DVD Talk
SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightley) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightley)

riotinmyskull
02-10-12, 06:35 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/1znq3pu.jpg

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.html#shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fmovie%2Fseeking-a-friend-for-the-end-of-the-world%2Ftrailers%2Fseeking-a-friend-at-the-end-of-the-world-theatrical-trailer-28244110.html&startScreenCarouselUI=hide&vid=28244110&browseCarouselUI=hide&repeat=0"></iframe></div>

As an asteroid nears Earth, a man finds himself alone after his wife leaves in a panic. He decides to take a road trip to reunite with his high school sweetheart. Accompanying him is a neighbor who inadvertently puts a wrench in his plan.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307068/

Dr Mabuse
02-10-12, 09:01 AM
I see some producer(s) decided to try and remake the concept of 'Last Night' as a more commercial romcom film and make money off the concept.

I'll just watch 'Last Night' again, I don't have much in the way of hope for this.

TheySentYou
02-10-12, 12:43 PM
this looks badass

TheySentYou
02-10-12, 01:23 PM
i don't really see the connection between this and 'Last Night' aside from Kiera Knightley?

Superboy
02-10-12, 02:01 PM
I see some producer(s) decided to try and remake the concept of 'Last Night' as a more commercial romcom film and make money off the concept.

I'll just watch 'Last Night' again, I don't have much in the way of hope for this.

No one watches Canadian movies!

Superboy
02-10-12, 02:02 PM
i don't really see the connection between this and 'Last Night' aside from Kiera Knightley?

:lol:

he was talking about this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156729/

Pretty much the same premise only less zany indie comedy and more realistic examination of the human condition without going over the top.

PopcornTreeCt
02-10-12, 03:08 PM
The first comment on Youtube sums it up best: "I have no inside info, but I bet the asteroid misses earth because of some comical miscalculation. But I wonder if the girl he's really after ends up being the one right beside him the whole time but he doesnt realize it until the very end. I wonder."

Preterite
02-10-12, 03:12 PM
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy7/Preterite/criswell.gif
The Earth is not destroyed at the end.

Udpint
02-11-12, 01:52 AM
Having read the script I can inform you that the above clever predictions are completely wrong.

Udpint
02-11-12, 02:04 AM
I see some producer(s) decided to try and remake the concept of 'Last Night'
The concept of an apocalyptic film wasn't exactly invented by Last Night.

and make money off the concept.
Whereas the producers of Last Night are all registered charities.

Dr Mabuse
02-11-12, 09:31 AM
The concept of an apocalyptic film wasn't exactly invented by Last Night.

Really? Thanks for the info!

Get back to me when you've seen 'Last Night'. Then you'll understand my point, and also see all the plot points of 'Last Night' covered in the trailer for this film. Only in a more commercial romcom fashion with big stars!

Solid Snake
02-11-12, 10:04 AM
I'll see it.

RichC2
02-11-12, 10:51 AM
Really? Thanks for the info!

Get back to me when you've seen 'Last Night'. Then you'll understand my point, and also see all the plot points of 'Last Night' covered in the trailer for this film. Only in a more commercial romcom fashion with big stars!

So they turned Last Night into an entertaining movie people would actually want to see, got it (kidding of course, Last Night was decent).

It's just timing, year 2000 was supposed to ring in the end of the world, as is 2012. I never understood the venomous hate for similar stories in movies, or the "I'll just watch the (similar concept movie from 10 years ago) instead!" comments. It's almost as bad as "I saw it subtitled 2 years ago and this one won't be nearly as good!".

Dr Mabuse
02-11-12, 10:57 AM

So they turned Last Night into an entertaining movie people would actually want to see, got it (kidding of course, Last Night was decent).

Um... yeah, with Holmesian detective skills, you decoded my secret meaning. ;)

RichC2
02-11-12, 11:01 AM
Haha yeah, I have a tendency to rephrase things instead of making a point, old habits die hard.

Udpint
02-11-12, 06:08 PM
Get back to me when you've seen 'Last Night'. Then you'll understand my point, and also see all the plot points of 'Last Night' covered in the trailer for this film.But most of the plot points of "Seeking a Friend..." are not touched upon at all in the trailer. You only really get the basic premise. Which, to be fair, it does share with other end-of-the-world movies.

And no, I haven't seen Last Night. But if the synopsis I've read is correct it takes place during six hours in Toronto. Whereas the story in SaF lasts three weeks and includes extensive travelling. I don't see how you'd be able to map the plot points of one of them to the other. Although I'm sure similar themes will be touched upon in places.

Only in a more commercial romcom fashion with big stars!
How do you cover a plot point in a more commercial fashion? What does that mean?
If the movie performs badly at the box office would that mean it wasn't commercial after all?

resinrats
02-11-12, 08:20 PM
RIght before the asteroid plows into the Earth, Carell yells "That's what she said!!"

crazychris88
02-11-12, 08:42 PM
I really like this. I ill totally make it out to see this one. Looks like it could be something special.

Preterite
02-11-12, 11:24 PM
Having read the script I can inform you that the above clever predictions are completely wrong.

There's many a slip twixt multiplex and script. :)

TheySentYou
02-15-12, 10:56 PM
oops, my earlier post was mistaken for the more recent "Last Night" film... also starring Kiera Knightley. hah!

Meglos
02-17-12, 01:09 PM

He gets together with the dog instead?

Osiris3657
02-17-12, 07:41 PM
I'll see it.

islandclaws
02-17-12, 07:58 PM
Looks fun, I'll see it.

Solid Snake
02-17-12, 08:30 PM

.....pm script?

Matthew Chmiel
02-17-12, 08:34 PM
If everything I've read is true:

A lot of reports I've read regarding the script regard it as one of the rare screenplays that have made its readers cry. If that's the case, I assume we know how this film ends.

Solid Snake
02-17-12, 08:36 PM

A lot of reports I've read regarding the script regard it as one of the rare screenplays that have made its readers cry. If that's the case, I assume we know how this film ends.

I'm assuming el fin del mundo?

Udpint
02-19-12, 03:43 AM
There's many a slip twixt multiplex and script. :)There certainly can be.

This particular thing has been confirmed by reports from test screenings, though.
I suppose they could have changed it afterwards, but that really would surprise me.

Udpint
03-13-12, 11:35 AM
.....pm script?
It appears to be available here:
www (dot) mediafire (dot) com/?cdb317hpt239h50

Matthew Chmiel
04-05-12, 11:13 PM
I read the screenplay this morning.

Mainstream audiences will probably hate this film due to how bleak is (for every laugh, there's two or three moments to counteract it), but dammit, this is now easily one of my most anticipated films of the year.

If the finished product is any good as the screenplay, we may have one of the best films of the year on our hands.

Dr Mabuse
04-05-12, 11:25 PM
Hmmm... I hope you are right about that.

Solid Snake
04-06-12, 02:12 AM
I read the screenplay this morning.

Mainstream audiences will probably hate this film due to how bleak is (for every laugh, there's two or three moments to counteract it), but dammit, this is now easily one of my most anticipated films of the year.

If the finished product is any good as the screenplay, we may have one of the best films of the year on our hands.

could you pm me the link to script or whatever?

Solid Snake
05-19-12, 04:58 PM
...also finally noticed the...code for el script. I'll read it tomorrow for sure...

also...clip!

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:770162/cp~vid%3D770162%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A770162" width="612" height="388" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More: <a href="http://www.mtv.com/movies/trailer_park/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Movie Trailers</a>, <a href="http://moviesblog.mtv.com/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Movies Blog</a></p></div></div>

RocShemp
05-19-12, 06:11 PM
If that spoiler is accurate, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Osiris3657
05-19-12, 07:49 PM
I breezed through the script in about a hour. A great read, I'm looking even more forward to this now.

Osiris3657
06-22-12, 06:31 AM
I'm going to check out a showing this week, but I'm disappointed at the mixed reviews. 51% on RT with a consensus of:
Tender, charming, and well-acted, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is unfortunately hamstrung by jarring tonal shifts and a disappointing final act.

Ebert liked it though, 3 Stars (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120620/REVIEWS/120629993)

Dr Mabuse
06-22-12, 11:58 AM
You guys should all go out of your way to check out 'Last Night'.

It's at 84% on RT with many great reviews.

I had a feeling this remake would be a weak effort.

Osiris3657
06-22-12, 12:56 PM
I searched Last Night in Netflix and the movie that popped up was a 2010 romantic drama with Kiera Knightley :lol: I thought to myself why would he recommend this in the Seeking A Friend thread?

Anyway I see the movie you're referring to, unfortunately it's unavailable on Netflix.

superdeluxe
06-22-12, 01:20 PM

I hope it ends like this

Deep Impact Spoiler

http://filmjournal.net/paulwjm/files/2007/04/deepimpact.jpg

CaptainMarvel
06-22-12, 10:09 PM
Saw this tonight. This movie was FANTASTIC. So good.

Troy Stiffler
06-24-12, 07:42 PM
Nobody saw this one, huh? It only made $4mil this weekend. I think it's mood works against it. If they tacked on a 15 minute ending where Carrel saves the planet, it may have been a bigger hit. Well, it didn't work for Evan Almighty.

Anyways, good movie. I liked how nothing in the plot really mattered. As it would be, in such a situation. They just went from one thing to the next.

Troy Stiffler
06-24-12, 07:44 PM
http://filmjournal.net/paulwjm/files/2007/04/deepimpact.jpg

I loved hat movie. And it does end that way. Except with the two characters laying on a bed.

thematahara
06-24-12, 09:37 PM
Saw it really liked it. Solid acting all around, good mix of humor and heart felt moments. Really liked the differnt take on an end of the world movie.

bluetoast
06-24-12, 11:40 PM
Just got back from seeing this on a whim, enjoyed it.

Throwing Copper
06-25-12, 05:15 AM
this was great. it won't do much biz at the box office, so we'll get the disc much sooner, i hope

bluetoast
06-25-12, 07:27 AM
The only thing is, when Keira Knightley was explaining to Steve Carell about how vinyl works, I wanted him to say something like "I know all of that you moron, I grew up with them."

Decker
06-25-12, 10:59 AM
I liked it a lot too, though it was so bleak and dark all the time; it wasn't an easy watch even for a so-called "comedy". Carrell really nailed it though. Knightly was better than I've seen her since Atonement -- her performance reminded me a lot of Kate Winslet in "Eternal Sunshine"; I like those quirky, memorable roles. I really liked the Friday's scene and the End of the World dinner party. Both those scenes were somewhat spoiled by trailers, but if you're trying to sell this as a comedy, I don't know what else you could include. Overall it was a sweet and thoughtful movie.

Anyone else wonder why Penny was sitting outside of Dodge's window on the fire escape when she lives on the opposite side of the building?

Anyone know what the "secret cameo, not listed in IMDB" is in the film that the DVD Talk review mentioned? I had thought it related to Linda in the opening scene, but that one is on IMDB and pretty common knowledge by now. If anyone knows, please spoilerize below.

boogieman03
06-25-12, 02:23 PM
Saw it this weekend and I liked it. Very moving.

Connie Britton's rack looked fantastic, by the way.

good mix of humor and heart felt moments.

Yup.

IstvanTheHun
06-25-12, 02:25 PM
An excellent film, a small gem!

This really is not an apocalypse film, that's just a plot point for a story about love, communication, and relationships.

sounds cheezy and cliched, but its handled with alot of restrained pathos - Carrell puts in a fine performance.

warning: you may cry during this film!

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, found the main character to be quite relatable and connectable. The scripts has some genuine laughs - both modest and wacky, and some earnestly authentic emotions.

An apocalypse film which is basically a romcom buddy road movie - that hits all the right notes.

IstvanTheHun
06-25-12, 02:35 PM
Anyone know what the "secret cameo, not listed in IMDB" is in the film that the DVD Talk review mentioned? I had thought it related to Linda in the opening scene, but that one is on IMDB and pretty common knowledge by now. If anyone knows, please spoilerize below.
not sure what the "secret" cameo is...because all actors are listed on IMDB!

I imagine its either:

Martin Sheen is his dad
Patton Oswald as the friend at the party

no other actor in the film is worthy of a "secret cameo"

bluetoast
06-25-12, 02:41 PM
However the latter person was in the trailers.

Decker
06-25-12, 03:23 PM
After re-checking the IMDB page, I think the first actor listed above is what Jamie Rich was referring to when he said "There is even a secret cameo buried deep in the film that you won't find mentioned on IMDB; nor will you find it mentioned here. "
While he is listed on the Full Cast & Crew (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307068/fullcredits#cast) page, he's not on the movie's Main (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307068/) page.

For a second I thought I'd missed someone (well, actually someone else since I had already somehow missed William Peterson as the trucker. I knew he looked somewhat familiar, but didn't place it at the time. Unforgivable, as I used to watch CSI religiously for the first few seasons. He's also not listed on the main IMDB page.

IstvanTheHun
06-25-12, 07:33 PM
However the latter person was in the trailers.

so I guess the cameo must have been Martin Sheen, eventhough he's listed on IMDB, and was even listed on the theater chain's website.

onebyone
06-25-12, 08:16 PM
Also saw this movie on a whim and thought it was just great and hit all of the right notes. A good mix of comedy and sadness, with an interesting assortment of characters that didn't try TOO hard to be weird. Good times. The only complaint I had is that some of the musical choices were just a bit too obvious, but that's a small complaint that didn't get in the way of enjoying the movie.

This movie was never going to be a big hit, but not sure why Focus thought the heat of the summer would be a good time to drop this one. I watch tons of tv and the only ad I ever saw for it was before another movie I saw last week.

Preterite
06-26-12, 11:11 AM
From what I've been reading on the web, looks like Criswell dropped the ball. Again. Remember, this is the same guy who predicted the destruction of Denver in 1989.

Solid Snake
06-26-12, 11:19 AM
....Denver. Why only Denver?

resinrats
06-27-12, 01:08 AM
Saw it today. Really the only nitpick I have is why would anyone think a Cessna could get to the UK from the US.

Matthew Chmiel
06-28-12, 12:51 AM
I loved it. However, I was caught off guard by two moments that were in the shooting script, but not present in the final cut of the film.

In what would've been the first ten minutes of the film, Dodge goes to visit his mother in a nursing home. She's suffering from Alzheimer's so she's unaware of the chaos that surrounds her. The moment is brief, but it pays off later in the film. When Dodge discovers his wife was cheating on him, he goes back to the nursing home to be with the only person who he still loves: his mother. When he arrives, he discovers her dead body as all of the patients have been murdered by the medical staff in a murder-suicide.

The scene was shot with Melinda Dillon playing Dodge's mom.

There's another moment after Dodge sends Penny off with his father. As he's driving back to his apartment, he shoves Sorry out of his car because he wants nothing else to remind him of Penny. As he drives away, Sorry begins to chase the car. Dodge begins to cry, but pulls over and begins to search for Sorry. Ultimately, he finds Sorry and the rest of the film progresses as it does in the final cut.

I thought those two moments added a lot more gravitas, but considering how dark they were, I wonder if they were more cut due to test audiences and/or studio interference.

There were other pieces missing from the shooting script to the final cut, but most cuts were made for the better.

resinrats
06-28-12, 12:58 AM
Yeah, those scenes make the movie especially dark.

Matthew Chmiel
06-28-12, 01:04 PM
Yeah, those scenes make the movie especially dark.
Which I'm okay with having been included in the final cut.

The film ends with both leads dying. As a filmmaker, you can take the film to the dark places.

I'm okay with crying like a baby for the film's final ten minutes if it would've progressed in that direction. Hell, Scafaria did a fantastic job during the scene where Dodge puts Penny on the airplane. I'm glad they removed the moment where Dodge tells Penny of the plane situation and there's only one seat on the plane for her. It makes the final scene all that more dramatic. :thumbsup:

Osiris3657
10-20-12, 02:36 PM
Watched it this morning. I enjoyed it. My only real complaint is Kiera Knightley. I don't normally have a problem with her. Maybe it was her British accent, her at times contrived dialogue, her facial expressions...I don't know, I think that character was miscast. I think the film would have been better with a different actress in that role, maybe even someone a little closer to Dodge's age too.

I did like the story, Steve Carell was great.

Worth checking out.

Grade: B

Tarantino
01-26-13, 09:33 AM
Steve Carell's best performance, by far.

Mattflix
01-28-13, 02:16 PM
I saw the movie the day before opening night at Montclair State in NJ, where the director (and alumni) Lorene Scafaria was in attendance and did a Q&A afterwards.

I thought the movie was a little awkward in tone, but IMO that's half the result of the marketing campaign. I expected a comedy, and I got a comedy to start out with, so I wasn't expecting the sadder parts. This would probably benefit from another viewing now that I know what the movie is.

What impressed me the most was that it stuck to it's guns regarding the end of the world. When I saw the trailer and the tone, I was sure this would pull a punch and the asteroid would miss the earth at the last moment for a happy ending. I was so positive that I'd pre-emptively hated the movie. So it's got my respect.

madcougar
01-28-13, 04:42 PM
What impressed me the most was that it stuck to it's guns regarding the end of the world. When I saw the trailer and the tone, I was sure this would pull a punch and the asteroid would miss the earth at the last moment for a happy ending. I was so positive that I'd pre-emptively hated the movie. So it's got my respect.

These types of movies are a tough sell with average crowds. I totally loved it, but afterwards was totally bummed that they die. So on the one hand, I was impressed they stuck to their guns and applaud them for it. But on the other, I find it hard to recommend since it's so depressing.

Why So Blu?
01-28-13, 05:02 PM
These types of movies are a tough sell with average crowds. I totally loved it, but afterwards was totally bummed that they die. So on the one hand, I was impressed they stuck to their guns and applaud them for it. But on the other, I find it hard to recommend since it's so depressing.

I think the beginning and middle parts of the film neutralized the more depressing angles toward the end.

This and Safety Not Guaranteed were on my top 10 of last year. They make a great double-header.

andy434343
01-28-13, 07:04 PM
Good soundtrack too

Michael Corvin
02-15-13, 11:42 PM
Stumbled across this at the video store tonight and decided to give it a spin given today's events.

I was expecting a comedy(grabbed it for my wife and I's Valentine viewing :lol:) so I was surprised at the dark tone of the film. However that didn't affect my enjoyment in the slightest. Fantastic film all around. Carell was amazing but Knightly blew me away. Probably one of my favorite films of recent memory.

I'm so glad they pulled no punches at the end of the film. The film would have collapsed under it's own weight and would have been an abject failure had they not gone all the way with it.

Saw it today. Really the only nitpick I have is why would anyone think a Cessna could get to the UK from the US.

I thought that was weird too but did they ever say her parents were in England? I think that's a viewer assumption given her accent. Then again with two weeks Penny could have driven pretty much anywhere that Cessna could have flown to.

VHS?
02-23-13, 01:23 AM
Watched it tonight and was pleased. I too enjoyed the dark tone it had. The ending was great. I actually felt a little anxious as it played out.

As for Penny's parents ... her friend in the 'bunker house' told her he talked to her father the other day and asked if she wanted to call them and said ... "What time is it across the pond, 1600 Hundred" ?

Count Dooku
03-31-13, 12:39 PM
Wow. I just watched this movie yesterday, and thought I'd be reviving an old thread to ask a trivial question, but I guess it's not so trivial after all.

I was really confused by the logistics of that plane ride. As already pointed out, that plane was supposed to take her to England. ???
Also, I read a review that said he movie was set on the East Coast. Pretty obviously this was California, right?

And Last Night was much better.

EdTheRipper
05-28-13, 05:28 AM
This and Safety Not Guaranteed were on my top 10 of last year. They make a great double-header.

That was actually my double-header yesterday. Totally random picks that paired up exceptionally well. I liked this one quite a bit also. The party scene near the beginning was hilarious.

Wow. I just watched this movie yesterday, and thought I'd be reviving an old thread to ask a trivial question, but I guess it's not so trivial after all.

I was really confused by the logistics of that plane ride. As already pointed out, that plane was supposed to take her to England. ???
Also, I read a review that said he movie was set on the East Coast. Pretty obviously this was California, right?

And Last Night was much better.

The movie took place in New Jersey. There were mentions/sightings of Trenton, Camden and Somerset.

Daytripper
06-02-13, 06:52 PM
Finally saw this tonight for the first time (Netflix). What a terrific little film. Yeah, it had just enough moments of laughter here and there to break up the bleak tone. And a couple of those moments were truly funny. I was especially impressed by the acting. Knightly was great (as usual). But Carell really really impressed me though. His best work yet. The last 15 minutes of the movie were heartbreaking.

PacMan2006
07-04-13, 07:28 AM
This was a great movie, just watched it. I had expected more comedy too, but was totally fine with what the movie ended up being. At first, when Knightley showed up as the female lead, I felt it was likely going to be bad casting. But she was really great.

Part of me though Carrell was lying to her about knowing someone who had a plane. I figured he just really wanted some female company because he's been so lonely, and was ashamed that he lied to her and didn't know how to break it to her. So I was a bit surprised to see his dad was a pilot.

Great flick.

Coral
07-05-13, 08:43 PM
This was ok... but it was a poor man's "Last Night" (1998). Much better film.

andy434343
07-06-13, 09:47 AM
what do you have against poor people?

Daytripper
07-06-13, 09:58 AM
what do you have against poor people?

Yeah, what's wrong with us?

Applejack
07-07-13, 12:46 AM
DVRed this from one of the recent HBO free previews and thought it was really good. Very depressing, but very well acted

Mikael79
04-18-14, 08:47 PM
I watched this last night and again today. I don't cry often during a movie, but this one got to me. When "The Air That I Breathe" kicked in, that was it.