Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Music Survey

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Music Survey

I was bored/curious about peoples musical tastes and habbits so I decided to put together a little survey just to get a feel for how different people approach music. I may do a film one down the road as well.

Spoiler:

Music Survey
  • Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime:
  • First Format You Purchased:
  • Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format):
  • How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music:
  • How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music:
  • How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music:
  • Favorite Genre(s):
  • Least Favorite Genre(s):
  • Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers:
  • Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers:
  • Three Favorite Albums:
  • Three Favorite Songs:

If you happen to be a big rock fan here's an additional section to do.
  • All Time Favorite Band:
  • Favorite Lead Singer:
  • Favorite Lead Guitarist:
  • Favorite Rhythm Guitarist:
  • Favorite Bass Player:
  • Favorite Drummer:
  • Favorite Decade of Rock:
  • Favorite Concert:
  • Favorite Live Album:

Here's my answers:

Spoiler:

Music Survey
  • Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassette, CD, MP3, Vinyl
  • First Format You Purchased: Cassette
  • Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): If I remember correctly I think the first album I ever bought was the soundtrack to Pokemon the First Movie on cassette. It was so long ago though.
  • How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: I have a 50/50 mix of in store and online. If it's cheaper to get something on itunes or in the Amazon MP3 store then I will and just burn it to a CD, print a cover and everything. I still enjoy going into a music store and actually buying CDs though as well.
  • How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: Usually on my computer or ipod, however if I am in the car I will listen on CD.
  • How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: About 2 or 3 hours on average. Somedays are more though.
  • Favorite Genre(s): Pretty much any rock that isn't black metal, death metal, or screamo.
  • Least Favorite Genre(s): Opera....gangsta rap....
  • Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Metallica, KISS, and the original Black Sabbath Line Up.
  • Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Adele, Biebs, Drake
  • Three Favorite Albums: Dark Side of the Moon, Paranoid, Metallica
  • Three Favorite Songs: "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne "Enter Sandman" by Metallica and "Symphony of Destruction" by Megadeth

• All Time Favorite Band: KISS
  • Favorite Lead Singer: Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
  • Favorite Lead Guitarist: Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
  • Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Paul Stanley (KISS)
  • Favorite Bass Player: Lemmy (Motorhead)
  • Favorite Drummer: Neil Peart (Rush)
  • Favorite Decade of Rock: 60's with the psycedellic rock sound.
  • Favorite Concert: Any KISS show
  • Favorite Live Album: Metallica S&M
Old 02-03-12, 03:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Music Survey

Originally Posted by HollywoodLights
I was bored/curious about peoples musical tastes and habbits so I decided to put together a little survey just to get a feel for how different people approach music. I may do a film one down the road as well.
Music Survey
  • Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassettes, 8-tracks, Vinyl (33's, 45's, and 78's), CD, MiniDisc (only one album), DVD-Audio, SACD, Blu-ray Audio, MP3, FLAC, Apple Lossless (actually purchased in those last three formats, too, but not often!)
  • Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Alapalooza by Weird Al
  • How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: CD or Vinyl
  • How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: Streaming
  • How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: Minimum 1 hour. Sometimes up to 10 hours.
  • Favorite Genre(s): Rock, "Indie Rock" (whatever that is), IDM, Metal
  • Least Favorite Genre(s): Top 40 pop/rock, Death Metal
  • Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Autechre
  • Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Nickelback, Lady Gaga, your mom
  • Three Favorite Albums: The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails, Lateralus by Tool, and Incunabula by Autechre
  • Three Favorite Songs: The Silent Acquiescence of Millions by Sinch, Lateralus or Parabol/Parabola by Tool, and way too many to choose just one by Nine Inch Nails
Old 02-03-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your taste SomethingMore.

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassette, CD, Vinyl, Digital, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray
First Format You Purchased: Cassette
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Green Day - Dookie
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: CD & Vinyl
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: iTunes or iPod/iPad
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: Probably 2-3 hours a day on average. More if I'm working on a big project.
Favorite Genre(s): Industrial
Least Favorite Genre(s): Country
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor, Maynard James Keenan, HEALTH
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: I've never given this much thought.
Three Favorite Albums: The Fragile - Nine Inch Nails, Get Color - HEALTH, The Moon and Antarctica - Modest Mouse
Three Favorite Songs: This changes so often it's hard to nail down. Right now it'd probably be: Is Your Love Strong Enough? - How to Destroy Angels, Icons of Summer - Cold Cave, Mary - Gnarls Barkley. Ask me again tomorrow, and it'll probably be a completely different set.

Last edited by ultimaton; 02-03-12 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-03-12, 04:52 PM

Music Survey
  • Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassette, vinyl, CD, various digital files
  • Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Purchased all by myself? Regulate...G Funk Era by Warren G I think
  • How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: Online, usually direct from artists' and labels' webstores, and other outlets like Amazon. My local record stroes are pretty good sometimes but still can't often match the selection, convenience and price of shopping online.
  • How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: CD most, then vinyl
  • How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: At least 4 hours usually, 8 or more is pretty common.
  • Favorite Genre(s): Always a long and varying list. Currently it's black metal, doom metal, sludge metal, garage rock, hardcore, indie pop, experimental rock, folk, alt-country, classic (mostly '90s) hip-hop, funk, soul, and R&B.
  • Least Favorite Genre(s): Radio pop, pop/"Nashville" country, crunk/hyphy/hip-hop
  • Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Black Sabbath, Talking Heads, Dinosaur Jr.
  • Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: ??? Dunno, I guess most of whoever neatly fits into my least favorite genres answer
  • Three Favorite Albums: Really, really couldn't answer this. At all.
  • Three Favorite Songs: Also nothing definite, although easier to narrow down (for the time being at least) than favorite albums: "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" by Jimmy Ruffin, "Bring It On Home To Me" by Sam Cooke, "Brandy Wine Rd." (The Devil's Tree EP version) by Frontier Folk Nebraska

• All Time Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
  • Favorite Lead Singer: Ozzy
  • Favorite Lead Guitarist: J Mascis
  • Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Tony Iommi (could fill both lead and rhythm roles, obviously, but I couldn't dethrone Mascis from lead)
  • Favorite Bass Player: Lorraine Rath (The Gault, Worm Ouroboros, Amber Asylum)
  • Favorite Drummer: Murph (Dinosaur Jr.)
  • Favorite Decade of Rock: Uhhh....
  • Favorite Concert: "Famous" concerts? Dunno...The Last Waltz or Stop Making Sense maybe? Hard to say if I didn't go. Of the ones I've been to, probably Dinosaur Jr. Reunion Tour, April 20th, 2006, Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA. Classic line-up, three encores, three hours total playing time. Fuck yeah.
  • Favorite Live Album: Dunno, haven't heard too many and very few that I found particularly impressive. If you can include audio-only album versions of famous rock films, then again it's probably have to be either Stop Making Sense of The Last Waltz
Old 02-03-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ooohhhh, fun!

I like surveys.

Music Survey

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassette, CD, Digital, Vinyl
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): First CD was Iron Maiden "Fear of the Dark" (that longbox artwork was wicked!)
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: Aarrgghhhh, unless I love your band.
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: iTunes, iPod, Windows Media player @ work
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: On a working day, all 10 hours of it. On off days, maybe an hour between car trips and home play.
Favorite Genre(s): METAL - thrash, black, death, atmospheric, doom, sludge, stoner
Least Favorite Genre(s): Ska, most punk, country (except for JC), rap, pop, contemporary hits
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Alice Cooper, Glenn Danzig (all 3 of his bands), Type O Negative
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Bob Dylan, U2, They Might Be Giants
Three Favorite Albums: Danzig: s/t; Ulver: Shadows of the Sun; Type O Negative: Slow, Deep & Hard
Three Favorite Songs: Oh geez, this changes so much... how about currently? Rush - The Trees; Lamb of God - Bury Me Under the Sun; Secret Chiefs 3 - Zombievision

All Time Favorite Band: Type O Negative
Favorite Lead Singer: Glenn Danzig
Favorite Lead Guitarist: "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: James Hetfield
Favorite Bass Player: Les Claypool
Favorite Drummer: Vinnie Paul
Favorite Decade of Rock: 1980s
Favorite Concert: How about top 3? Iron Maiden - Somewhere Back in Time tour 2008; Rammstein - L.A. Forum 2011; Danzig - Irvine Meadows Halloween night 1994
Favorite Live Album: I'm not a big fan of live albums (I'd rather be there), but KISS Alive II is pretty damned sweet.

Last edited by islandclaws; 02-03-12 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-03-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: cassette, CD, digital files
First Format You Purchased: cassette
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): No idea
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: buy it on CD
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: Itunes
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: 8 hours
Favorite Genre(s): Industrial
Least Favorite Genre(s): country
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: The Sword, Rammstein, Buckethead
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: No idea
Three Favorite Albums: Stone Temple Pilots-Core, Sleigh Bells-Treats, The Sword-Age of Winters
Three Favorite Songs: Stone Temple Pilots-Interstate Love Song, Hum-Stars, Alice in Chains-Nutshell
Old 02-03-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassette, CD, MP3, Vinyl
First Format You Purchased: Vinyl
Title of First Album You Purchased: Flash Gordon (Queen) That's still a great album btw.
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: Online
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: On my computer or on my iphone in the car or nano when exercising.
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: Not enough. I live 2 miles from work so hardly any drive time.
Favorite Genre(s): Rock is my favorite but I have many guilty pleasures.
Least Favorite Genre(s): new country
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Sabbath, Ramones, Green Day
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Alice in chains, Godsmack, Little Wayne in particular.
Three Favorite Albums: The Dio Years-Sabbath, It's Alive-Ramones, Put Yourself In My Shoes-Clint Black.
Three Favorite Songs: J.A.R.-Green Day, War Pigs-Sabbath, Bat out of Hell-Meatloaf.

All Time Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
Favorite Lead Singer: Dio
Favorite Lead Guitarist: Tony Iommi
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Malcolm Young
Favorite Bass Player: Geezer Butler
Favorite Drummer: Tre Cool!
Favorite Decade of Rock: 80's
Favorite Concert: Sabbath and Priest put on a good show, but the best was seeing Wolfmother at a little 500 person club.
Favorite Live Album: It's Alive (Ramones) or Live Evil (Sabbath)

Man! I sound like that stuck in the 80's guy I swore I'd never be. But my actual listening habits differ hugely from an all time favorites list.
Right now I'm on a pop music kick, and actually loving Gaga, Nikki Minaj, Rihanna, even dubstep (Path of Totality is not too bad). I guess those are my guilty pleasures I mentioned earlier.

Last edited by covenant; 02-03-12 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-04-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassette, Vinyl, CD, Mini Disc, DIgital, DVD-Audio, SACD
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Green Day Dookie
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: Buy?
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: iPhone
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: 3 hours
Favorite Genre(s): Rock & Roll, Anything Good
Least Favorite Genre(s): Dubstep, R&B, Modern Country, More Than 20 Minutes of Bluegrass
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Beatles, Phish, Bruce Springsteen
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: String Cheese Insident, Lil Wayne, Linkin Park
Three Favorite Albums: Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Bruce Springsteen Darkness on the Edge of Town, Phish Lawn Boy
Three Favorite Songs: Phish You Enjoy Myself, Talking Heads This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody), Bruce Springsteen Thunder Road

All Time Favorite Band: Phish
Favorite Lead Singer: Bruce Springsteen
Favorite Lead Guitarist: Trey Anastasio
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Brendan Bayliss
Favorite Bass Player: Les Claypool
Favorite Drummer: Neil Peart
Favorite Decade of Rock: 70's
Favorite Concert: Phish, 03/01/2003, Greensboro Colluseum, Greensboro, NC
Favorite Live Album: Live Phish 15, 10/31/1996, The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Old 02-04-12, 07:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

• Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Vinyl, Casette, CD, Digital (MP3/FLAC, etc.), Blu-ray, DVD-A, SACD
  • First Format You Purchased: Casette
  • Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Big Ones (Aerosmith, embarrassingly)
  • How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: Vinyl
  • How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: In car or at work on speakers.
  • How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: Depending on the day, usually between 4-6 hours. Sometimes more.
  • Favorite Genre(s): Rock, Jazz, Classical, Experimental, Pop, Soul
  • Least Favorite Genre(s): Reggae, Holiday, Country Pop
  • Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Can't narrow it down to three, but let's say David Bowie, The Residents, Peter Gabriel
  • Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Celine Dion, Bob Marley, Sublime
  • Three Favorite Albums: Again, can't narrow it down to three, so let's say Station To Station (Bowie), Imperial Bedroom (Elvis Costello), The Queen Is Dead (The Smiths)
  • Three Favorite Songs: You're killing me with three favorite stuff. Choosing three random songs I love, "Sorted For E's & Wizz" (Pulp), "Fever" (Kylie Minogue), and "Night of the Swallow" (Kate Bush)

• All Time Favorite Band: Not a band, but David Bowie
  • Favorite Lead Singer: Peter Gabriel when he was with Genesis
  • Favorite Lead Guitarist: Prince
  • Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Robert Fripp
  • Favorite Bass Player: John Entwistle
  • Favorite Drummer: Bill Bruford
  • Favorite Decade of Rock: Toss up between the 70's and 80's
  • Favorite Concert: David Bowie at the Wiltern; I got to touch his hand.
  • Favorite Live Album: Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads)

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-04-12 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-04-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: vinyl, cassette, CD, MiniDisc, SACD, MP3
First Format You Purchased: vinyl
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): The Muppet Movie Soundtrack (I think...I probably would have been in kindergarten or first grade)
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: MP3
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: iPod, in the car and through various docking stations and home and work
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: at least 3 hours
Favorite Genre(s): alt.rock, alt.country, indie rock, indie pop, classical
Least Favorite Genre(s): rap, r&b, modern/"pop" country
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Uncle Tupelo, The Arcade Fire, The Connells
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Journey, 311, Dave Matthews Band
Three Favorite Albums: The Meadowlands - The Wrens, Funeral - The Arcade Fire, Memories of Murder Soundtrack - Taro Iwashiro
Three Favorite Songs: Rebellion (Lies) - The Arcade Fire, Your Love - The Outfield, Moonshiner - Uncle Tupelo
Old 02-06-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassette, CD, Digital, DVD-A
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Cannot remember, that was probably in 1988 or so
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: CD
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: Spotify (Digital) at work
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: 10-12 hours a day on weekdays; 2-4 hours a day on weekends
Favorite Genre(s): Post-Hardcore, Indie Pop/Rock, Rock, Hip-Hop, Folk, some Electronica
Least Favorite Genre(s): Twangy Country, Death Metal
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Aesop Rock, A Day to Remember, Story of the Year (so hard to narrow down to 3, and I only went with current acts)
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: I try not to listen to anything that is actively terrible, so I can't give an honest answer to this question without more thought
Three Favorite Albums: Aesop Rock - Labor Days, Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Three Favorite Songs: Boston - More Than a Feeling, Journey - Separate Ways (Worlds Apart), Aesop Rock - No Regrets

All Time Favorite Band: Journey
Favorite Lead Singer: Steve Perry
Favorite Decade of Rock: 1980's
Favorite Concert: The Civil Wars at Ferguson Hall
Favorite Live Album: Garth Brooks - Double Live
Old 02-06-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Here is mine (I could have filled these answers out a few different ways, so this list might change):

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassette, CD, Digital, DVD-A, Vinyl
First Format You Purchased: CD
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Nirvana – Unplugged in New York CD
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: Vinyl
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: Digital, all forms (streaming, download, iTunes, iPod…etc)
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: 8-12 hours a day, 7 days a week
Favorite Genre(s): Post-Hardcore, Hardcore, Indie Pop/Rock, Rock, Hip-Hop, Metal, Electronica (trip-hop, ambient…along those lines)
Least Favorite Genre(s): Dub Step, most Pop music, Dance, reggatone, Rap (huge difference between rap and hip-hop), top 40 country
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Opeth, Massive Attack, The Stooges
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Lil’ Wayne, celebrity singers and countless others (too many to name)
Three Favorite Albums: Beach Boys – Pet Sounds, Judas Priest – British Steel, Iggy & The Stooges – Raw Power
Three Favorite Songs: Iggy & The Stooges – Search & Destroy, Judas Priest – Living After Midnight, Queens Of The Stone Age – God Is In The Radio

All Time Favorite Band: Judas Priest
Favorite Lead Singer: Rob Halford
Favorite Decade of Rock: 1970’s
Favorite Concert: Hmm, The Rolling Stones – Giants Stadium or Brian Wilson – Mayo Arts Performing Arts Center
Favorite Live Album: Tie between UFO – Strangers in the Night and Kiss – Alive!
Old 02-06-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Cassette, Vinyl, CD, MP3, AAC, FLAC, DVD-Audio
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Storm Front
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: n/a, Spotify
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: See above
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: 4+ hours ideally, if I can at work
Favorite Genre(s): Almost all
Least Favorite Genre(s): Most metal, *-pop, most modern country
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers:
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers:
Three Favorite Albums:
Three Favorite Songs:

All Time Favorite Band:
Favorite Lead Singer:
Favorite Lead Guitarist:
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist:
Favorite Bass Player:
Favorite Drummer:
Favorite Decade of Rock:
Favorite Concert: The Pogues, Philadelphia, 2007
Favorite Live Album:
Old 02-06-12, 03:53 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Music Survey
  • Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: You name it, I've owned it.
  • First Format You Purchased: 45 rpm 7"
  • Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim
  • How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: In a record store
  • How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: At home in my living room
  • How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: an hour or two
  • Favorite Genre(s): Hard Bop
  • Least Favorite Genre(s): That detuned metal crap
  • Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Hank Mobley, Dexter Gordon, Sonny Rollins
  • Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Journey, The Doors, REO Speedwagon
  • Three Favorite Albums: Hank Mobley - Roll Call, Dexter Gordon - Go!, Miles Davis - Cookin' With the Miles Davis Quintet
  • Three Favorite Songs: "Over the Rainbow", "What Is This Thing Called Love", "Yardbird Suite"

• All Time Favorite Band: Big Star
  • Favorite Lead Singer: Van Morrison
  • Favorite Lead Guitarist: Tom Verlaine
  • Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Pete Townshend
  • Favorite Bass Player: Donald "Duck" Dunn
  • Favorite Drummer: Jody Stephens
  • Favorite Decade of Rock: '70s
  • Favorite Concert: R.E.M./The Beat, Lexington KY, April 1983.
  • Favorite Live Album: The Who - Live at Leeds or 1969 Velvet Underground Live With Lou Reed
Old 02-06-12, 03:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
  • Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Vinyl, Casette, CD, Digital (MP3/FLAC, etc.), Blu-ray, DVD-A, SACD
  • First Format You Purchased: Casette
  • Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Big Ones (Aerosmith, embarrassingly)
  • How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: Vinyl
  • How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: In car or at work on speakers.
  • How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: Depending on the day, usually between 4-6 hours. Sometimes more.
  • Favorite Genre(s): Rock, Jazz, Classical, Experimental, Pop, Soul
  • Least Favorite Genre(s): Reggae, Holiday, Country Pop
  • Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Can't narrow it down to three, but let's say David Bowie, The Residents, Peter Gabriel
  • Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Celine Dion, Bob Marley, Sublime
  • Three Favorite Albums: Again, can't narrow it down to three, so let's say Station To Station (Bowie), Imperial Bedroom (Elvis Costello), The Queen Is Dead (The Smiths)
  • Three Favorite Songs: You're killing me with three favorite stuff. Choosing three random songs I love, "Sorted For E's & Wizz" (Pulp), "Fever" (Kylie Minogue), and "Night of the Swallow" (Kate Bush)

• All Time Favorite Band: Not a band, but David Bowie
  • Favorite Lead Singer: Peter Gabriel when he was with Genesis
  • Favorite Lead Guitarist: Prince
  • Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Robert Fripp
  • Favorite Bass Player: John Entwistle
  • Favorite Drummer: Bill Bruford
  • Favorite Decade of Rock: Toss up between the 70's and 80's
  • Favorite Concert: David Bowie at the Wiltern; I got to touch his hand.
  • Favorite Live Album: Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads)
oh... for some reason I thought you were older.
Old 02-06-12, 04:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Music Survey
Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: cassette, vinyl, CD, Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-Audio
First Format You Purchased: vinyl (45)
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): CD: 'Chariots of Fire' OST
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: in a music store
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: a majority of it's on my Ipod classic, so I let it shuffle
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: an hour
Favorite Genre(s): electronica dance, film scores, 70's rock and disco. 90's Brit-pop Broadway show tunes
Least Favorite Genre(s): hardcore rap
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Pink Floyd, Basement Jaxx, Talking Heads
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: the majority of what the Pulse (Sirius/XM) plays
Three Favorite Albums: The Wall, Abbey Road, Rings Around the World (Super Furry Animals)
Three Favorite Songs: "I'll Find My Way Home" (Jon & Vangelis) / Lazarus (Porcupine Tree) / "Still Within the Sound of My Voice" (Linda Rondstadt)

All Time Favorite Band: The Who
Favorite Lead Singer: Miriam Makeba
Favorite Lead Guitarist: Ry Cooder
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Pete Townshend (The Who)
Favorite Bass Player: John Entwistle (The Who)
Favorite Drummer: Keith Moon (The Who)
Favorite Decade of Rock: 1970's
Favorite Concert: Art of Noise (Bottom of the Hill - San Francisco)
Favorite Live Album: Deep Forest: Live from Japan

Last edited by Giles; 02-10-12 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 04:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Music Survey

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: 8 track, cassette, vinyl, cd, mp3, sacd
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): CD: Garth Brooks – Fresh Horses
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: Desktop speaker system
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: 3-4 hours

Favorite Genre(s): classic rock, metal
Least Favorite Genre(s): top 40, dubstep, “indie”
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Eagles, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Nickelback, Madonna, Lady Gaga
Three Favorite Albums: Derek & the Dominos – Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs, Led Zeppelin – Houses of the Holy, AC/DC – Back in Black
Three Favorite Songs: Eagles – Already Gone, Rolling Stones – Honky Tonk Women, AC/DC – You Shook Me All Night Long

All Time Favorite Band: Eagles
Favorite Lead Singer: Lemmy
Favorite Lead Guitarist: Eric Clapton
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Malcolm Young
Favorite Bass Player: Jack Bruce
Favorite Drummer: Don Henley
Favorite Decade of Rock: 1970s
Favorite Concert: Iron Maiden – Somewhere Back in Time Tour
Favorite Live Album: KISS Alive!
Old 02-06-12, 05:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: vinyl, cassette, CD, Mp3
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): CD: Bolt Thrower- Warmaster
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: CD
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: 40 mins.
Favorite Genre(s): Metal (Death/Black), Soundtracks (60's-80's), Post modern surf
Least Favorite Genre(s): Pop/top 40, Nu-metal, Screamo
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Man or Astroman, Zombi, Type O Neg.
Three Favorite Albums: "Destroy all Astromen" -Man or Astroman, "Bloody Kisses" -Type O Neg., "Mutter" -Rammstein
Three Favorite Songs: "Ich Will" -Rammstein, "Clean up on Aisle #9 (Turn up the Monitors)" -Man or Astroman, "Sapphire" -Zombi
Old 02-06-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Music Survey

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: All vinyl formats, cassettes, CDs, MP3s and the like
First Format You Purchased: 45rpm vinyl
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Neil Diamond 12 Greatest Hits
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: Online
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: Streaming through service or from home PC
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: Up to an hour or two
Favorite Genre(s): New Wave
Least Favorite Genre(s): Hip-hop, metal
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Gary Numan, Ultravox, a-ha
Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Cougar Mellencamp, Lady Gaga
Three Favorite Albums: Gary Numan Telekon, Ultravox Rage In Eden, DEVO Freedom Of Choice
Three Favorite Songs: Gary Numan - "Berserker", a-ha "Manhattan Skyline", YMO "Cue"

All Time Favorite Band: Ultravox
Favorite Lead Singer: Morten Harket
Favorite Lead Guitarist: Midge Ure
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: none
Favorite Bass Player: Rrussell Bell
Favorite Drummer: Yukihiro Takahashi
Favorite Decade of Rock: '80s
Favorite Concert: a-ha Farewell Tour 2010, Riviera Theater, Chicago
Favorite Live Album: John Foxx - The Omnidelic Exotour 1998
Old 02-06-12, 06:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
oh... for some reason I thought you were older.
I'm 27 going on 40.
Old 02-06-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

OK, if Giles can admit his love for Broadway in the fine print, I can submit my answers

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: LP, 45, audiocassette, CD, mini CD, SACD, DVD-A, digital
First Format You Purchased: LP
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Beatles 20 (hits compilation)
How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: online
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: iPod on headphones or speaker dock
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: An hour/day

Favorite Genre(s): Broadway, jazz, classical, rock, pop, country
Least Favorite Genre(s): Rap
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Beatles, Stephen Sondheim, Clifford Brown
Three Favorite Albums: Beatles Revolver, Miles Davis Kind of Blue, West Side Story original Broadway cast,
Three Favorite Songs: God Only Knows, Stardust, Something

All Time Favorite Band:
Favorite Lead Singer:
Favorite Lead Guitarist:
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist:
Favorite Bass Player:
Favorite Drummer:
Favorite Decade of Rock:
Favorite Concert:
Favorite Live Album:
Old 02-06-12, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Music Survey

Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime:45, LP, EP, 8-track, cassette, CD, digital
First Format You Purchased: LP
Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Blue Cheer: Outsideinside
How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: ipod/computer
How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: 1-2+hours

Favorite Genre(s):rock, pop, synthpop, electronica, dance, trance, jazz, soul, funk
Least Favorite Genre(s):slick modern Country
Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Brian Eno
Three Favorite Albums: Abbey Road, Blonde on Blonde, Exile on Main Street
Three Favorite Songs: Currently: John Cale, Half Past France; Roxy Music, Mother of Pearl; Talking Heads, Cross-eyed and Painless (live Rome, 1980). All time: side two of Abbey Road, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (Dylan), No One Receiving (Eno)

All Time Favorite Band: The Beatles
Favorite Lead Singer: Mick Jagger
Favorite Lead Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Pete Townshend
Favorite Bass Player: John Entwhistle
Favorite Drummer: Kieth Moon
Favorite Decade of Rock: 1970's
Favorite Concert: Prince 1983 Universal Amphitheatre or Husker Du shows
Favorite Live Album: Live at Leeds
Old 02-07-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

• Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: vinyl, cassette, CD, digital
  • First Format You Purchased: cassette
  • Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Stone Temple Pilots' Purple
  • How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: on CD, from my local independent record store, though I now usually go with Amazon for pricing & to avoid a 40-minute round trip drive
  • How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: iPod
  • How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: varies wildly, from none to pretty much the entire day
  • Favorite Genre(s): too hard to say, there are artists I love and hate in almost every genre. Most of the stuff I currently buy would probably be labeled 'indie rock', though that designation doesn't mean much
  • Least Favorite Genre(s): Top 40 homogenized pop, modern country
  • Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers: Doves, The Frames, Arcade Fire*
  • Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers: Nickelback, LMFAO, Soulja Boy*
  • Three Favorite Albums: Doves' Lost Souls, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, The Antlers' Hospice*
  • Three Favorite Songs: Doves' "Pounding", Queen's "Under Pressure", Josh Ritter's "Thin Blue Flame"*
  • All Time Favorite Band: *
  • Favorite Lead Singer: Jimi Goodwin*
  • Favorite Lead Guitarist: Brian May*
  • Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Jack White*
  • Favorite Bass Player: Jeff Ament*
  • Favorite Drummer: Brian Rosenworcel*
  • Favorite Decade of Rock: 1990 - 1999
  • Favorite Concert: U2 at Soldier Field in 1997
  • Favorite Live Album: Muse's HAARP*

* I can't really do all-time or best picks, as there are too many bands, albums and songs I love and it'd take forever. With these types of lists/surveys, I have to just go with favorites that immediately pop to mind without too much analysis or I'd drive myself crazy.

Last edited by maxfisher; 02-07-12 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-07-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Okay, let's see how this goes..

Music Survey

• Formats You Have Owned In Your Lifetime: Vinyl, Cassette, CD, MP3
• First Format You Purchased: If you're talking personally, probably cassette. Otherwise, vinyl.
• Title of First Album You Purchased (Any Format): Since I have no clue as to what I personally bought nor owned first since I was into music quite young I'll go with "The Monkees: The Best of... Then & Now" on vinyl.
• How Do You Prefer To Buy Your Music: CD
• How Do You Most Often Listen To Your Music: On CD; I will forever be a physical format person
• How Much Time In A Day Do You Spend Listening to Music: 2-3 hours on average

• Favorite Genre(s): Rockabilly
• Least Favorite Genre(s): Rap or hip hop
• Top Three Favorite Bands/Singers:
• Three Least Favorite Bands/Singers:
• Three Favorite Albums: This is the only area of favorites I can list, and the only qualifier is that the first time I heard the albums, they blew me away for whatever reason. But I'm going to cheat since my list includes one more than asked for : Brian Setzer Orchestra "Guitar Slinger" / Oingo Boingo "Farewell" / James Darren "This One's From The Heart" / The Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time Further Out"
• Three Favorite Songs: I wouldn't call these my "favorite" songs, but they're the closest I can squeeze into this category. There are three songs that I could listen to endlessly and not tire of, and they're: A-Ha "Take On Me" / Sue Foley "Walking Home" / Fleetwood Mac "Eyes Of The World"
Old 02-07-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil
Favorite Rhythm Guitarist: Pete Townshend
Favorite Bass Player: John Entwhistle
Favorite Drummer: Kieth Moon
Favorite Live Album: Live at Leeds
Found it interesting that you didn't list The Who as one of your favorite bands.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.