Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Empire of the Sun BD CONFIRMED!

Hal
02-17-12, 01:01 PM
yeah!

2 discs - July - digibook (http://www.mubis.es/noticias/fecha-de-salida-del-blu-ray-de-el-imperio-del-sol)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

trespoochies
02-17-12, 01:04 PM
Ah, muy bien! Wonder if it'll actually come to the US. And Munich.

Superdaddy
02-17-12, 04:13 PM
Good to hear. This is still underappreciated I feel. Saw it in the theatre upon release and have the DVD. This is turning out to be a watershed year for Spielberg films on BD.

And yes, I would like to see Munich come out, which IMO is one of the absolute best films he has made.

Hal
02-17-12, 04:35 PM
Ah, muy bien! Wonder if it'll actually come to the US. And Munich.

they're talking about US release...

Sondheim
02-17-12, 06:11 PM
It's close to being my favorite Spielberg, and I'd definitely have to agree that it's generally underappreciated. So yay for a high-quality hopefully American Blu-ray release!

Solid Snake
02-17-12, 07:08 PM
Jesus titty fucking christ yes. Also...Warner at War on DVD? Never saw it. Though I alway wanted to. No features for the film itself though? Just the film on the BD? Hrmmmm. Alas...

Guru Askew
02-17-12, 07:29 PM
Jesus titty fucking christ yes. Also...Warner at War on DVD? Never saw it. Though I alway wanted to. No features for the film itself though? Just the film on the BD? Hrmmmm. Alas...

Warner is pretty good about retaining the DVD extras. "Empire of the Sun" has a vintage documentary on the making of the film on the disc. It's not bad if I remember correctly, there are parts that are EPK-ish but it's decent. It's more than we're ever likely to see from some of Spielberg's lesser films (of which "EotS" admittedly belongs in the eyes of many, though undeservedly-so) which will probably be forever bare-bones in the Spielberg video canon.

Speaking of that, 2012 is going to be a big year for Spielberg on Blu:

Confirmed for 2012:
Jaws
ET
War Horse
Tintin
Empire of the Sun

Rumored/tentative:
Schindler's List
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

So Warner and Sony have now given us all their Spielberg so it falls on Universal and Paramount to raid the vaults and complete the Spielberg filmography on Blu:

Universal:
Duel (hopefully including the American TV cut in 1.33:1 and the European theatrical cut in 1.85:1)
Sugarland Express (bare-bones on DVD)
1941 (probably the most in need of a Blu upgrade, hopefully with the theatrical cut included)
Always (like 1941 it wasn't even anamorphic on DVD, also bare-bones)
Munich

Paramount:
Amistad
Catch Me If You Can
The Terminal

That's 8 left, 9 if you count the inevitable 2013 release of "Lincoln". If 2013 is as good for Spielberg on Blu as 2012 is we could have all his movies.

DonnachaOne
02-17-12, 08:12 PM
Excellent. This film has a lot f sentimental value for me, so I'm very happy to see a BD release. I shall definitely hook it up to one of the cinema projectors at work!

Fok
02-20-12, 12:07 PM
About time!

Hal
03-05-12, 06:26 AM
digibook artwork pic (http://www.mubis.es/noticias/imagen-del-digibook-de-el-imperio-del-sol-blu-ray)

really nice

Superdaddy
03-05-12, 07:24 PM
Has the "Warner at War" docu been available before, perhaps as part of a DVD boxed set or something? It sounds vaguely familiar, but I've never seen it...

slop101
06-13-12, 10:53 PM
(If this is supposedly coming out in July) why is there no date for this yet, and why does dvdTalk have the release as next week?

Superdaddy
06-14-12, 07:00 AM
(If this is supposedly coming out in July) why is there no date for this yet, and why does dvdTalk have the release as next week?

Interesting...I believe it was announced for June 19 originally. But looking at amazon now, the release date no longer appears. Perhaps it has been delayed.

EDIT: Here's a link to the blu-ray.com news item that announced this as coming June 19 (dated March 12, 2012):

LINK (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8349)

wd40cloud
06-14-12, 08:55 AM
Per The Digital Bits:
Please note that Warner has additionally delayed its forthcoming Empire of the Sun Blu-ray from the originally-announced 6/19 street date until later in 2012. We'll update you as soon as the new street date is official.

http://thedigitalbits.com/#061212

bunkaroo
06-14-12, 01:45 PM
As long as it's still coming. Perhaps it's being held to come out the same day as the Dark Knight Rises Blu-ray. Of course now it'll miss its original shared release date with Newsies!

RocShemp
06-14-12, 01:53 PM
^ It's being delayed to convert it to 3D.

And add scenes of Channing Tatum. ;)

Fok
06-15-12, 01:11 PM
Sad about the delay. Looks like a good year for Blu-ray releases.

Superdaddy
09-11-12, 12:41 PM
I placed a pre-order for the digibook of this back in April when it appeared in my amazon.com Gold Box picks. Of course, it was then delayed. I never cancelled the pre-order.

I just got an email from them indicating it is expected to be available next Tuesday, 9/18. Oddly, as of right now it still shows as unavailable to order on amazon's site.

I haven't seen any publicity of the new date at all.

I can't rule out that it's genuine since we get other Spielberg product (Indiana Jones) that day, but a quick look at a few other sites isn't picking up further confirmation.

Anyone hear anything official, or is this likely an amazon screw-up?

bunkaroo
09-11-12, 02:20 PM
There was a small blurb on everyone's favorite news site about it possibly being out the 25th and that they're working to confirm it. So there is some other chatter out there.

slop101
09-13-12, 10:24 AM
Amazon just canceled my pre-order due to it's "unavailability". Now what?

Solid Snake
09-13-12, 04:27 PM
You email them?

slop101
09-13-12, 05:13 PM
What I meant was that if they canceled the order, it's not due in any time soon, if at all. Right?

Superdaddy
09-13-12, 08:22 PM
My order's still hanging in there. Let's see how long that lasts.

Superdaddy
09-21-12, 11:24 AM
Yet another updated release date on amazon: November 13.

Around and around we go.