Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : MLB 2012 Spring Training Thread

Pages : [1] 2

davidh777
02-13-12, 02:55 AM
Pitchers and catchers report! :banana: :bdance: :rock2: :dance:

(Mariners and Giants already broke camp over the weekend.)

Picking up from the MLB 2011-2012 Offseason Thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/595297-mlb-2011-2012-offseason-thread-57.html)

dsa_shea
02-13-12, 08:03 AM
Has Albert shown up yet?

Rob V
02-13-12, 08:35 AM
Going down to watch my Tigers in late March. Can't wait to see Cabrera -- he allegedly lost 25lbs so far and is shooting for 15 more by end of camp.

CRM114
02-13-12, 10:41 AM
Damn. Decent Phillies tickets are near impossible to get.

JumpCutz
02-13-12, 11:41 AM
The Oakland A's and Yoenis Cespedes agree to a deal 4 years/36 million. Finally some good news out of Oaktown. :banana:

Cory02
02-13-12, 11:58 AM
The Oakland A's and Yoenis Cespedes agree to a deal 4 years/36 million. Finally some good news out of Oaktown. :banana:

I'm surprised the Marlins didn't sign him. If nothing else, it would have helped sell some seats in the new ball park. If Cespedes lives up to the hype, he can really cash in in 4 years when he hits free agency.

dsa_shea
02-13-12, 12:05 PM
The Marlins are really cheap bastards and I don't believe that they ever intended to sign him. I think they blew their max load this winter on Reyes, Buehrle and Bell. A 36 million dollar deal for your first 4 years in the Majors is "cashing in" in my honest opinion.

CRM114
02-13-12, 01:24 PM
Phils GM on news last night. Basically said there is no chance they will sign Oswalt barring injury or some other unforeseen event. This virtually guarantees his signing. ;)

Mr. Cinema
02-13-12, 01:39 PM
I'm stunned the As signed Cespedes. I figured their offer would have been a free movie ticket + dinner.

Trance97
02-13-12, 01:43 PM
Go MN TWINS!

CRM114
02-13-12, 02:09 PM
I'm just happy I can dust off my old Jim Thome shirt.

Mr. Cinema
02-13-12, 02:13 PM
My brother and I are taking my dad to a Baltimore game for his 60th b'day this year. We've decided to watch the Nationals. So I'm hoping Mr. Harper makes the big league club this year. Seeing Strasburg would be a bonus.

Deftones
02-13-12, 04:10 PM

The best part is he is the highest paid player on the team now. :lol:

JumpCutz
02-13-12, 04:22 PM
Damn, I never thought about that. :lol:

NORML54601
02-13-12, 05:21 PM
Here's hoping I can finally make it to a MLB game this year.

When does spring training start? I hate this part of the year with no football or baseball and before March Madness.

dsa_shea
02-13-12, 05:23 PM

With ZERO MLB experience. I'm sure there will be a few malcontents in the clubhouse after this signing.

davidh777
02-13-12, 07:40 PM
I read that Miami wanted no fewer than six years. If he really is 26, that would take him through his prime years instead of allowing him to hit the market again at 30.

Cubs are rumored to be chasing hard after Soler now--he's younger so he fits their "contend this millennium" timeline.

wirefan
02-13-12, 08:11 PM
Cubs are rumored to be chasing hard after Soler now--he's younger so he fits their "contend this millennium" timeline.

:lol:

Soler might end up being the better player, while he doesn't have cool work out videos, the only thing he's missing is power though at 19 it's still a bit early to tell. He's also probably much more likely to stick in CF... I think more than a few people think Cespedes will end up in LF or RF eventually.

Though it seems like Soler's going to get a bunch of money for a 19 year old who's still a high risk prospect.

wirefan
02-13-12, 08:25 PM

Their 2nd highest player? Coco Crisp. They also have two average-ish relievers (Fuentes and Balfour) in the top 6... their payroll is really strange in terms of distribution.

So 2 outfielders will get roughly 25% of their entire payroll this year and probably somewhere between 30-40% next year. They also traded for Seth Smith, Josh Reddick and Cowgill and signed Gomes so they went from no outfielders to six of them (and they also have a couple of guys in AAA who've been there a couple of years).

Sometimes I get the feeling that Beane seems more interested in making moves then the team on the field... last year he was stockpiling relievers, this year apparently it's outfielders.

starman9000
02-13-12, 09:46 PM
How much are they supposed to be giving to Manny?

Daryl
02-14-12, 12:48 AM
Going down to watch my Tigers in late March.
Thanks man, this post made me realize - I'm gonna be in Orlando at a conference in March! Looks like I'm gonna have to take a sidetrip to Lakeland and check out the Tigers

davidh777
02-14-12, 01:59 AM
Wow, I didn't expect that Cespedes move at all. A lot of surprises this offseason.

That Coco Crisp contract was strange, like they were trying to meet minimum payroll.

The Trib is saying that the Cubs are "expected" to sign Soler. I can't find anyone else who has this degree of confidence, though, so they might just be making it up.

TheKing
02-14-12, 02:18 AM
Their 2nd highest player? Coco Crisp. They also have two average-ish relievers (Fuentes and Balfour) in the top 6... their payroll is really strange in terms of distribution.

So 2 outfielders will get roughly 25% of their entire payroll this year and probably somewhere between 30-40% next year. They also traded for Seth Smith, Josh Reddick and Cowgill and signed Gomes so they went from no outfielders to six of them (and they also have a couple of guys in AAA who've been there a couple of years).

Sometimes I get the feeling that Beane seems more interested in making moves then the team on the field... last year he was stockpiling relievers, this year apparently it's outfielders.

What reason does Beane have to try and field a competitive team? The A's don't have the money or the talent to compete with the Angels and Rangers. Moneyball worked when nobody else was doing it. Now the kind of players Beane would have snagged are out of his price range.

Beyond that, nobody shows up in Oakland win or lose. Beane's mission at this point is to keep picking up players on the cheap and flipping them for low level prospects. The goal is to field a competitive team once they move out of the coliseum and have the money and fan base to support it.

And, they still have a good shot at finishing ahead of the Mariners.

mcnabb
02-14-12, 05:45 AM
For any Phillies fans, there is an interesting article by Matt Gelb in www.philly.com about the Phils TV deal. Right now they are getting about 24 million for their Comcast TV deal, which dwarfs compared to other big market teams (especially the deal the Angels and Rangers just signed with Fox Sports Net). The Phils ratings have been in the top 5 for the past few years.

The Phils deal with Comcast is up in 2015, and they said they have all the leverage to either re-negotiate a huge deal to stay with Comcast or maybe sign an Angels-like deal with a Fox Sports Net Regional Station. The Angels deal netted them roughly 50 million more a year to their already existing TV deal, hence why they were able to easily sign Pujois to that enormous deal.

Either way, the Phils will definitely have a new revenue stream come 2015 or earlier.

Cardsfan111
02-14-12, 07:26 AM
^ Maybe the Phils knew about this when they decided Ryan Howard would be a good value at $25 million/year from 2014-2016. ;)

mcnabb
02-14-12, 08:11 AM
^ Maybe the Phils knew about this when they decided Ryan Howard would be a good value at $25 million/year from 2014-2016. ;)

Don't worry the Phils Management keep throwing it out there that 41 year old Jim Thome can play some games at 1B til Howard gets back, even though he hasn't played any fielding positions since 2007. :lol:

The irony of it all is since my Phils won the World Series they have increased their payroll every year, yet we have lost in an earlier round each year too. :(

Deftones
02-14-12, 08:13 AM
I guess a few Korean teams came to AZ to use some of the spring training facilities for their own spring training. Sounds like it will be a regular thing. Kind of cool.

CRM114
02-14-12, 08:43 AM
The Oakland A's would probably fare better moving back to Philadelphia.

bunkaroo
02-14-12, 11:09 AM
For some reason the White Soc just signed Fukudome to a 1 year $1 mil deal. I thought we had enough outfielders - not sure why we need another one with a hole in his bat.

Rob V
02-14-12, 11:44 AM
For some reason the White Soc just signed Fukudome to a 1 year $1 mil deal. I thought we had enough outfielders - not sure why we need another one with a hole in his bat.

As a Tiger's fan I'm glad to see the Sox implode and give up... as a baseball fan, I see that and think "WTF???".

bunkaroo
02-14-12, 11:46 AM
Well the Sox won't be their stiffest competition anyway in the division. KC is always a threat and Cleveland should be too. Not really sure what's going on with the Twins for this year but I'd be surprised if they do as badly as last year.

starman9000
02-14-12, 11:54 AM
I don't have a lot of hope. They made some necessary moves, but looks like they had a net loss in talent. Really, it all comes down to Morneau getting healthy finally and Mauer returning to form. Pitching is as mediocre as ever, so even that might not make too much of a difference, but they've surprised me before.

davidh777
02-14-12, 11:59 AM
I think the ChiSox were one of Fukudome's original suitors--funny that they can now get him at 1/12 of the rate of his original contract. I don't think he's a bad guy to have around as a reserve for $1M.

davidh777
02-14-12, 12:45 PM
More buzz about Soler to the Cubs. He's no sure thing, of course, but I like the course of loading up on high-ceiling prospects rather than high-priced middle-of-the-roaders.

One scouting report:

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/02/14/scouting-report-jorge-soler-of/

Scouting Report: Jorge Soler (OF)
Posted on 14 February 2012

BLUF: Potential stud right fielder with good defense and offense to spare, but he comes with considerable risk.

The Player: Jorge Soler (OF, Technically Without a Team) – Young Cuban defector that is rumored (Chicago Tribune) to have the framework of a deal in place to sign with the Cubs once he is officially declared a free agent by Major League Baseball. The 19-year old Soler defected last year and has been receiving plenty of buzz since that time.

Scouting Report

Body: Very physical (6-3, 200) with explosive strength and athleticism. Muscular but maintains flexibility and shows fast-twitch ability. Plus athlete.
Makeup: Largely an unknown. Scouts I spoke with that scouted him in international tournaments indicated he displayed strong competitiveness and a good work ethic, pointing to positive makeup.
Hit: Soler has yet to face truly premium competition and as a result his hit tool remains largely untested. He has plenty of bat speed and shows some feel for the barrel and contact. Rarely struck out in international competitions and most scouts I spoke with believe he can be an average hitter or maybe a tick better if everything clicks. Grade – 30/50
Power: Arguably the highlight of his game. True plus-plus raw power to the pull side, along with the strength to drive the ball out the opposite way. Typically trusts his swing and allows his physicality to do the work for him, rather than muscling up to drive the ball out. Doesn’t have a ton of loft in his swing but shear bat speed allows him to get the ball out on a line. Could be a special power prospect as he develops and adds loft and leverage to his swing. Grade (raw power) – 50/70
Arm: Classic right field arm. Gets rid of it quickly with plenty of velocity and good carry on all throws. Good, consistent mechanics allow him to be accurate with most throws. Grade – 60/60
Fielding: Shows solid instincts in game situations. Gets a good read on the ball off the bat and make the appropriate jump. Routes aren’t always pretty but his speed can allow him to make up for it. High effort defender that doesn’t back down from anything. Believes he can make plays in the outfield. Potential weapon in right field. Grade – 50/60
Speed: Scouts turned in 4.22-4.36 seconds from home to first. Gets out of the box well from the right side and is generally an above-average runner. Doesn’t read pitchers that well and is unlikely to be a base stealing threat as he reaches his prime. Doesn’t project to lose much, if any of his speed as he reaches physical maturity. Grade – 50/50

Summation: Truly classic right field profile. Offers plus-plus raw power that has a chance to translate if the hit tool comes together. Good athlete with an impressive body. Runs well in the outfield and should be a plus defender with a plus arm. Many of the nuances of the game are in various stages of development and he will require refinement for all his tools to play at once in the US. Raw ceiling could be a .275-.280 hitter with 30 home runs in the heart of the lineup, all with very good outfield defense.

Relative Risk: High. High doesn’t begin to describe Soler’s risk level. Handing a teenager more than $25 million and trying to develop him in a new country and a new baseball environment is extremely risky, but the payoff could be huge.

Future: Where Soler plays in 2012 depends very much on when he receives full clearance from OFAC and MLB to sign with a club, presumably the Cubs. It seems very likely that he would spend at least some amount of time in extended spring training with the hope being that he heads to Low-A Peoria in the summer. He doesn’t project to fly through the system and could take at least three years to be on the big league radar.

bunkaroo
02-14-12, 12:48 PM
I think the ChiSox were one of Fukudome's original suitors--funny that they can now get him at 1/12 of the rate of his original contract. I don't think he's a bad guy to have around as a reserve for $1M.

I don't remember but it wouldn't surprise me. Fucking Williams always does that shit - once he has a hard-on for a player he will get them even if they're past their prime.

LurkerDan
02-14-12, 01:50 PM
KC is always a threat

um, wut?

davidh777
02-14-12, 01:56 PM
Does anyone anticipate much of a race in the AL Central? :hscratch:

starman9000
02-14-12, 02:23 PM
um, wut?

It does seem like the talking heads every year like to say KC is a sneaky pick that's just around the corner and looking to breakout. :lol: If they have a good first week, they'll do it again.

LurkerDan
02-14-12, 02:32 PM
It does seem like the talking heads every year like to say KC is a sneaky pick that's just around the corner and looking to breakout. :lol: If they have a good first week, they'll do it again.

Sure, but in the past 8 years the closest they have even gotten to .500 is 12 games under. Last year they were 20 games under. They have finished over .500 just once in the last 17 years. :lol:

Now I'm not saying that they don't have some talent, and hell, maybe they'll overachieve and be that threat. But surely there is humor in "KC is always a threat", no?

starman9000
02-14-12, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah, I was agreeing with you.

bunkaroo
02-14-12, 02:46 PM
um, wut?

I should clarify - they're a threat to the White Sox LOL. I do think they tend to play certain teams better than others. I didn't mean they were a threat to win the division - yet. I think they're getting better every year though. I don't think they're as bad as their record shows.

Deftones
02-14-12, 03:18 PM
I created the 2 fantasy public leagues I've done the past few years today. If you were in them last year, you should've received an email from Yahoo. I will allow for a few weeks for sign ups. After that, if there are empty spots, I'll open them up to the board here.

rabbit77
02-14-12, 03:39 PM
I should clarify - they're a threat to the White Sox LOL. I do think they tend to play certain teams better than others. I didn't mean they were a threat to win the division - yet. I think they're getting better every year though. I don't think they're as bad as their record shows.

It's more like the Sox don't show up whenever they play the Royals. Now that Buehrle is gone they have almost no chance at a winning record against them. Butler et al are going to rake. Shoot, even Betemit kicked their ass.

Fukudome was one Williams' targets when he was still in Japan. So long as they release him when the calendar turns to May I'm fine with the deal.

whotony
02-15-12, 12:04 AM
If the Phils sign with Fox spots net how would that work since there is no local FSN in the Philly market?

mcnabb
02-15-12, 06:00 AM
If the Phils sign with Fox spots net how would that work since there is no local FSN in the Philly market?

Matt Gelb did a follow up article to answer alot of these questions.
The Phils can do 3 things:

1. Stick with Comcast and just renegotiate a better deal before 2015.

2. Wait for 2015, and create their own network like YES and NESN, which they would probably have to get the Flyers/76ers to go along to have winter programming.

3. Sign an Angels-like deal with FOX and they would create FSN-Philadelphia to rival ComcastSportsnet, which then Comcast would be forced to pick up the channel on their lineup or face the wrath of Phillies fans.

Either way, he said the Phils have all the leverage because of their ratings and popularity right now, and he thinks in the end they will stick with Comcast. They're just saying they may go elsewhere to put a scare into Comcast for a better deal.

whotony
02-15-12, 09:28 AM
I saw that. By the time I got to the article all that was there.

Regardless of what channel airs the games, as a viewer it doesn't matter because everything is always the same. There is never any variance other than the graphics.
This has been bugging me for a few years now. Its not just Phillies but nearly all baseball broadcasts. I would love to see sme diffent angles once in awhile.
Maybe a straight home plate shot from center field like I have seen from a few cities like the Cards.

I was watching some old Yankee games on YES and they actually had the center fold camera on the left side of the pitcher's mound.

Just give me something different, oh and please get Tom McCarthy off the air for a few innings and put Franske on.
Since Harry Kallas passed they have only had McCarthy on pxp on the tv side. They used to alternate which would break up the monotony.

mcnabb
02-15-12, 10:30 AM
Just give me something different, oh and please get Tom McCarthy off the air for a few innings and put Franske on.
Since Harry Kallas passed they have only had McCarthy on pxp on the tv side. They used to alternate which would break up the monotony.

Not sure how you are, but I grew up with Harry Kalas and Whitey Ashburn, and Wheeler and Musser were the 'B' crew for middle innings, and now were are stuck with Tom McCarthy for 9 innings while Sarge/Wheels are do color. Terrible!

whotony
02-15-12, 10:38 AM
Oops didn't mean to imply Harry was monotony but it is now with no breaks in middle innings.

Been listening and watching Phils games since around 1970.

Sarge has grown on me but I've had enough of Wheels and McCarthy and his "Oppo boppo"

Mr. Cinema
02-15-12, 10:59 AM
Maybe he's insurance in case Viciedo flops. I think he can be a decent fill-in.

I think the White Sox can still be competitive in the Central. Assuming no one else gets moved, the rotation is still pretty decent with Danks, Peavy, Floyd, Sale, and Humber. The bullpen will be iffy, especially when we got rid of Santos. Which I still can't figure out why. He wasn't that expensive.

And the offense desperately needs Dunn, Beckham, and Rios to not repeat last year.

mcnabb
02-15-12, 11:04 AM
Sarge has grown on me but I've had enough of Wheels and McCarthy and his "Oppo boppo"

I can live with Sarge, and I have just gotten used to Wheels after 30 years. McCarthy is so bland, and I guess we were spoiled with Gene Hart, Harry Kalas, and Merrill Reese doing the Flyers, Phils, and Eagles games, you really don't get any better then those guys.

davidh777
02-15-12, 11:16 AM
These new TV deals make baseball's inequities even more awesome

Rob V
02-15-12, 01:22 PM
Maybe he's insurance in case Viciedo flops. I think he can be a decent fill-in.

I think the White Sox can still be competitive in the Central. Assuming no one else gets moved, the rotation is still pretty decent with Danks, Peavy, Floyd, Sale, and Humber. The bullpen will be iffy, especially when we got rid of Santos. Which I still can't figure out why. He wasn't that expensive.

And the offense desperately needs Dunn, Beckham, and Rios to not repeat last year.

So assuming those 9 things come together, yeah, they might be competitive. :lol: Kenny Williams ego has ruined that team... not to mention the horrible hiring of Ventura. I don't put a ton of stock in what a manager means to a team, but I do put some stock in what "respect" a manager brings to the locker room. Whenever I even hear Ventura's name I think of him getting "little brothered" by Ryan.

bunkaroo
02-15-12, 01:36 PM
Ventura might have been a decent pick as an adviser or a coach just to have his experience there but for manager, yeah I don't know where they're going with that. At least Ozzie had some MLB coaching experience.

Williams has sold out the future too many times now since 2005 to try and win "now" and those moves have almost always blown up in his face. I don't know how he still has his job. Yeah he was GM in 2005 for the team that won, but some of the key players on that team were already signed by his predecessor.

The team slogan this year should have just simply been "IF", because that's all it ever is these days. If Sale converts well to a starter; if Peavy stays healthy; if Rios and Dunn play to career average; if Floyd manages to pitch well in more than 3 months; if Humber can repeat his unlikely performance from 2011; if Viciedo hits everything in sight; if Thornton or Reed can close (Thornton has already failed once at this); etc.

I'll be at the home opener because it's a tradition for me but have no plans to go to any other games in April. If by some miracle they're within a few games of 1st place throughout May I'll start thinking about going again. And for comparison's sake, I went to 13 games in 2010 and 6 last year (mostly in the 1st half).

davidh777
02-15-12, 06:34 PM
Cubs/Soler rumors are being debunked. So we'll see.

CRM114
02-16-12, 01:53 PM
Matt Gelb did a follow up article to answer alot of these questions.
The Phils can do 3 things:

1. Stick with Comcast and just renegotiate a better deal before 2015.

2. Wait for 2015, and create their own network like YES and NESN, which they would probably have to get the Flyers/76ers to go along to have winter programming.

3. Sign an Angels-like deal with FOX and they would create FSN-Philadelphia to rival ComcastSportsnet, which then Comcast would be forced to pick up the channel on their lineup or face the wrath of Phillies fans.

Either way, he said the Phils have all the leverage because of their ratings and popularity right now, and he thinks in the end they will stick with Comcast. They're just saying they may go elsewhere to put a scare into Comcast for a better deal.

Aren't the Flyers and Sixers owned by Comcast?

CRM114
02-16-12, 01:56 PM

I have yet to meet anyone that likes Tom McCarthy. He talks too much. Harry and Whitey understood silence and how to use it.

TomOpus
02-16-12, 04:19 PM
Not sure if this should go here....

Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter dies at 57 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/hall-of-fame-catcher-gary-carter-dies-at-57-diagnosed-with-brain-tumor-last-may/2012/02/16/gIQA7plOIR_story.html)

NEW YORK — Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter, whose single for the New York Mets in the 1986 World Series touched off one of the most improbable rallies in baseball, died Thursday. He was 57.

Carter was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor last May.

Carter was an 11-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glove winner. His bottom-of-the-10th single in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series helped the New York Mets mount a charge against the Boston Red Sox and eventually beat them.

Nicknamed “Kid,” Carter played nearly two decades with the Mets, Montreal, San Francisco and the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was the first player to go into the Hall of Fame with an Expos cap on his plaque.

Cardsfan111
02-16-12, 04:19 PM
Wasn't sure if this warranted a separate thread, but HOFer Gary Carter has passed away. Link (http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7583267/hall-fame-catcher-gary-carter-dies-age-57)

:rip:

Sad news. Never liked him much as a player, especially during the years when the Cards/Mets battled for the NL East. No denying, though, that he had a solid career on the field.

Deftones
02-16-12, 04:25 PM
Damn. I met Gary Carter once when I was a kid. He seemed like a nice guy.

whotony
02-16-12, 04:57 PM

I think Ed Snider has always owned the Flyers. He owned he Sixers up until last year when he sold them.

Geddlo
Carter was my first sports hero while growing up in the '80s. He had the same cancer that took my father a couple years ago.
Rest in Peace, Kid.

eXcentris
Damn that sucks. I remember him very well from his days with the Expos.

davidh777
02-16-12, 05:07 PM
Yeah, as a Cubs fan in the mid-'80s, I was scared when Carter moved to the Mets to handle that young staff. With good reason, as it turned out.

Also remember him making the tag (Brian Downing?) on Dave Parker's throw in the 1979 All-Star Game.

RIP

mcnabb
02-16-12, 05:22 PM

Comcast/Snider sold the 76ers last year to a Hedge Fund Managing Group (they needed money for their NBC/Comcast merger), but still own the Flyers while Snider is President. Comcast owns 66% of the Flyers, while Snider owns 34%, not sure what the % was for the ownership split between the 76ers and Snider, but it was probably the same when they owned it.

astrochimp
02-16-12, 05:41 PM
Loved that Expos team with Gary from when i was a kid in the late 70's.

:rip:

LurkerDan
02-16-12, 10:23 PM
Lifelong Mets fan, I can still remember how freaking excited I was when the Mets got him. And he delivered! Who knows when I'll see another Mets team as world champs, but I'll always have 1986.

RIP Kid.

davidh777
02-17-12, 09:51 AM
AJ Burnett refuses a deal to the Angels because his wife is afraid to fly? Nice of him, but...

Rob V
02-17-12, 09:56 AM
^^ Nobody flies to Pittsburgh? This guy is gutless.

mcnabb
02-17-12, 10:12 AM
AJ Burnett refuses a deal to the Angels because his wife is afraid to fly? Nice of him, but...

I read that he is from Baltimore as his family still lives there, and he doesn't want a trade with any West Coast teams. That is the only explanation why he would not want to go with a potential contender in the Angels for a Pirates teams that hasn't had a winning record since 1992?-screwy-

LurkerDan
02-17-12, 10:13 AM

Haven't heard that story, but his contract had a partial no-trade clause with certain teams designated, and the Angels were one of those teams (if I understand correctly). Regardless of his reasons, they're his reasons and he negotiated for them, and has every right to refuse to waive that clause.

Goat3001
02-17-12, 10:54 AM
I read that he is from Baltimore as his family still lives there, and he doesn't want a trade with any West Coast teams. That is the only explanation why he would not want to go with a potential contender in the Angels for a Pirates teams that hasn't had a winning record since 1992?-screwy-

He's got two rings already. I'm sure he's fine with ending his career far, far away from the spotlight.

Goat3001
02-17-12, 11:03 AM
It looks like the deal to the Pirates is pretty much done. It's easy to rip on Burnett because the last two seasons have indeed been horrible. But looking on the bright side of his Yankee days he did pitch well in the 2009 playoffs and was flat out dominant when they needed him to be in Game 2. Bottom line, we wouldn't have won the World Series that year without him. He was also great with his charity work as a Yankee and was always a big contributor to Hope Week. And for that, I hope he finds success and enjoys the rest of his career.

Mr. Cinema
02-18-12, 03:42 PM
Ventura might have been a decent pick as an adviser or a coach just to have his experience there but for manager, yeah I don't know where they're going with that. At least Ozzie had some MLB coaching experience.

Williams has sold out the future too many times now since 2005 to try and win "now" and those moves have almost always blown up in his face. I don't know how he still has his job. Yeah he was GM in 2005 for the team that won, but some of the key players on that team were already signed by his predecessor.

The team slogan this year should have just simply been "IF", because that's all it ever is these days. If Sale converts well to a starter; if Peavy stays healthy; if Rios and Dunn play to career average; if Floyd manages to pitch well in more than 3 months; if Humber can repeat his unlikely performance from 2011; if Viciedo hits everything in sight; if Thornton or Reed can close (Thornton has already failed once at this); etc.

I'll be at the home opener because it's a tradition for me but have no plans to go to any other games in April. If by some miracle they're within a few games of 1st place throughout May I'll start thinking about going again. And for comparison's sake, I went to 13 games in 2010 and 6 last year (mostly in the 1st half).
Trading Hudson to Arizona for Edwin Jackson still stings.

Tarantino
02-19-12, 09:21 AM
The Pirates pitching staff is their real weak point this year and AJ Burnett adds a veteran arm. For that, I am excited.

Mr. Cinema
02-20-12, 01:07 PM
The Pirates pitching staff is their real weak point this year and AJ Burnett adds a veteran arm. For that, I am excited.
I think Pittsburgh is a great place for Burnett to have a big bounce back season.

whotony
02-20-12, 01:58 PM
Looks like Manny is signing with the A's

Goat3001
02-20-12, 02:20 PM
I think Pittsburgh is a great place for Burnett to have a big bounce back season.

I agree. Out of the limelight, in the NL. Could be really good for him. Maybe this is the year for the Pirates. They have some nice pieces and the Brewers and Cards lost big pieces this offseason. They were hovering around .500 for awhile. If all works out for them they might finally finish over that .500 mark. Which would be a big win for that franchise.

dsa_shea
02-20-12, 05:50 PM
Lance Berkman cracks me up and I love that he is on the Cardinals and doesn't take stuff too seriously.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/02/06/12/Berkman-ready-for-first-in-2012/landing_stlcardinals.html?blockID=660624&feedID=3794

ST. LOUIS — The first thing that popped into Lance Berkman's head when he heard the news that Albert Pujols had signed with the Anaheim Angels wasn't one of disappointment or sadness or shock.

It was a bit more obvious.

"I was going to be playing first," Berkman said.

After returning to the outfield full-time for the first time in six years last year, Berkman will move back to the more familiar first base this season because of the departure of Pujols.

Berkman played the majority of time at first base from 2005-2010 with the Houston Astros, appearing there in at least 93 games each season.

"I'm ready to go play first base," Berkman said. "I love it. It's my favorite position."

Many questioned Berkman's move to the outfield when he signed with the Cardinals last offseason, wondering how a 35-year-old with knee problems would fair at a position he hadn't played regularly since 2004.

But Berkman proved the doubters wrong, playing 126 games in left and right field and committing four errors. He had a comeback season at the plate as well, hitting .301 with 31 home runs and 94 RBI.

Rewarded with another one-year contract and a nice raise to stay in St. Louis, the switch-hitter was prepared for another season in the outfield — until Pujols decided to depart for Anaheim.

Berkman told reporters prior to last season that the move to the outfield would actually be better on his knees and legs because of the lack of quick stops and starts that come with playing first base.

Apparently he wasn't being 100 percent serious.

"I was just joking with you," Berkman said of comparing first base to the outfield. "It's just different. I said this last year, outfield you have more straight line running, you have to be able to run.

"First base is a lot more lateral starts and stops, side to side, that kind of thing. A little more agility involved there. It's just different. The wear and tear is probably not going to be much worse."

With a return to the outfield in front of him last offseason, Berkman worked daily with a personal trainer to trim down and get in better shape. He did a similar program again this year, but tailored it to prepare for first base.

But the always-witty Berkman joked that the move back to first base means he could just stop worrying about his weight.

"I can just relax now," Berkman said. "I'm playing first base so I can get huge.

"The world is supposed to end this year anyway so what the heck. The Mayan Calendar is running out, that's what somebody told me, so I can eat whatever I want to."

Asked for a serious answer to how things change with the move back to the infield, Berkman said, "Nothing really changes. I think as you age, I think you learn that you need to do a little bit more and be a little bit more conscious of how you prepare for the season.

"I learned a lot about that last year, and I'm doing a lot of the same things I did. Obviously a shorter offseason, and you want to take the time to heal too. You just have to balance it and listen to your body. The bottom line is I'll be ready to go."

Berkman, who will turn 36 on Friday, had his best offensive season in three years in 2011. And despite being a year older and dealing with a position change, the veteran expects to put up the same numbers again this year.

"If I don't do that I'll be disappointed," Berkman said. "I think those were pretty close to my career averages so until I get really old, I expect myself to be able to produce that."

With Pujols gone, the Cardinals could surely use another All-Star caliber season from Berkman. Even at a new position.

BrewCrew
02-21-12, 08:44 AM
Yeah, Berkman is a easy guy to like and doesn't take things too seriously. It will be much harder to dislike the Cardinals with him still being there, the addition of Matheny and the subtraction of Larussa, Pujols and Duncan. At least Carpenter is still around to stir the pot a bit and we can always count on Molina to go nuts a couple of times a year.

B.A.
02-21-12, 09:08 AM
Cards and Molina put contract extension talks on hold. (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120219&content_id=26755746&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&partnerId=aw-8161845414514393260-996)

Yadi will be in Anaheim next year.

mcnabb
02-21-12, 09:42 AM
Looks like Manny is signing with the A's

He can continue the tradition of MVP Candidates or Possible Hall of Famers who juiced during their career and played in Oakland: McGwire, Canseco, Giambi.....

B.A.
02-21-12, 09:54 AM
Albert looks like he slimmed down for Angels camp.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/423190_10150796763558362_143473688361_12332542_258944395_n.jpg

Deftones
02-21-12, 10:09 AM
no more roids will do that to ya. ;)

Deftones
02-21-12, 10:15 AM
Looks like teams will be running on the Giants more: http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/id/7593956/spring-training-2012-san-francisco-giants-direct-buster-posey-no-longer-block-plate

B.A.
02-21-12, 10:21 AM
no more roids will do that to ya. ;)
He's afraid of breaking down.

Deftones
02-21-12, 11:26 AM
Cubs sending Chris Carpenter (not that one) to Red Sox as compensation for the Theo Epstein hire: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7597970/chicago-cubs-send-pitcher-chris-carpenter-boston-red-sox-comp-theo-epstein

CRM114
02-21-12, 01:51 PM
It looks like the deal to the Pirates is pretty much done. It's easy to rip on Burnett because the last two seasons have indeed been horrible. But looking on the bright side of his Yankee days he did pitch well in the 2009 playoffs and was flat out dominant when they needed him to be in Game 2. Bottom line, we wouldn't have won the World Series that year without him. He was also great with his charity work as a Yankee and was always a big contributor to Hope Week. And for that, I hope he finds success and enjoys the rest of his career.

Burnett lasted 3 innings in Game 5. That's pitching well?

And Burnett has to be thankful he was pitching against a retread Pedro Martinez in Game 2.

Goat3001
02-21-12, 01:57 PM
Burnett lasted 3 innings in Game 5. That's pitching well?

And Burnett has to be thankful he was pitching against a retread Pedro Martinez in Game 2.

Burnett pitched well in 3 out of 5 games he pitched in the playoffs. Regardless, the Yankees used 3 starters in that playoff run and if it weren't for Burnett they wouldn't have won the World Series that year.

And 7 innings, 1 run, 9ks is good no matter who he was up against.

davidh777
02-21-12, 03:48 PM
Cubs sending Chris Carpenter (not that one) to Red Sox as compensation for the Theo Epstein hire: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7597970/chicago-cubs-send-pitcher-chris-carpenter-boston-red-sox-comp-theo-epstein

Carpenter can hit three digits so he might amount to something. The odd thing is that both sides are including a PTBNL so it's not just a Carpenter-for-Theo thing.

N0treDom
02-22-12, 01:46 AM
Albert looks like he slimmed down for Angels camp.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/423190_10150796763558362_143473688361_12332542_258944395_n.jpg

Albert always looked slim at spring training. Midway into the season he usually fills back out and then gets thrown out on the base paths for being "a smart baserunner."

B.A.
02-22-12, 07:42 AM
Albert always looked slim at spring training. Midway into the season he usually fills back out and then gets thrown out on the base paths for being "a smart baserunner."A few of the local baseball writers talked about his in-season weight gain last year when people were starting to gripe about him being heavy. They said he has been doing it for a few years now.

davidh777
02-23-12, 01:05 AM
Yankees sign Aardsma, which could pay big dividends midseason. Coming off TJ surgery.

CRM114
02-23-12, 02:00 PM
Roy Oswalt is apparently going to pull a Clemens and sit out until midseason.

wirefan
02-23-12, 04:01 PM
Yankees sign Burt Reynolds.

Apparently this is Robinson Cano's cousin who is a 23 year old utility guy who played in the Rays and Nationals farm system but last year played for the Newark Bears (some sort of independent league team). Would have been more awesome if it was the other Burt Reynolds

BrewCrew
02-23-12, 04:10 PM
No suspension for Ryan Braun per Brewers beat writer.

ericmylad
02-23-12, 04:18 PM
No suspension for Ryan Braun per Brewers beat writer.

A little more info here: http://www.jsonline.com/newswatch/140213003.html

NORML54601
02-23-12, 04:20 PM
W00t!

JayDerek
02-23-12, 04:31 PM
Sweet!

Deftones
02-23-12, 04:53 PM
I am sure MLB is pissed about the decision. Still sounds shady as hell. He didn't win on how he tested positive but rather how the testing is done. Put a * next to all his accomplishments. :lol:

mcnabb
02-23-12, 05:17 PM
I am sure MLB is pissed about the decision. Still sounds shady as hell. He didn't win on how he tested positive but rather how the testing is done. Put a * next to all his accomplishments. :lol:

From what they are saying, there was a positive illegal substance found in the initial test, and when it was transferred to Montreal for the appeal process, it got tainted and was ruled unusable.

Maybe Bud Selig was carrying the drug test for the appeal in his carry-on and it broke when he packed his luggage too tight on the plane! :lol:

Edit: I just read that Braun's lawyer won for this reason: The Positive sample sat in the FedEx location all weekend and wasn't delivered til Monday.

wirefan
02-23-12, 05:37 PM

Braun is one lucky bastard.

He gets off because a courier thought FedEx was closed (it was a Saturday), kept the sample refrigerated (which was protocol if he can't mail the sample right away) and because he was wrong about FedEX being closed Braun argues they didn't adhere to the procedure. Why did this take months to decide if it was just an argument on a technicality?

There was no science involved, no experts, no claims of "unknowingly taking a substance" or the test being bad or the results being misinterpreted or some other medication he was taking affecting the test.

Braun says this helps restore his name? I don't get the claim that he was exonerated when he doesn't even dispute the result of the test or offer any explanation as to why a synthetic testosterone was found in his body.

Deftones
02-23-12, 05:54 PM
Braun is one lucky bastard.

He gets off because a courier thought FedEx was closed (it was a Saturday), kept the sample refrigerated (which was protocol if he can't mail the sample right away) and because he was wrong about FedEX being closed Braun argues they didn't adhere to the procedure. Why did this take months to decide if it was just an argument on a technicality?

There was no science involved, no experts, no claims of "unknowingly taking a substance" or the test being bad or the results being misinterpreted or some other medication he was taking affecting the test.

Braun says this helps restore his name? I don't get the claim that he was exonerated when he doesn't even dispute the result of the test or offer any explanation as to why a synthetic testosterone was found in his body.

Exactly. He's still a lying cheater. He just got off because of a stupid technicality. Having testosterone 20x the normal limit just proves it.

dsa_shea
02-23-12, 06:33 PM
Roy Oswalt is apparently going to pull a Clemens and sit out until someone gets desperate and is willing to meet his asking price.

Fixed it for ya!

chowderhead
02-23-12, 06:38 PM
Why are they using a testing center in Montreal Canada if the requirements are so strict for transportation? I mean there are no MLB teams in Montreal and any delays in customs renders the samples apparently suspect.
I really do blame Bud Selig on this.

mcnabb
02-23-12, 06:40 PM
Why are they using a testing center in Montreal Canada if the requirements are so strict for transportation? I mean there are no MLB teams in Montreal and any delays in customs renders the samples apparently suspect.

Remember Bud Selig is running MLB, as there have been numerous things in his tenure that leave you shaking your head!

Deftones
02-23-12, 06:57 PM
I really do blame Bud Selig on this.

It's the place that does all the testing for the Olympics, I think. It has the best testing facilities and most advanced testing.

Goat3001
02-23-12, 07:34 PM
So he cheated, lied and got away with it. Good for him, I wish I had his luck.

Talkin2Phil
02-23-12, 07:34 PM
Edit: I just read that Braun's lawyer won for this reason: The Positive sample sat in the FedEx location all weekend and wasn't delivered til Monday.

If the piss sits, you must acquits!

mcnabb
02-24-12, 05:14 AM
If the piss sits, you must acquits!

rotfl

The rumor is that before Braun found out that he won the appeal, K-Rod was driving him in his white Bronco and Braun was suicidal. Here is the 911 call, "This is KR and I'm with RB, and we OK....."

Cory02
02-24-12, 10:51 AM
This morning Dan Patrick was saying that obviously someone tampered with the sample to frame Braun. -rolleyes-

aktick
02-24-12, 11:07 AM
So he cheated, lied and got away with it. Good for him, I wish I had his luck.

Hey, he's still gotta live with people knowing he has herpes. :p

BrewCrew
02-24-12, 11:24 AM
This morning Dan Patrick was saying that obviously someone tampered with the sample to frame Braun. -rolleyes-

He also had some good guests that showed how poorly the tests were handled. It's funny how ignorant and naive the Braun haters are. :lol:

mcnabb
02-24-12, 11:52 AM
He also had some good guests that showed how poorly the tests were handled. It's funny how ignorant and naive the Braun haters are. :lol:

Oh come on, Braun can still not explain why there were high levels of Testosterone in the original test. I can't blame Braun for fighting and if MLB fucked up, thats just the way it goes. But I don't believe for one second he's 'innocent', he's just 'not guilty.' He may have not been doing Steroids or HGH, but there are so many illegal supplements out there that raise your testosterone level to get that edge and that is why Braun doesn't look like Hulk Hogan. Trust me, I played Football with alot of guys in HighSchool (and later who did in college) who took steroids, supplements, etc, and it is so prevailent in sports these days you wouldn't believe how many take them..

And I'll be consistent as JC Romero (a member of my 2008 World Series Champion Phillies) gave the same BS excuse as to why he should be innocent and he didn't know what supplements he was taking, etc. He just didn't luck out that MLB fucked up during the appeal process like Braun ;)

I guarantee Braun's numbers are down this year compared to last year as whenever some player get accused of PED's, they usually get off them for the time being so they don't get caught again (except for that idiot Manny Ramirez), and for some reason they never equal their numbers pre-steroids.

fumanstan
02-24-12, 12:42 PM

Braun haters :lol:

Deftones
02-24-12, 01:11 PM

:whofart:

Fucking cheater. Apparently he tested positive after game 1 of the NLDS. Dbacks should've been in the NLCS instead of the Brewers because of the cheater. :)

wirefan
02-24-12, 05:34 PM

People are treating this like it's a human organ being transported... it's urine.

It's not like the sample was boiled or left out in the sun. How about some science? Would leaving sealed urine out at room temperature for 44 hours cause it to show artificially high amounts of testosterone? It seems like if Braun is so sure of this and so eager to prove his innocence why not do it and show folks the effect of it sitting around? How hard would it be for him to go to a lab on his own, take a piss, have them leave it out for 44 hours and then test it to see if something similar happens?

Does leaving it at room temperature cause a synthetic substance to magically generate? From what I've seen both sides seem to agree the sample was sealed when it got to the lab, so the only apparent issue was that it was at room temperature instead of refrigerated.

I don't know if he's clean or not, but his arguments are hardly persuasive. He has every right to win the appeal as the procedure was not followed to the letter, but for some reason people are confusing that with proving innocence.

Goat3001
02-24-12, 06:15 PM
People are treating this like it's a human organ being transported... it's urine.

It's not like the sample was boiled or left out in the sun. How about some science? Would leaving sealed urine out at room temperature for 44 hours cause it to show artificially high amounts of testosterone? It seems like if Braun is so sure of this and so eager to prove his innocence why not do it and show folks the effect of it sitting around? How hard would it be for him to go to a lab on his own, take a piss, have them leave it out for 44 hours and then test it to see if something similar happens?

Why? The guy got off suspension. He doesn't give a shit about what the media and guys like me and you think. He cares about playing baseball, which he will get to do. He cares what his teammates, coaches and fellow players think... And I'd say a good 90% of them are on his side. The idea that players give a shit about what we think is a myth.

Deftones
02-24-12, 06:36 PM
Great article from ESPN about many of the details just coming out: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/OTL-Ryan-Braun/ryan-braun-defense-raises-more-questions-doping-experts

Deftones
02-26-12, 09:28 AM
Zimmerman appears to have received a 6 year extension: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7617280/ryan-zimmerman-washington-nationals-agrees-six-year-extension-sources-say

Looks like it's 6/$100 million, with a full no-trade clause: https://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/173786444509351936

Good for him. Seems like a class act and the Nats seem to be on their way to competing in that division. :up:

dvd-4-life
02-26-12, 09:40 AM
Has there been any talk of what the MLB 1913 schedule will look like? Are they going with 30 inter-league games per team?

starman9000
02-26-12, 10:36 AM
Has there been any talk of what the MLB 1913 schedule will look like?

I heard President Taft is weary of more interleague play.

Deftones
02-26-12, 10:45 AM
rotfl

dsa_shea
02-26-12, 11:46 AM
I heard President Taft is weary of more interleague play.

lol! After I read what you posted a second time it had me rolling.

Mr. Cinema
02-26-12, 11:50 AM
For anyone living in/near Baltimore, can you help me with a Camden Yards question?

We're going up to see the Nats vs Os in June, and plan to see a 7pm game. Is it better to be sitting on the 1st or 3rd base side regarding the sun? We're going to be sitting in the terrace level, but I can't remember where the sun hits in the evening.

Me007gold
02-26-12, 01:31 PM
For anyone living in/near Baltimore, can you help me with a Camden Yards question?

We're going up to see the Nats vs Os in June, and plan to see a 7pm game. Is it better to be sitting on the 1st or 3rd base side regarding the sun? We're going to be sitting in the terrace level, but I can't remember where the sun hits in the evening.

If I remember correctly(last time i was there was a couple of years ago) 1st base the sun will be in your face until it sets behind the stadium.

mcnabb
02-26-12, 05:26 PM
Has there been any talk of what the MLB 1913 schedule will look like?

I know the opening Sunday night game on ESPN features Walter Johnson vs Grover Cleveland Alexander as the Phils take on the Washington Senators. Hopefully they can liven up the ball because scoring was way down in 1912! ;)

wirefan
02-26-12, 06:42 PM
Joel Zumaya out for the year with a torn ligament in the elbow (which probably means TJ surgery if he wants to pitch again)

Guy has an electric arm, but just never could stay healthy. I wonder if this is it for him even though he is just 27. I think this is his 4th or 5th major injury.

dvd-4-life
02-26-12, 07:53 PM
I know the opening Sunday night game on ESPN features Walter Johnson vs Grover Cleveland Alexander as the Phils take on the Washington Senators. Hopefully they can liven up the ball because scoring was way down in 1912! ;)

I was hoping for a Federal League game but that league didn't start until 1914.

dvd-4-life
02-26-12, 07:56 PM
Joel Zumaya out for the year with a torn ligament in the elbow (which probably means TJ surgery if he wants to pitch again)

Guy has an electric arm, but just never could stay healthy. I wonder if this is it for him even though he is just 27. I think this is his 4th or 5th major injury.

I guess he didn't read Nick Johnson's book-How to Stay Away from the Disabled List. Nick needs to read his own book.

I don't know why certain players are always injured. Especially Brian Roberts. The guy did hit himself in the head with a baseball bat and still is collecting a paycheck.

Rob V
02-27-12, 07:48 AM

I'm bummed for Zoom. Dude was awesome for the Tigers in 2006 but it was just one injury after another here. He allegedly hurt his forearm playing too much Guitar Hero, then it was a moving accident (but the real rumor was he crashed on a 4-wheeler) then it was game injury after game injury. I hope he can come back after TJ surgery --- but I have my doubts.

B.A.
02-27-12, 08:41 AM
http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/524089136.jpeg

bunkaroo
02-27-12, 12:59 PM
Really good read about Brandon McCarthy and sabermetrics as they relate to him.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7602264/oakland-brandon-mccarthy-writing-moneyball-next-chapter-reinventing-analytics-espn-magazine

Mordred
02-27-12, 01:47 PM
http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/524089136.jpegIs that Berkman?

Goat3001
02-27-12, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's an extra from Super Troopers

B.A.
02-27-12, 01:57 PM
Is that Berkman?Hells yeah.

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3555886.1330130345!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG

dsa_shea
02-27-12, 02:41 PM
Berkman is the M-A-N!

B.A.
02-27-12, 08:12 PM
A few different rumors on Twitter that the 'Birds have signed Molina to a five-year extension.

Goat3001
02-27-12, 08:46 PM
The twitter is telling me it's 5 years in the 70-75 range. Good for him and a good signing for the Cards. :up:

Deftones
02-27-12, 08:47 PM
Shit. That doesn't bode well for the new contract for Miguel Montero. He might be too expensive for the Dbacks now. :/

davidh777
02-28-12, 02:18 AM
I'm bummed for Zoom. Dude was awesome for the Tigers in 2006 but it was just one injury after another here. He allegedly hurt his forearm playing too much Guitar Hero, then it was a moving accident (but the real rumor was he crashed on a 4-wheeler) then it was game injury after game injury. I hope he can come back after TJ surgery --- but I have my doubts.

I certainly wonder how throwing a ball that hard affects the human body, but some guys just get hurt a lot. A lot has been said about Mark Prior, but he got some pretty unusual injuries (collision on the basepaths, line drive off the elbow).

B.A.
02-28-12, 07:44 AM
The twitter is telling me it's 5 years in the 70-75 range. Good for him and a good signing for the Cards. :up:I might puke if it is over 60m.

Cardsfan111
02-28-12, 07:46 AM
I might puke if it is over 60m.

Agree with you. When I first heard 5 years, my thoughts were $50-55 million seemed reasonable.

dsa_shea
02-28-12, 09:41 AM
I don't care that they're paying him that money as Molina is and has been a staple in the Cardinals clubhouse. If they would have allowed him to walk then things could have quickly crumbled with no viable replacement in the farm system. Molina has shown improvement on the offensive side and is one of the best defensive catchers in the game if not THE best.

davidh777
02-28-12, 01:04 PM
I don't know, that sounds like a lot of scratch for someone who's showing improvement on offense. I know that's not the primary part of a catcher's game, but it's risky to throw Vernon Wells money at an incomplete player.

kefrank
02-28-12, 01:22 PM
I don't know, that sounds like a lot of scratch for someone who's showing improvement on offense. I know that's not the primary part of a catcher's game, but it's risky to throw Vernon Wells money at an incomplete player.
Yadi has hit in the .290 to .300 range for three of the last four seasons. He's an elite defensive catcher and handles a pitching staff like few others can. I'm not sure how much more "complete" a player he can be at his position. He's never going to hit for power and he shouldn't be expected to.

Also, Berkman looks like a Narc. I love it.

Cardsfan111
02-28-12, 01:53 PM
My concern with a potential extension with Molina is how quickly catchers age. Let's say a 5-year/$70 million deal is structured at 10 million/12/14/16/18. It could easily be a good value in the first year or two, but a burdensome deal when Yadi is 33-34 should he begin to decline at all.

starman9000
02-28-12, 02:11 PM
That's a bargain, Mauer still has 7/$161 million left on his. :lol: :(

kefrank
02-28-12, 02:19 PM
My concern with a potential extension with Molina is how quickly catchers age. Let's say a 5-year/$70 million deal is structured at 10 million/12/14/16/18. It could easily be a good value in the first year or two, but a burdensome deal when Yadi is 33-34 should he begin to decline at all.
To be clear, I don't think your concerns are unfounded. However, I just see it this way: Yadi has been a pretty good value up to this point and even with your hypothetical deal would be a good value for at least a couple of years. If for 2 to 3 years at the end of the extension, he's no longer a good value at that time, I'm not too bothered considering what we've gotten out of him for so many years. I know most people don't see it that way (and especially most owners), but I don't mind players being rewarded like that when they were a bargain earlier in their career.

Also, Yadi strikes me as the kind of player who would restructure with deferred money if the team needed cash to make a splash in the years at the end of his deal.

dsa_shea
02-28-12, 05:39 PM
To be clear, I don't think your concerns are unfounded. However, I just see it this way: Yadi has been a pretty good value up to this point and even with your hypothetical deal would be a good value for at least a couple of years. If for 2 to 3 years at the end of the extension, he's no longer a good value at that time, I'm not too bothered considering what we've gotten out of him for so many years. I know most people don't see it that way (and especially most owners), but I don't mind players being rewarded like that when they were a bargain earlier in their career.

Also, Yadi strikes me as the kind of player who would restructure with deferred money if the team needed cash to make a splash in the years at the end of his deal.

This! I also consider the fact that Pujols is likely to make more money during the weak years of his contract than the entirety of this contract. I do realize that we are talking half the years but even that is an advantage as the Cardinals are not locking themselves down for a decade with one player. Good luck Angels! And I mean that in the most sarcastic way possible.

B.A.
02-29-12, 09:05 AM
It's officially time to puke.

$75m over five years for Molina.

Contract won't start until next year either.

Blah.

Time to think happy thoughts.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/525832195.jpg?key=19362592&Expires=1330529155&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=Ra6TCyO-wPKUxhk~AE3etK~csLm6pK4IQxUUJz5Yz~4a1L4BnHL8I9di-Dtewd69uC0n5~ZQ~2UZbdpr5MovgDQ23Ihp4Smt7fwukNqzlpy-enhEGOfsUQGTbRE9h4LigRmdVMlK0bdtn3X6ADWoVpoBt2jbxKEP02qEnfBWlAk_

Rob V
02-29-12, 12:14 PM

Blah.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/525832195.jpg?key=19362592&Expires=1330529155&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=Ra6TCyO-wPKUxhk~AE3etK~csLm6pK4IQxUUJz5Yz~4a1L4BnHL8I9di-Dtewd69uC0n5~ZQ~2UZbdpr5MovgDQ23Ihp4Smt7fwukNqzlpy-enhEGOfsUQGTbRE9h4LigRmdVMlK0bdtn3X6ADWoVpoBt2jbxKEP02qEnfBWlAk_

Wow! Yadi is a nice catcher but I think the Cardinals are gripping a bit after losing Pujols... banking on Berkman and Yadi is not what I'd want to do coming off a WS title and losing the best player in baseball.

wildcatlh
02-29-12, 12:44 PM
This might be overly optimistic, but the contract isn't actually as bad as you might think.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/cardinals-extend-yadier-molina-at-premium-rate/

dsa_shea
02-29-12, 12:49 PM

Blah.

We could have pissed away ten years at a much steeper price for only about 5 years of production. How many great catchers are there in the game right now?

Deftones
02-29-12, 02:59 PM
Bah. Dbacks and Montero have officially broken off talks and have decided to wait until the offseason for an extension. :sad:

bunkaroo
02-29-12, 03:18 PM
Ouch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjU8UzUmFVJ8CUzTuo_U9psRvLYF?slug=ap-pirates-burnett

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP)—Pirates pitcher A.J. Burnett was struck in the face by a batted ball on Wednesday, and will fly from the team’s spring training complex to Pittsburgh to have his right eye examined by team doctors.

Burnett was injured as he hit during a bunting drill. After the ball hit the temple near his right eye, a dazed Burnett dropped into a crouch near home plate. Players who had gathered to watch the drill gasped loudly then went quiet as Burnett sagged to his knee. As he was examined by an athletic trainer, Burnett joked, “Where did the bone go?”

Holding a towel against his face, Burnett was helped off the field. He left the complex without speaking to reporters. The Pirates have released no information regarding the exact nature of Burnett’s injury.

The Pirates acquired Burnett, 35, on the eve of spring training in a three-player trade with the New York Yankees. Before the injury, Burnett was expected to be the Pirates’ starter on Opening Day.

After signing an $82.5 million, five-year contract, Burnett helped the Yankees to their 27th World Series title in 2009. Then he slumped to a 21-26 record with a 5.20 ERA over the following two seasons. He led the major leagues with 25 wild pitches last year and allowed a career-high 31 homers.

Pittsburgh is paying just $13 million of Burnett’s salary: $5 million this year and $8 million in 2013. The Yankees are paying the rest.

He is a 13-year veteran.

B.A.
02-29-12, 03:25 PM
Bah. Dbacks and Montero have officially broken off talks and have decided to wait until the offseason for an extension. :sad:
Sorry.

They ran up the price - just like Holliday.

Deftones
02-29-12, 04:05 PM
Yep. Apparently the team and Montero are way off in terms of where they want to be. I hope they get a deal locked up, but if they don't, the team better focus all their efforts to shore up Kennedy and Hudson to extensions.

Goat3001
02-29-12, 04:26 PM
Ouch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjU8UzUmFVJ8CUzTuo_U9psRvLYF?slug=ap-pirates-burnett

Rest assured, it can only help his pitching.

wirefan
02-29-12, 04:36 PM
Yep. Apparently the team and Montero are way off in terms of where they want to be. I hope they get a deal locked up, but if they don't, the team better focus all their efforts to shore up Kennedy and Hudson to extensions.

The Yankees apparently talked to Russell Martin about a 3yr/21mil deal... somehow I think that's not going to get it done now (he had already turned it down prior to the Molina deal)

It's not just the per year... giving a 5 year contract to a catcher who will be on the wrong side of 30 when it starts is not good and has at least a decent chance of blowing up, Montero, Martin and Napoli had to be popping champagne corks after hearing about Molina's deal.

Mr. Cinema
02-29-12, 05:03 PM
It'd be nice if Hudson were still with the Sox. :(

The D'backs have a pretty solid rotation that isn't getting alot of press.

Deftones
02-29-12, 05:49 PM
It'd be nice if Hudson were still with the Sox. :(

The D'backs have a pretty solid rotation that isn't getting alot of press.

They are getting press, just not a lot. Buster Olney said they should be one of the favorites (outside of the Phils) to win the NL this year. Another ESPN guy already picked them to be in the WS.

The scary thing is they've got 3 guys in the minors (Bradley, Bauer, Skaggs) who all project out to be #1 starters. Get those guys up and if you still have Kennedy and Hudson, the rotation will be unreal.

davidh777
02-29-12, 06:08 PM
They are getting press, just not a lot. Buster Olney said they should be one of the favorites (outside of the Phils) to win the NL this year. Another ESPN guy already picked them to be in the WS.

The scary thing is they've got 3 guys in the minors (Bradley, Bauer, Skaggs) who all project out to be #1 starters. Get those guys up and if you still have Kennedy and Hudson, the rotation will be unreal.

Watching an organization develop is what makes baseball awesome

Tarantino
02-29-12, 07:24 PM
Watching an organization develop is what makes baseball awesome until they are traded to the Yankees or Red Sox mid-season.

Fixed.

mcnabb
03-01-12, 06:04 AM
Bud Selig finalized for the 2012 season that we will have 2 more wildcard teams that play the other 2 wildcard teams in a play-in game. Now we are up to 10 teams for the playoffs, only 6 more and we can be like the NHL and NBA where the regular season is almost irrelevant!

Ken Rosenthal stated yesterday, "Make no mistake, this is Bud Selig's baby."

Deftones
03-01-12, 07:54 AM
Watching an organization develop is what makes baseball awesome

:up:

Deftones
03-01-12, 07:55 AM
Bud Selig finalized for the 2012 season that we will have 2 more wildcard teams that play the other 2 wildcard teams in a play-in game. Now we are up to 10 teams for the playoffs, only 6 more and we can be like the NHL and NBA where the regular season is almost irrelevant!

Ken Rosenthal stated yesterday, "Make no mistake, this is Bud Selig's baby."

the biggest upside I see to this is if you are a division winner. Both wildcard teams might burn their ace pitcher just to get into the playoffs, so it might provide an additional advantage to those division winners.

mcnabb
03-01-12, 08:12 AM
the biggest upside I see to this is if you are a division winner. Both wildcard teams might burn their ace pitcher just to get into the playoffs, so it might provide an additional advantage to those division winners.

I agree with you, but I feel that this is a stepping stone for a 16 team tournament like the NBA and NHL in years to come. More playoff rounds = more $$$$, and these owners can't resist.

It wouldn't suprise me if Selig did away with divisions in the next 5-10 years and just had a 15 team NL and 15 team AL and the top 8 in each league make the playoffs. Billy Ripken proposed the EXACT scenario last night but with 5 teams (for now) from each league making the playoffs on MLB Network.

I guess that is why I am so adament against any playoff expansion, as it will eventually lead to more playoff expansion down the road simply because of the TV revenue. From a business point of view, how can you argue with it?

Cardsfan111
03-01-12, 08:37 AM
I don't see any addiitional playoff expansion on the horizon. Part of the reason for this is the necessity to finish the postseason before the calendar hits November. There's no way to squeeze any more playoff games in. Unless, you shorten the regular season or play more doubleheaders. Neither of which I see happening.

I don't mind the additional 2 wild card teams. It gives an extra advantage to the division winners as mentioned above, while at the same time creating a "penalty" for not winning your division. I don't think anything can match the drama that came with the last day of the season in 2011, but having 2 "winner advances-loser goes home" games to begin the postseason should be fun.

mcnabb
03-01-12, 09:19 AM
I don't see any addiitional playoff expansion on the horizon. Part of the reason for this is the necessity to finish the postseason before the calendar hits November. There's no way to squeeze any more playoff games in. Unless, you shorten the regular season or play more doubleheaders. Neither of which I see happening.

I don't mind the additional 2 wild card teams. It gives an extra advantage to the division winners as mentioned above, while at the same time creating a "penalty" for not winning your division. I don't think anything can match the drama that came with the last day of the season in 2011, but having 2 "winner advances-loser goes home" games to begin the postseason should be fun.

They could have just made the division series best of 7, as its harder to upset a team in 7 games rather then 5. I could definitely see a 16 team playoff tournament down the road, as that playoff money would offset the shorter regular season ticket loss from owners. I could see them playing a 150 game schedule, ending around mid-September and you could still get 4 rounds in by Halloween.

With the rise of playoff TV revenue in all sports, I wouldn't be suprised if the NFL adds another wildcard game in each league, and NBA and NHL have some sort of play in game for teams that finish from 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th (resembling March Madness play-in games.) There is just too much money to be made by not expanding the playoffs in all leagues, because sports is the only DVR-proof program on TV. The Networks will pay out anything to get live sports programming on their network because of this.

Funkpie
03-01-12, 09:54 AM
The sudden death scenario puts a premium on winning your Division, thereby making the regular season that much more important, IMO. Although not perfect, I don't mind it, since it theoretically should weaken the wild card winner in that the team's staff ace will likely be spent in the sudden death game. I think that is fair since the current structure does not necessarily pit the team with the best record vs. the team that wins the wild card.

B.A.
03-01-12, 09:56 AM
The Wild Card teams should be at a disadvantage since they didn't win their division.

If they burn up their ace in the play-in game - tough shit.

Goat3001
03-01-12, 10:42 AM
I like it...

What happened on the last day of the regular season last year was a once in 25 years kind of thing. Adding the two wild card teams makes for the possibility of an epic end to the season every year. Teams will fight for the division thus making games between a division leader and wild card team at the end of the season meaningful and of course there is the chance of having a great one game playoff game every year.

They could have just made the division series best of 7, as its harder to upset a team in 7 games rather then 5.

That's not the point since the wild card team isn't always worse than the division winner. The point is that the wild card team doesn't care about the disadvantage of being a WC team (no HFA) so they don't go for the division. Now the disadvantage is very big so they won't settle.

LurkerDan
03-01-12, 11:18 AM
Not sure I like more playoff teams, but I like that a team can't coast just because it has a "playoff spot" locked up, that team needs to win its division. The AL East has had a few years recently where it was obvious that the wild card was coming from that division, and it took some suspense out of it. Now, each team will have to fight tooth and nail to win the division. That I like.

starman9000
03-01-12, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I understand the fear of this being a gateway to too many playoff teams, but I still like it.

mcnabb
03-01-12, 11:56 AM
That's not the point since the wild card team isn't always worse than the division winner. The point is that the wild card team doesn't care about the disadvantage of being a WC team (no HFA) so they don't go for the division. Now the disadvantage is very big so they won't settle.

Hence why I have never been a fan of the wildcard, because right now you are putting a band-aid just to stop a problem that was created by the wildcard system ;)

The problem you will encounter in some years like 2010: Rays/Yanks fighting for the division, and the RedSox are so far out of the division title, yet so far ahead of the wildcard, they know they will be #2 wildcard a week in advance and have their ace ready for the play-in game and team well rested.

Rays/Yanks have to decide in the final: If we go for the division and burn our ace that last Sunday to clinch, and we lose, then we have to play a play-in game against a team with 7-10 less wins sitting there waiting for us for the past week with their ace and pitching staff all set up for the playoffs after that. So the advantage may go to the #2 wild card team over the #1 wildcard team, and then you will hear cries to add a best of 3 or best of 5 round because it wasn't fair that a 95 win team in Tampa is playing against a rested 89 win team in RedSox.

It will never end..............:lol:

davidh777
03-01-12, 12:22 PM
Fixed.

Unfortunately I can't really argue that point

Goat3001
03-01-12, 12:27 PM
Hence why I have never been a fan of the wildcard, because right now you are putting a band-aid just to stop a problem that was created by the wildcard system ;)

The problem you will encounter in some years like 2010: Rays/Yanks fighting for the division, and the RedSox are so far out of the division title, yet so far ahead of the wildcard, they know they will be #2 wildcard a week in advance and have their ace ready for the play-in game and team well rested.

Rays/Yanks have to decide in the final: If we go for the division and burn our ace that last Sunday to clinch, and we lose, then we have to play a play-in game against a team with 7-10 less wins sitting there waiting for us for the past week with their ace and pitching staff all set up for the playoffs after that. So the advantage may go to the #2 wild card team over the #1 wildcard team, and then you will hear cries to add a best of 3 or best of 5 round because it wasn't fair that a 95 win team in Tampa is playing against a rested 89 win team in RedSox.

It will never end..............:lol:

They were 1 game up as the second wild card team. They couldn't really rest up like you said they would. They would in fact have been fighting the White Sox for the second wild card spot.

Not that the situation you draw up is ridiculous... it's just not something that will come up all the time.

mcnabb
03-01-12, 01:33 PM
Just wanted to ask you guys: How would you feel if they had a best of 3 series instead of a 1 game play-in game. Rosenthal reported that many owners wanted best of 3, but Selig prevailed for now because he wanted a play-in game.

I can live with a play-in game because you won't have the Division Winners sitting idle too long, but I fear if they goto a best of 3 (many owners want that so one game doesn't decide a 162 game season and more TV money, more ticket revenue, etc), then you will have division winners sitting idle for almost a week. Baseball is all about repetition and TOO much time off can hurt a team because they could be rusty for the Division round.

This is why I worry when they start expanding things, it opens a cans of worms for more expansion.....

dvd-4-life
03-01-12, 02:33 PM
What I don't like about the expanded playoffs is that it gives mediocre teams a chance at being World Champions. The White Sox could back door it into the playoffs with an 81-81 record,while the Tigers might finish at 108-54 and they basically are in the same boat.

WallyOPD
03-01-12, 02:41 PM
:lol: In what world is the 5th best record a .500 winning percentage?

dvd-4-life
03-01-12, 02:48 PM

Acouple of years ago,the Seattle Seahawks ranked fourth at 7-9(finished first). I think the first place team in the NHL Southeast has a losing record and gets ranked ahead of teams with better records because they are a first place team.

Goat3001
03-01-12, 02:58 PM
Acouple of years ago,the Seattle Seahawks ranked fourth at 7-9(finished first). I think the first place team in the NHL Southeast has a losing record and gets ranked ahead of teams with better records because they are a first place team.

You know this is the MLB thread, right?

mcnabb
03-01-12, 03:05 PM

The 2006 Cardinals actually won the World Series with a record 83-79. Someone can correct me but that is the worst record of any World Series winner?

Cardsfan111
03-01-12, 03:08 PM
The 2006 Cardinals actually won the World Series with a record 83-79. Someone can correct me but that is the worst record of any World Series winner?

83-78, thank you very much. :D

And a division winner!

WallyOPD
03-01-12, 03:10 PM

Yes, but they got in as a division champ, not a wild card team. The 2nd wild card team that year would have been the Phillies at 85-77.

dvd-4-life
03-01-12, 03:49 PM
83-78, thank you very much. :D

And a division winner!

I think the 1973 Mets were 82-79 and won the eastern division.

wirefan
03-01-12, 04:42 PM

Of course what if you are a division winner who's in a battle down the stretch and burn your top 3 pitchers to win the division... You might be the 2 seed and would get a 3 seed (with a worse record) in a 5 game series and not have your top 2 pitchers available for game 1, maybe game 2 in a 5 game series.

You also can have scenarios where the #2 wildcard has things locked up and could conceivably face a team with a better record who might have to go with their #4 starter.

Two years ago the Braves would have been playing for nothing and setting up their ace to go against the loser of SanDiego /San Fran race, who might have had to throw their #3 or 4 pitcher in the play-in game. The loser of the Yankees and Rays (who had the two best records in the AL that year) , might have had to throw their 4th starter against a team they finished 7 games ahead of.

wirefan
03-01-12, 06:27 PM
Grady Sizemore expected to miss 8-12 weeks after undergoing minor surgery on his back.

And there were some folks in the media wondering why he didn't get any multi-year offers in FA :lol:

wildcatlh
03-02-12, 01:32 PM
And Bud Selig has completely outdone himself. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The Division series, apparently just for 2012, are going to a 2-3 format. So the higher seed is going to have to play the first two games on the road. This is apparently to remove one (travel) day from the schedule so they can fit in the new Wild Card play-in game.

HOW IN THE WORLD DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?

CRM114
03-02-12, 01:35 PM
Why do they need to keep screwing with something that seems to be working fine?

B.A.
03-02-12, 01:37 PM
And Bud Selig has completely outdone himself. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The Division series, apparently just for 2012, are going to a 2-3 format. So the higher seed is going to have to play the first two games on the road. This is apparently to remove one (travel) day from the schedule so they can fit in the new Wild Card play-in game.

HOW IN THE WORLD DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?
Really?

What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?

starman9000
03-02-12, 01:41 PM
That is pretty stupid.

Deftones
03-02-12, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I just saw the change in format. I like the extra day of rest, but giving the "away" team the 1st games is ridiculous. :lol:

Cardsfan111
03-02-12, 02:43 PM
Another change in the new format: Division winners can now play teams from their own division in the LDS. For example, if the Blue Jays win the WC "play-in" game, they could then face the division champion Orioles in the LDS.

Please note: this is not my AL East prediction for 2012. :D

whotony
03-02-12, 03:06 PM
That first round five game series should only give one home game to the lower seed.

Mordred
03-02-12, 03:15 PM
I realize this will get lost in all the expanded Wild Card coverage, but have you guys been hearing about the Jairo Beras signing/scandal? Apparently he's the top international talent and would have commanded a hefty bidding war if he were 17, but his documentation submitted to MLB and every team shows him as 16 which means no team can negotiate with him until July 2nd, at which point his contract would be subject to the new CBA. Except that Texas has his really True and Official birth certificate which shows that he's actually 17... so they signed him on the 29th for a 4.5 million signing bonus, to which every other team promptly threw a fit and MLB launched an investigation.

Apparently the rules state that a player must furnish his true age when signing, so technically he and the Rangers did nothing wrong... except that if he and his agent were intentionally deceiving everybody he'll still probably have to forfeit a year and the contract will be voided by MLB.

Sounds like the only way Texas gets to keep him without Selig having a mutiny on his hands is if Beras honestly didn't know when he was born and somehow discovered the true birth certificate in the last week or two. You can all guess how likely that scenario is.

It's an interesting situation, no matter what happens. More information here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_jairo_beras_rangers_age_discrepancy_022912
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/02/rangers-surprise-signing-draws-industry-scrutiny/
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16139

Goat3001
03-02-12, 04:09 PM
That first round five game series should only give one home game to the lower seed.

I agree. In the long run it should 2-1-2.

This 2-3 thing is retarded, thankfully it's only one year. I just don't get why they can't do the usual 2-2-1 and just not have an off day between games 2 and 3. If the teams have to travel cross country then just have game 2 be an afternoon game.

dvd-4-life
03-02-12, 05:55 PM
What would happen if Tampa,Yankees and Red Sox finish in a three way tie(92-70) for first? Would they play A vs B,then (A vs B) winner vs C and then the losers of both games would play the one game wild card game? But then,what would happen if other teams in other divisions finished 92-70? Since those extra games count as regular season games,wouldn't that eliminate the losers of the two extra games because the other teams at 92-70 would have a higher winning pct. than the 2 other teams at 92-71.

wirefan
03-02-12, 07:02 PM
I realize this will get lost in all the expanded Wild Card coverage, but have you guys been hearing about the Jairo Beras signing/scandal? Apparently he's the top international talent and would have commanded a hefty bidding war if he were 17, but his documentation submitted to MLB and every team shows him as 16 which means no team can negotiate with him until July 2nd, at which point his contract would be subject to the new CBA. Except that Texas has his really True and Official birth certificate which shows that he's actually 17... so they signed him on the 29th for a 4.5 million signing bonus, to which every other team promptly threw a fit and MLB launched an investigation.

Apparently the rules state that a player must furnish his true age when signing, so technically he and the Rangers did nothing wrong... except that if he and his agent were intentionally deceiving everybody he'll still probably have to forfeit a year and the contract will be voided by MLB.

Sounds like the only way Texas gets to keep him without Selig having a mutiny on his hands is if Beras honestly didn't know when he was born and somehow discovered the true birth certificate in the last week or two. You can all guess how likely that scenario is.

It's an interesting situation, no matter what happens. More information here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_jairo_beras_rangers_age_discrepancy_022912
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/02/rangers-surprise-signing-draws-industry-scrutiny/
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16139

The guy was 16... until the new CBA rules kicked in and he would be subject to the international spending limits and now he's 17 and can sign before the rules kick in?

He's been providing information to MLB and other teams that he's 16; he's apparently played in international tournaments with that same birth date and now that he can get a large signing bonus (that he likely won't be able to get next year when the new CBA rules kick in), he's "really" 17 years old?

He was lying about his age at some point... don't see how MLB can let this signing go through. At this point you have to wonder if he would even get a US work visa given the age discrepancies (they've been refusing to give visas to folks who have misrepresented their age). This isn't about a mutiny or Selig caving in to other teams, it's about Selig not allowing a prospect to lie about his age to manipulate the system.

Kind of funny that this is a rare circumstance where a prospect is likely lying about his age to appear older instead of younger, so he can get a bigger payday. And if he's telling the truth now, he was lying about his age previously to increase his prospect value (which is also against the rules and the more typical scenario in the past). In either scenario he was misrepresenting his age at some point.

PopcornTreeCt
03-02-12, 10:32 PM
I'm happy. Now the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays can all make it.

dsa_shea
03-02-12, 10:53 PM
I'm happy. Now the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays can all make it.

Oh joy!

mcnabb
03-03-12, 05:41 AM
It's funny how everyone loved this new wildcard change a day ago, but the devil is in the details, and why would anyone trust Bud Selig to do anything sane ;)

As for the 2-3 format, this was used in the LCS series from 1969-84, as they just alternated each year between the East and West Division, and it didn't matter who had the better regular season record.

The one problem with adding more and more playoff teams is the risk of rainouts, and now because the schedule is so compacted, you are looking at nightmare scenarios if you have a bad October of weather.

But everyone in sports wants as many teams to make the playoffs anymore, as god forbid we only get the 'elite' teams to play, but don't worry as Mr. Selig's genius will prevail......

Mordred
03-03-12, 10:44 AM
The guy was 16... until the new CBA rules kicked in and he would be subject to the international spending limits and now he's 17 and can sign before the rules kick in?

He's been providing information to MLB and other teams that he's 16; he's apparently played in international tournaments with that same birth date and now that he can get a large signing bonus (that he likely won't be able to get next year when the new CBA rules kick in), he's "really" 17 years old?

He was lying about his age at some point... don't see how MLB can let this signing go through. At this point you have to wonder if he would even get a US work visa given the age discrepancies (they've been refusing to give visas to folks who have misrepresented their age). This isn't about a mutiny or Selig caving in to other teams, it's about Selig not allowing a prospect to lie about his age to manipulate the system.

Kind of funny that this is a rare circumstance where a prospect is likely lying about his age to appear older instead of younger, so he can get a bigger payday. And if he's telling the truth now, he was lying about his age previously to increase his prospect value (which is also against the rules and the more typical scenario in the past). In either scenario he was misrepresenting his age at some point.Yeah, probably the only time a prospect has lied to appear older. His agent is an idiot for coming up with this scheme and expecting nobody to notice. My guess is that Texas knew there was almost no chance this was going to go through, but they aren't out anything by signing him and having it voided later. It probably looks a little shady on there part too, but I can't see MLB punishing Texas in any way for this.

davidh777
03-03-12, 12:19 PM
Neal Cotts is in Rangers camp :eek:

I remember the Cubs made a terrible trade for him. I don't even want to look it up.

EDIT: Couldn't help looking it up. They got him for Aardsma, which wasn't so bad in retrospect since Aardsma bounced around some more before establishing himself.

Mr. Cinema
03-03-12, 12:44 PM
The Padres actually decide to sign an extension with one of their good players. Cameron Maybin gets a new 5 year, $25 million deal. He's now signed through 2017, and they have a club option in year 6.

davidh777
03-05-12, 10:36 AM
I know it's only ST, but rotfl Teheran

wirefan
03-05-12, 05:24 PM
Pirates extend McCutchen for 6 years 51.5 mil (with a 7th year club option for 14.75mil). The deal covers 4 pre-free agency years and buys out 2 free agent years.

Seems like a very good deal for the Pirates.

CRM114
03-06-12, 08:32 AM
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~schough/phillies/93Dude.jpg

The Dude gets 3 years (http://www.mcall.com/sports/baseball/mc-lenny-dykstra-sentenced-0305-20120305,0,3178930.story) in prison.

Cardsfan111
03-06-12, 08:39 AM
^ That article referred to Dykstra as a financial guru. I had never heard him called that before.

CRM114
03-06-12, 09:19 AM
He was some sort of financial guy during the boom times. Then it all fell apart because he's an idiot who thought he was a financial guy.

whotony
03-06-12, 09:43 AM
That guru stuff was revealed to be a scam on a show like 60 minutes or 20/20.

It's not shocking anymore as this has been going for years now but this guy was a superhero in Philly for a few years in the early 90's.

If not for a bad pitch in the '93 series he could have been MVP.

Tarantino
03-06-12, 09:53 AM
See ya, Nails.

Sweet Baby James
03-06-12, 10:16 AM
See ya, Nails.

I'm glad to see that asshole headed to the clink. I personally know a few people that he has stiffed over the last few years.

davidh777
03-06-12, 02:00 PM
Carlos Guillen announces his retirement in Mariners camp

mcnabb
03-07-12, 06:04 AM
Tom Verducci has a column about how he thinks the DH will be implemented in the NL in the next 5-10 years, especially since interleague play will be played all season in 2013 when Astros move to AL West. He said this is coming right from Selig as Selig wants to put his stamp on the game before he retires.

As a Phillies fan who grew up my whole life watching NL ball, the DH fucking blows and takes all the strategy out of the game. FUCK YOU BUD!

dvd-4-life
03-07-12, 06:23 AM
Tom Verducci has a column about how he thinks the DH will be implemented in the NL in the next 5-10 years, especially since interleague play will be played all season in 2013 when Astros move to AL West. He said this is coming right from Selig as Selig wants to put his stamp on the game before he retires.

As a Phillies fan who grew up my whole life watching NL ball, the DH fucking blows and takes all the strategy out of the game. FUCK YOU BUD!

Every baseball league in the world(there may be one or two that doesn't) has the DH. What I don't like is the way AL managers manage. With the DH,there is no need to have 15 pitching changes in the game. If the NL gets the DH,the game will become a joke with managers over-managing,making pitching change after pitching change.

CRM114
03-07-12, 09:21 AM
Every baseball league in the world(there may be one or two that doesn't) has the DH.

So.

Baseball wasn't meant to have a DH and its a bastardization of the game. If anything, Selig should get rid of it altogether.

wildcatlh
03-07-12, 09:29 AM
So.

Baseball wasn't meant to have a DH and its a bastardization of the game. If anything, Selig should get rid of it altogether.

MLBPA would never, ever allow that. They'd kill to have the DH in both leagues.

CRM114
03-07-12, 09:30 AM
Too bad.

Mordred
03-07-12, 12:20 PM
Keep everything the same. The asymmetry of the leagues is just another thing that makes MLB cool. I figured since the balanced leagues will require year-long interleague play this might happen, but it still sucks.

Mordred
03-07-12, 12:24 PM
BTW, it's Yu Darvish Day... or Rangers Fan Christmas. Fox Sports is airing the game delayed, but of course not in Austin. Guess I'll have to wait until the regular season to see his stuff live... pretending for a moment that any of those games are televised in Austin.

Edit: Apparently some of the first two innings will be streamed live here: http://espn.go.com/dallas/video/clip?id=6898354

Mordred
03-07-12, 02:45 PM
Yu's finally tally: 3 Ks, 0 runs, 2 Hits: one of them crushed for a double and one PADMY (Past a Diving Michael Young), and a great job fielding a high come-backer to start off a rundown. 26 strikes on 36 pitches, all while pitching from the stretch to work on his mechanics. He showed a 95mph fastball and a 69mph curve.

He looked absolutely filthy out there:

http://www.bbtia.com/storage/gifs/darvish030712-1.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1331152302079p

dvd-4-life
03-07-12, 04:25 PM
Getting back to the DH,a NL GM stated that the NL is at a disadvantage against the AL because they must use bench players as their DH. LOL I guess none of them are capable of grabbing a bat and swinging at a pitch. Thats sad. I guess the AL isn't at a disadvantage when they play by NL rules because their pitchers aren't used to hitting and often get injured while trying to bat.

davidh777
03-07-12, 04:40 PM
Chone Figgins beat out a grounder for his first hit of the spring! :eek:

Also,

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thehotstoneleague/2017687525_top_of_2012_mlb_draft_jolted_b.html

March 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

2012 MLB draft jolted by elbow injury to top prospect

Posted by Larry Stone

After drafting second overall in both 2009 and 2011, the Mariners once again are picking near the top of the MLB draft in 2012 -- another manifestation of how poorly things have gone for them of late. They will be selecting third this June, the fifth time in eight years they will have a top five pick. Those picks have netted them Jeff Clement (oops), Brandon Morrow (who turned into Brandon League; I promise to not even mention Tim Lincecum), Dustin Ackley (so far, so good) and Danny Hultzen (ditto).

Here is the draft order for the first five picks in 2012:

1, Astros
2, Twins
3, Mariners
4, Orioles
5, Royals.

Well, the draft world received quite a jolt this week with news out of Southern California that RHP Lucas Giolito, the consensus top high school pitching prospect in the draft, sprained the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow on Tuesday. He'll be sidelined for six to 10 weeks, and his coach at Harvard-Westlake HS in Studio City, Calif., told the Los Angeles Times, "He's probably done for the season."

Giolito is 6-foot-6, 230 pounds and has signed with UCLA, but he stood to be a very high draft pick. In fact, Baseball America and ESPN's Keith Law both ranked him as the No. 2 prospect in the draft (behind Stanford right-hander Mark Appel, in Baseball America's case). There has even been some talk that he is a special enough talent to go No. 1 overall. Giolito had caused a great deal of excitement last week, in his season debut, by hitting 100 mph on the radar gun, which prep pitchers almost never do this early in the season*. (Harvard-Westlake had quite a staff -- senior left-hander Max Fried is a top 15 prospect himself).

*I'm no expert in kinesiology, but I've got to wonder how much of a strain it is on a teen-aged arm to throw with that kind of velocity. The repeated injuries to Joel Zumaya, who was clocked at 104 mph and routinely exceeded 100 mph in his prime, and fireballer Stephen Strasburg's Tommy John surgery last year are other reminders that there can be a heavy price to pay for lighting up the radar gun in triple digits. Although, granted, pitchers of lesser velocity get sore arms, too -- but I don't think most arms are built to throw 100 on a consistent basis.

The injury will obviously affect Giolito's stock in the draft, which is about 12 weeks away. No surgery is necessary, but whether or not teams will now be willing to go for him in the top of the draft will be hotly debated.

Baseball America's top 5 prospects are Appel, Giolito, high school outfielder Byron Buxton (Baxley, Georgia), Arizona State shortstop Deven Marrero, and Florida catcher Mike Zunino. Law goes Buxton, Giolito, Appel, Marrero and LSU right-handed pitcher Kevin Gausman, with Zunino seventh.

Mikael79
03-07-12, 09:20 PM
Man, I love this MLB Network All-Audio stuff! I wish I was given this option for all games.

whotony
03-07-12, 09:21 PM
Man, I love this MLB Network All-Audio stuff! I wish I was given this option for all games.

What are you talking about?

Mikael79
03-07-12, 09:27 PM
What are you talking about?

For today's CLE-ARI game, MLB Network had 60 different microphones in the field, on players, coaches, etc. The commentary is held to a very small amount, as the main focus is on hearing the on-field chatter, sounds of the ballpark, and all of the other great sounds of baseball.

EDIT: I didn't see it earlier today, so I'm watching the replay on right now.

whotony
03-07-12, 09:37 PM
MLB tv offers something like that.
Last year for the last month it was cheap so I signed up for it. At least watching g using the ps3 one sound option was ambient ballpark sounds.

NFL offered that one time about 25 years ago during a prime time game. I think one team was the Dolphins.
No announcers all audio was stadium sounds and all info was on screen graphics.

wildcatlh
03-07-12, 09:50 PM
MLB tv offers something like that.
Last year for the last month it was cheap so I signed up for it. At least watching g using the ps3 one sound option was ambient ballpark sounds.

NFL offered that one time about 25 years ago during a prime time game. I think one team was the Dolphins.
No announcers all audio was stadium sounds and all info was on screen graphics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5906858

whotony
03-07-12, 09:56 PM
Yep that was it. Thirty two years ago not 25. Hard to believe.

davidh777
03-07-12, 10:56 PM
(Suddenly feels very old)

dvd-4-life
03-09-12, 10:44 AM
What happens on MLB Game Day Audio if there is a rain delay? Does it go blank and you have no idea when the game restarts? What about archived games-do they leave in the blank spaces on rain delays? Don't know why on the archived games that they can't eliminate the blank spots.

Deftones
03-12-12, 09:26 PM
I can't wait to see this kid pitch in the bigs: http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/id/7676345/arizona-diamondbacks-trevor-bauer-quite-unique

davidh777
03-16-12, 01:21 AM
Cubs send their PTBNL to the Red Sox in the Epstein deal and await a PTBNL from Boston before this thing is finally done.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/aaron-kurcz-goes-to-red-sox-to-complete-theo-epstein-compensation/

Aaron Kurcz goes to Red Sox to complete Theo Epstein compensation package

Matthew Pouliot

Mar 15, 2012, 6:46 PM EDT

Already having picked up Chris Carpenter, the Red Sox have now acquired fellow right-hander Aaron Kurcz from the Cubs as the player to be named in the Theo Epstein compensation package.

This comes almost five months after Epstein left the Red Sox to become the Cubs’ president of baseball operations. The Red Sox still owe the Cubs a player as part of the deal.

Kurcz, 21, was an 11th-round pick in the 2010 draft. He spent the entire 2011 season at high-A Daytona, finishing with a 3.28 ERA and a 91/34 K/BB ratio in 82 1/3 innings. Initially strictly a reliever, he made 12 starts last season with fine results. Still, he didn’t rate a mention in Baseball America’s top 30 Cubs prospects.

Kurcz figures to open this season in Double-A, though whether he’ll be a starter or a reliever is unclear. Carpenter is likely to start off in the bullpen at Triple-A Pawtucket.

CRM114
03-16-12, 10:49 AM
The D-Train makes it a short stop in Philadelphia.

Phillies release lefthander Dontrelle Willis (http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-03-16/dontrelle-willis-released-phillies-d-train-cut)

raven56706
03-16-12, 12:27 PM
Yankees resign Andy Pettitte to a minor league deal... wow!

mcnabb
03-16-12, 12:37 PM

Maybe if he tests positive for PED's again, he can use the 'Ryan Braun Tampering' defense this time.

;)

In all seriousness, Pettitte was one of the few Yankees I ever liked in the past 20 years.

Goat3001
03-16-12, 01:01 PM

Really surprised by that news. Pettitte apparently won't be ready to go right out of the gate. My feeling is that he'll take some time to get back in shape and by mid to late May he'll be back up and will take over if someone is struggling.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

But always good to have Andy. :up:

Deftones
03-16-12, 01:43 PM
This is why spring training is awesome: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/two-pitchers-one-pair-pants-everett-teaford-tim-162734930.html

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/rDr1ah1Gwr4PHa52bcKZOg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusmlbexperts/broxtonpants2.jpg

Goat3001
03-16-12, 01:49 PM
Where did they get CC Sabathias pants?

Mr. Cinema
03-18-12, 06:00 PM
Not surprising, but the Nats optioned Harper to AAA today. He's going to play CF.

This was expected, as I believe it delays his arbitration and free agency a year. So he could be called up June 1st. I'm hoping that's the case as I'll be in Baltimore later that month to see the Nats.

wirefan
03-19-12, 01:31 AM
^ It should pretty easily delay FA (I don't even think they need to keep him down much more than a month for that).

For the extra arbitration, I think they lowered the bar on getting Super Two status (a 4th arbitration year) in the new CBA, so it might mean a bit longer than the typical early June callup.

I would not be surprised to see them keeping him down longer... he actually struggled when he was called up to AA last year (.725 OPS).... while he was ridiculously young for the level, top prospects at that level are typically .850-.900+ (depending a bit on position). People also I think forget he's a converted catcher, so he could probably also use the extra time in the OF.

starman9000
03-19-12, 10:32 AM
After watching Tsuyoshi Nishioka hit and field terribly for 68 games last season and look even worse this spring the Twins announced that they’re sending him to Triple-A with two years and $6.25 million remaining on his contract....

What makes the decision to invest $14 million and a starting job in Nishioka last offseason even worse is that the Twins dumped J.J. Hardy to make room for him in the budget and on the field. And then Hardy, who was traded to Baltimore for a pair of mediocre minor-league relievers, smacked 30 homers for the Orioles and signed a three-year, $22 million extension.

And now Nishioka will be the highest-paid player–and most likely nowhere near the best player–in the International League.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/twins-send-tsuyoshi-nishioka-to-triple-a-with-two-years-and-6-million-left-on-contract/

:yack:

CRM114
03-19-12, 11:43 AM
Now Chase Utley out for the season opener and beyond. This does not sound good at all.

Chase Utley doubtful for opener

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Chase Utley is doubtful for Opening Day because of problems with both knees.

That assessment comes Monday from general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. At first, the five-time All-Star second baseman was believed to have problems with just his right knee.

Utley hasn't played in a game this spring because of his condition, which forced him to miss all of last spring and the first 46 games of the regular season. He is leaving camp to see a specialist.

The Phillies already are without first baseman Ryan Howard. The former MVP is recovering from surgery on his left Achilles and is unlikely to return before June.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/id/7708602/2012-spring-training-chase-utley-philadelphia-phillies-doubtful-opening-day-knees

bunkaroo
03-19-12, 11:44 AM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/twins-send-tsuyoshi-nishioka-to-triple-a-with-two-years-and-6-million-left-on-contract/

:yack:

That sucks man. I was surprised at that move last year. Hardy was a good player.

starman9000
03-19-12, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I imagine that move is what cost Smith his job. Not that that makes this next season any more promising.

mcnabb
03-19-12, 12:56 PM
Now Chase Utley out for the season opener and beyond. This does not sound good at all.

I looked up his stats last night and didn't realize that his numbers have dipped every year since 2007. He has been on a steady decline the past 5 years, and probably will never be the same player even if he comes back. Kind of reminds me of Don Mattingly, as both were such great hitters who's prime was way too short due to injuries.

CRM114
03-19-12, 01:01 PM
Sounds debilitating considering he had all off season to recover.

dsa_shea
03-19-12, 01:09 PM
It is stuff like those injuries that scared me when the Cardinals had offered Pujols like a 9 or 10 year deal. When a player starts to lose their ability to play it doesn't take long for things to head south no matter how much they wish it to be different.

mcnabb
03-19-12, 01:24 PM
It is stuff like those injuries that scared me when the Cardinals had offered Pujols like a 9 or 10 year deal. When a player starts to lose their ability to play it doesn't take long for things to head south no matter how much they wish it to be different.

We also have Ryan Howard coming off an Achilles Injury, and nobody knows if he will be the same player too. He is 6'5", 250 lbs, and they say it is tough to recover from an injury like that with such a big frame. Howard is just starting his 5 year, 125 million dollar contract.