DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Blockbuster 5 for $20 Blu-Ray Used

Steve
02-19-12, 07:40 PM
(if this has already been mentioned in a post elsewhere, then please delete.)

I haven't been to Blockbuster in a long time.

I was literally next store to one of the few left in a commuting range, so I went in to see what was the latest.

They had a 5 for $20 sale. better than the previous 5 for $25 they had for years.

What really threw me was they included Blu-ray PPV (?) in this sale.

Even more surprising, was they had an entire WALL of blu-ray PPV. the vast majority of these made the $9.99 cutoff to be included in the 5/$20 sale!

To make matters more interesting, there were quite a few situations where a title was $14.99 in DVD (thus only eligible for the 3/$20 sale), while the Blu-Ray counterpart was $9.99 (thus making it eligible for the 5/$20 sale). For me, anyhow, this was the first time I saw so many Blu-rays cheaper than DVDs.

This turned out to be $4 a Blu-ray, which I thought was pretty wild.

Since I don't have a Blu-ray player yet (all I have is a 13" TV and a lap top, so waiting until I get a bigger TV), I actually ended up not getting any DVDs.
Seemed pointless to spend the same (or even more) for a DVD than a Blu-ray. Even though I don't have a Blu-ray player yet, I know I will.

So came out empty handed.

I was a little tempted to 'stock up' until I get a BR player, but thought better against it.

Anyhow, if you have BBV near you, you might want to check out whenever they have a sale. I almost got the impression that the store was trying to get rid of all their DVDs and Blu-rays and focus only on games. The rental section for DVD was sparse, and the Blu-Ray rental section seemed actually smaller than the used one for sale!

interesting.

bigjim25
02-19-12, 07:57 PM
The other thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/590758-blockbuster-5-20-sale-previously-viewed.html?highlight=blockbuster). Alot of stores are closing and have BR down to $1.99 each :D I'll buy about any bluray for $2.

lewisb73
02-19-12, 09:27 PM
wow... guess someone doesnt spend a lot of time on the boards...

Steve
02-20-12, 06:09 PM
wow... guess someone doesnt spend a lot of time on the boards...

Yes, you are right. Been working on my unwatched pile and haven't had a lot for that. So really haven't gotten anything new in a long time.

Guess this is old news to most folks.. just thought I'd share in case it wasn't posted before..

: )

Living Deadpan
02-28-12, 11:23 AM
Yes, you are right. Been working on my unwatched pile and haven't had a lot for that. So really haven't gotten anything new in a long time.

Guess this is old news to most folks.. just thought I'd share in case it wasn't posted before..

: )

Still, at least it's newer than the Hollywood Video & Borders closeouts. ;)