Reload this Page >

DVDs Wholesale???

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DVDs Wholesale???

Old 02-16-12, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDs Wholesale???

Hi,

Does anyone knows from where I can buy latest dvds as wholesale? I have a shop that's why I am asking. I always wondering from where companies such as Amazon and Play buy the dvds!!!!

Thanks
F
Old 02-16-12, 09:17 AM

Re: DVDs Wholesale

Originally Posted by foxy291
Hi,

Does anyone knows from where I can buy latest dvds as wholesale? I have a shop that's why I am asking. I always wondering from where companies such as Amazon and Play buy the dvds!!!!

Thanks
F
They buy directly through the studios... If you're an independent shop, your stuck with Ingram or whoever is left.

fitprod
Old 02-16-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

Thanks
F
Amazon also has tons of cash to buy tons of product, so they can get the discounts you can't. If you're Wal-Mart, you even get to set your own price.

Also, every wholesale company I ever run across online always has higher prices than you could find at someplace like amazon, if you search the marketplace for new items. Then they also sell "lots" of titles, giving samples of ones you could get but you're going to get things that aren't worth what you could buy them for new.

Think you can buy a lot just to see if it's any good and return it if it's not? You can but they're going to have a restocking fee that won't make it worth it.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 02-16-12 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-16-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, how foxy are you?
Old 02-16-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Your first name wouldn't be Demetrios, would it?
Old 02-16-12, 06:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks
F
I owned a DVD store from 2004-2007. I was better off buying most of my stuff from Amazon, Walmart, Circuit City, Target, etc. I was paying $18.89 for New Releases. They used a tiered system that was A-F, we had a tier "B" account, "A" being the best pricing structure. It's not worth it to even go through a wholesaler. Just use a search engine to look for the best price on the internet and purchase it that way. I can guarantee you that 80% of the time you will get a much better price than going through a big distributor.

It's possible that things have change as the market has shifted, but that was my experience at the time.
Old 02-16-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Your first name wouldn't be Demetrios, would it?
I LOLed.
Old 02-17-12, 12:41 PM

Re: DVDs Wholesale???

Do you have a online shop or B&M?
Old 02-17-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I dabble in selling DVDs & BDs here and there online. I make enough $ to cover my own habit.

I have to say, I've noticed it's become considerably more difficult to make a profit over the past year, due to falling prices overall, fewer great sales at Columbia House, and more savvy shoppers in the marketplace.

Add to this, the increase in the postal rate without a corresponding hike on the marketplace websites, and it's become more of a hassle than it's worth.
Old 02-17-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TonsOfMovies
Do you have a online shop or B&M?
If it's a B&M, he might as well close up shop now to save him the headache.
Old 02-17-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

The largest wholesaler of current product for small businesses in the USA that I am aware of is Super D (formerly known as Phantom). They are the wholesale arm of a large conglomerate who owns Deep Discount, Import Cd's, Collector's Choice & several others.

They are not cheap; to compete with the largest Amazon & ebay sellers you would have to accept a very low profit margin.

http://www.sdcd.com/

They will want to verify your business information including EIN before they will sell to you.
Old 02-19-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

typical post from someone who joins a forum for one or two posts wanting something, then splits

If he thinks he is going to be getting the latest dvds for 4 or 5 bucks, he is mistaken...
Old 02-19-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lewisb73
typical post from someone who joins a forum for one or two posts wanting something, then splits

if he thinks he is going to be getting the latest dvds for 4 or 5 bucks, he is mistaken...
lol!
Old 02-19-12, 10:56 PM

Making money off from buying media products from local stores and reselling online is very hard to do these days. Back when I started selling on eBay I use to be able to presell CDs and then ship them out on the release date. I would either buy them from local stores or order them from Amazon. Those days are long gone but their is still money to be made in selling media products. It is an industry though I would not suggest any one to just now start investing in it. I do believe it has reached its peak. It is getting harder and harder for me to obtain good merchandise that I can buy cheap enough and resell for a decent profit. Hopefully with the shut down of megaupload and a few other sites it will persuade people to buy more media products.
Old 02-20-12, 02:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Super D 'wholesales' Blue Underground blu-rays for $17.69 and Criterions for $28.28. No wonder indie stores can't compete with Big-Box or online mega-giants like Amazon. --Peter
Old 02-20-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, one of the big problems with Super D is that their wholesale customers often get higher pricing than they offer on ebay & Amazon as a retailer.

However, since the op asked for new releases his/her options are VERY limited.
Old 02-20-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty much have to shop around for new releases to find the best deals during release week. Even if there was some wink wink handshake action going on that gets you a better deal, we wouldn't share it with some new guy on the forum. Try spending a few years here, racking up a high post count. Even then it would be a "if we want you, we'll find you" type of deal and asking to join would set you back years.
Old 02-20-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Seriously? 17 posts with (mostly) serious answers and I have to be the one to call bullshit? You guys are falling asleep at the wheel.
Old 02-20-12, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Seriously? 17 posts with (mostly) serious answers and I have to be the one to call bullshit? You guys are falling asleep at the wheel.
I thought the same thing because I was doing the same thing a few years ago when I got into the business. I was posting in forums trying to get any information I could. No one gave her any real answers and to be honest I doubt any one would. Real wholesalers for small sellers do not exist. Most people selling on eBay know a few small companies that have connections with someone else who gets the merchandise. Why would any one in the business share that source. As far as new releases go their is no wholesaler. Amazon and Wal-Mart are buying direct from studio and after a few months you may see some titles recently released on studio wholesale lists but it is very rare and if it is on the list more than likely the movie has no value because the market is flooded.
Old 02-21-12, 04:18 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to keep in mind,is that when ordering from a wholesaler,I am pretty sure that you have a minimum order for every month.I think that for Super D,it is at least $500.00.
Not worth it.
Old 02-21-12, 04:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For clarity, the prices I got from Super D is based on spending $2,000/month with them. --Peter
Old 02-27-12, 09:52 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The minimum order is 500 dollars a week
HO-LEE-F-ING SHIT

I logged in to their website and noticed very little(if any)difference in the price of CDs(don;t know about DVDs)listed on their website and ImportCDs(which SDCD owns).
It looks like SDCD will not save you any money at all.
Old 02-27-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rider555
The minimum order is 500 dollars a week
HO-LEE-F-ING SHIT

I logged in to their website and noticed very little(if any)difference in the price of CDs(don;t know about DVDs)listed on their website and ImportCDs(which SDCD owns).
It looks like SDCD will not save you any money at all.
That's why many retailers do not order from them; that trend (wholesalers selling at retail & underselling their own customers) is also one of the biggest reasons there are so few retailers left. I've posted this elsewhere, but super d owns a TON of retailers including DD, Import CD's, CCM, & about 7 more that I can't remember at this instant (I've almost certainly posted the complete list on this board in the past). They also own at least 3 cd labels, all of which they bought only to liquidate & shut down: CCM, American Beat & Heartland. I ASSUME they also now own the Critic's Choice DVD label.
Old 02-11-14, 10:47 AM

Has anyone ever tried DVD Wholesale Supply?
Old 02-11-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have had an online cd/dvd business as a full time source of income since 1998. Largely due to a combination of lowballing (Super D outlets, Walmart, Best Buy, etc), the economy, increased postage & shipping supply costs, increased ebay & Amazon fees, click through advertising fees & downloading it is no longer even remotely profitable. The only way I can see for "the small guy" to make it is to luck out at a garage sale & find rarities (Mosaic, DCC, MFSL, Criterion, etc) for next to nothing. Those with large pd collections that the studios have not yet released as MODS also have a chance, if you can find a site that will let you sell them & also has a decent amount of traffic (I may go that route at some point).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.