DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Looking Better On Tube TV

Spottedfeather
02-22-12, 03:57 PM
I was watching a disc of JEM on my tube tv and noticed that it looked a lot better than it looked on my computer. The picture on the tube tv just looked "right." When I watched it on my computer, it seemed a lot sharper. Is this because the computer screen is HD and the tv isn't ? On the tv, the image quality just looks a lot more like I remember the show looking like when I was a kid.

X
02-22-12, 11:55 PM
Maybe it looked more like what you remember because it was on a tube tv like it was when you were a kid.

Spiky
02-24-12, 04:56 PM
Probably because the resolution matches. Your monitor has more lines, so the computer must upscale it, which never looks as good as the original. Also, CRT is a better tech than LCD in pic quality.

Cellar Door
02-27-12, 05:15 PM
I love my 65" Hitachi CRT-RPTV. I like its HD picture much better than I do most flat panels I've seen.

Mabuse
03-12-12, 06:24 PM
Is this Jem and the Holograms you're talking about? My wife has been showing the Hub repeats to my daughter. Hub looks like shit. It's a standard def channel on DirectV. Jem looks pretty awful on my 82" TV, but in the kitchen on my 20" TV it looks pretty damn good. Small screens hide a lot of sins.

Spottedfeather
03-12-12, 09:15 PM
Exactly. On my tube tv, it looks great. But it looks kind of washed out and just generally not as bright on my computer.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
03-13-12, 11:08 AM
Is this Jem and the Holograms you're talking about? My wife has been showing the Hub repeats to my daughter. Hub looks like shit. It's a standard def channel on DirectV. Jem looks pretty awful on my 82" TV, but in the kitchen on my 20" TV it looks pretty damn good. Small screens hide a lot of sins.

He said he was watching a disc, so it wouldn't be Hub.

This is why I go with plasma. It's a much similar to CRT than LCD screens.

orangerunner
03-14-12, 04:57 PM
Comparing CRT to LCD is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I recently bought a 46" LCD 1080p and picture is very sharp with Blu-ray but when I watch DVD on my Sony 36" CRT (32" anamorphic) it looks just as good.

Again, it's not really a fair comparison and is very subjective. I think I watch the LCD with a much more critical eye, looking for every little jagged edge, pixelation etc.