Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Need help regarding Best Buy + Manufacturer Coupon + Sale price

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I tried to use the $2 manufacturer coupon for "Shakespeare In Love" at Best Buy and was denied by the manager at the time since it was on sale. He stated the following line on the coupon was the reason for the rejection: "Cannot be combined with any other discount, coupon, or offer..."

Obviously most of the people who have tried to use the coupon in this situation haven't had any issues getting the additional discount so I posted the issue on the Best Buy customer service forums and this is the reply I got. Does anyone have a more solid argument against this other than saying the vast majority of people have been able to do it without any problem?

I already explained to the manager when I was trying to buy the item that they get the money back from the coupon from the manufactuer but he wouldn't budge on that DESPITE letting me use the $3 coupon on Babe (which was also on sale) after some arguing that it applies to all Universal 100th anniversary blu-rays, not just the 3 shown on the coupon itself.

"Hello jamesuva,

Sorry for the confusion regarding the use of a coupon on an already discounted DVD. I can see where the confusion might occur where the coupon states that it can't be combined with any other discount and since the DVD you selected was already discounted. We do accept manufacturer's coupons, but it appears that we won't get the funds back from the manufacturer if it's combined with a sale price. Or at least that's how it appears.

I can fully see where you are coming from and $2 is $2! I'd like more information regarding this specific purchase and will send you a private message outlining what I need in order to investigate this further.

To view your private message, please click on the tiny envelope located in the upper right hand corner of this screen. Once I hear back from you with more details, I'll be able to have all that I need in order to get this resolved.

Thank you,"

Last edited by Jamezuva; 02-20-12 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-20-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Need help regarding Best Buy + Manufacturer Coupon + Sale price

Sounds like BS. Of course they get their $2 no matter whether it was on sale or not. If sales are a conflict, then you'd only ever be able to use the coupon when they sell it for list price. Otherwise it's always on sale.
Old 02-20-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Bu...st/td-p/155940

As long as a coupon has the manufacturer’s coupon label, a scannable barcode, and the manufacturer’s address listed on it, then our stores should be accepting the coupon. Unless the coupon specifically states that it must be used on regular priced merchandise, it should not be refused for an item being on sale.
Old 02-20-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bullshit! They take those Disney coupons don't they?

Write a letter to the manager. They might try to make things right. I also just googled "best buy coupon policy and here is a forum response from one of their own.

Hi kellytw6,

I apologize for the delay in my response to your coupon question. I was disappointed to read that you were denied using a coupon towards the purchase of Megamind based on the movie being on sale.

If the coupon you had was a valid manufacturer’s coupon, including the manufacturer’s coupon label, the manufacturer’s address and a scannable barcode, then the store should have accepted it. Unfortunately, we do not have anything publicly written regarding our coupon policy, however this is written for the store to access in our systems.

I would like to discuss this further with you to gather some additional details, and I am sending you a private message to begin that discussion. To check your private messages, first verify you are logged into our forum, and then click the envelope icon in the upper right corner of this page.
Old 02-20-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow.. After reading some of their forums it's mind boggling how spastic their policies are. It's almost by store..

and I just read that they have a 14 day return policy?? Wow, I didn't know that and now I know I will never buy a piece of electronics from them ever. Would never be worth the hassle.
Old 02-20-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

BB has a 30 day return policy.
Old 02-20-12, 08:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

They have a 14 day return policy on computers, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, iPads, tablets and radar detectors. All other items are 30 days.
Old 02-20-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I have to say I love the line about not having a "publicly written" policy ... in other words, we have policies, but customers are not allowed to know what they are or how we apply them. Did it ever occur to a BB exec that this may be a huge part of their problems?
Old 02-21-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
wow.. After reading some of their forums it's mind boggling how spastic their policies are. It's almost by store..
Not only does it vary by store, but it probably depends on which clerk and manager you're dealing with.
Old 02-21-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I posted a reply in the thread I created at the BB forums:

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Bu.../467795#M66167

He sent me a PM prior to my latest replies offering a $5 GC but I explained to him I'd be more satisfied if they came to some decision on a company-wide basis and have all their employees follow it rather than having the customers rely on luck to get a coupon applied.
Thanks for the replies.