DVD Talk
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012, d: Timur Bekmambetov, p: Tim Burton) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012, d: Timur Bekmambetov, p: Tim Burton)

RichC2
02-13-12, 11:44 AM
http://isviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Abraham-Lincoln-To-Vampire-Hunter-1-580x859.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/34x6m-ahGIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Directed by: Timur Bekmambetov (Night Watch, Day Watch, Wanted)
Produced by Tim Burton

Mary Elizabeth Winstead - Mary Todd Lincoln
Dominic Cooper - Henry Sturgess
Alan Tudyk - Stephen A. Douglas
Anthony Mackie - William Johnson
Rufus Sewell - Adam
Benjamin Walker - Abraham Lincoln

Basically, I just love the fact this exists and isn't a super low budget movie.

SethDLH
02-13-12, 12:16 PM
Not a fan of the director but I'm still pretty excited to see how this turns out.

Giles
02-13-12, 12:16 PM
love the cast, hope it's a decent movie.

Draven
02-13-12, 01:27 PM
The book is a fun read - I think the trailer looks outstanding.

Groucho
02-13-12, 01:34 PM
I thought this was supposed be with Daniel Day-Lewis? Guess he quit or got canned.

banthafett
02-13-12, 01:38 PM
Basically, I just love the fact this exists and isn't a super low budget movie.

When I first heard they were going to make this, I thought it would be like a SciFi (or what ever they are calling themselves now) original type movie. This looks pretty good.

RocShemp
02-13-12, 01:40 PM
Not a fan of Timur Bekmambetov but this looks like lots of fun.

whoopdido
02-13-12, 01:41 PM
I thought this was supposed be with Daniel Day-Lewis? Guess he quit or got canned.

It was between him and Liam Neeson but they each thought the other one was a vampire and killed each other.

Jaymole
02-13-12, 01:56 PM

They should have gotten Raymond Massey...big mistake on their part.

redrum
02-13-12, 01:58 PM
Wanted was really entertaining

can't wait for this

SuckaMC
02-13-12, 02:05 PM
I hope this is fun, but I have the feeling that there will be very little of Abe looking like we know him (bearded, etc) fighting vamps, which is half the fun.

fumanstan
02-13-12, 03:34 PM
I always knew there was a reason why Abe was my favorite president.

Supermallet
02-13-12, 04:24 PM
What's with all the Bekmambetov hate? Night Watch is a classic, imo, and Wanted was a lot of fun. Day Watch was a little problematic but not bad.

RocShemp
02-13-12, 04:39 PM
Night Watch was bloated and bordered on the annoying. Day Watch was a little better (more focused plot and less Michael Bay-isms) and Wanted was an absolute bore.

Shannon Nutt
02-13-12, 04:40 PM
They stick to the book (which was historically accurate...except, you know, for the vampire stuff), they'll do fine. I've touted the book as a great way to learn about Lincoln's life - it basically was his life story, but just gave supernatural explanations for the events in his life.

rexinnih
02-13-12, 05:18 PM
Even without Daniel Day Lewis, I'm in for this!

Solid Snake
02-13-12, 05:31 PM
I'm game. I liked Night Watch and really dug Wanted. Also...Lincoln kicking ass? I'm there.

onebyone
02-13-12, 05:35 PM
I like the director's other movies so I will give this one a go.

Of course, with this concept, I would likely give it a chance with almost any director. I just got to see where this goes.

mhg83
02-13-12, 05:50 PM

That's another Lincoln movie coming out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/

TomOpus
02-13-12, 05:58 PM
That's another Lincoln movie coming out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/Groucho gets another one!

Solid Snake
02-13-12, 06:03 PM
...he's being sarcastic, mgbfan.

MoviePage
02-13-12, 07:17 PM
Interesting concept, could have been a lot of fun if they had stayed true to the period.

The trailer, however, brings up memories of Van Helsing and looks like something I'd pay to avoid seeing.

antspawn
02-13-12, 07:46 PM
I'm diggin it! :thumbsup:

Boba Fett
02-13-12, 09:24 PM
This looks like garbage. Just like all those spoof novels: PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES, ANDROID KAERNIA, etc., the novelty shouldn't go past a fake cover/poster.

My Other Self
02-13-12, 09:41 PM
I love Abe, and vampires, so this movie is a no brainer. I liked the book. Can't wait.

Draven
02-13-12, 11:40 PM
This looks like garbage. Just like all those spoof novels: PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES, ANDROID KAERNIA, etc., the novelty shouldn't go past a fake cover/poster.

Have you read any of them? This book basically uses vampires to fill in the "holes" that already exist in Lincoln's story. Otherwise it's a pretty straightforward telling of his life. It's very well done.

Boba Fett
02-14-12, 12:29 AM
Have you read any of them? This book basically uses vampires to fill in the "holes" that already exist in Lincoln's story. Otherwise it's a pretty straightforward telling of his life. It's very well done.

Which is exactly what the other spoof novels do, take the original story and interject a fantasy element. If I was still 15, I'd likely be really excited for this.

Hank1215
02-14-12, 01:02 AM
Excellent book, looking forward to the movie!

antspawn
02-14-12, 02:39 AM
International trailer

<param name="movie" value="http://shocktillyoudrop.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/sh007/81/439459/"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param>
<embed src="http://shocktillyoudrop.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/sh007/81/439459/" width="700" height="462" name="sh007_7b66bfb453667a47b4c63e5e02dd6517" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent"></embed>
</object>

DonnachaOne
02-14-12, 02:59 AM
Timur really likes trainwrecks.

Interpret that as you will. I am however, referring to the setpiece in the trailer and the one in Wanted.

Draven
02-14-12, 07:35 AM
Which is exactly what the other spoof novels do, take the original story and interject a fantasy element. If I was still 15, I'd likely be really excited for this.

I try not to judge things as "garbage" if I've never read/seen/heard them but hey, whatever works for you.

lopper
02-14-12, 07:47 AM
I liked the book well enough, and so far the trailer looks pretty goo too, so I'll definitely see this one in the theaters.

fumanstan
02-14-12, 10:37 AM

Your 15 year old self sounds much cooler :p

Defiant1
02-14-12, 11:51 AM
I bet this will be a lot more fun to watch than the Spielberg/Day-Lewis version. It would be a hoot if they came out on the same day!

Groucho
02-14-12, 11:56 AM
If I was still 15, I'd likely be really excited for this.If I was still 15, I'd likely have a user name based on a Star Wars character.

Boba Fett
02-14-12, 03:23 PM
If I was still 15, I'd likely have a user name based on a Star Wars character.

Yeah...well...you have a username only old people know about...so nyah!

d2cheer
02-14-12, 03:46 PM
Night Watch was bloated and bordered on the annoying. Day Watch was a little better (more focused plot and less Michael Bay-isms) and Wanted was an absolute bore.

Agree with all of this...

MoviePage
02-14-12, 05:27 PM

That sounds good, and I've heard similar positive things about the book from others. This trailer does not look anything like that. Unless the "holes" in Lincoln's life were the ones he left all over the place from nonstop dropkicking.

RocShemp
02-14-12, 05:38 PM
Yeah, there was a lot more asskickery going on in the trailer than I'd expect, based on the book. But then again it was a teaser and probably just cobbled together all the sparse action beats. Either that or the author of the book (who also wrote the screenplay) amped things way up for the movie.

Solid Snake
02-14-12, 07:13 PM
It would pretty badass if DDL was both Lincolns. I'd go fucking nuts to see DDL kick as Abe in this one. He'd be in that role like a motherfucker.

Draven
02-14-12, 08:12 PM
That sounds good, and I've heard similar positive things about the book from others. This trailer does not look anything like that. Unless the "holes" in Lincoln's life were the ones he left all over the place from nonstop dropkicking.

There was a lot more death in his life than I realized - they simply blame a lot of that on vampires. Then in his "free time," he hunts them. So when he's not doing the things he's famous for (which really isn't much of his early life), he's kicking ass.

It's like you know he did something notable one year...but what was he doing the rest of that year? Turns out...hunting vampires.

Dr. DVD
02-14-12, 09:53 PM

Seriously dude, time to find a new gimmick. This is so ten years ago.

Looks like fun to me. However, people who aren't familiar with the source material are likely to scratch their heads.

Why So Blu?
02-15-12, 02:07 AM
I'm digging that international trailer, though. Looks waaaaaaay better than the U.S. one. I'm so in.

Yeti4623
02-15-12, 05:43 AM
I was thinking this was some sort of weird, jokey, indie horror movie. It's actually a big budget, major studio movie. Wow.

Solid Snake
02-15-12, 09:35 AM
Seriously dude, time to find a new gimmick. This is so ten years ago.

Looks like fun to me. However, people who aren't familiar with the source material are likely to scratch their heads.

Hey you leave him alone. I'd rather keep Groucho than lopez or chris_sc77. Don't tell me chris is gone...cuz I'm damn sure he's still here. I just need him to say those specific combo of words damnit.

Draven
02-15-12, 10:16 AM
I'm digging that international trailer, though. Looks waaaaaaay better than the U.S. one. I'm so in.

Really? Waaaaaaay better? There are a couple of different shots and it's reordered a bit. I don't see a huge difference.

Solid Snake
02-15-12, 10:33 AM
Music really changes it up too. Add in Dominic Cooper talking...yeah...I dig it a lot too. It just makes it more epic.

crazychris88
02-15-12, 10:40 AM
Anyone know if they are aiming for a PG-13 or an R rating for this?

RichC2
02-15-12, 10:42 AM
rotfl

majorjoe23
02-15-12, 11:00 AM
No question about length?

Solid Snake
02-15-12, 11:33 AM
Anyone know if they are aiming for a PG-13 or an R rating for this?

would the addition of running time also be worth asking?

crazychris88
02-15-12, 11:37 AM
I am just wanting to know if this is planned as an R-rated movie or a PG-13 rated one. I am not concerned with length at this time. Does anyone know or should I check somewhere else. ?

RocShemp
02-15-12, 11:57 AM
I am just wanting to know if this is planned as an R-rated movie or a PG-13 rated one. I am not concerned with length at this time. Does anyone know or should I check somewhere else. ?

But you might eventually, right? *nudges Solid Snake PAC*

Why So Blu?
02-15-12, 12:00 PM
Really? Waaaaaaay better? There are a couple of different shots and it's reordered a bit. I don't see a huge difference.

Yeah, it actually makes more sense and there's actual dialogue. Much better narrative as opposed to a bunch of random chaotic images.

Solid Snake
02-15-12, 12:05 PM
But you might eventually, right? *nudges Solid Snake PAC*

*hyperventilating*

Shannon Nutt
02-15-12, 03:43 PM

I'm not privy to any inside information, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say the studio is shooting for a PG-13.

Giantrobo
02-15-12, 04:42 PM
It looks like a "hoot" and all but i think I'd rather see Abe fighting Vamps in more of traditional way rather than doing it in a wire fu martial arts kind of way. I guess it's cool he's using an axe rather than a samurai sword.

JayDerek
02-15-12, 06:16 PM

you kill me

RocShemp
02-15-12, 06:38 PM
I'm not privy to any inside information, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say the studio is shooting for a PG-13.

ALthough the director of this film hasn't done a single PG-13 flick so it might be R. The question is, will it be longer than two hours?

My Other Self
02-15-12, 08:47 PM
The question is, will it be longer than two hours?If it's not then it's clearly not worth seeing.

RocShemp
02-15-12, 10:15 PM
If it's not then it's clearly not worth seeing.

Hey. At least it's not animated.

reverie
02-16-12, 09:29 AM
It looks like a "hoot" and all but i think I'd rather see Abe fighting Vamps in more of traditional way rather than doing it in a wire fu martial arts kind of way.

I totally agree.. my initial thought was how much cooler it'd be (well, in a funny/amusing way) if he were like the stoic Abe going around killing creatures.

Jaymole
02-16-12, 09:48 AM
I totally agree.. my initial thought was how much cooler it'd be (well, in a funny/amusing way) if he were like the stoic Abe going around killing creatures.

I agree too:thumbsup:

Solid Snake
02-16-12, 10:08 AM
Yeah, that's the only displeasin aspect I have of the trailers so far. It's not...well...American to fight that way. I expected to be more of grappler and hacker.

Jaymole
02-16-12, 10:24 AM
Yeah, that's the only displeasin aspect I have of the trailers so far. It's not...well...American to fight that way. I expected to be more of grappler and hacker.

That took me totally out of the trailer. But I guess they feel that is the only way they can appeal to the youth market.

islandclaws
02-16-12, 12:09 PM
I guess I'll be one of the few to say this has all the trappings of a pile of expensive shit. I thought the studio would play up the absurdity of the entire project, but, no, they're promoting it with a straight face. Half the people who see this trailer are probably going to think it's a joke a la Grindhouse or Tropic Thunder. I'm mildly curious, but I also don't think Bekmambetov has produced a single solid film.

TomOpus
02-16-12, 12:26 PM
It looks like a "hoot" and all but i think I'd rather see Abe fighting Vamps in more of traditional way rather than doing it in a wire fu martial arts kind of way. I guess it's cool he's using an axe rather than a samurai sword.Same feeling I got when I saw the trailer to The Three Musketeers.

RocShemp
02-16-12, 02:01 PM

Yup. Although he apparently wields an axe in the book, I didn't expect him to be twirling it around or leaping through the air like a wirefu flick.

I still wanna see this but old fashioned American fighting would have suited this better.

Greg MacGuffin
02-16-12, 02:12 PM
I guess I'll be one of the few to say this has all the trappings of a pile of expensive shit. I thought the studio would play up the absurdity of the entire project, but, no, they're promoting it with a straight face. Half the people who see this trailer are probably going to think it's a joke a la Grindhouse or Tropic Thunder. I'm mildly curious, but I also don't think Bekmambetov has produced a single solid film.

Total agreement. When I first heard about this, it sounded silly, but I considered the possibility that it might turn out to be fun. What little interest I had went out the window when I found out who was directing. The trailer looks awful. This will appeal to a small segment of internet fans and nobody else.

reverie
02-16-12, 02:20 PM
I guess I'll be one of the few to say this has all the trappings of a pile of expensive shit. I thought the studio would play up the absurdity of the entire project, but, no, they're promoting it with a straight face.

That's it exactly! To me (and my admitted general lack of knowledge of the book and/or property) it seemed like it'd be done with a nod and a wink.. the serious action flick vibe didn't sit right with me despite me going in wanting to like it.

SethDLH
02-16-12, 09:05 PM
Those trailers are blah. I'll probably pass on this. I agree with those of you that are saying a more stoic Abe should have been the way to go.

Solid Snake
02-16-12, 09:28 PM
Yup. Although he apparently wields an axe in the book, I didn't expect him to be twirling it around or leaping through the air like a wirefu flick.

I still wanna see this but old fashioned American fighting would have suited this better.

Yeah...that's the part that takes me out of the whole concept. He's an American. I want to see the son of a bitch to punch, grapple, headbutt, kick, hack and slash in a more...brutish manner.

Paul1957
03-17-12, 06:29 PM
New trailer:

<object id="flashObj" width="570" height="340" classid="clsid:D<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1515886711001&playerID=627200455001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAACMzGMJk~,RYQzCEk5IfIoG1enDFajMjFMCzspwYAI&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1515886711001&playerID=627200455001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAACMzGMJk~,RYQzCEk5IfIoG1enDFajMjFMCzspwYAI&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="570" height="340" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

PopcornTreeCt
03-17-12, 06:47 PM
:lol: that looks so freakin' awful

fumanstan
03-17-12, 07:42 PM
I think it looks cool :)

RocShemp
03-17-12, 08:59 PM
New trailer:

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1515886711001&playerID=627200455001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAACMzGMJk~,RYQzCEk5IfIoG1enDFajMjFMCzspwYAI&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="570" height="340" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Had to edit the damn embed code to be able to see it.

Looks fun but I would have prefered the action be more grounded when it come to Lincoln himself.

Why So Blu?
03-17-12, 09:45 PM
Looks great!

Solid Snake
03-18-12, 08:01 AM
I still want less HK Abe and more US brute.

Spottedfeather
03-20-12, 05:32 PM
If this had another main character, it might be interesting. But Abraham Lincoln ?....please.

My Other Self
03-20-12, 08:43 PM
If this had another main character, it might be interesting. But Abraham Lincoln ?....please.Seriously? Lincoln is one of the greatest historical figures of all-time. The absurdity is what makes the book awesome. I'm hoping the movie can live up to it.

Peep
03-26-12, 03:00 PM
Abe without his trademark facial hair? Pass.

TomOpus
03-26-12, 03:08 PM
If this had another main character, it might be interesting. But Abraham Lincoln ?....please.You do know this movie is based on a book. It would be a bit of a stretch to change the main character in this case.

Draven
03-26-12, 03:49 PM

http://www.lincoln-institute.org/images/slideshow/slide3.gif

Yeah, how dare they?

Solid Snake
03-26-12, 05:21 PM

Uhm....he does have his beard in this. Have you not seen the trailers?

Groucho
03-26-12, 05:51 PM
Uhm....he does have his beard in this.Played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead!

Peep
03-26-12, 09:42 PM
Uhm....he does have his beard in this. Have you not seen the trailers?

I saw the trailer with "Hunger Games" and he looked pretty young (college-aged?) and I don't remember any facial hair. Maybe he grows a beard later in the movie.

Draven
03-27-12, 10:47 AM
If the movie is like the book, the story goes through basically his whole life.

SuprVgeta
04-09-12, 10:52 PM
I saw the trailer for this at Hunger Games the other day and was like WTF and was cracking up, but I actually think this could actually be a pretty bad ass movie. I'll wait for the reviews before checking it out. Abe Lincoln was a badass :)

Draven
04-09-12, 11:06 PM
The book is pretty bad-ass. I have high hopes the movie will follow suit.

Solid Snake
04-09-12, 11:37 PM
The only thing I don't like so far from the trailers is the HK style Abe has. I expected and wanted a more bare knuckles brawler and slasher. But...we'll see wtf it's like as a whole.

SuckaMC
04-10-12, 12:02 AM
The only thing I don't like so far from the trailers is the HK style Abe has. I expected and wanted a more bare knuckles brawler and slasher. But...we'll see wtf it's like as a whole.

That was expecting the same thing. Even though the whole premise is crazy, having it brawler style would have been more "realistic" and therefore, more enjoyable.

Troy Stiffler
04-10-12, 12:41 AM
I always knew that Lincoln freed the slaves. But I never knew he was a badass who saved Earth from vampires.

Quake1028
04-11-12, 11:03 AM
People laughed, a lot, when this trailer came on before THG when I saw it on Saturday. I thought it was awesome, but I felt like such a loser with everyone else snickering their heads off :(.

redrum
05-24-12, 04:20 PM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vtgi55Yz-rE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vtgi55Yz-rE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Solid Snake
05-24-12, 05:00 PM
again...I love everything about this...EXCEPT the wire fu. I'll still see it.

Dr. DVD
05-24-12, 10:37 PM
Looks like its going for a hard R.

RocShemp
05-24-12, 10:56 PM
again...I love everything about this...EXCEPT the wire fu. I'll still see it.

Agreed.

Chadm
05-24-12, 11:06 PM
Has anyone seen Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter? I remember seeing on the shelf at a local video store. Is it related to Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XtUwd7xOjTE/Trtq3oZ-E3I/AAAAAAAAC3M/HRjtwTGA9FY/s1600/jesuschristvampirehunter.jpg

My Other Self
05-24-12, 11:26 PM
Has anyone seen Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter? I remember seeing on the shelf at a local video store. Is it related to Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XtUwd7xOjTE/Trtq3oZ-E3I/AAAAAAAAC3M/HRjtwTGA9FY/s1600/jesuschristvampirehunter.jpgNo, not remotely related. :lol:

It's a really bad movie but it's fun. I liked it when I was in high school, so much that I bought it. I don't know if it would hold up for me at all, though.

Matthew Chmiel
06-05-12, 08:47 PM
As per BOM:

Rated R for violence throughout and brief sexuality.

My Other Self
06-05-12, 09:02 PM
As per BOM:

Rated R for violence throughout and brief sexuality.Love it. I fully expect this to bomb, though. Even though it's vampires I think it's just too obscure to the tween crowd that Twilight appeals to.

gp1086
06-06-12, 12:18 AM
As per BOM:

Rated R for violence throughout and brief sexuality.
This is actually one of the things that could have happened which make me more excited for it.

fumanstan
06-06-12, 01:16 AM
I really wanted copious amounts of Abe Lincoln sexuality :sad:

DonnachaOne
06-06-12, 01:38 AM
I really wanted copious amounts of Abe Lincoln sexuality :sad:

Your wish is my command.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ewrHj_RRk0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why So Blu?
06-06-12, 03:53 AM
Love it. I fully expect this to bomb, though. Even though it's vampires I think it's just too obscure to the tween crowd that Twilight appeals to.

It actually doesn't appeal to the Twilight crowd at all. This is some adult shit. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is filed in the adult section not the YA section.

It's aimed at an older crowd, which I appreciate.

MoviePage
06-06-12, 07:23 AM
The problem is that adults don't want to see it, either.

Draven
06-06-12, 08:40 AM

The book was a New York Times bestseller. A fair number of people read it, and might be interested in a movie version.

Why So Blu?
06-06-12, 03:25 PM

Says who? Probably those that don't even know it's a book.

MoviePage
06-06-12, 03:26 PM
I'm one of those people who read it, and I'd be interested in a literate adaptation that's somewhat grounded in reality. Zero interest in yet another quick-cut wire-fu action fest as indicated by the trailer. I imagine that I'm not alone.

Osiris3657
06-22-12, 07:26 AM
Well, Ebert liked it:

3 Stars (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120620/REVIEWS/120629989)

Why So Blu?
06-22-12, 11:58 AM
There was an interview with the writer of the film who also wrote the book and he talks about the massive changes that he had to make in order for it to be marketable. The book is epic, the film is more of a "thrill ride," with all the minutia from the book left out. *shrugs*

I'm seeing it today at 5pm.

redrum
06-22-12, 06:37 PM
Some of the dumbest reviews I've seen for a movie

mdc3000
06-22-12, 08:04 PM
I don't need my movies to have a history lesson in them, but if you knew nothing about Lincoln going in, you'd know even less coming out. I enjoyed it overall, but it felt like a string of videogame cutscenes - cool visuals, horrible dialogue and not a single character you cared about or moment that held any weight whatsoever. The 3D was fine but where I saw it, the projection was dark and the desaturated look of much of it got annoying to me - I wish it had been a bit more FUN. It's so sombre and never badass enough to justify going that route. I thought the end credit sequence was better than the 115 minutes that came before it.

Mike UFC
06-22-12, 09:40 PM
^agreed but my wife and I were even more lukewarm towards it at the end. I appreciate the movie playing it straight, but was definitely missing the fun. Went to to a 2:40 PM PST showing and there were maybe 15-20 people in the theatre. Don't see this one doing well.

Why So Blu?
06-22-12, 10:21 PM
Just got home. It was silly fun, nothing more. I do hope that they put out an extended or director's cut. Some of the non-action scenes were awkwardly edited. My main gripe was:

Mary was married when she met Abe, but 5 minutes later she hooked up with him and married him. Whatever happened to the dude from Firefly that she was married too?

The Antipodean
06-23-12, 04:45 AM
I quite enjoyed the book as an alt-history fan, but little interest in seeing a movie and they totally picked the wrong director for this. While the book was fairly serious it worked in that medium, but for a film you really need a bit more tongue in cheek - Sam Raimi could've had fun with it.

onebyone
06-23-12, 02:31 PM
I quite enjoyed the book as an alt-history fan, but little interest in seeing a movie and they totally picked the wrong director for this. While the book was fairly serious it worked in that medium, but for a film you really need a bit more tongue in cheek - Sam Raimi could've had fun with it.

This.

I enjoyed the movie well enough, and thought that some of the actions scenes were really great. However, I definitely question the choice to play this movie completely and utterly straight. It didn't have to be a camp fest, but just a smidge of tongue and cheek could have made the movie a whole lot more fun.

The lead in this movie, Benjamin Walker, sure looks a whole lot like a young Liam Neeson. In some scenes, it was almost like Liam played the role and then they put him through the Benjamin Buttons process. This of course just makes you think of how much more awesome the movie Liam Neeson: Vampire Hunter would've been.

lisadoris
06-23-12, 02:59 PM
It was an interesting film and some of the action scenes were really cool. I question the premise of having vampires responsible for the proliferation of slavery in the United States but having Harriet Tubman essentially be responsible for the north winning the Civil War sorta makes up for the racial revisionism.

I haven't read the book so I cannot compare but I don't mind that the director played the movie straight. It's more Blade than Buffy.

Just got home. It was silly fun, nothing more. I do hope that they put out an extended or director's cut. Some of the non-action scenes were awkwardly edited. My main gripe was:

Mary was married when she met Abe, but 5 minutes later she hooked up with him and married him. Whatever happened to the dude from Firefly that she was married too?

To answer your question
Mary was engaged to Douglas, not married. My guess is, the wedding was off. We see Douglas briefly in the Lincoln/Douglas debate

Shannon Nutt
06-23-12, 04:01 PM
What can I say, I liked it...a lot. They've taken Lincoln and turned him into a semi-superhero, but much of the "real" Lincoln is still up there on screen. The bigger History buff you are, the more you're going to enjoy this movie...they've tweaked things a little here for purposes of screen time (sadly, no Ann Rutledge, and you'd never know the Lincolns had any other children but Willie if your only exposure to him was this film)...but considering they cover his life from young adult to the presidency, they did a pretty good job.

The movie is an R, but has very much a PG-13 feel to it. Nothing TOO gory or sexual in the film and by no means a "hard" R.

Those looking for action sequences will probably be the most disappointed. Yes, there are a number of scenes with Abe taking on vamps, but they're heavily CGI'd and - for me - the least appealing parts of the film. It's the rest of the movie that I enjoyed the most...and I'm guessing fans of the book (which also was more about history than Abe fighting vamps) will enjoy the most as well.

I give it a B+

Jonno2006
06-24-12, 03:25 AM
I don't need my movies to have a history lesson in them, but if you knew nothing about Lincoln going in, you'd know even less coming out. I enjoyed it overall, but it felt like a string of videogame cutscenes - cool visuals, horrible dialogue and not a single character you cared about or moment that held any weight whatsoever. The 3D was fine but where I saw it, the projection was dark and the desaturated look of much of it got annoying to me - I wish it had been a bit more FUN. It's so sombre and never badass enough to justify going that route. I thought the end credit sequence was better than the 115 minutes that came before it.

What was the end credits sequence? I ALWAYS stay till the end of movies and 98% of the time there's never anything.

After i saw this today we wanted to stay and relax in our seats for the credits but everyone left and we were the only people left and the cleanup people looked like they were waiting just for us...

So it kinda made it awkward so we left, and there actually WAS something? ARG!

Not cool! :(

Shannon Nutt
06-24-12, 09:57 AM
What was the end credits sequence? I ALWAYS stay till the end of movies and 98% of the time there's never anything.

After i saw this today we wanted to stay and relax in our seats for the credits but everyone left and we were the only people left and the cleanup people looked like they were waiting just for us...

So it kinda made it awkward so we left, and there actually WAS something? ARG!

Not cool! :(

I didn't stay either, but I'm assuming it was a scene that showed Abe Lincoln was still "alive" as a vampire since that's how the book ends.

Draven
06-24-12, 10:35 AM
The Internet says there is nothing after the credits, which is why we didn't stick around. What was the scene?

There were massive changes from the book, most likely in the interest of expediency. The book is quite dense and spends time introducing characters the movie just couldn't afford. Once I got on board with that, it was a fun ride. You don't see a lot of axe spinning in movies, so that was always fun to watch. It's pretty much "go go go" from the beginning and Walker does a good job portraying Lincoln through the years.

All in all it was a fun little action flick which is all I wanted.

RocShemp
06-24-12, 10:40 AM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln:_Vampire_Hunter_(film)#Plot):

Over a century later, in modern times, Sturgess locates a young man at a bar in Washington, D.C. and approaches him in the same way he once approached Lincoln, revealing that he's still alive and training vampire hunters.

So they don't use the ending of the book.

Draven
06-24-12, 10:43 AM
Oh, that wasn't post credits. It's just the last scene in the movie.

Shannon Nutt
06-24-12, 11:48 AM
Yeah, every one sees that scene...that's a pre-credits scene. :) The "implication" is there that it's Lincoln. Or maybe Obama. ;)

writer106
06-24-12, 04:11 PM
I went and saw this last night. I thought it was ok and I kind of do wish it had been a bit more gory. I didn't like some of the CGI parts.

Troy Stiffler
06-24-12, 08:17 PM
Enlightening movie. I never knew that Lincoln went through all of that stuff.

Troy Stiffler
06-24-12, 08:31 PM
Things I noticed...

Timur Bekmambetov made another movie with a big train crash, with a plot twist no less.

There was NOT a post-credit sequence on the 2D showing. I would have watched anyways. But you bastards had me excited about seeing a modern day vampire Abe or whatever. I was actually expecting something silly to do with Obama.

The absurdity was what made the movie. I'm really not a fan of Bekmambetov's action sequences. They look neat, but just don't get to me.

Some moments just didn't work. Like when Lincoln's mom is killed. Nothing new on interesting whatsoever. There were a handful of "okay, let's get over this part" moments.

The actor who played Lincoln shares some facial features with Liam Neeson.

Even 150 years later, some of the absurdity felt a little offensive. Just think of Lincoln or all those dead Union soldiers, thinking that they're going to be laughed at in the future. There were a few times during the Gettysburg scenes where I thought this. I guess there's been silly WWII movies ... and none of the wars since then aren't really worth defending.

History is a silly subject anyways. It's corrupted with lies and opinions. And everyone writes and interprets their own version nowadays.

mdc3000
06-24-12, 08:48 PM

There was no stinger, I meant the ACTUAL end credit sequence, where the blood runs all over the place and ends up to form the map of the United States, while the credits play over it...

sharkstank
06-27-12, 07:33 AM
Enlightening movie. I never knew that Lincoln went through all of that stuff.

Haha yea, Lincoln must have discovered the 36 hour day as well. Pretty amazing that he could study the law, work at that shop, seduce Mary Todd and fight vampires at the same time. Amazing.

I thought the trailer looked like fun, I enjoyed Wanted but was lukewarm about Night and Day Watch. Thought this was ok, definitely wasn't boring. Although it really slows down during the third act before the finale. Things were also dropped or forgotten (Tudyk). The action scenes were good despite being really frenetic and shot tightly. I liked the vampire designs when I could see them. Of course the movie was dumb, but an alright action movie. The movie shouldn't have taken itself so seriously.

Thought Ben Walker did a good job, and if they weren't Rufus Sewell and Martin Csokas, the villains would have been seriously lacking. More movies need to have Mary Elizabeth Winstead too.

**1/2 out of ****

TGM
06-27-12, 07:54 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but PLEASE tell me there is a scene where just before Abe chops off the head of a vamp he delivers a dead pan "Penny for your thoughts!"

Roybq
06-27-12, 10:48 AM

Regarding the spoiler, they were only engaged. I saw this yesterday after just finishing the book. I thought it was just okay as a movie and I was surprised how much it deviated from the book, although the author of the book wrote the screenplay. The ending felt abrupt to me because I was expecting another sequence involving John Wilkes Booth and the twist regarding Lincoln's fate. The book was a great mashup of history and fiction and the movie dumped most of the historical connections to focus mostly on the vampire slaying aspect. I probably wouldn't have minded that so much if I hadn't just read the book and liked how it cleverly explained how vampires fit into historical events.

Draven
06-27-12, 12:00 PM
Considering the scope of the book, it doesn't surprise me that the author had to pare everything down. Another complaint I've heard about the movie is that it moves too quickly. Goes from young Abe to President Abe in about an hour and change. Which I didn't mind but I could see how some would.

Pizza
06-28-12, 11:52 PM
Didn't like it. I really hate this trend of vampires walking around in the daylight. Really tired of that cop out.
Definitely a big miss opportunity regarding the assassination. I kept imagining what they would do with that and was disappointed. Also didn't like the epilogue. Watching Abe practice swinging and spinning the ax like a ninja warrior was stupid as well as having to slice a tree down in one swing. The ax as his weapon of choice was fine though, but it didn't need to be rigged.

Mike86
06-29-12, 12:48 AM
Saw it yesterday afternoon and I thought it was okay. It was campy and pretty fun to watch. I do agree that a director's cut could benefit the film in some ways though as there were some parts that just didn't flow as well as they should have.

Matthew Chmiel
06-29-12, 01:32 AM
Saw it this evening and I thought it was a boring mess.

The fire alarms kept on going off in the theater during the film's final ten minutes and I couldn't give two shits. That's how uninterested I was in the flick.

joefrog91
07-06-12, 01:55 PM
I thought it was a campy, silly, fun movie. Didn't expect some great masterpiece, so I was entertained. I'm glad I saw it at the theater before it left.

Shannon Nutt
07-06-12, 03:16 PM
Didn't like it. I really hate this trend of vampires walking around in the daylight. .

Trend? You mean like "since Bram Stoker wrote Dracula" trend? I don't think sunlight was deadly to vampires until they started to make movies about them.

Draven
07-06-12, 03:21 PM
Trend? You mean like "since Bram Stoker wrote Dracula" trend? I don't think sunlight was deadly to vampires until they started to make movies about them.

Shh...stop making sense!

arminius
07-06-12, 06:20 PM
http://titaniumrod.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/david-byrne.png

asianxcore
11-12-12, 12:34 AM
Another complaint I've heard about the movie is that it moves too quickly. Goes from young Abe to President Abe in about an hour and change. Which I didn't mind but I could see how some would.

I liked how fast the film moved. Within the first 20 minutes you already have Lincoln in Vampire training.

Thought the film was fun and entertaining.