Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gold Rush Alaska / Bering Sea Gold discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Gold Rush Alaska / Bering Sea Gold discussion

Well maybe I should have started this sooner. But anyway, this is for anyone into the two Discovery Channel shows about gold mining in Alaska. One is on land, the other off shore near Nome.

The popular opinion of Gold Rush Alaska is that these guys are incompetent. They got a lot better this season compared to last, but they had nowhere to go, either.

Bering Sea Gold, now that's just nuts. I'd stick to land. That's just too risky.
Old 02-04-12, 04:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Gold Rush Alaska / Bering Sea Gold discussion

But it seems most are at least finding gold in the Bering Sea easier than on land. Well, Easy is a relative term but they seem to be finding it faster. Of course, it seems the "Gold Rush Alaska" folks sure seem to be hanging on a long time if they are as destitute as they portray themselves early on.

Actually I like the Bering Sea one.
Rick
Old 02-04-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well in the Bering Sea there's erosion to wash away the lighter material, and it hasn't been as mined like land.

What's amazing to me is the lives these people are living. Look at their homes. I guess I've been too comfortable living in LA. Especially those two in that round building by the shore. And I find it hard to believe those two aren't keeping each other warm. SHe's kinda cute.
Old 02-10-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok this is quite possibly the most dislikable cast since Ax Men, on Bering Sea Gold. I'm almost rooting for the Bering Sea.

Gold Rush was a little more positive. Lots of gold coming up now.
Old 02-17-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So am I the only one watching? I have to admit, Bering Sea Gold has a seriously dislikable cast, but things were looking good on Gold Rush. The Hoffmans are up to 80 ounces.
Old 02-17-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm watching and interested to see if anyone can get to 100 ounces next week.
Old 02-19-12, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
I'm watching and interested to see if anyone can get to 100 ounces next week.
Me too....I would have thought something would have hit the mainstream press since this had to have concluded much earlier last Autumn.
Old 02-19-12, 04:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The clips they show from Gold Rush Alaska each week on The Soup are hilarious, but that's enough for me.
Old 02-26-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GR ended this week and a lot of people smell a rat. They think the damaged dozer and fight with Turin was all staged. At the very least, the Hoffman and Dakota crews can return to where they were and pick right up where they left off. They know where the gold is now.

Someone pointed out that for all the time the men spent in Alaska, their share of profits came outto wages of $5.90 an hour. Of course, that doesn't include what Discovery is paying them.

BSG, though, I don't know how much more I can take. Zeke was an outright douche to Emily and she looked genuinely upset. I don't think she was acting. And Scott is worse than anything I've seen on Ax Men, which is saying something. I'm hoping he goes to jail at this point.
Old 02-26-12, 04:04 PM

I suspect with all the 12+ hour days the folks on Gold Rush probably made even less. When he announ ced each persons "take" I immediately thought they could have stayed home and worked for minimum wage and made out better. Well not counting the pay from the show of course.

BSG is getting a little old. I initially liked the nature of the show and how many of them actually made the equipment. Small operators working on small boats and all that. I didn't realize that Emily's dad is Steve. Scott's pretty bad but I have to think much of this for show.
Old 02-26-12, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

~$8000 for 5 months work. They should have gotten a fast food job instead.
Old 02-27-12, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan
GR ended this week and a lot of people smell a rat. They think the damaged dozer and fight with Turin was all staged. At the very least, the Hoffman and Dakota crews can return to where they were and pick right up where they left off. They know where the gold is now.
the show has been fake and scripted since day 1. i watch it for the comedic value only.
Old 11-10-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone checking out Season 3? I never liked this show, but kinda got hooked due to seeing it on The Soup, finding it funny, watching bits and then finding out it was hilarious due to all their screw ups. These guys are generally seriously out of their depth. Apparently one hits it big this season. Probably the old fart that likes shooting his gun.
Old 11-10-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm watching it. Boy, they sure got some major help from Volvo, didn't they? Everywhere you look, they are using Volvo heavy equipment. This is almost as obnoxious as the Subway product placement in Pawn Stars.

I'm rooting for the kid, Parker. Dakota Fred got a bad rap from last season when it wasn't his fault. Todd Hoffman is a joke. Period. I bet anything Dave Turin's group does better.
Old 01-27-13, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Boy was I right with that prediction about Turin doing better. Discovery should just lose the Hoffmans and let Turin lead.

But I'm really wondering about the uber wash plant Todd bought. It was very late and completely defective. You'd think the guy who made it would have some pride of ownership. Hell, go to his web page and he says right on there, as seen on Gold Rush. And the thing was singularly worthless.

I have to wonder if Hoffman doesn't have a legal case. I mean, the guy didn't deliver on time and when he did the thing was defective and useless and that thing couldn't be cheap.
Old 01-27-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Manufactured drama. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The thing I would question is why in the fuck anybody would invest their money in Todd Hoffman? Oh wait, is it really that simple?
Old 08-08-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see this is coming back soon (Bering Sea Gold). I enjoy this show simply because almost everyone on it are the worlds biggest idiots. They all seem to just want to screw around instead of finding gold, or are mentally challenged and will end up killing someone. And with regards to Todd Hoffman on the other show, he is such a massive douche bag. The only reason he got that million dollar season is because the Discovery Channel paid for all that huge rigging to ensure that he got it. Hell, with that equipment they give it to me and i could find gold in the Sahara. They needed it to be idiot proof.

On a side note, i see that Cody has been on the Cornelia Marie (The Deadliest Catch) on his off season. He must be raking it in.
Old 08-08-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I forgot I created this. Well, there have been two developments:

James Harness died recently. He was in season 1 and 2. He was the mechanic with severe back pain.
http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/03/gold-r...s-dies-alaska/

Fred Hurt is off the show. He explained it on his FB page. Basically, Discovery screwed him on payment.
https://www.facebook.com/DakotaFred

Parker is posting updates. Grandpa is still alive and kicking. And Emily is back working, doing more damage to her throat. I guess she's given up on being an opera singer.
Old 10-14-14, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to admit that i Bering Sea Gold is a guilty pleasure of mine. The season just ended and what did we learn. Well Zeke continues to be a jerk and acts like a child. Glen Le Baron knows this and treats him accordingly. Jason had too much of an ego and it cost him. He just got lucky with picking a spot. Steve Pomrenke is a huge prick and he is more than happy to try and steal your spot given the chance. I really hope one day this comes back to bite him in the ass and someone takes it to the violent level. Emily continues the Reidel tradition of being clueless and wasting a lot of time and money. And Vernon finally makes some cash.

Oh, and the Kelly family....well the brothers are funny as hell and they do seem to want to work. The father is the shiftiest piece of shit i have seen in a long time. I don't get how the sons put up with this guy, especially after ditching their mother for some waitress he met in the town.
Old 10-14-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well like one son said, he just can't bring himself to cut off his dad. These things are tough after all.

Cut Zeke a little slack. His best friend committed suicide right in front of him. That would make anyone a little crazy.

I guess Emily has given up all hope of being an opera singer. She never discusses it any more and keeps going back to Nome. You can see the damage to her face from the elements, it's making her look older than she is (26, IIRC). Imagine what that's doing to her vocal chords.

"Gold Rush" starts this Friday. I'm looking forward to seeing how Parker does and Tony Beets rebuilding that floating dredge. Dude is the most foul mouthed person on reality TV, even worse than Hugh Rowland. I can imagine that construction project being an endless string of beeps. Unfortunately, it also looks like the Hoffmans are returning even though there isn't one fan of the show that wants them back. You should see how Todd gets roasted on Facebook. Hilarious.
Old 11-26-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Parker Schnabel's 94-year-old grandpa beat cancer.

http://starcasm.net/archives/297127
Old 11-26-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love watching the Hoffmans fail.
Old 12-05-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Hoffmans are the biggest losers I have ever seen. Todd always tries sounding inspirational to pump the guys up, but it's a lot of hot air from a dumb yokel. He would manage to screw up an orgy at a whore house. I am amazed that the Discovery Channel keeps giving this idiot money to waste.

On the other side Parker seems to work hard and has great work ethics. His grandfather is a legend. These are real miners Hoffmans.
Old 12-06-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last night's show wasn't bad. Parker's cleanout was insane and next week's will be even bigger.

I'm really curious if Tony can get that dredge back together and make it work. Discovery probably has a massive crew off camera working on it, but still, he hasn't exactly been gentle in dismantling that thing.
Old 12-06-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tony looks like he's losing his shirt on that dredge. He sunk a million into it and who knows how much it will take to get it up and running again consider its been sitting up rusting for 30 years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.