Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Death Wish - remake (D: Eli Roth) S: Bruce Willis

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slashfilm.com
I’m not sure what to make of this. Only hours after Joe Carnahan reasserted himself with the release of The Grey (my positive review is here), the director was announced as the writer and director of a remake of Death Wish.

Originally released in 1974, Michael Winner‘s Death Wish is a pretty slight film that nevertheless hit a nerve as fears of urban crime started to escalate. Charles Bronson plays Paul Kersey, an architect whose wife is killed during a home invasion that leads to rape; his daughter is caught up in the same event and is institutionalized as a result. Re-introduced to firearms during a business trip, Kersey takes to the streets of New York as a vigilante. Walking around alone at night, he deliberately invites criminal acts, then shoots the perpetrators.

Death Wish has been on the table as a remake or reboot over the past couple decades. What will Joe Carnahan do with it now?
The LA Times announces the deal, and doesn’t have much to offer about the project other than that it is intended as a reboot of Michael Winner’s film.

So what does Death Wish have to say today? Urban crime is generally on the decline. Even in my home of Atlanta, where robberies and street crime are still relatively common, overall crime figures are down. We’ve got a severaly budget-challenged police force which has nonetheless savaged a couple of local criminal gangs. New York, meanwhile, is a completely different city than it was in the early ’70s, and a far safer one. (Though a friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint on the Upper East Side about 24 hours before this remake was announced, so I can’t say that NYC street crime is gone.)
i don't think this is a good idea however i wouldn't mind seeing Neeson in the role
Old 01-31-12, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: Death Wish - Remake in the works

The only way I could accept this is with Neeson. I agree with the article that its such a different time now, than when the book was published along with the movie. It can work, but it was such a product of its time.
Old 01-31-12, 07:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Would love to see Kevin Bacon or Jodie Foster in the lead.
Old 01-31-12, 07:15 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be interested w/ this if it were Neeson in the role. Carnahan and Neeson are 2 for 2.
Old 01-31-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
i was thinking that too. we just basically had 2 DEATH WISH remakes. not exactly sure what could be brought to the table.
Old 01-31-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

If it finally get the original on Blu I am all for it. But agree that this genre has been there and done that.
Old 01-31-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I see what you did there...
Old 01-31-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't take this remake shit much longer.
Old 01-31-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought he had hinted at a Narc 2. I hope that still goes through.
Old 01-31-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't Stallone attached to this a few years ago?
Old 01-31-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Charles Bronson > any man working in Hollywood today
Old 01-31-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Isn't this the remake in which Stallone wanted to star?
Old 01-31-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Isn't this the remake in which Stallone wanted to star?
Yeah he had mentioned wanting to do it during that Q & A session on Aint it Cool News. He got a big response from fans who wanted him to leave it alone. He agreed with them in the next session.
Old 01-31-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Neeson or don't fucking bother.
Old 02-01-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

You know I was giving it some good thought last night...and I thought about only one man...one man that is the epitomy of danger...one where thugs, crackheads, rapists, will run for their lives. With one stare he is able to bend a thugs knife into a paper clip...that man is...

Old 02-24-13, 02:17 PM
Suspended

I guess he's off the remake now cause he didn't want to use Bruce Willis which I can understand. I didn't know this though. Somebody should call Don Cheadle or William Macy for this.

I said this in the past, that material was originally intended for Sidney Lumet and Jack Lemmon. That’s who was going to make DEATH WISH and that fascinates me, the idea of those two guys making that movie. So that’s what I’m kind of interested in revisiting and not so much the novel as so much the notion of vengeance, the notion of what it’s like to take a relatively or completely peaceful man, not necessarily a pacifist, but a peaceful man, a guy who has not known violence in his life and introduce it in such a horrific fashion that it fundamentally alters you, you know, genetically, it does something to you that you can’t undo. So it’s much more of a psychological attack on DEATH WISH...
http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/deat...-bruce-willis/
Old 02-24-13, 03:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I share Carnahan's reluctance in casting a known "tough guy" in the role, but then again I found Charles Bronson perfectly believable as a milquetoast architect in the original.
Old 02-24-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Josh Brolin could do a good job with this.
Old 02-24-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Charles Bronson > any man working in Hollywood today

I love Charles Bronson too, but to be fair... he was a one note actor. Yeah he played that one note well.
Old 02-24-13, 06:54 PM

Never cared for Death Wish, so I don't know what this remake could do that the original didn't. Willis isn't about playing realistic schmucks anymore, so I expect a high octane bloody revenge pic, grrr!
Old 02-25-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Daniel Radcliffe or no sale.
Old 03-22-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Joe Carnahan is out and Gerardo Naranjo is in.

Fans of the 1974 crime drama Death Wish were outraged last year when a remake of the property was announced. Since then, director Joe Carnahan was busy developing the property, drafting the script from the Brian Garfield novel, transporting its setting from New York to Los Angeles and looking to include a role for Frank Grillo, co-star of Carnahan's last feature The Grey. But then last month, Carnahan surprised us by dropping the project, reportedly over a disagreement with the studio as to who should star.

Death Wish is almost back on track as Variety reveals MGM and Paramount have entered into negotiations with Gerardo Naranjo to take over the project. Though he has several features to his credit, Naranjo is best known for the 2011's Miss Bala, which played at such prestigious venues as the Cannes Film Festival, the Toronto International Film Festival, and the New York Film Festival, gaining much critical praise along the way.

Considering Miss Bala was considered a gritty crime thriller, Naranjo seems a logical choice for an adaptation of the Charles Bronson classic that spawned four sequels. Its story centers on New York City architect Paul Kersey, a husband, father, and upstanding citizen who becomes a vengeance-driven vigilante once his wife is murdered and his daughter raped by thugs.

From here, Naranjo and the studios will move on to casting the lead. The studio had previously approached Brad Pitt, Will Smith, and Bruce Willis. It'll be curious to see if they can land such big name stars with a lesser-known helmer on board. Regardless, this is a major opportunity for Naranjo, whose also attached to The Mountain Between Us for Chernin Enterntainment.

If you haven't already seen it then you should really checkout his film: Miss Bala.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g357MHuj8WE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-22-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^I blind-watched that on HBO one night and wasn't expecting it to be a bloodsoaked bullet-fest. I'm really curious to see how Naranjo handles this.
Old 03-22-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^I blind-watched that on HBO one night and wasn't expecting it to be a bloodsoaked bullet-fest. I'm really curious to see how Naranjo handles this.
Yep, it was uber violent. True story, as well.
Old 03-22-13, 10:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

From here, Naranjo and the studios will move on to casting the lead. The studio had previously approached Brad Pitt, Will Smith, and Bruce Willis. It'll be curious to see if they can land such big name stars with a lesser-known helmer on board. Regardless, this is a major opportunity for Naranjo, whose also attached to The Mountain Between Us for Chernin Enterntainment.

If you haven't already seen it then you should really checkout his film: Miss Bala.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g357MHuj8WE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
None of those people please. It'll never happen but Jeffrey Wright seems like he'd be an awesome vigilante. Keep in mind he transforms from a mild mannered business man to a vigilante. Wright has that those kind of acting chops. My other choices would be Bruce Greenwood or William H. Macy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.