Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What ever happened too (The) Sporting News?

dvd-4-life
01-31-12, 05:34 PM
This used to be the Bible of Baseball. I had over a 36 yr consecutive issue run. Once they stopped publishing MLB box scores(but continued with NFL summaries) ,thats when it went downhill fast.

Never to this day do I understand the Sports Illustrated fasination. I was always more interested in stats than a storyline.

I guess it comes down to the computer age. Everything in a newspaper(or magazine) today is a day late and/or a dollar short.

There was nothing I looked forward too back in the late 1960s than taking my weekly allowance and buying the latest issue.

Still have the majority of them except for the last few years I collected because by then there was no reason to collect them.

Long live the day when you could get minor league box scores on a weekly basis.

fujishig
01-31-12, 06:09 PM
I didn't even know they ended the magazine (though apparently it's now monthly and basically sports previews: http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-10-19/magazine-subscription-information-customer-service)

I used to love all the stats, and the breakdowns of each team by market for the various sports, but I do think the internet has done them in. SI is primarily article/writer-driven. ESPN mag basically has absolutely no news at all in it, it's just blurbs and layouts with some in-depth articles here and there.

I remember doing fantasy basketball a long time ago and the big reason you'd go with a big service (besides the matchmaking stuff) was that they would compile stats for you, which didn't stop us from trying to do it ourselves. Now that's all available in real time.

dvd-4-life
01-31-12, 08:12 PM
I knew something was fishy when I checked Sporting News website and it has highlighted Sports Illustrated stories. Its too bad that SI didn't purchase it and make it a sister publication devoted mostly to stats,box scores,etc.

JeffTheAlpaca
02-02-12, 04:08 PM
I still have a subcription (one of those $6 for 4 years at Ebay deals) but I have not received any monthly magazines in the mail and the last issue I got was their big anniversary issue.

Hulkabrgr
02-02-12, 06:48 PM
I was a twenty plus year subscriber, and let me subscription run out in 2009. They stopped having regular columns and instead had sports figures guest write. It is shame what happened to the mag, it was a great alternative to the SI.

davidh777
02-02-12, 07:36 PM
I was a subscriber to TSN but never to SI. It really was for people who liked to devour box scores and minor-league info. I think that kind of periodical has little chance to survive in the www era.

wendersfan
02-03-12, 08:55 AM
I used to buy it (as a weekly) a lot when I was young but haven't even thought of it in years. There's this thing called the internet where I can find all sorts of stats and box scores.

bralph
02-03-12, 11:11 AM
I never subscribed to TSN, but I have been a Sports Weekly subscriber for years and I still look forward to it every week. Sure, most of the stuff I can get online, but I still enjoy it. I particularly enjoy reading their organizational previews during the off-season.

BrewCrew
02-03-12, 11:13 AM
The Sporting News was my favorite sports magazine, much better than Sports Illustrated, and I had one of those deals where I was going to get it for a few more years for cheap. About a month ago I received a letter from them indicating that the magazine was ending and I would be getting one free issue of what they are doing now on a monthly basis.

PhantomStranger
02-03-12, 03:52 PM
Most of the magazines we grew up with are out of business or will be going out of business in the Internet age. There is not a market anymore for slightly out-of-date periodical content when news happens in the blink of an eye on Twitter.

JP5683
07-07-12, 02:26 AM
Sporting news was great. Got a couple of free years from deals here, let my sub lapse whenever they started the Sporting News Today daily email thing.

Heard they had an app for tablets/androids/ithings but never had any of the above

Got my first android phone about 3 weeks ago, there are seperate apps for each major sport but no comprehensive app.

planetcoke
08-10-12, 11:09 PM
The Sporting News was my favorite sports magazine, much better than Sports Illustrated, and I had one of those deals where I was going to get it for a few more years for cheap. About a month ago I received a letter from them indicating that the magazine was ending and I would be getting one free issue of what they are doing now on a monthly basis.

Same Here. I Loved The Sporting News Magazine. It was also my Favorite. I really enjoyed it when it was Weekly. Then when it went to every other week it was still good. Luckily I saw what they were doing and got a full refund for the couple of years I had left on my subscription. I now subscribe to ESPN The Magazine, which is an adequate replacement.