TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Awake (NBC) -- Finally airing Thursday March 1st 10pm

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Awake (NBC) -- Finally airing Thursday March 1st 10pm

Trailer:

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1327542" frameborder="0"></iframe>

NBC UNVEILS INTRIGUING NEW DRAMA ‘AWAKE’ TO PREMIERE ON THURSDAY, MARCH 1 (10-11 P.M. ET)

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – February 3, 2012 – NBC will premiere its intriguing new drama “Awake” on Thursday, March 1 (10-11 p.m. ET), starring Jason Isaacs ("Harry Potter," "Brotherhood") as a detective who finds he is leading a complex double life that defies reality. The series will continue on Thursdays (10-11 p.m. ET).

“The Firm” will move from Thursdays (10-11 p.m. ET) to Saturdays (9-10 p.m. ET) beginning February 11, where the drama will resume with original episodes. Encore episodes of “Grimm” will air Thursdays (10-11 p.m. ET) beginning on February 9.

The announcements were made today by Robert Greenblatt, Chairman of NBC Entertainment.

From executive producers Kyle Killen (“Lone Star”) and Howard Gordon (“Homeland,” “24”), “Awake” is an intriguing drama about Detective Michael Britten (Isaacs) who finds he’s living two parallel lives. He’s involved in a car accident that seems to have killed both his son (Dylan Minnette, "Saving Grace") and wife (Laura Allen, "Terriers"), yet his mind creates an ingenious coping mechanism in which he now lives two separate lives – one where his wife survived and the other where his son did.

Trying to regain some normalcy, Michael returns to solving crimes in both worlds with the help of two different partners, Detective Isaiah "Bird" Freeman (Steve Harris, "The Practice") and Detective Efrem Vega (Wilmer Valderrama, "That '70s Show"). Michael is assigned a different case in each reality and quickly discovers that his dual existence is actually a powerful tool. He begins to solve impossible cases by using his two realities to gain unique perspectives and link clues that cross over from world to world.

Helping Michael to navigate his two realities are his bureau-assigned therapists Dr. Evans (Emmy Award winner Cherry Jones, "24") and Dr. Lee (BD Wong, NBC's "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"). While both therapists work to untangle his two worlds, Michael has no interest in proving either one is false. But when memories of the accident begin to haunt him, he is forced to confront the truth about what really happened the night of the crash.

“Awake” is produced by Twentieth Century Fox Television.
Old 02-03-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Awake (NBC) -- Finally airing Thursday March 1st 10pm

I did a separate thread because I know alot of people here would overlook the premiere date thread or don't know anything about this show.

I'm glad it's finally premiering. Hopefully it does better than Prime Suspect and The Firm.
Old 02-03-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds kinda cool.
Old 02-03-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/26/kevin-weisman-awake/

Kevin Weisman from Alias joined the cast recently in a recurring role.
Old 02-03-12, 01:17 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

sounds like a really fantastic concept..... for a movie.
Old 02-03-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been waiting a long time for this!
Old 02-03-12, 01:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Been looking forward to this as well. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a dud like the other mid-season show I had hopes for (The Firm).
Old 02-03-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Finally! Everyone seems to agree that it's the absolute best of the pilots from last year.
Old 02-03-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm hoping that Howard Gordon has a 2nd hit on his hands after the success of Homeland this past Fall. Although Gordon was brought in after the Pilot was shot. This show is actually Kyle Killen's creation.
Old 02-03-12, 04:37 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll give Kyle Killen the benefit of the doubt. I liked Lone Star (all two episodes that we got to see ).
Old 02-03-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Here's my review of the pilot from last year:

I saw the pilot at Comic-Con a couple months ago, and have been meaning to write my thoughts on it. Like many of you, I was very interested in it from the trailer, so I made it a point to attend its panel.

They showed the full pilot, and it was pretty cool. I'd say it's pretty much what you'd expect, based on the trailer. It lived up to its promise, but no more. It's certainly very interesting and unique.

As you might have seen, they use different visual techniques to cue you into which world you're watching. The world where the son survived is very cool looking, and the world where the wife survived is very warm looking. It can still be a bit challenging at first to keep track of which events happened in which world.

Very minor pilot and show spoilers:
Spoiler:
The pilot has the detective working on two different cases, one in each world. Although there are different events, some of the facts and events start converging, and one world can inform the other.

He has a therapist in each world, each trying to convince him that the other world is a fiction.

One interesting point during the panel discussion is that Jason Issacs said at one point "just don't ask me which one is real." And the producer or writer at one point said there would be clues about the worlds. Basically, it was almost implying that maybe one world was actually real and one was not, which had not actually crossed my mind.

Someone also asked about the fact that he doesn't seem to be sleeping (since he's always awake in one world or the other), and they mentioned that the fatigue and mental toll would be addressed as the season progressed

Jason Issacs was very good as the main character. He really carries the show. The supporting cast was generally very good too. Well-shot; nice production values.

One of the things they mentioned is that the show is kind of like a police procedural. So he'll have case(s) of the week type of thing. But they also made note that because of his personal situation with his wife and son, that we see a lot more of his character and personal struggles than the typical kind of police procedurals on TV today.

Anyway, it's a series that's definitely worth a look.
Old 02-03-12, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVED Lonestar (Fuck you, Fox) so if this is from the creator of that, I'm all on board.

Originally Posted by Gunde
Finally! Everyone seems to agree that it's the absolute best of the pilots from last year.
Uh Oh. They said the same thing about Lonestar the year it premiered and that got cancelled after two episodes.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 02-03-12 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I LOVED Lonestar (Fuck you, Fox) so if this is from the creator of that, I'm all on board.

Uh Oh. They said the same thing about Lonestar the year it premiered and that got cancelled after two episodes.
NBC has much lower expectations for a show than FOX does for one that was following House.

I find it interesting that the creator went from one show about a guy living a double life, to one about a guy stuck in a double life.

I remember reading about this show last year when it was called R.E.M. during the pilot stage. I didn't make the connection when NBC picked it up since they changed the name and it wasn't on the fall schedule. I did think it was one of the more interesting concepts of last pilot season, so it's nice to know it is going to air.
Old 02-06-12, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I did a separate thread because I know alot of people here would overlook the premiere date thread or don't know anything about this show.
Thank you for that. I would have missed it.

My most anticipated new show of the '11-'12 season. Lots of procedurals this year. Loved Prime Suspect. Like Person of Interest. Lukewarm on Alacatraz so far. Hopefully this is better than all of those.
Old 02-06-12, 02:15 PM

I'm really looking forward to this show, but the commercial they showed for it during the Superbowl last night wasn't that good.
Old 02-15-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first 8 minutes of the pilot, in case anyone is interested...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uU4EWtMP3RQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-15-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

7?
Old 02-15-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

/\ Yeah, I know... The article I found the clip on listed it as 7 minutes, also
Old 02-15-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I REALLY am looking forward to this premiere.
I think the big reveal at the end of the series will be
Spoiler:
he died in the car accident and not his wife/son
Old 02-16-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The whole pilot is now online.

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1385322" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Personally, I'm going to wait and watch it after it airs.
Old 02-16-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Looks like it could be really good. I did get a "My Own Worst Enemy" vibe from it though.
Old 02-16-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I REALLY am looking forward to this premiere.
I think the big reveal at the end of the series will be
Spoiler:
he died in the car accident and not his wife/son
That's my thought as well, but it really seems like it could turn into another Lost. Everyone nails how the show ends in the pilot and then the creators try and convince viewers otherwise for six years until giving everyone the ending they figured out all those years ago.
Old 02-16-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds interesting. I'll definitely give it a shot.
Old 02-16-12, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the pilot and thought it was great. Jason Isaacs makes a strong lead and the whole cast is solid. The script was really good; they bounce back and forth between the two realities, but it's not confusing.

The picture looked great on my laptop. Very crisp with a nice color palette (I guess you'd call it that). Can't wait to see what it looks like on TV.

I don't have high hopes that it'll find an audience, though: 1) It's on NBC 2) The tone is mostly somber and low-key 3) It's not hard to follow, but you do need to pay attention.

Bottom line: If you liked the promo, I think you'll like the pilot.
Old 02-17-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck it, I'm going to watch the pilot now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.