers - 10 - W* - Performed the amazing task of being the most verbose participant of the thread word count-wise, without watching a single qualifying item.

Orlmac - 7 - W* - Still curious.....

The top 5 of each category get a prize. I'm very cheap though, so the only prize is that you all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early. Winners marked with a W*

* posting totals are the numbers at the Challenge's conclusion

BobO'Link
03-31-12, 09:02 PM
Ash Ketchum - 1 - Tried something new and watched anime.
:lol:
The top 5 of each category get a prize. I'm very cheap though, so the only prize is that you all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early.
So does that mean that you and I get a 2 hour head start as we made the top five in both lists? :D

Thanks for the work and breakdown! That was quite a fun read!

Pizza
03-31-12, 10:17 PM
2012 DVDTalk Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge Results[/

[B]The top 5 of each category get a prize. I'm very cheap though, so the only prize is that you all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early.

Yay! I finally won something here. :) Sadly, I got to wait 4 years to use it. :(

mike07
04-01-12, 01:21 PM
The top 5 of each category get a prize. I'm very cheap though, so the only prize is that you all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early.

The first time I won something on DVDTalk and it's not even enough time to fit in a full-length movie (typical full-length features are at least 90min in length). Oh well, see y'all in 2016!

Trevor
04-02-12, 02:08 PM
So does that mean that you and I get a 2 hour head start as we made the top five in both lists? :D
You do, but I'm exempt from prizes since I made the rules.
Thanks for the work and breakdown! That was quite a fun read!
Thanks. I know it pales in comparison to Chad's annual work, but I had to do something. Hopefully I'll do an equally average effort for the Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge.
Yay! I finally won something here. :) Sadly, I got to wait 4 years to use it. :(
I'll try to remind you guys in 2016.
The first time I won something on DVDTalk and it's not even enough time to fit in a full-length movie (typical full-length features are at least 90min in length). Oh well, see y'all in 2016!
I'm sure we can find you an old sci-fi flick with time travel elements that runs about 60 minutes. Or you can watch a Quantum Leap episode and a half!

davidh777
04-03-12, 01:21 AM
davidh777 - 18 - Somehow beat even the OP in the posting department.

:bdance:

Cardsfan111
04-03-12, 07:35 AM
cardsfan111 - 0? - Props for reminding me to make a wildcard rule.

:)

For the record, I did end up watching Leap Year, the film I suggested was the perfect Wild Card entry. Guess I didn't create a list post since I didn't have much of a list with 1 film.

With nearly 4 years to prepare, I plan on doubling my output next time. I can guarantee you it's the first time I've ever made such a promise with any confidence.

shadokitty
04-03-12, 07:58 AM
shadokitty - 12 - Thanks for spurring me on to start this.

Thanks Trevor, maybe I'll watch an extra episode of Time Tunnel :D

omike
04-04-12, 09:57 AM
omike - 1 - We tried to sneak this Challenge in, but omike found us anyway. ;)

I'm telling you right now that I'm going to be keeping an eye on you kids next Leap Day! :cool:

Trevor
04-05-12, 06:59 AM
Thanks again for participating everyone!

Slight changes to the final results list and winners (post #111 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11174198-post111.html)), for what little that is worth.

I think for 2016 I'm going to try to take a little vacation and plan my schedule so that I can watch the complete Time Tunnel series straight through.

For the Challenge itself, I'm seriously going to try to have a couple of sponsors for prizes, a checklist, and even theme days (three calendar days are covered after all).

Now on to working on finishing up my Action/Adventure Challenge list and then some results.

Pizza
04-08-12, 10:48 AM
Thanks again for participating everyone!

Slight changes to the final results list and winners (post #111 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11174198-post111.html)), for what little that is worth.

I think for 2016 I'm going to try to take a little vacation and plan my schedule so that I can watch the complete Time Tunnel series straight through.

For the Challenge itself, I'm seriously going to try to have a couple of sponsors for prizes, a checklist, and even theme days (three calendar days are covered after all).

Now on to working on finishing up my Action/Adventure Challenge list and then some results.

I actually have a time machine and have already gone to leap year 2016 and watched the entire Time Tunnel series that very day. You came up with some pretty good prizes and I'm looking forward to getting those then.

BobO'Link
04-08-12, 11:34 AM
^Why wait... just jump ahead a couple more days to see if you actually scored! :)

Of course as you've already jumped ahead you've answered the *real* question: Does the Myan calendar predict the end of the world? Guess not, eh? Now I'll have to leave that retirement account alone!

shadokitty
04-08-12, 11:59 AM
^Why wait... just jump ahead a couple more days to see if you actually scored! :)

Of course as you've already jumped ahead you've answered the *real* question: Does the Myan calendar predict the end of the world? Guess not, eh? Now I'll have to leave that retirement account alone!

Since he has a time machine, maybe he'll be our sponsor with prizes from the future. :D