Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arthouse Cinemas in Las Vegas?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-23-12, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently, I had accepted a job promotion in Las Vegas, Nevada. I had been living in Newport Beach(too great of an opportunity to pass up). However, one thing that I have noticed, is the incredible lack of art house independent movie fare that I was so accustomed to enjoying living in Orange County, CA. If OC didn't have I was looking for, I would always drive south, spend the day at the beach, and head to Landmark in La Jolla or in Hillcrest, and I always find what I was looking for. Now? It's been very hard I tend to gravitate more towards to obscure foreign films, and I just can't seem to find those out here. Am I just not looking in the right place, or is this place just not conducive for that type of entertainment?
Old 02-23-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Arthouse Cinemas in Las Vegas?

We have no culture here. Sorry about that. Waaaah-waaah.

The theaters here in town that usually show independent fare:
Sometimes, Rave Motion Pictures Town Square 18 has shown some independent fare, but it's not as consistent as the four I mentioned above.

We do have places like Theatre 7 and the Sci-Fi Center, but you're better off just watching the film at your place depending on your setup.
Old 02-24-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vegas doesn't have ANY art house cinema? That's kind of surprising.
Old 02-24-12, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I have been to all of those, and without a doubt the Regal Village 18, was the one I found to be the best in all of Las Vegas for art house cinema, but even that one has only a few, which often times are playing at the most obscure hours, and are mixed in with your standard Adam Sandler, or Micheal Bay like movie.
I did have the opportunity of seeing Studio 7. I like what the guy is trying to do, but fold out chairs? Not to mention the "screen", is smaller than I have seen in theaters. Not my cup of tea, but I appreciate his effort.
I've been dying to see films like, "A Separation", "Chico and Rita", Academy Award nominated Animated shorts,They don't have any of these films, playing anywhere. Can someone please explain to me, with a population of around 2 million people, there is not one theater made for foreign/indie flicks? What exactly do people do for fun here, if you don't drink or smoke or gamble(like myself)

Add in the fact that I'm a vegetarian in this town, and it makes life even more difficult.

Vegetarian(sometimes Vegan)

hobbies: painting, going to museums, Jazz music, foreign/indie films, finding great vegetarian/vegan food, Art festivals, Comic Con and attending other "clean" expos, surfing, playing piano and guitar, writing poetry, Broadway shows, Opera, Ballet, Orchestra, bowling(NO smoke), miniature golfing, basketball, playing pool( NO SMOKE)

Someone said I would fit right in in San Francisco, based on what I like. I have only been to SF a few times, but it was when I was younger. Went to Manhattan in New York and Paris, France a few years ago, and both had so much to do, I felt like I needed a "pause" button for life.

On the bright side, since there isn't much in the foreign/indie field out here, I have spent a great amount of time checking out DVDs from the Great Courses at my local library(http://www.thegreatcourses.com). I just completed the DVD lecture series on Existentialism, and I'm now moving on to The African Experience: From "Lucy" to Mandela. It's free, and the lectures are absolutely fantastic. It certainly has helped me do well when we have Trivial Pursuit game night at our house.

Last edited by AvantGardner; 02-24-12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AvantGardner
^ I have been to all of those, and without a doubt the Regal Village 18, was the one I found to be the best in all of Las Vegas for art house cinema, but even that one has only a few, which often times are playing at the most obscure hours, and are mixed in with your standard Adam Sandler, or Micheal Bay like movie.

I did have the opportunity of seeing Studio 7. I like what the guy is trying to do, but fold out chairs? Not to mention the "screen", is smaller than I have seen in theaters. Not my cup of tea, but I appreciate his effort.

I've been dying to see films like, "A Separation", "Chico and Rita", Academy Award nominated Animated shorts,They don't have any of these films, playing anywhere. Can someone please explain to me, with a population of around 2 million people, there is not one theater made for foreign/indie flicks? What exactly do people do for fun here, if you don't drink or smoke or gamble(like myself)

Add in the fact that I'm a vegetarian in this town, and it makes life even more difficult.

Vegetarian(sometimes Vegan)

hobbies: painting, going to museums, Jazz music, foreign/indie films, finding great vegetarian/vegan food, Art festivals, Comic Con and attending other "clean" expos, surfing, playing piano and guitar, writing poetry, Broadway shows, Opera, Ballet, Orchestra, bowling(NO smoke), miniature golfing, basketball, playing pool( NO SMOKE)

Someone said I would fit right in in San Francisco, based on what I like. I have only been to SF a few times, but it was when I was younger. Went to Manhattan in New York and Paris, France a few years ago, and both had so much to do, I felt like I needed a "pause" button for life.

On the bright side, since there isn't much in the foreign/indie field out here, I have spent a great amount of time checking out DVDs from the Great Courses at my local library(http://www.thegreatcourses.com). I just completed the DVD lecture series on Existentialism, and I'm now moving on to The African Experience: From "Lucy" to Mandela. It's free, and the lectures are absolutely fantastic. It certainly has helped me do well when we have Trivial Pursuit game night at our house.
Vegas is a very "transient" culture... and that's a polite way of saying Vegas is full of worthless sacks of shit. Our education system sucks and our unemployment rates suck even more, but we continue to vote Republicans into power.

If films (foreign and independent) don't travel through Vegas, which is an often occurrence, I end up getting them from Netflix down the road.

I don't want to get off topic in this thread, but we share a lot of various interests alongside the fact that we're both vegetarian/vegan. Shoot me a PM and I'll be able to suggest various restauarants and places you may or may not enjoy.
Old 02-24-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did you copy and paste your Match.com personal here?
Old 02-24-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by AvantGardner
Someone said I would fit right in in San Francisco, based on what I like.
Based on your hobbies, I would agree. But San Francisco is very expensive so you might sacrifice some of your hobbies just to live there... depending on income, of course

But if you plan it right (and in advance), flights to San Francisco/L.A. are pretty cheap and frequent from Vegas. Catch some of those Southwest sales.
Old 02-24-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Why did you copy and paste your Match.com personal here?