Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

House to end this May after 8 seasons (2004-2012)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-08-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/hous...ter-8-seasons/

It’s the end of the road for veteran medical drama House, which will bow out after the end of its current eighth season on Fox. The network has granted creator David Shore’s wish for an early decision to allow him to give the series and its characters a proper ending. The move opens the door for renewal of another Fox drama in need of an early verdict, freshman Terra Nova.

Shore originally was hoping for a resolution by end of last year but he and the network “agreed mutually to put it off until after the first of the year,” Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly said at TCA in January. At the time he admitted that he’s been “avoiding” making the decision because “it’s hard to imagine the network without House… It’s going to be a close call.” I hear the network made that call over the past 24 hours, siding with Shore who felt that creatively the series was in a place where he wanted to bring it home. Shore had the support support of fellow House executive producer Katie Jacobs and star/executive producer Hugh Laurie. “While it’s with much regret, and a lump in our throats, we respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made,” Reilly said in a statement today. “A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House. For eight seasons, the entire House team has given us – and fans around the world – some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television.”

The cancellation decision prevents another protracted, bruising license fee negotiation between Fox and House producer Universal Television, which last year stretched into May. Universal would’ve liked to see House continue as it is hugely profitable for the studio with strong international sales (House is one of the most popular U.K. series in the world) and an off-network deal with USA Network. At TCA, NBC Entertainment chairman Greenblatt, who also oversees Universal TV, said that the studio was considering ways to bring the cost of the aging series down so it could continue on Fox. But the studio was facing potential tough renegotiations with star Hugh Laurie whose deal is up at the end of this season. Universal’s efforts to trim actors’ salaries last year didn’t go well, leading to the shocking exit of popular co-star Lisa Edelstein. The studio also doesn’t have a deal with Shore beyond this season.

With House over at Fox, the only realistic possibility for the series to continue elsewhere would be at NBC the way CBS took in Medium and ABC picked up Scrubs, both produced by their sibling studios, after they were cancelled by NBC. But Greenblatt pretty much ruled out that scenario last month, saying that picking up a show “at that cost structure in this situation” wouldn’t be a shrewd business move.

After a slow start and facing cancellation after its first season, House grew into a bonafide hit and was Fox’s highest-rated scripted series for most of its run. Last season, the series’ ratings started to drop off significantly, a trend that continued this season. Still, the medical show remains as one of Fox’s strongest drama series and has been used to launch a number of new series. It will do it one last time this spring with Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch. House went through several rounds of major casting changes, first after Season 3 when it added Peter Jacobson, Kal Penn and Olivia Wilde, then after Season 6 when original cast member Jennifer Morrison left and then again last summer when Edelstein departed, and Odette Annable and Charlyne Yi were added to the main cast. (Wilde too left to focus on her feature career.)
I figured since this show was on 8 seasons and was one of FOX's most popular shows next to 24, it deserves to be mentioned in it's own thread. Most people are going to overlook the episode thread.

I've watched every single episode since Day 1 and own all the DVDs and BDs. I know the show got tired and boring for alot of you, but the character of House was one of my favorites. I will miss it. I wish Hugh Laurie well in his next venture whether it's music or feature films.
Old 02-08-12, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: House to end this May after 8 seasons (2004-2012)

About time. I stopped watching it a few episodes back after having seen every prior episode just because I couldn't take it any longer, but maybe I should catch up and finish it out since this is the end.
Old 02-08-12, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. Still this did well enough I'm always surprised that series that do this well don't come back for one or two more laps as movie releases in the theatre.
Old 02-08-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I hope they are at least trying to bring back Lisa Edelstein for the series finale. She was such an important character to House for 7 seasons.

It's probably unlikely they would be able to get Jennifer Morrison since she's on Once Upon A Time.
Old 02-08-12, 05:49 PM

I think, if I remember correctly, House is the most watched show worldwide. I think the creators know it's sort of run its course at this point though.
Old 02-08-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
I think, if I remember correctly, House is the most watched show worldwide. I think the creators know it's sort of run its course at this point though.
8 seasons and almost 200 episodes, yeah I think so. Even though this season has been pretty solid so far, I think David Shore and his writers know the show is running on fumes creatively. A 9th season would have been just more of the same. There is only so many things they can do with these characters that hasn't already been done before. At least they have time to create a proper sendoff.
Old 02-08-12, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A great run. Looking forward to the finale.
Old 02-08-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the series and have seen every episode and own most of the DVD's, but there's certainly more poor and boring episodes then there are good ones the last couple seasons so I agree its time to call it quits. The writers have shown they can be really, really good at times so I hope we see a good finale.

It's a shame that Hugh Laurie didn't win an Emmy the first few seasons of the show.
Old 02-08-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I think this was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Any time I saw Hugh Laurie interviewed, you could tell he was ready for it to end. Living here with his family in the UK was taking it's toll. I'll miss it. I didn't start until season 4 (my wife got me into it) but I've enjoyed it's run. Hopefully we get a good finale out fo it.
Old 02-08-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great run good to see the creator knows its time to bring it home, what a ride. How does it all end?
Old 02-08-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did I read right that house going away means terra nova comes back?
Old 02-08-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
No, they are speculating that it's improved Terra Nova's chances of coming back. Even then FOX has other Pilots in development including a new show starring Kevin Bacon and Alcatraz is doing better than it right now. Terra Nova is still iffy at best. Plus, if FOX greenlights a 2nd season of Terra Nova, they are contractually obligated to order 22 episodes, which would be very costly.
Old 02-08-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I think the final case should actually be lupus.
Old 02-08-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I think the final case should actually be lupus.
LOL

I'm good with this. I've enjoyed the show every year, but it's definitely getting long in the tooth as the kids say (or their grandparents say). I feel like they're still putting out quality episodes and I'd hate for it to overstay it's welcome.
Old 02-08-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Never watched it, but it does look like quality programming. Pulling this to run that retarded Lost retread Terra Nova sounds idiotic.

From what little I know about the series, I bet they kill him off at the end.
Old 02-08-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lost it's luster for me mid season 4 with spurts of genius few and far between since. When the show was good it was spectacular.

Glad that David Shore and Hugh Laurie are finally able to move on to something else - hopefully something just as good as House used to be.
Old 02-08-12, 09:02 PM

I really have enjoyed this show since the beginning. It hasn't been as good lately, but what is after 8 years? I always wish they would've allowed more growth of the House character, but I suppose they feared messing up the formula.
Old 02-08-12, 09:13 PM

For me, the show really lost momentum once the original crew of Foreman, Chase, and Cameron went separate ways and House brought in new interns or residents or whatever they're called. The first few seasons with the core group were some of the best TV around.
Old 02-08-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ran 3 seasons too long
Old 02-08-12, 09:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Err...no. Alcatraz is doing very well, and Touch looks like a solid preformed. If anything it makes the chances for Bones coming back even better as they still need established, scripted shows. Glee is no longer the power house that it used to be, so Fox is going to look to bring newer shows on the network to try and get 'hits'. Terra was not a hit...
Old 02-08-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Although I do agree with the view that the initial 3 seasons of "House" were the show's best years, it has still remained very good ever since then and hasn't gone downhill in any major way (even losing a character as important as Cuddy, which seemed like it was going to be a "shark jump" event when it was first announced last year, didn't hurt the show and this season without her has been so far a good one).

So I'm a bit surprised that the show is ending, especially given its popularity in syndication which additional episodes can only help. At least it is ending before it goes downhill, which is a bit unusual for Fox given their tendency to keep a successful show on until it has completely crashed and burned.

And with the comments in the article about the show's "cost structure" being high - just how much per episode does "House" cost to make? Given its use of the same studio sets and very little on-location shooting, I figured it was a relatively low-cost show to make, but I guess I'm way off on that view.
Old 02-08-12, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Some people act lie House went all Glee on people. House is still a very enjoyable show. 8 Seasons is a long run!
Old 02-08-12, 10:22 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

So both House and Desperate Housewives will follow a similar path. Both shows premiered the same year and will end at the same time.
Old 02-09-12, 04:37 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by dhmac
And with the comments in the article about the show's "cost structure" being high - just how much per episode does "House" cost to make? Given its use of the same studio sets and very little on-location shooting, I figured it was a relatively low-cost show to make, but I guess I'm way off on that view.
I'm guessing "cost structure" means "Hugh Laurie's salary".
Old 02-09-12, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ryuhayabu
I'm guessing "cost structure" means "Hugh Laurie's salary".
Somewhere around 400k an episode!

I stopped watching regularly right after he started with 3 new assistants. although I do still enjoy an episode here and there. The medical stories have followed pretty much an exact formula for 8 seasons, but the acting and the side dramas is what has made the show a classic.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.