Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV Turning Off And On

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV Turning Off And On

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
HDTV Turning Off And On

I'm surprised there isn't a thread already about this, searching online it seems to be a common occurrence. My brand new Panasonic, while watching a blu ray, turns off and on (hasn't happened yet while playing a game or watching cable TV). Sometimes the picture will be gone for a few seconds and come back on while other times the picture will be black for upwards of 2 minutes. Still hear all the audio though, just no picture.

Does this have something to do with the HDMI cable? I made sure the thing was securely connected, but that hasn't seemed to help the problem.

Is it a power issue? Do some blu rays require more processing power and can't handle it? I know that doesn't make sense haha.
I ask because this seemed to happen more frequently while watching an action flick like Saving Private Ryan.

Any info on how to resolve the issue would greatly be appreciated.
Old 02-26-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: HDTV Turning Off And On

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I'm surprised there isn't a thread already about this, searching online it seems to be a common occurrence. My brand new Panasonic, while watching a blu ray, turns off and on (hasn't happened yet while playing a game or watching cable TV). Sometimes the picture will be gone for a few seconds and come back on while other times the picture will be black for upwards of 2 minutes. Still hear all the audio though, just no picture.

Does this have something to do with the HDMI cable? I made sure the thing was securely connected, but that hasn't seemed to help the problem.

Is it a power issue? Do some blu rays require more processing power and can't handle it? I know that doesn't make sense haha.
I ask because this seemed to happen more frequently while watching an action flick like Saving Private Ryan.

Any info on how to resolve the issue would greatly be appreciated.
Have you tried unseating and reseating the power cable? The connection at the TV can be finnicky, but also take a look at the outlet (and the connection of the surge strip at the wall outlet).

You could also try a different power cable.