PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : DEEP DISCOUNT Blu-ray B1G1 - President's Day sale

That'sAllFolks
02-16-12, 03:58 PM
dsdd

bse
02-16-12, 04:48 PM
How is $33.37 a "great deal" for the Third Man?

Jaymole
02-16-12, 04:55 PM

He means it's a deal if you buy another item at the same price....then it would be like getting it for half that price.

the key is to find another item that you want at around that price....that may be tough.

laidbacklarkin
02-16-12, 05:14 PM
you can have Kill Bill 1 and 2 at Best Buy right now for $12...what a super offer, DD !!!

rexinnih
02-16-12, 05:40 PM

You do what I did. Order the Third Man and Delicatessan, two titles I've been waiting for a decent price and get both for $33.37 (no tax and free shipping make it even better).

Jaymole
02-16-12, 05:49 PM
You do what I did. Order the Third Man and Delicatessan, two titles I've been waiting for a decent price and get both for $33.37 (no tax and free shipping make it even better).

I have the criterion Blu-ray of the Third Man...but i might pair up Delicatessan with The Ladykillers.

movieprince
02-16-12, 07:13 PM
I'm getting Apocalypse Now and No Country For Old Men for 35 bucks. I don't think these can get cheaper than this.

RoadToPerdition
02-16-12, 07:41 PM
There are some okay deals here, but nothing to go crazy about.

jondog21
02-16-12, 08:26 PM
For those who want to expand their 3D collection, My Bloody Valentine 3D and Saw 3D for $33.77.

Josh-da-man
02-16-12, 11:38 PM
Damn... really wish there was something I could match up with that Scream 3 movie set.

I would do the Apocalypse Now 3-disc set and get both for $35.33, but I already have it. :(

JoN8282
02-17-12, 02:24 AM
dissapointing....

dmkb
02-17-12, 03:38 AM
I wish the sale applied to all titles - been trying to find the cheapest price for All Quiet on the Western Front.

riotinmyskull
02-17-12, 05:02 AM
your best bet is to sort by price low to high and pick the first 2 that you want...for example AMELIE and JACOB'S LADDER for $14.56 - not a bad deal. i suppose if you could find 4 then you could get up to the free shipping mark.

Jaymole
02-17-12, 06:47 AM
There are some good deals to be had

I matched up Secretary and Bad Lieutenant for $12.60

People Vs. Larry Flynt and Basket Case for $14.78

CapRockBrewingCo.
02-17-12, 08:15 AM
I have the criterion Blu-ray of the Third Man...but i might pair up Delicatessan with The Ladykillers.

Same here - the exact order I placed.

$33 shipped for two classic StudioCanal titles is pretty darn good.

dullboy
02-17-12, 09:13 AM
There are some good deals to be had

I matched up Secretary and Bad Lieutenant for $12.60

People Vs. Larry Flynt and Basket Case for $14.78
But, how did this all add up in your basket? I tried to order something similar: two titles around $12.50 and two titles around $14.75. Instead of adding $14.75 and $12.50, it adds $14.75 and $14.75. If you make separate orders, it will work correctly, but then you have to pay shipping because the price is under $15. Screw this.

DVD Polizei
02-17-12, 09:44 AM
Yep. You're setup to pay more if you buy more on one order. After two items, the formula is not so nice.

walletboyniac
02-17-12, 10:09 AM
Chillerama -$17.95 <-- Not bad for horror fans wanting to blind buy. I haven't seen it myself though.

I was terribly disappointed in this. Got it the day it came out. Wadzilla was entertaining, but that's about it.

Jaymole
02-17-12, 10:15 AM
But, how did this all add up in your basket? I tried to order something similar: two titles around $12.50 and two titles around $14.75. Instead of adding $14.75 and $12.50, it adds $14.75 and $14.75. If you make separate orders, it will work correctly, but then you have to pay shipping because the price is under $15. Screw this.

I had to place separate orders, but I added other items I wanted in order to get free shipping.

Kedrix
02-17-12, 11:58 AM
Vamp
Item #: IMA174605 $0.00 1 FREE

Jeff Dunham: Arguing with Myself [WS] [Blu-ray]
Item #: IMA005173 $15.20 1 $15.20

Dead Heat
Item #: IMA174595 $0.00 1 FREE

Harry Brown
Item #: COL035759 $17.18 1 $17.18

Total = $32.38 (8 bucks a blu, I'm good with that :))

No real way to do separate orders since that's all I wanted and Dead Heat and Vamp were just under $15 (and they were all so close together).

kenbenobi
02-17-12, 02:12 PM
I had a large cart, but I whittled it down to 4 cheap titles:
Amelie
Finding Neverland
Smart People (despite the bad reviews)
Memento
For an average of $6.29 each (before 2.5% CB), I'm pleased, especially after not finding Memento at BB during the Upgrade & Save promo.

Jaymole
02-17-12, 02:55 PM
I had a large cart, but I whittled it down to 4 cheap titles:
Amelie
Finding Neverland
Smart People (despite the bad reviews)
Memento
For an average of $6.29 each (before 2.5% CB), I'm pleased, especially after not finding Memento at BB during the Upgrade & Save promo.

I was interested in Memento but wasnt sure if that is the second or first release.

kenbenobi
02-17-12, 03:18 PM
I was interested in Memento but wasnt sure if that is the second or first release.
I checked the UPC code they have listed, and assuming they list the correct UPC for the product they have, it is the 10th anniversary release. The MSRP listed also is correct for that release. If I receive the other one, I will call and complain.

Bleeding Blue
02-17-12, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I've been looking for these two at a decent price for a while now.

I just placed my order. According to the web site they are both out of stock but are expected to ship within 5-10 days.

This is my first order with Deep Discount. Does anyone have anything either positive or negative to say about them?

clckworang
02-17-12, 04:48 PM
This is my first order with Deep Discount. Does anyone have anything either positive or negative to say about them?

Oh, no. Here we go ...

RoadToPerdition
02-17-12, 04:53 PM
Oh, no. Here we go ...

:lol:

Kedrix
02-17-12, 04:54 PM
Oh, no. Here we go ...

Yeah, no doubt. This is my first DD order in probably a year. They are supposed to be under better distribution now (then a year or so ago), so I don't anticipate any problems. As such, I still only go for the big sales (20% isn't usually enough for me but B1G1 is) though.

DVD Guy ATL
02-17-12, 06:13 PM
Amelie, Cinema Paradiso, The Queen, and Chicago for $25.78 total. Not bad.

stroszeck
02-17-12, 11:21 PM
Is anyone else having problems adding stuff to their carts? I swear i always have issues with Deep discount's shopping cart...its almost like they don't want my money. I give up!

NoirFan
02-18-12, 08:56 AM
No real way to do separate orders since that's all I wanted and Dead Heat and Vamp were just under $15 (and they were all so close together).

I haven't seen a direct comparison, but I'm guessing that the region-free Arrow disc of Vamp is superior, plus the disc is packed with extras.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
02-18-12, 09:59 AM

Takes awhile for orders to leave the warehouse and that's not during a sale but this is random and sometimes they get it out fast.

They also list things in stock that they're out of stock on and know they won't get back in stock. As an example, I ordered 27 DVDs last night. At the same time I got my order confirmation email, I get a second email saying " Unfortunately, the item(s) listed below have been discontinued by the manufacturer and are no longer available for shipment or backorder at this time".

What items are these? I don't know because nothing was listed. In my order confirmation, they only had 3 DVDs. I guess I have to assume the other 24 are out of stock yet they were all listed at being in-stock?

I remember defending them earlier this month but that seems to be from the fact I only ordered from them sporadically. Right now I have 8 orders since Feb 7th. Only 2 have shipped and I haven't received either of them yet.

They were a few dollars cheaper on the things compared to other places but I might as well order them elsewhere since who knows what the hell's going on.

Sales like these usually don't cause the problems I'm running into but it still happens from time to time. I did find 1 blu-ray I wanted but couldn't really find another one. Amazon had what I wanted a lot cheaper and it wasn't worth it in this case to stick with DD for my dumb movie.

Kedrix
02-18-12, 10:37 AM
I haven't seen a direct comparison, but I'm guessing that the region-free Arrow disc of Vamp is superior, plus the disc is packed with extras.

:(, well thanks for letting me now, I do appreciate it. However, I am about 98% sure I have never seen the movie and took a chance on the ole blind buy. So, at $8...if it don't work out...or if I like it a ton, I should be able to unload it for about the same :).

johnbook
02-18-12, 06:45 PM
dissapointing....

If what you mean by disappointing is cuz of title selection i agree with you, maybe 10 or a few more i would even consider owning, problem is i already own them, so no bargains for me, i to wish they would include all titles, would love to have gotten all Texas Chainsaw Massacre's that are on Blu.

Kedrix
02-19-12, 08:15 AM
Got a shipping notice around midnight, that's probably the quickest turnaround for shipping I've ever had with one of their B1G1 sales.

Pizza
02-19-12, 09:02 AM
I remember defending them earlier this month but that seems to be from the fact I only ordered from them sporadically. Right now I have 8 orders since Feb 7th. Only 2 have shipped and I haven't received either of them yet.

That's not good. I've had some good luck with them for awhile now but 2 out of 8 is bad. I'm not usually in a hurry to receive my orders but I wouldn't be happy with that many orders hanging although, now that I think about it that's only 2 weeks.

DVD Guy ATL
02-19-12, 10:06 AM
Got a message saying two of the four titles I ordered have been shipped, though I was charged the full amount. They had better be shipping the other two sometime soon!

kenbenobi
02-19-12, 10:16 AM
Got a message saying two of the four titles I ordered have been shipped, though I was charged the full amount. They had better be shipping the other two sometime soon!
They probably shipped the two you paid for, and not the two you got free...

I just got an email that they have added NEW titles to this sale, so now I gotta go look through the lists again...

dhmac
02-19-12, 10:33 AM
I having a tough time pairing up 2 comparable titles I don't already have that are in the same price range.

And, of the very few music titles, why the hell are there multiple Motley Crue titles in this list? :hscratch:

walletboyniac
02-20-12, 06:12 AM
I was considering ordering 4:

Amelie 12.53
Secretary 12.58
Open Water 1/2 12.58
The Thaw 13.20

3 are listed as out of stock. They say "ships in 5-10 days." The old DD was awful on out of stock stuff.

In the last year or so, they've sent me two $10 off coupons, and the orders were received promptly. I was quite shocked. Have they really turned things around?

edit: Now all 4 are OoS. Never mind, this can't be good news!

rexinnih
02-20-12, 02:12 PM
Got my shipping notice for my two discs. Fastest turnaround ever on an order from DDDVD

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
02-20-12, 02:46 PM
That's not good. I've had some good luck with them for awhile now but 2 out of 8 is bad. I'm not usually in a hurry to receive my orders but I wouldn't be happy with that many orders hanging although, now that I think about it that's only 2 weeks.

True. I do think 2 weeks more than enough time to have an order shipped instead of sitting there, especially when they claim the stuff is in stock when I order.

I did a large order Saturday night of 27 movies. Almost immediately I get an email claiming the following titles aren't in stock and they don't expect to get more. Problem was, they didn't list anything.

They did respond to my email pretty quick, since I wanted to know what they were talking about. All but 3 movies were in stock.

I didn't have much hope for my other orders, so I paid a couple dollars more from amazon on Sunday and many of them have been marked as shipped. I'd rather just not gamble on if DD decides to do my orders or cancel them a month later. I guess they just hate me.

DVD Polizei
02-21-12, 10:22 PM
Some of the problems I've experienced were probably due to ordering 24hrs after a sale has been going on. If I can't think of any titles within that period of time on DeepDiscount, I just throw in the towel most of the time. Of course, there's those random "price mistakes" which I gamble with like everyone else.

dhmac
02-25-12, 12:24 PM
I ended up with a 4 title order of titles roughly in the $12 to $13 range ( NEAR DARK, THE GREAT RAID, EVIL DEAD 2, PUNISHER-WAR ZONE for $25.84 total) and received my order on Thursday.

Wow, that was the quickest turnaround time I've ever had for DD!

joe_b
02-25-12, 08:59 PM
Don't Deep Discount and DVD Planet ship from the same distribution center? My one order from this sale shipped seven days ago, but I'm still waiting for it. My order from the DVD Planet sale shipped five days ago and I already received it on Thursday.