DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DVD Polizei
Print Wikipost

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Old 05-20-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

I absolutely loved Sucker Punch. Well worth the $5...it's got style to spare. Great action, great directing and editing, solid sound, and sweet visuals. You will either love or hate the concept and plot, as those are the film's weakest points. I think people are overly hard on it, and most of them don't even understand it to begin with.
Old 05-21-12, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I absolutely loved Sucker Punch. Well worth the $5...it's got style to spare. Great action, great directing and editing, solid sound, and sweet visuals. You will either love or hate the concept and plot, as those are the film's weakest points. I think people are overly hard on it, and most of them don't even understand it to begin with.
When/where was this $5 deal for Sucker Punch Extended Cut BD + DVD combo pack advertised? I didn't see it in a Deal of the Day nor in their ad this week. I'm just curious because even though I already have it (paid $7.99 at BB.com last November), I'd like to know how I missed seeing the deal.

My 2 cents on Sucker Punch is I heard very mixed reviews and was uneasy paying $7.99 on a blind buy, but overall I thought it was OK and it kept my attention. To me the weakest part was the total ridiculousness of some of the fights, but since it's all in her mind I guess the wimpy-in-real-life Baby Doll gets super magic powers and can destroy giant creatures and fly through the air. It's worth $5... barely worth $7.99. And I think some people described it as "a bunch of hot babes kicking butt". Well, I'd dispute the hot part. The girl who played Baby Doll isn't ugly but surely isn't hot.
Old 05-21-12, 10:50 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Agree definitely worth $5.00 if anything to skip to the fight scenes for some eye candy visuals

PS: I missed the $5.00 pricepoint too oh well
Old 05-21-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manzana
When/where was this $5 deal for Sucker Punch Extended Cut BD + DVD combo pack advertised? I didn't see it in a Deal of the Day nor in their ad this week. I'm just curious because even though I already have it (paid $7.99 at BB.com last November), I'd like to know how I missed seeing the deal.

My 2 cents on Sucker Punch is I heard very mixed reviews and was uneasy paying $7.99 on a blind buy, but overall I thought it was OK and it kept my attention. To me the weakest part was the total ridiculousness of some of the fights, but since it's all in her mind I guess the wimpy-in-real-life Baby Doll gets super magic powers and can destroy giant creatures and fly through the air. It's worth $5... barely worth $7.99. And I think some people described it as "a bunch of hot babes kicking butt". Well, I'd dispute the hot part. The girl who played Baby Doll isn't ugly but surely isn't hot.
It was right along with all of the other $5 movies on that stand they had set up I a main aisle.
Old 05-21-12, 11:16 AM
Cool New Member

Suckerpunch was a great movie actually. Of course, there were more unfavorable reviews than favorable. But in my opinion... great flick and great action and lovely eye candy!

For $5... well worth it.
Old 05-21-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sucker Punch for $5 I saw at the store was the one disc only copy (not the two disc extended cut).
Old 05-21-12, 11:52 PM

Yes. The one I purchased was a single disc.
Old 05-22-12, 09:01 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 (1985) is $7.99 online and somehow appears widely avaliable in my area. Fingers crossed for more readily avaliable (and cheap) Kino Redemption titles.
Old 05-22-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 (1985) is $7.99 online and somehow appears widely avaliable in my area. Fingers crossed for more readily avaliable (and cheap) Kino Redemption titles.
Thanks for the heads up!

Hopefully the price is the same in-store. Going to stop by my local BB on the way back from work.
Old 05-23-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Noticed these two Fox four-film repackagings (in single-width Blu-ray cases) at a Best Buy this past weekend for $29.99. I'm sure whatever flaws were in the originals (if any) are present in these. I expected Warner to do something like this first, actually, but they seem to be content to bundle up old discs into three-packs instead.

BUTCH CASSIDY/COMANCHEROS/HORSE SOLDIERS/FISTFUL OF DOLLARS:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Butch+Ca...&skuId=5360785

TORA TORA/PATTON/SAND PEBBLES/LONGEST DAY:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Patton/T...&skuId=5360776

Old 05-24-12, 09:45 AM

As with 95% of the bundles that come out months (or years) after the original BD releases, I have at least 1 or 2 movies in every bundle they offer. Therefore, buying bundles rarely works for me. There were a few Fox 3 packs that were $15-ish at Fry's once upon a time where I didn't have any movies in the pack, but that's a rarity. Plus Butch and Patton will be the same transfers that people complain about as being waxy DNR processed.
Old 05-24-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dirty Pretty Things (pre-order) is only $5.99 at bestbuy.com. Release date 7/17

Link
Old 05-25-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Picked up the above today, they had a stack all with $7.99 tags. And in case anyone hasn't been in in awhile BB has the original Inglorious Bastards also at $7.99.

Picked up How To Train Your Dragon 3-D today, did not ring up the sales price of $22.99, rang up list. Then the cashier tried to pull the fake website trick on me. So I had her go check the shelf and when she got back she begrudgingly changed it to the sales price, noting it as an expired tag.
Old 05-25-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Just an FYI, Inglorious Bastards has been $7.99 since it's initial release and will probably always be $7.99. Or lower.
Old 05-25-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Just an FYI, Inglorious Bastards has been $7.99 since it's initial release and will probably always be $7.99. Or lower.
It's not on sale for $7.99. $7.99 is the everyday price tag for this title at BB.
Old 05-25-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The post before me implied it was on sale, but it isn't. Almost bought it myself a month or so ago. Too bad the remake can't be that price.
Old 05-25-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Wasn't implying sale. But I am liking these culty $7.99 titles, just wanted to let others know who might have missed it or don't frequent BB.
Old 05-26-12, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

For sure. I'm kinda holding back, waiting for Amazon, BB, and whoever to have a few sales that'll catch us by surprise.
Old 05-27-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Heads up, but Planet Earth (the 6 disc special edition; a little inferior in picture quality but has the behind the scenes stuff) and Life are both $19.99 online right now. It may be available instore for some, but I had to do shipping myself. I already have some Christmas shopping done now.

Planet Earth http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Planet+E...015&id=2242627

Life http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Life+(At...015&id=2099261
Old 05-27-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, and Deadwood Complete Series is $64.99. Hopefully Amazon price matches or refunds the price for those that ordered last week. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Deadwood...wood&lp=1&cp=1

and Rome Complete Series is $42.99 and the individual seasons being $19.99. Best Buy is being really competitive right now and getting a lot of my money. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rome%3A+...Rome&lp=1&cp=1
Old 05-27-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy crap, but just saw that their is a sale on digibooks and STEELBOOKS! For $14.99 right now. There are 20 STEELBOOKS that are being released this tuesday.

They are:
All 3 Lord of the Rings
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
V For Vendetta
The Last Samura
Book Of Eli
Inception
Hangover
Hangover Part 2
Sherlock Holmes
Clash Of The Titans
Sucker Punch
Gran Torino
Matrix
Green Lantern
Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Old 05-27-12, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Heads up, but Planet Earth (the 6 disc special edition; a little inferior in picture quality but has the behind the scenes stuff) and Life are both $19.99 online right now. It may be available instore for some, but I had to do shipping myself. I already have some Christmas shopping done now.

Planet Earth http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Planet+E...015&id=2242627

Life http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Life+(At...015&id=2099261
Amazing! It's not your fault, but seriously not long before your post above I looked in this thread and other threads here to see if there were any deals, then saw the GoHastings 30% off email, went to BestBuy.com and Google to search on Planet Earth SE BD prices and saw it for full price everywhere (including BestBuy.com), so I ordered it used from GoHastings.com for about $20. Then I come back a couple hours later, see your post, and see the new price at BB. I'm used to prices dropping 31 or 91 days after I order and can't return, but less than 2 hours sets a new record.

GoHastings has no way to cancel my order online, and they are closed today, so I sent an email, but I have a sneaking suspicion they'll take their sweet time to read it and claim it's too late to cancel. If I refuse receipt of the package, will I get back all of my money or lose shipping (96c x 2)?

If Gohastings ships it anyway, I'm implementing a new rule never to pay more than $6 for any item there meaning I'll never order another used set from them ever again. I had this gut feeling/worry that this might happen, but not this fast. I should've trusted my gut.

Too bad BB they didn't put Frozen Planet BD on sale too.
Old 05-27-12, 12:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

^ What am I missing Manzana? You're going to the trouble to post and cancel orders over 96 cents per item?
Old 05-27-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe he wanted it new and added to his unwatched pile rather than getting it used?
Old 05-27-12, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by sotra
Maybe he wanted it new and added to his unwatched pile rather than getting it used?
Sotra is right. It's not the price I'm worried about (which is the same). It's getting new vs. used for the same price. Now if I knew that the one I'd get from GoHastings would be pristine and complete, I'd live with that, but I don't know that. So I ordered the new one from BB.com and I'm trying to cancel the used one from GoHastings (good luck on that).

I was just curious if I refuse receipt of my GoHastings package (assuming they don't try hard enough to cancel it before it ships) if I'd lose the 96c x 2 shipping costs. The reason for posting (besides the question) was that it's a new world record on a price drop for me... under 2 hours after I ordered. I was most amazed because I thoroughly searched everywhere (including BB.com) before ordering at GoHastings. BB dropped the price right after I ordered.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.