Old 02-24-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Fringe -- "The End of All Things" -- 2/24/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Peter and the Fringe team take extraordinary measures in an attempt to stop life-threatening events in the all-new "The End of All Things" episode of FRINGE airing Friday, Feb. 24 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-414) (TV-14 L, V)

Episode 14 of 22

Extended Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LHr4lT97CUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ujJ8PYJlq-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FYI, this is the last new episode until March 23rd. We're in the home stretch.
Old 02-24-12, 09:02 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
Re: Fringe -- "The End of All Things" -- 2/24/12

Good ep.

It's becoming more apparent that...
Spoiler:
Peter might be being groomed to take November's place as an Observer.
I'm not sure why I think that, I just do.
Old 02-25-12, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Good ep.

It's becoming more apparent that...
Spoiler:
Peter might be being groomed to take November's place as an Observer.
I'm not sure why I think that, I just do.
Spoiler:

I must not remember an important plot point. Why November when the dying observer is September?
Old 02-25-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

September trying to fix timeline to save Peter reminds me of Kurtwood Smith trying to fix timeline to save his wife in Star Trek Voyager.
Old 02-25-12, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Spoiler:

I must not remember an important plot point. Why November when the dying observer is September?
Spoiler:
I meant September, I got my months screwed up.
Old 02-25-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not so sure about that. September seemed pretty clear that having a baby with the right Olivia was very important, but he didn't say why.

I did think his intro to September's mind was kinda funny..."Oh that? That's just the Big Bang. Anywaaaaaay..."

4 weeks...
Old 02-25-12, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Good episode tonight. Sucks about the 4 week wait, but at least we get 2 months of non-stop action.

Was really surprised the captured Nina turned out to be the impostor.

I guess the theory that this was possibly the Blue Universe was thrown out the window tonight by what September revealed tonight.

Now I'm curious to understand how Olivia's feelings and memories are being transferred to this Olivia.
Old 02-25-12, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Given that my meter's still solidly pegged in "fan" territory, I was a bit let down about what happened once Peter was in September's mind. He found out he had a baby in the old timeline with Bolivia (B), but the episode was surprisingly short on answers for an episode billed as an answer episode. I mean, at face value, to be in the mind of an Observer (!) and that's all you come away with? How many times did Peter ask a question and the Oberserver say, "That's not relevant," and then not follow up by volunteering any information that is relevant? And then September adds in a basic, "Look, I have a lot to tell you and little time to do it." I ended up saying (out loud), "What's stopping you?" My family laughed as they all shared the same sentiment. Septembers words described a sense of urgency, but his actions didn't match.

On the other hand, we did learn why September feels an obligation to "fix" the timeline. He's the one that screwed up Walter finding a cure to save Peter in the "A" Universe/timeline (original timeline/over here). So he tried to have "A" Universe Walter save "B" universe Peter, screwing things up even more.

The episode had other good elements as well. Olivia's special abilities haven't previously been touched on much (understandably) since they were revealed. It was interesting to see that with Peter around, not only could she make a bulb light, but the whole darned box, and overhead lights too.

Do you know what happens when a baddie gets struck by LIGHT-ning? The same thing that happens to everything else.

I wasn't really surprised by Olivia Nina being Imposter/Shapeshifter Nina, but I liked how Olivia was smart enough to figure it out.

Overall, I like where the show is going. I'll certainly miss it during the hiatus, but at least I know it's coming back. It'll be a much greater loss when we get to the finale.
Old 02-25-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
I wasn't really surprised by Olivia Nina being Imposter/Shapeshifter Nina, but I liked how Olivia was smart enough to figure it out.
Yeah -- saw that coming a mile away. But if faux-Nina (Fina?) is a shape-shifter, why is the real Nina still alive? Don't think she's a shape-shifter. And I agree with you that I hoped for more answers from this episode.

I think it's pretty clear that the Olivia in this timeline is going to die. Maybe she'll sacrifice herself to get Peter home to his Olivia? Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

The actor playing the bad guy is great. You want to hate him but he's so uber-cool in his uber-villainy. They split him in half last time -- can't wait to see how they kill him this time. LOL.
Old 02-25-12, 11:28 AM

I don't think that Nina is a shapeshifter either, we have to remember that there are more than one of folks in this show. There are two (or more) Ninas floating around.
Old 02-25-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I haven't watched this show for a long while....I'm so confused....
Old 02-25-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So what the heck made you decide to randomly watch last night? Fringe is pretty heavily serialized. If you haven't watched since say episode 2 of this season, jumping in randomly last night would have been a terrible place to get back into it.
Old 02-25-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

1. What's up with Monte Markham? He's somewhat well known for such a small role. I was half expecting him to turn out to be the main villian.
2. So, the observer September is(was) trying to create a future where a baby from Peter and Olivia is essential, yet not the original future he comes from. The other observers are trying to create a future where Peter dies as a child. Yet neither of these are the original timeline or future they come from. The original timeline/future, without any interference would involve Walternate discovering the cure for Peter's disease and our Walter never going to the other universe to save him and the two universes never interacting.
3. Why does the "machine/device" still exist in this universe? If Peter drowned as a kid then he never traveled to the future to get Walter to build it.

It appears Markham was also in the episode "Wallflower" about the invisible guy, U-Gene, killing people to steal their pigment. His character is Dr. Blake West. He must have appeared briefly at end when Olivia was gassed in her apt. and injected. His version from this universe may have bigger part in future eps.

Last edited by rw2516; 02-25-12 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Damn this was a good episode.

I thought it was obvious that the Nina that was working with Jones was the Nina from over there in the orange universe? Unless I missed where they said that Nina was dead?

I still say that we nor Peter will never see the Blue universe again. Simply heartbreaking seeing him pull away from Olivia at the end there.
Old 02-25-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

... just finished watching it, hell yeah a damn fine episode.

4 week wait
Old 02-26-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Originally Posted by DJariya
So what the heck made you decide to randomly watch last night? Fringe is pretty heavily serialized. If you haven't watched since say episode 2 of this season, jumping in randomly last night would have been a terrible place to get back into it.
This is why the ratings will never increase. What makes the show good also makes it too inaccessible for the average viewer.
Old 02-26-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bronkster
This is why the ratings will never increase. What makes the show good also makes it too inaccessible for the average viewer.
Exactly, the show will never get any new fans because the plots are too serialized and complex to jump in right now and it wouldn't make any sense to do so either. The 3M viewers who do watch week to week live are probably the harcore fans who have stuck with it. I'm also assuming since it airs on Friday, most people are too lazy to watch right away or have other things to do and would rather save 5-6 episodes and marathon them. So many factors play into why the ratings are so fucking low.
Old 02-26-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Exactly, the show will never get any new fans because the plots are too serialized and complex to jump in right now and it wouldn't make any sense to do so either. The 3M viewers who do watch week to week live are probably the harcore fans who have stuck with it. I'm also assuming since it airs on Friday, most people are too lazy to watch right away or have other things to do and would rather save 5-6 episodes and marathon them. So many factors play into why the ratings are so fucking low.
look at "Lost". That show was heavily serialized and it lasted six seasons!
Old 02-26-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
1. What's up with Monte Markham? He's somewhat well known for such a small role. I was half expecting him to turn out to be the main villian.
Glad I'm not the only geek who said "Hey, it's Monte Markham!"
Old 02-26-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I think Lost lost viewers every season but started out at a higher number then Fringe.
Old 02-26-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read ratings were up again. Perhaps people wanted to see the episode after all the commercials. Now if they would just stay watching.
Old 02-26-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I thought it looked like Monte Markham, but I figured was wrong, -I thought he was dead. Since they treated him as a backround character I just figured I was confusing him with someone else. I just looked him up on the IMDB and, yeah, he apparently showed up first in the episode "Wallflower". He's about 77.
Old 02-26-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Exactly, the show will never get any new fans
Not impossible it just takes effort. I watched the first 3 seasons on Blu and caught up for this season.

Originally Posted by mhg83
Uh yeah, apples & oranges. Lost got close to 20 million viewers the first season. Plenty of viewers to slowly erode over 6 years. Fringe, AFAIK has never come close to that number.
Old 02-26-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I couldn't recall his real name, even though I recognized him. I just went "Hey, it's Barney Miller - the Seven Million Dollar Man!".
Old 02-27-12, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess the theory that this was possibly the Blue Universe was thrown out the window tonight by what September revealed tonight.
You think so? I felt it pretty much confirmed it. The Observers are trying to undo the damage September inadvertently did to the timeline in 1985 and are desperately trying to prevent Henry from existing since he's apparently an incredibly dangerous anomaly sometime down the road. What's the point of the Observers dicking around in Orange if he still exists in Blue/Red? Why were Walter and Olivia having visions of Peter if Orange had been completely separate from Blue?

And Walter and Astrid's conversation about the palimpsest wasn't exactly subtle.
Clearly Blue was overwritten by Orange, and now things are bleeding through. The memory card was a pretty good metaphor for this as well, obviously.

Last edited by ultimaton; 02-27-12 at 03:27 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.