Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Old 10-17-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Hasbro in Talks for Fourth 'Transformers' Movie

NEW YORK - Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner said Monday that the toy giant is in active discussions with studio partner Paramount, director Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg about a potential fourth Transformers movie, adding he hopes to have news to share in the next quarter.

Speaking on his company's third-quarter earnings conference call, he also said that Hasbro continues to develop entertainment projects based on its brands - despite some delays and challenges. "We continue to actively develop a number of additional Hasbro films with great partners and writers, including Micronauts, Ouija, Candyland, Risk, Stretch Armstrong, Clue and Monopoly," he said.

Asked about the state of Hasbro's movie plans after Universal previously dropped a planned Ouija film due to budget concerns, Goldner said the partners are still working on Stretch Armstrong and Candyland and have Battleship coming out next year, putting the company in good shape.

On Ouija, he drew a comparison to Walt Disney's recent decision to restructure the budget for The Lone Ranger. That is "the same process we have gone through on the Ouija brand," although at a lower level of spending, he said. Goldner added that the script is in good shape and is being polished now, meaning that the film could be back with a studio shortly.

Meanwhile, a Micronauts script is being written for this project with JJ Abrams at Paramount, and the Monopoly, Risk and Clue scripts are also being worked on, according to the CEO. Plus, other projects are also in the works, even though they have not been announced yet, he added.

Would Hasbro ever produce its own movies? "No, we would not employ…a Marvel strategy," Goldner said.
Old 10-17-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Hasbro in Talks for Fourth 'Transformers' Movie

Despite the fact that several Hasbro projects once set up at Universal (like Ouija and Clue) have been put into turnaround, the company is still trying to make movies. During a third-quarter earnings call this morning, Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner said today that developing projects Micronauts (with the involvement of J.J. Abrams), Ouija, Candyland, Risk, Stretch Armstrong, Clue, and Monopoly all continue to putter along. The company won’t try to emulate a company like Marvel and form its own studio, but rather continue to partner with others, and the projects that some studios have put into turnaround are being shopped to other studios, which we’ve known for a while.

The biggest news out of the call, however, was spurred by the huge box-office performance of Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Goldner said the company is in talks with Transformers series producer Steven Spielberg and director Michael Bay to make a fourth film in the franchise.

THR reports on the call, and while I don’t think the possibility of a fourth film comes as a surprise to anyone, given the performance of the prior three, this is the first official word on the subject.

Michael Bay has suggested that he would not direct a fourth film, and while Hasbro is in talks with Bay, I expect he’ll remain on the series as a producer while moving on to direct something else. Star Shia LaBeouf has said that he would not return to the franchise, and until a script is turned in it will be too early to make any calls about what other characters and their respective actors may or may not return.

I guess there’s someone who’s happy about this. The third film raked in $1.1 billion worldwide, so it’s probably the accountants at all companies involved that are the most happy. Hasbro’s CEO said that he hopes to have more Transformers 4 news next quarter, and the company will be announcing more film projects in the future, as well.
Bring in fresh blood. Ditch Bay (he needs to branch out into something different anyway) and get Justin Lin to direct instead.
Old 10-17-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Fuck all you haters. The movies have been fun.
Old 10-17-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Bring in fresh blood. Ditch Bay (he needs to branch out into something different anyway) and get Justin Lin to direct instead.
+1, although I want Lin to at least get the sixth "Fast and Furious" movie done as he really has built something with Fast Five.
Old 10-17-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Bay should go work on Bad Boys III before it's too late.
Old 10-17-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Fuck all you haters. The movies have been fun.
I have all three so I have been entertained. However, if you cut out all the useless bullshit from all three movies, leave in the good parts, and add a few scenes to connect it all together, you have one good movie.
Old 10-17-11, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Justin Lin is the fresh blood it needs. Let him do Fast Six and then start working TF4 agterwards. But lock him in now.
Old 10-17-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Justin Lin?! What the hell are you guys smoking?
Old 10-18-11, 01:11 AM
Banned

The good stuff? *raised eyebrow*
Old 10-18-11, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I just assumed they'd do a new trilogy with a different director and actors (and hopefully more emphasis on the robots)... I enjoyed the first two for what they were, and I haven't seen the third one yet, but I'd rather Bay and company move on to different things.
Old 10-18-11, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Justin Lin?! What the hell are you guys smoking?
Did you not see Fast Five? Justin Lin proved that, although he doesn’t have Michael Bay’s penchant (maybe even a fetish) for pyrotechnics, he knows how to orchestrate coherent mayhem (a skill Bay has yet to master despite some fun sequences) and can properly juggle multiple characters and storylines without letting the story go off the rails.

I know Justin Lin quit Terminator 5 in order to focus on Fast Six/Fast Seven but I hope Paramount and Hasbro go out of their way to lock him down for Transformers 4.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-18-11 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-18-11, 09:42 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Let's just get this out of the way now:

Trans4mers
Old 10-18-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN
Let's just get this out of the way now:

Trans4mers
"Transamers"? Is that the next rip-off from the Asylum? I thought they called them Transmorphers.

Tr4nsformers makes more sense to me. Like Scre4m.
Old 10-18-11, 10:18 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

techincally Trans4mers makes more sense.
Old 10-18-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shocking they'd want to do a fourth. Didn't the last one only make over a billion dollars?
Old 10-18-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Shocking they'd want to do a fourth. Didn't the last one only make over a billion dollars?
Pretty much. I'm surprised there haven't been any news reports that started with the line "in news that will likely surprise no one".
Old 10-18-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm up for a 4th, but wouldn't mind seeing a different director. Maybe someone like Jonathan Mostow. Jason Statham's name is being floated out there as the new human lead.
Old 10-18-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm up for a 4th, but wouldn't mind seeing a different director. Maybe someone like Jonathan Mostow. Jason Statham's name is being floated out there as the new human lead.
The rumour of Statham as the lead of the fourth was circulated before the third was even shot. I'm thinking it's just fan speculation. Much like claims (fostered by musing from Tyrese) that Spielberg would direct the fourth.
Old 10-18-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The rumour of Statham as the lead of the fourth was circulated before the third was even shot. I'm thinking it's just fan speculation. Much like claims (fostered by musing from Tyrese) that Spielberg would direct the fourth.
And with Bay out of the way, they should bring back Megan Fox.
Old 10-18-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
And with Bay out of the way, they should bring back Megan Fox.
I wish! But he's staying as producer and they still need Spielberg's wallet. It seems the only person Spielberg allows to compare others to Nazis is Tom Cruise. But then, I don't think Tom Cruise ever called on of Spielberg's friends (which is what Michael Bay is) a Nazi.
Old 10-18-11, 12:22 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I always thought that Stephen Sommers should have directed the Transformers movies while Bay should have had a go at the GI Joe franchise.
Old 10-18-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I have yet to see a Stephen Sommers movie where the CGI didn't look like complete shit. He's not exactly the guy I'd push for a CGI heavy movie like Transformers. He has no idea what good computer animation looks like.
Old 10-18-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I have yet to see a Stephen Sommers movie where the CGI didn't look like complete shit. He's not exactly the guy I'd push for a CGI heavy movie like Transformers. He has no idea what good computer animation looks like.
Although I enjoyed the hell outta the first two Mummy movies and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, I can't disagree with this statement. It's a shame since his action sequences are far more coherent than Bay's and would actually suit Transformers better.

But there's no denying Bay has a far better eye for CGI. It's just a shame he's so enamoured with obscuring his visuals in excessively close shots, shaky cam, and quick edits.
Old 10-18-11, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
No. Just No. T3 was horrid. He's mostly a mediocre director from what I've seen. Nothing "fresh" or imaginative in his work. Really boring and average direction.

Give TF4 to Lin. Convince him w/ bags of money but lock him in quick!
Old 10-18-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
No. Just No. T3 was horrid. He's mostly a mediocre director from what I've seen. Nothing "fresh" or imaginative in his work. Really boring and average direction.

Give TF4 to Lin. Convince him w/ bags of money but lock him in quick!
I liked U-571 and Breakdown, which were both from Mostow. T3 was crappy in parts, but I always thought the crane sequence was good. I just want someone who will show us a robot battle that isn't cut every 2 seconds.

If they really wanted to go full action hack, they could pick McG. I thought his action scenes in T4 were pretty solid, particularly the moto-terminator scene.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.