DVD Talk
Red 2 (2013? Dir: Parisot, Willis, Mirren) - News, Cast, Rumors [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Red 2 (2013? Dir: Parisot, Willis, Mirren) - News, Cast, Rumors

devilshalo
02-21-12, 07:53 PM
'Red 2' to be Directed by Dean Parisot
Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman are likely to return for the sequel to the hit 2010 comedy.
7:53 PM PST 2/17/2012 by Borys Kit

Dean Parisot is in final negotiations to direct the sequel to Summit's hit action movie Red.

Red saw Bruce Willis lead a cast that included Helen Mirren, John Malkovich and Morgan Freeman, among others, as over-the-hill special ops agents forced out of retirement.

The quartet is expected to return for the sequel, although no deals are signed and sealed.

Robert Schwentke directed the first movie, which hit theatres in the fall 2010 and grossed almost $200 million worldwide. The movie gave Summit another franchise on top of its Twilight movies and showed the still-strong viability of older actors such as Willis.

Erich and Jon Hoeber, who wrote the script for the first installment, penned the sequel.

Summit, which has been bought by Lionsgate, is eying a production start later in the year, most likely after Willis shoots Die Hard 5.

Parisot, who last directed 2005's Fun With Dick and Jane, beat out several other directors for the gig. The CAA-repped director is best known for helming 1999's action comedy Galaxy Quest.

Not sure how they bring Freeman back since I thought he died in the first.

I liked the first Red. I'd be up for more over-the-top Malkovich.

JumpCutz
02-21-12, 07:57 PM
Wow. I'm surprised they're making a sequel. The first one was just...meh, nothing special, a generic action-comedy.

Mike86
02-21-12, 08:10 PM
I'll probably see this. The first one wasn't anything amazing but I enjoyed it enough to watch another.

DonnachaOne
02-22-12, 02:27 AM
Wow. I'm surprised they're making a sequel. The first one was just...meh, nothing special, a generic action-comedy.

It made money, and Summit needs a franchise after Twilight's finished.

Giantrobo
02-22-12, 02:34 AM
I was just thinking how cool a sequel would be. I loved the 1st film.

RichC2
02-22-12, 08:03 AM
I really enjoyed the first movie, it was casual/cool and a lot of fun, love the cast. And while over-the-top in spots, it kept it somewhat grounded, as in it didn't go the Shoot 'Em Up route.

RocShemp
02-22-12, 08:08 AM
Really liked the first. Been looking forward to a sequel. I hope Karl Urban returns.

Groucho
02-22-12, 08:20 AM
The first one was fine, but I didn't realize anybody was clamoring for a sequel.

OldBoy
02-22-12, 02:53 PM
i loved the first way more than i ever thought i would, a hell of a lot of fun. very big wants for a sequel or prequel.

JumpCutz
02-22-12, 04:56 PM
It made money, and Summit needs a franchise after Twilight's finished.

So they're not just making a sequel, but are attempting to turn this into a franchise? :lol:

DonnachaOne
02-22-12, 05:13 PM
So they're not just making a sequel, but are attempting to turn this into a franchise? :lol:
That was the plan, for Red and The Three Musketeers, which Summit saw as a possible money-spinner just as Sherlock Holmes was for Warner. This Red sequel news isn't itself news - the only really new aspect is that Dean Parisot has stepped in to direct. Of course, there'll be no Musketeer sequel after its dreadful business, and Red's second sequel is less certain now that Lionsgate bought Summit. Lionsgate could do with a franchise of their own too, of course, now that Saw is over.

Dr Mabuse
02-22-12, 06:49 PM
I really had fun with this first one. That doesn't mean it's great film making, but it knew what kind of film it wanted to be and pulled it off well.

I expect the sequel to be terrible, but who knows.

DVD Josh
02-22-12, 07:56 PM
I wanted to like it more than I did. Loved the trailers but wasn't crazy about the movie. Just seemed like a more violent The Whole Nine Yards.

Groucho
02-22-12, 08:17 PM
I'd rather have the Musketeers sequel. :shrug:

Supermallet
02-22-12, 09:03 PM
I liked the first. I'm game for this.

Why So Blu?
02-22-12, 09:16 PM
I enjoyed the first film a lot.

TomOpus
02-22-12, 09:25 PM
As long as Helen is back, I'm there.

GuessWho
02-22-12, 10:14 PM
I look forward to Red 5: Standing By

My Other Self
02-22-12, 11:09 PM
Really enjoyed the first. One of my favorites of 2010. I'd welcome a sequel.

islandclaws
02-23-12, 11:07 AM
Count me in as another who didn't expect much out of the first, but found it to be extremely enjoyable with some solid action. As long as they can retain the spirit, I'd check this out.

mndtrp
02-23-12, 08:00 PM
I thought the first was a lot of fun, so I'm in for a second.

Time Warrior
02-23-12, 09:05 PM
I hope Ernest Borgnine is back - at the age of 95(!) he still has what it takes.

Solid Snake
02-23-12, 09:29 PM
Do you know he stays alive? ;)

islandclaws
05-10-12, 06:41 PM
From Collider:

While we recently learned that Galaxy Quest director Dean Parisot would be taking the helm of Red 2 (the sequel to the 2010 hit Red), we still didn’t know which original cast members would be returning for the follow-up. Well Summit has made one big casting announcement today, confirming that Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, and Mary-Louise Parker will be reprising their roles from the first film alongside newcomers Catherine Zeta-Jones and Byung-Hun Lee.

RocShemp
05-10-12, 08:25 PM
Shame that Morgan Freeman won't be returning (not that it was ever likely given the events of the first movie) and I'm disappointed that there's no mention of Karl Urban or Ernest Borgnine, but I'm happy about the additions of Lee Byung-Hun and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Time Warrior
05-11-12, 02:11 AM
No Ernest Borgnine = no sale for me.

RocShemp
05-24-12, 02:27 PM
Oh please let this happen! -pray-

Anthony Hopkins in Negotiations to Join 'Red 2' (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/anthony-hopkins-red-2-329254)

Anthony Hopkins is in negotiations to join the all-star cast of Red 2, Summit’s sequel to its hit 2010 action movie.

Dean Parisot is behind the camera this time around, with Bruce Willis leading a cast that included Helen Mirren and John Malkovich, among others, as over-the-hill special ops agents forced out of retirement.

If a deal makes, Hopkins will play a genius scientist who was locked up in an insane asylum.

Hopkins joins Catherine Zeta-Jones and Byun-Hun Lee as new members of the cast.

Jon and Erich Hober, who worked on the first movie, wrote the script. Lorenzo Di Bonaventura is producing.

Red 2 will once again pair Hopkins with Mirren, with whom he’s worked with numerous times. The duo are currently shooting Fox Searchlight’s Hitchcock in Los Angeles.

He is repped by UTA, Stone Meyer and UK’s Independent Talent Group.

Anthony Hopkins Up For ‘Red 2′ Villain; Can ‘Thor’ Sequel Dates Work?
(http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/anthony-hopkins-up-for-red-2-villain-can-thor-sequel-dates-work/)

Summit Entertainment wants Anthony Hopkins to join the cast of Red 2. And Hopkins wants to do it. The sticking point is whether or not he can make the dates work with Thor 2, as he’s already committed to reprising his role as Thor’s father Odin. Red 2 will be directed by Dean Parisot, with Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, and John Malkovich expected to reprise, and Catherine Zeta-Jones and Byung Hun-Li joining the cast. Hopkins would play Edward Bailey, a villain. He’s currently playing Alfred Hitchcock in Fox Searchlight‘s making-of-Psycho pic.

Solid Snake
05-24-12, 02:49 PM
oh shit...that'd be cool.

Mike86
05-24-12, 03:46 PM
I rewatched the first one recently and was surprised by how much more I enjoyed it. I think the first time I saw it I was sort of tired and not fully paying attention to it. The idea of a sequel sounds awesome to me. Adding Hopkins would be great as well.

Xander
05-30-12, 08:38 AM
I liked the first one a lot. I would definitely check out a sequel.

And regarding Morgan Freeman:

Helen Mirren specifically shot him in the chest in the first one, after the one character had said that if she had wanted to kill HIM, she would have shot him in the head. So it would be totally reasonable to bring back Freeman, IMO.

devilshalo
05-30-12, 08:51 AM
I liked the first one a lot. I would definitely check out a sequel.

And regarding Morgan Freeman:

Helen Mirren specifically shot him in the chest in the first one, after the one character had said that if she had wanted to kill HIM, she would have shot him in the head. So it would be totally reasonable to bring back Freeman, IMO.

I thought she didn't take the shot when he exited and one of the others did. Freeman's character knew he was going to die. And Brian Cox talked about Mirren not killing his character, not Freeman, due to the fact that they were lovers.

RocShemp
09-07-12, 05:20 PM
http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/63335.jpg

So is Brian Cox not back for this one? Cos his name is not on the poster. :(

Matthew Chmiel
09-07-12, 05:37 PM
So is Brian Cox not back for this one? Cos his name is not on the poster. :(
Brian Cox isn't a name to get people into seats, so, uh, why would he be on the poster?

... and according to IMDB, he isn't in it either. ;)

RocShemp
09-07-12, 05:50 PM
Brian Cox isn't a name to get people into seats, so, uh, why would he be on the poster?

... and according to IMDB, he isn't in it either. ;)

Well then what of Anthony Hopkins, the so-called villain of this movie? :p

Perkinsun Dzees
01-17-13, 10:04 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sCM3HhGUJsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why So Blu?
01-17-13, 10:06 PM
Looks good. Damn, Helen Mirren dressed to the nines while melting a dead body with acid in a bathtub is hot.

OldBoy
01-17-13, 10:18 PM
That looks so frakking good, I can't wait for another dose!

MasterofDVD
01-17-13, 10:40 PM
I've never enjoyed Catherine Zeta-Jones in ANY role but everything else about this looks pretty good.

RocShemp
01-18-13, 06:17 AM
I loved the first. This looks great as well (though I'm disappointed by the absence of Brian Cox). This'll be one of the few flicks I bother to watch at the theater. :up:

Mattflix
01-18-13, 08:08 AM
I'm in. The first one wasn't the greatest movie ever made, but it was a lot of fun.

Red is like The Expendables franchise, only instead of nostalgic aging 80's action heroes, it's casting more formal aging actors in comical action roles. They can keep adding old actors with each entry.

islandclaws
01-18-13, 10:04 AM
Looks good to me. I enjoyed the first one, this looks like more of the same fun. And Parker is probably the hottest MILF alive.

Tarantino
01-18-13, 10:27 AM
This looks really fun.

Solid Snake
01-18-13, 11:13 AM
Looks good to me. I enjoyed the first one, this looks like more of the same fun. And Parker is probably the hottest MILF alive.

....Monica Belluci beats her.

Julie Walker
01-19-13, 02:06 AM
I really had a blast with the first film, and this looks just as fun. I can't wait.! :)

dex14
04-26-13, 12:31 PM
<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://movies.yahoo.com/video/red-2-theatrical-trailer-020014330.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>

RichC2
04-26-13, 12:34 PM
So that's two movies in a row where Bruce Willis is a thing with Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Dragon Tattoo
04-26-13, 12:48 PM
Man, Bruce Willis actually looks old now. Ugh.

RocShemp
04-26-13, 12:49 PM
So that's two movies in a row where Bruce Willis is a thing with Catherine Zeta-Jones.

What was the other one?

dex14
04-26-13, 01:01 PM

What was the other one?

Lay The Favorite.... they aren't in a row.

Why So Blu?
04-26-13, 08:32 PM
I like 'em older sometimes, but I would so take a run at Helen Mirren. She's a sexy broad. I like how the trailer gives her the cool 360 car spin scene this time out. Mary Louise Parker is pretty funny in it, too.

RocShemp
04-26-13, 08:41 PM
Three gorgeous women and Helen Mirren is #1!

So much for the early claims that Anthony Hopkins was cast as the villain.

wearetheborg
04-27-13, 01:41 PM
Looks great!
I enjoyed the first one!!

N2DVD
07-15-13, 08:31 PM
Wife and I just got back from a sneak preview of RED 2. We liked the first one a lot, and this one is more of the same. It was very entertaining, and we laughed pretty much all the way through it. I think this opens soon, like maybe next week. Plot takes the cast to Paris, London, and Moscow. Everyone seems to be having a good time in this one.

RocShemp
07-15-13, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the mini-review, N2DVD.

Mike86
07-20-13, 11:41 AM
Saw this last night and liked it a lot. Bruce Willis seemed like he was having way more fun with this one and put in a way better effort than he did with A Good Day to Die Hard which he just seemed to phone in his performance. I think if you liked the first RED you'll like this one. Malkovich was great yet again and provided a lot laughs with his one liners and Mary Louise Parker was looking as hot as ever. Really the whole cast was great in it, Hopkins played a pretty good villain too.

Solid Snake
07-20-13, 01:34 PM
I don't know if it was known and it doesn't affect me but that last bit might need to be spoilered.

Mike86
07-20-13, 04:38 PM
I don't know if it was known and it doesn't affect me but that last bit might need to be spoilered.
It was revealed in an article on page two of this thread and not spoilerized so I thought it was fair game.