DVD Talk
Weekend Box Office (2/24-2/26): America's "Triumph of the Will" Gases the Competition [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Weekend Box Office (2/24-2/26): America's "Triumph of the Will" Gases the Competition

Matthew Chmiel
02-24-12, 07:47 PM
Relativity Media and the US Government have a hit on their hands this weekend!

1. Act Of Valor (Relativity) NEW [3,039 Theaters]
Est Friday $10M-$12M, Est Weekend $28M-$34M

2. Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds (Lionsgate) NEW [2,132 Theaters]
Est Friday $6M-$7M, Est Weekend: $14M-$16M

3. Journey 2 (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,350 Theaters]
Est Friday $2.5-$3.0M, Est Weekend $11M-$12M

4. Safe House (Universal) Week 3 [3,052 Theaters]
Est Friday $3M-$3.5M, Est Weekend $10M-$11M

5. Wanderlust (Universal) NEW [2,002 Theaters]
Est Friday $2M-$3M, Est Weekend $6M-$7M

6. Gone (Summit) NEW [2,186 Theaters]
Est Friday $1M-$2M, Est Weekend $4M-$5M
OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

... and ouch for Tyler Perry. He must be wiping away his tears with $100 bills that he's not opening a film at number one this weekend.

bluetoast
02-24-12, 07:53 PM
Maybe Tyler Perry forgot to tell his audience to "make sure the ticket stub is correct" this time around.

Conspiracy??!? (http://www.cafemom.com/group/13812/forums/read/1292098/_WHY_DID_I_GET_THE_WRONG_TICKET_STUB_ONE_THEATER_TAKES_HATERATION_TO_THE_EXTREME)

islandclaws
02-24-12, 08:09 PM
You know it's rough when the bastion of Black cinema, Tyler Perry, can't even get a #1 opening during his month.

I have a feeling that Act of Valor might beat Battle: LA for most obvious recruitment video posing as a film.

Dean Kousoulas
02-24-12, 08:39 PM
Maybe Tyler Perry forgot to tell his audience to "make sure the ticket stub is correct" this time around.

Conspiracy??!? (http://www.cafemom.com/group/13812/forums/read/1292098/_WHY_DID_I_GET_THE_WRONG_TICKET_STUB_ONE_THEATER_TAKES_HATERATION_TO_THE_EXTREME)

Racism! Of course!

Deftones
02-24-12, 08:40 PM
A $45 million gamble that will be lucky to gross $4.5 million domestically? God bless Hollywood.

rotfl

Deftones
02-24-12, 08:44 PM
For a film that costs more than $15 million, I disagree with "talent" in the crew. Here, I'll point out the two biggest flaws right now:

1. The two directors have no proven track record with directing anything. Not a short film, music video, commercial campaign; nothing.

2. The writer has been credited by SAG on a draft of 300 (Snyder wrote the final draft which ended up on screen) and a direct-to-video film from fifteen years ago.

On-screen talent doesn't matter. Films like The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity and others have proven you can open a film and have it gross $100 million domestically on hype and premise alone. You know how much those films cost? Five-figures each and each film had a P&A budget of under $10 million.

As I discovered, Relativity is assisting with theatrical and home video distribution. The same studio which just shitcanned a chunk of its staff and can't open a film and/or release an actual film of quality (take your pick).

This film has FAILURE written all over it. I'd be surprised if it grosses more than $7-8 million its opening weekend. The only option it has of succeeding is if the film is rock solid and has amazing word of mouth.

:lol:

Ash Ketchum
02-24-12, 10:06 PM
Acts of Valor? Good Deeds? Y'think any moviegoers are confusing the two?

Artman
02-24-12, 11:38 PM
OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

What do you mean by that? As far as I know the film was picked up by a distributor like any other. Or perhaps you'd like to share you true feelings for our men and women in service?

PopcornTreeCt
02-24-12, 11:46 PM
Good job on the thread title. Gases the competition is kinda harsh though.

Why So Blu?
02-25-12, 12:26 AM
Stay classy, America.

TimeandTide
02-25-12, 03:42 AM
Usually a fan of the inventive and often funny thread titles, but this one crosses the line.

Charlie Goose
02-25-12, 03:49 AM
So, Act of Valor is a regular movie starring real Navy seals? I really thought it was a documentary.

crazychris88
02-25-12, 07:43 AM
I thought the thread title was sure to be "Gone are the Good Act's of Wanderlust".
Deadline is now saying that Act of Valor may do around $27 Million for the weekend meaning it was rather front loaded on Friday. So it appears this films audience is much like the Navy seals themselves: quick to pull the trigger ;)

Really surprised Wanderlust is bombing. I don't like Aniston but that looks like the only decent new release this week. Well at least I will be able to catch it at the dollar movies here in a few weeks.

Gone honestly would have provoked near equal levels of disdain from me that Act of Valor does but it looks so damn slight I cant even summon up any hate for it. While Act of Valor may seem like something that should go direct-to-DVD/Blu, GONE looks like something made for the damn lifetime channel .

ANd Good Deeds looked looked laughably bad like a cross between that N-Secure movie, The Room, and the pursuit of happyness. yeesh

SuckaMC
02-25-12, 11:07 AM
Some of the posters concerning Act of Valor make me sad for humanity. OP is one.

TheMovieman
02-25-12, 11:17 AM
Really surprised Wanderlust is bombing.

I'm not. The trailers didn't make it look anything more than "wait for it on home video" kind of thing. Not only were they not funny but I haven't a clue what it's about exactly.

Sondheim
02-25-12, 11:41 AM
Not really digging the Triumph of the Will reference. Yes, Act of Valor is pretty clearly American military propaganda - but propaganda is hardly exclusively a Nazi thing. Lots of American films made during World War II were clearly made to get people excited about joining the military (in spite of the fact that there was a draft, so if you were a healthy guy in the right age group it didn't really matter whether you were excited about it or not) and to think positively of the War and American values in general. Some of them were documentaries explicitly defending the American cause (various Frank Capra and John Ford films, a lot of Disney shorts,) while others were "entertainments" that drew parallels between historical or fictional "heroic ventures" and the contemporary conflict (Sgt. York, most of the war films being made that weren't about WW2.)

In other words, while it can be criticized for lacking subtlety and for blatantly pushing a certain message, propaganda isn't inherently evil nor is it always used for evil causes. In fact, some of the British propaganda films of WW2 - specifically ones made by Alberto Cavalcanti and Powell & Pressburger - are genuinely great films. I'm against America's current military ventures, but the military itself is obviously an essential thing and I don't think it's such a terrible thing for a movie to promote it (even if I have no interest in joining, and will thus probably never see the film.) Joining because it looked "cool" in a movie or game isn't a good reason - but there will always be people with bad reasons for joining the military just as there will always be people with good reasons for joining.

(I know, I'm probably taking the title a bit too seriously, but it does make a fairly offensive comparison.)

Supermallet
02-25-12, 12:02 PM
Would we prefer "America's Military Keeps Down Black Man"? Because I can change it to that.

Sondheim
02-25-12, 12:07 PM
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or anything. I say keep it as it is, and let people condemn or applaud the OP as they please.

Sondheim
02-25-12, 12:12 PM
On a truly unrelated note, it makes me incredibly happy that The Artist has made $30,000,000. It wasn't my favorite film of the year, but the fact that a film of that kind can actually get good distribution and make a decent amount of money in America in 2012 is rather heartening.

SuckaMC
02-25-12, 12:57 PM
(I know, I'm probably taking the title a bit too seriously, but it does make a fairly offensive comparison.)

You aren't. Just visit the Act of Valor thread to see some truly crazy reactions to the film.

fitprod
02-25-12, 01:10 PM
On a truly unrelated note, it makes me incredibly happy that The Artist has made $30,000,000. It wasn't my favorite film of the year, but the fact that a film of that kind can actually get good distribution and make a decent amount of money in America in 2012 is rather heartening.

The only question becomes how much of that 30 million was dumped back into rewards seasons? It's not like the Weinstein's try to buy Oscars... Oh wait...

fitprod

Daytripper
02-25-12, 02:01 PM
I'm not. The trailers didn't make it look anything more than "wait for it on home video" kind of thing. Not only were they not funny but I haven't a clue what it's about exactly.

I loved "Role Models", but I didn't laugh once during the trailer for "Wanderlust". It's also a horrible title. I still don't understand how Aniston has a career in movies. I don't dislike her as a person. I've seen her on countless talk shows and she seems like a very sweet person. But other than "The Good Girl" and "Horrible Bosses", she's the same in everything she does. With little or no range. And most of her films stink (the writing, directing, etc).

Matthew Chmiel
02-25-12, 02:01 PM
What do you mean by that? As far as I know the film was picked up by a distributor like any other. Or perhaps you'd like to share you true feelings for our men and women in service?
It's public knowledge that the government paid the directors to make a recruitment film for the Navy SEALs and when the directors changed their game plan to make it a "feature film with a story," the money the government funded wasn't retracted. Some of the budget was privately financed by investors and the other by our own government. So, yes, the film is that of propaganda (and a recruitment film).

If someone wanted to adapt Call of Duty: Modern Warfare into a feature film with a $200 million budget, I'd be there opening weekend. A low-budget feature that critics are thrashing left and right? No thanks.

... and as a Jew, I can make jokes about Hitler and concentration camps. But nobody else in this thread can... unless it's hilarious.

... and we don't even need to change the thread to "America's Military Keeps Down Black Man." We could change it to "America Keeps Down Black Man" to really end Black History Month on a high note. Maybe that's what they're doing in the south. Every ticket for Good Deeds ends up magically becoming a ticket for Act of Valor. ;)

Solid Snake
02-25-12, 02:11 PM
It's public knowledge that the government paid the directors to make a recruitment film for the Navy SEALs and when the directors changed their game plan to make it a "feature film with a story," the money the government funded wasn't retracted. Some of the budget was privately financed by investors and the other by our own government. So, yes, the film is that of propaganda (and a recruitment film).

If someone wanted to adapt Call of Duty: Modern Warfare into a feature film with a $200 million budget, I'd be there opening weekend. A low-budget feature that critics are thrashing left and right? No thanks.

... and as a Jew, I can make jokes about Hitler and concentration camps. But nobody else in this thread can... unless it's hilarious.

... and we don't even need to change the thread to "America's Military Keeps Down Black Man." We could change it to "America Keeps Down Black Man" to really end Black History Month on a high note. Maybe that's what they're doing in the south. Every ticket for Good Deeds ends up magically becoming a ticket for Act of Valor. ;)

id approve of this...

William Fuld
02-25-12, 02:39 PM
Would we prefer "America's Military Keeps Down Black Man"? Because I can change it to that.

Why haven't you banned crazychris88/chris_sc77 yet?

Supermallet
02-25-12, 02:48 PM
If he were indeed chris_sc77 then I'd be able to. But just because you suspect something doesn't make it so.

William Fuld
02-25-12, 02:55 PM
It couldn't be more obvious, but I'll drop it.

Solid Snake
02-25-12, 02:58 PM
I have a powerpoint to accompany my suspicions.

Hokeyboy
02-25-12, 03:25 PM
Why does anyone care if it's chrissc_77? I love it when we have batshit insane members here. I miss wm lopez and it's all YOUR fault. *points at YOU* **You don't think I'm talking about YOU specifically, but trust me it's YOU!** :mad:

Pol Pot-wannabe...

Solid Snake
02-25-12, 03:30 PM
wait...lopez was banned? I thought...somehow I was lucky to not cross him again. Did I somehow forget about this shit?

Supermallet
02-25-12, 03:39 PM
I have a powerpoint to accompany my suspicions.

I should have made you bust that bad boy out before bringing down the ban hammer. Oh well.

JumpCutz
02-25-12, 03:47 PM
:banana: No more crazy.

Solid Snake
02-25-12, 03:54 PM
I should have made you bust that bad boy out before bringing down the ban hammer. Oh well.

well wait what? what exactly prompted the banning...besides being chris_sc77 in disguise?

Supermallet
02-25-12, 03:58 PM
I had to have an admin do a little digging to find commonalities between the two accounts. Similar behavior can be an indicator, but isn't necessarily a smoking gun.

ANYWAY, back to ragging on the American military.

Groucho
02-25-12, 04:10 PM
So, Act of Valor is a regular movie starring real Navy seals? I really thought it was a documentary.I'm confused by this as well.

arminius
02-25-12, 05:59 PM
wm lopez was banned? That is just cruel, like kicking a puppy out of the house for peeing on the rug.

majorjoe23
02-25-12, 06:27 PM
I think wm lopez is just suspended.

Hokeyboy
02-25-12, 06:33 PM
^^ in red Jello.