DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Spielberg's reactions to 1976 Oscar Nominations

bluetoast
02-26-12, 12:35 PM
Been around on Youtube, but I just saw it on AICN and thought it was pretty funny.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2mgrxvTdl-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TomOpus
02-26-12, 01:15 PM
Didn't know him and Joe Spinell hung out. That's pretty awesome in itself.

Groucho
02-26-12, 01:16 PM
Hey, is that Joe Spinell?

Nick Danger
02-26-12, 01:17 PM
Good year for Best Picture nominations.

bluetoast
02-26-12, 01:18 PM
Yeah, and the other guy is identified as Frank Pesce, the guy buying cigarettes from Axel in Beverly Hills Cop. Both of those guys were originally supposed to be in Jaws apparently.

stroszeck
02-26-12, 01:22 PM
Funny, Spielberg also said about Barry Lyndon that year that "it's like walking through the Louvre without lunch."

JumpCutz
02-26-12, 01:24 PM
That's a great Joe Spinell clip. :thumbsup:

TomOpus
02-26-12, 01:28 PM
I could see Joe as one of the fishermen on the dock that gets taken out.

Or he could've played Ben Gardner :D

bluetoast
02-26-12, 01:32 PM
I could see Joe as one of the fishermen on the dock that gets taken out.

Good call! That's what was planned. Just found this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jxtiHVNiAFw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Supermallet
02-26-12, 01:33 PM
Funny, Spielberg also said about Barry Lyndon that year that "it's like walking through the Louvre without lunch."

Supposedly he also said about Gandhi when it won, "Gandhi was a great man, but ET is a great film."

Well, he was right about Gandhi.

bluetoast
02-26-12, 01:35 PM
Yeah Attenborough himself was pretty confident that E.T. would win.

TomOpus
02-26-12, 01:37 PM
Wow, never really knew that but I wonder if I had seen that documentary on Joe. If it's on the Maniac DVD then I probably did see it.

Supermallet
02-26-12, 01:37 PM
Choosing Gandhi over ET was one of the better calls the Academy made.

gp1086
02-26-12, 01:43 PM
Is Jaws the last time a semi-horror movie got nominated for Best Picture? I guess some people may consider The Silence of the Lambs horror.

TomOpus
02-26-12, 02:15 PM
Is Jaws the last time a semi-horror movie got nominated for Best Picture? I guess some people may consider The Silence of the Lambs horror.The Crying Game was pretty horrifying -eek-

MoviePage
02-26-12, 02:27 PM
Depending on how strict your definition of "horror" is, you could include Black Swan, No Country for Old Men, The Sixth Sense, and maybe even LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring on that list.

Also, I remember one critic hilariously referring to Elizabeth as "a vampire movie without vampires," but that may be stretching it a bit. ;)

Supermallet
02-26-12, 03:25 PM
Black Swan and The Sixth Sense I can get on board with as horror. Not No Country or LOTR.

inri222
02-26-12, 03:33 PM
http://www.filmsite.org/bestpics2.html

Only one true 'horror' film has won Best Picture, The Silence of the Lambs (1991).
Also, Hitchcock's first US film and Best Picture winner Rebecca (1940)
may be counted as the only winning suspense-thriller.
[Best Picture nominees in this suspense-thriller genre have included Suspicion (1941), Gaslight (1944), Spellbound (1945), and The Sixth Sense (1999).]
The Exorcist (1973) was the only horror film to be nominated for Best Picture in Academy Award history - until 1991.

Supermallet
02-26-12, 03:50 PM
I don't see how a movie with horrific ghosts isn't horror, but whatever.

TomOpus
02-26-12, 03:58 PM
What about District 9? Sure it was mainly sci-fi but with the transformation that Wikus was going through was sorta horror-ish.

RoadToPerdition
02-26-12, 04:39 PM
Spielberg's comment about "commercial backlash" makes me also think of Titanic. While that obviously won a ton of awards, I recall that everyone originally LOVED the movie and you couldn't find somebody that didn't, then later on, magically, a lot of people said they didn't like it.

Groucho
02-26-12, 04:43 PM
Correction: a lot of women loved that movie. They've since moved onto Twilight and the like.

Supermallet
02-26-12, 04:45 PM
It's called hindsight. You get swept up in the wave, and then later when you watch it with a more critical eye the flaws are glaring.

whoopdido
02-26-12, 04:48 PM
Poor Steve. Wonder what happened to that guy. Just think if he had been nominated. Maybe we would actually know who he is today.

RoadToPerdition
02-26-12, 04:49 PM
Correction: a lot of women loved that movie. They've since moved onto Twilight and the like.

I'd hope we can all agree Titanic is higher quality than Twilight. :lol:

Dr Mabuse
02-26-12, 05:31 PM
I've never watched 'Titanic', never want to see it. I have caught a few minutes, less than 5, on TV and it confirmed, actually it was worse, than everything I thought about it when it came out.

Same with 'Twilight', haven't seen any of them. I think I made it for about 3 or 4 minutes once when it was showing on TV. They were playing baseball IIRC. It was worse than I expected.

There are too many truly great films to find and watch out there to waste time on such drivel.

Rival11
02-26-12, 05:40 PM
What about District 9? Sure it was mainly sci-fi but with the transformation that Wikus was going through was sorta horror-ish.

While I'll love the movie....I swear to this day they just included it to throw another nomination into the mix.....wasn't that the first year they bumped up the nominations to like 9 or something?

CloverClover
02-26-12, 05:55 PM

wow, for someone who poses as Kubrick's best friend and an aficionado of his work, I don't think he really understands any of his films. He also called Clockwork Orange a piece of "punk rock"

mcnabb
02-26-12, 06:29 PM
1975, a time when movies that were nominated were actually really good movies, and not most of the slop that are nominated in this past decade.

TomOpus
02-26-12, 07:55 PM
While I'll love the movie....I swear to this day they just included it to throw another nomination into the mix.....wasn't that the first year they bumped up the nominations to like 9 or something?Yes, they had 10 nominees that year. And all nominees are voted in so it wasn't just thrown in. Whether it should've been in the top 10 of that year is always up for debate, but I think it belonged in that group.

TomOpus
02-26-12, 07:57 PM
1975, a time when movies that were nominated were actually really good movies, and not most of the slop that are nominated in this past decade.IMO the 70's was the best overall decade for movies.

bluetoast
02-27-12, 11:30 PM
Yeah...listening to that list of nominees....that's a great group of people to "lose" to. Hell I would be honored to even be making movies at a time when they were alive.

Numanoid
02-28-12, 08:20 PM
IMO the 70's was the best overall decade for movies.Hell yes it was.

johnnysd
02-28-12, 09:52 PM
I was so glad to see this clip. A few months before Jaws came out I convinced my parents to go to the Stage Door deli in NYC. I was like 10 so have no idea why I wanted to go there when I think back

Anyway so we get our sandwiches and theres a guy next to us that starts a conversation with my mom. He was really excitable and he was talking about how he had just made this movie and it was going to be the biggest movie ever. He talked about the fights he was having with the studio, even said some executives did not like the name Jaws. Seemed like he had to fight continuously over every little thing.

Few months later I see Jaws advertised in the paper and my parents remember that day and we go to see it. Jaws was terrifying for a 10 year old by the way, and my mom said no way a scary movie like that is going to be huge like Gone with the Wind.

The funny thing is that for all this time I have almost doubted my recollection of the conversation with Spielberg because it was so different than he has seemed in any interview I have seen of him since. The Spielberg in this clip is exactly as I remember him being.

Solid Snake
02-28-12, 09:53 PM
IMO the 70's was the best overall decade for movies.

talk about being original for sure, man.