DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Warner goes 'Flippers' for new releases

Gizmo
01-26-12, 10:20 PM
For those who have not heard, Warner is now doing 'Flipper' Discs for their films.

Example: Harold and Kumar has both the Blu-ray and DVD on one disc.

Just thought I'd pass this along to those that hate these things.

trespoochies
01-26-12, 10:28 PM
Give us fucking good news please....My God this sucks. Now they're getting the HD-DVD treatment. Are they planning this for all new releases?

bigjim25
01-26-12, 10:54 PM
For those who have not heard, Warner is now doing 'Flipper' Discs for their films.

Example: Harold and Kumar has both the Blu-ray and DVD on one disc.

Just thought I'd pass this along to those that hate these things.

This could be interesting if Blockbuster continues to by their WB discs to rent and your store is still open. You'd at least get the BLU & DVD when you buy a used copy... ;)

bunkaroo
01-26-12, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the heads up - I'll be sure to import any of these titles that interest me.

davidh777
01-26-12, 10:58 PM
I'll be interested in hearing if there are any playability issues

Gizmo
01-26-12, 11:03 PM
Give us fucking good news please....My God this sucks. Now they're getting the HD-DVD treatment. Are they planning this for all new releases?

So far both the 3D and 2D editions have the BD and DVD on One disc.

So far...no idea. When is the next Warner title due out?

Now with UV, they go for 3 discs to...1.

riotinmyskull
01-27-12, 02:16 AM
:suicide:

joltman
01-27-12, 06:59 AM
I know that DVD-18 and DVD/HD DVD combos had problems (not for me BTW), but has there been problems with Blu-ray/DVD combos?

Doctorossi
01-27-12, 07:55 AM
has there been problems with Blu-ray/DVD combos?

Nobody wants your "evidence" around here, buck-o; we just need our trusty torches and pitchforks.

applesandrice
01-27-12, 10:22 AM
No doubt this is partly to discourage rental stores from purchasing retail discs for rental, as well as to prevent folks like me from buying their combo packs and selling off the unwanted extra discs. Just another passive/aggressive shot at free trade.

NoirFan
01-27-12, 10:28 AM
Nobody wants your "evidence" around here, buck-o; we just need our trusty torches and pitchforks.

As a side note, when did pitchforks start being associated with angry villagers in horror films? I watched both Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein again recently, and although there were plenty of torches, I didn't notice a single pitchfork in either film. I was looking for them too.

davidh777
01-27-12, 10:39 AM
As a side note, when did pitchforks start being associated with angry villagers in horror films? I watched both Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein again recently, and although there were plenty of torches, I didn't notice a single pitchfork in either film. I was looking for them too.

Hey! No one needs your "evidence" either. :mad:

http://www.alexross.com/moviemob.jpg

islandclaws
01-27-12, 11:06 AM
:suicide:

Put an extra in the chamber for me. Oy vey.

bunkaroo
01-27-12, 02:18 PM
I know that DVD-18 and DVD/HD DVD combos had problems (not for me BTW), but has there been problems with Blu-ray/DVD combos?

Don't know; don't care. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Shannon Nutt
01-27-12, 02:26 PM
Oooh...this means when THE DARK KNIGHT RISES finally comes to Blu, you'll all be freakin' out. :)

bunkaroo
01-27-12, 02:52 PM
I won't be freaking out. I'll just be watching my import. Funny how the European market is smart enough to avoid these types of discs. Only the idiot execs in the US keep trying to float this shit.

Spottedfeather
01-27-12, 03:03 PM
No matter if a flipper disc works perfectly, I still hate them beyond all imagination. You worry a lot more about fingerprints and scratches. I don't like to think every single time I put in a movie or tv show if it will work or not. I will be avoiding this like the plague.

bunkaroo
01-27-12, 03:17 PM
Not to mention they may work fine now, but who knows if the bonding will holdup over time.

What I know is I many 5 year old BD-50's that work just fine. No need to fuck all that up now.

Doctorossi
01-27-12, 03:19 PM
Not to mention they may work fine now, but who knows if the bonding will holdup over time.

:rolleyes:

You could say that about any bonded-layers disc.

applesandrice
01-27-12, 03:33 PM
Oooh...this means when THE DARK KNIGHT RISES finally comes to Blu, you'll all be freakin' out. :)

Not necessarily. For one thing, that movie doesn't even hit theaters for another, what? five and a half months? Add another 3-4 for the Blu-ray release and WB might have some brand new hair-brained scheme going on. For another thing -- however unlikely this might be -- maybe it'll be terrible. Like, "Spider-Man 3" levels of suckitude. I never bought that crap-fest on DVD or BD, and never will. Ultimately, if the movie does merit a purchase, and if they're still pooping out these flipper discs by the time it comes out, maybe I'll just wait a little longer and buy it used. Or wait for another "Best Buy DVD Exchange" event or something.

Alan Smithee
01-27-12, 05:36 PM
Just hope they have printing on BOTH SIDES this time- none of that "Standard DVD on other side" and inserting a label-less disc to play the standard-def. Also they better not be charging extra for these- that was the main reason HD-DVD combo discs sucked. I hate unnecessary multi-disc sets, but I really don't see the need for having a standard-def copy anyways.

Iron_Giant
01-27-12, 07:09 PM
No matter if a flipper disc works perfectly, I still hate them beyond all imagination. You worry a lot more about fingerprints and scratches. I don't like to think every single time I put in a movie or tv show if it will work or not. I will be avoiding this like the plague.

In the old days of Wide screen/Full Screen flippers, I hated that I had to figure out which was which before I put it into the player.

Then, my family would get made at me for stopping the disk to put in the wide screen version.

Same thing will be happening no matter how the try to label the disks, "Blue" inner circle for BR.

I am already ticked and they have not sold any yet.

Here is hoping that I do not need to buy any WB BR until "TDK Rises".

Matthew Chmiel
01-27-12, 07:33 PM
There has never been a need for a digital copy disc. Universal handles digital copies amazingly based upon their recent releases. Go directly to the Universal website, type in your activation code and pick which format (i.e. iTunes, Vudu, Zune, etc) in which you want the digital copy in. Bing. Bang. Boom. You're done. While the digital copy is still standard definition only, at least Universal now gives customers the iTunes Extras version of the digital copy.

Ultraviolet is a mess. Customers don't know how to use it nor do they want to know how to use it. It doesn't help matters much that the Flixster application on iOS is a piece of shit and the picture quality sucks. Hell, the Flixster application on a computer is a piece of shit as it's ran through Adobe Air. Really Warner? This is the best you have at your disposal?

I hate flippers. Either give me the DVD on a separate disc or don't give it to me at all.

The A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas Blu-ray is just a debacle. Not only does it utilize a BD/DVD flipper, but the extended cut has a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Jesus Warner, is it 2006-2008 all over again?

Solid Snake
01-27-12, 09:04 PM
NOooooooooO!

Gizmo
01-27-12, 09:20 PM
DD5.1 for Extended? Sweeeeet!

/sarcasm

Mike86
01-27-12, 09:22 PM
Fuck this. Add me to the list of importing my Warner Bros. discs from the UK from now on if this is going to be the case..

bunkaroo
01-28-12, 02:03 AM
:rolleyes:

You could say that about any bonded-layers disc.

No, you can't. The failure rate of these types of discs has always been higher. DVD-5 and DVD-9 have proven reliable over the years. BD-25 and BD-50 have so far also been reliable over a 5-6 year span.

HD DVD combos and DVD-18 have well documented failures that occurred both immediately and later on, and they were only produced for a few years.

But feel free to buy these discs - the studios love using consumers for beta testing. I won't be one of them.

Pizza
01-28-12, 04:52 AM
Blows. When do they start selling bluray MODs?

Gizmo
01-28-12, 09:22 AM
No, you can't. The failure rate of these types of discs has always been higher. DVD-5 and DVD-9 have proven reliable over the years. BD-25 and BD-50 have so far also been reliable over a 5-6 year span.

HD DVD combos and DVD-18 have well documented failures that occurred both immediately and later on, and they were only produced for a few years.

But feel free to buy these discs - the studios love using consumers for beta testing. I won't be one of them.

Aside from a bad batch of Children of Men (IIRC), there has not been a whole lot of HD DVD Combo issues. Like everything, there are some issues, but it tends to get overblown because of the former war.

I've yet to encounter a Combo title that I've had an issue with that a reboot wouldn't fix and I own, and still watch, around 200 HD DVDs (on multiple players).

I still hate these Combo/Flipper titles. The days of needing them are long gone.

bunkaroo
01-28-12, 09:49 AM
Aside from a bad batch of Children of Men (IIRC), there has not been a whole lot of HD DVD Combo issues. Like everything, there are some issues, but it tends to get overblown because of the former war.

I've yet to encounter a Combo title that I've had an issue with that a reboot wouldn't fix and I own, and still watch, around 200 HD DVDs (on multiple players).

I still hate these Combo/Flipper titles. The days of needing them are long gone.

My point is the number of people who did have problems and stated so here and at AVS was significant, and that was for a small sample size. If those discs sold hundreds of thousands of copies the problems would have been magnified.

And the scariest part is even though Uni's few problematic Combos (CoM, Good Shepherd, Smokin' Aces, etc) garnered a decent amount of attention, I recall WB had just as many if not more problems with their combos and on higher profile titles. Matrix box set comes immediately to mind. I had (and still have) three HD DVD players, and I personally experienced issues with all the aforementioned discs. Either I have extremely bad luck or those discs were pieces of shit. I'm going with the latter.

Artman
01-28-12, 10:47 AM
J Edgar still shows two discs... maybe flippers will only be for "special" titles. You'd think the kind of people watching Harold and Kumor would be more likely to break or find it harder to use flippers... or maybe it's just because less discs will be easier for them to keep track of. :)

TheMovieman
01-28-12, 12:56 PM
J Edgar still shows two discs...

What site are you talking about? If Amazon, they have Harold and Kumar as 2 discs as well...

Artman
01-28-12, 01:17 PM
What site are you talking about? If Amazon, they have Harold and Kumar as 2 discs as well...

If you look at the item description below it shows 1 disc for H&K. They could be wrong, but it's a glimmer of hope...

Gizmo
01-28-12, 02:00 PM
If you look at the item description below it shows 1 disc for H&K. They could be wrong, but it's a glimmer of hope...

Err he has the disc in hand. It's one disc and a flipper.

Artman
01-28-12, 02:20 PM
Err he has the disc in hand. It's one disc and a flipper.

I meant Amazon could be wrong about J Edgar being two discs. They correctly list H&K as one, (even though the product title still says two).

Gizmo
01-28-12, 03:17 PM
I meant Amazon could be wrong about J Edgar being two discs. They correctly list H&K as one, (even though the product title still says two).

Gotcha. It could change. This looks like a permanent switch by Warner (like UV).

PerryD
01-28-12, 03:53 PM

No, there was definitely a major problem with the HD-DVD combos. There was a poll here, I think, and it was very high occurance rate. For some reason, boiling the discs seemed to help the discs play all the way through. But there were many movies where I would have to finish the movie by watching the DVD side of the combo disc. I had the XA2 player which was supposed to be the most reliable. This was not a format war issue, I only had a HD-DVD player at the time, and I hated the combos.

PvtPlatypus
01-28-12, 05:38 PM
This really sucks, hopefully other companies don't follow suit.

Alan Smithee
01-28-12, 06:33 PM
I have almost every HD-DVD released in the US and have had far more problems with single-sided discs than the combos. The main problem was Cinram, who manufactured most of Warner's discs. I have both the combo and single-sided versions of "Happy Feet", the 1-sided disc freezes up during play but both sides of the combo disc play fine.

I haven't heard of any problems with the combo Blu-Rays that have been out so far, I have 2 of them but haven't gotten around to watching them. Again I hate multi-disc sets but have no need for a standard-def copy anyways.

islandclaws
01-28-12, 06:52 PM
I have no combo Blu-rays, but the few combo HD DVDs I had/have caused me enough issues that I won't buy anything that comes like this.

davidh777
01-29-12, 01:35 AM
There has never been a need for a digital copy disc. Universal handles digital copies amazingly based upon their recent releases. Go directly to the Universal website, type in your activation code and pick which format (i.e. iTunes, Vudu, Zune, etc) in which you want the digital copy in. Bing. Bang. Boom. You're done. While the digital copy is still standard definition only, at least Universal now gives customers the iTunes Extras version of the digital copy.

It never made sense to me that I needed to enter a code on iTunes to download a copy from a physical disc when iTunes has a copy right there. That said, downloading from a disc will take me a few minutes while iTunes or Warner's site has taken me up to 50 minutes. I once heard that Warner had concerns about customers without broadband connections not being able to get the iTunes version.

PhantomStranger
01-29-12, 01:42 AM
Awful news, driven solely by Warner's need to control the rental market and prevent stores like Family Video from buying the DVD/BD combo pack and splitting it up.

Matthew Chmiel
01-29-12, 01:52 AM
That said, downloading from a disc will take me a few minutes while iTunes or Warner's site has taken me up to 50 minutes. I once heard that Warner had concerns about customers without broadband connections not being able to get the iTunes version.
I have never had a single issue downloading from iTunes when the digital copy is online only. I had both The Big Lebowski and Scarface downloading the other week from iTunes and it barely took 10 minutes. Then again, I do have 25mbps download speeds. The problem I see with Warner's argument is how is Warmer concerned about customers without broadband connections not being able to get digital copies when Ultraviolet is practically streaming only?

Awful news, driven solely by Warner's need to control the rental market and prevent stores like Family Video from buying the DVD/BD combo pack and splitting it up.
Most brick and mortar video stores in Las Vegas have already gone under. Not a single mom and pop store remains. There's a handful of Blockbuster locations remaining and their time is running out. On every corner now exists either a Redbox or Blockbuster Express. Family Video shouldn't even be a concern much longer as renting will be a fully automated service (Redbox), mail-in service (Netflix) or on-demand service (Netflix, iTunes, CinemaNow, Vudu, Zune, etc) within the next few years. I would be geniuenly shocked if retail rental locations still exist by 2015.

TheMovieman
01-29-12, 02:05 AM
the extended cut has a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

To me that's a worse offender than it being a combo disc.

Superdaddy
01-29-12, 09:03 AM
To me that's a worse offender than it being a combo disc.

Agreed. Lossy audio on a Blu-ray disc in 2012 is a big step backward. I own very few movies on BD with lossy tracks, and have consciously not upgraded a number of DVDs (mostly Warner titles) released to BD early in the format's history partly due to the lack of lossless audio.

Even nature documentaries--a favorite of mine which routinely have lossy audio tracks on BD (yes, I do buy them anyway)--are moving away from this. Recent titles from BBC and National Geographic have contained lossless audio tracks.

I don't own any two-sided BDs but have not yet had a problem with a two-sided DVD (which doesn't necessarily mean I'm in any hurry to buy a BD combo disc)

davidh777
01-29-12, 10:28 AM
I have never had a single issue downloading from iTunes when the digital copy is online only. I had both The Big Lebowski and Scarface downloading the other week from iTunes and it barely took 10 minutes. Then again, I do have 25mbps download speeds. The problem I see with Warner's argument is how is Warmer concerned about customers without broadband connections not being able to get digital copies when Ultraviolet is practically streaming only?

Yeah, I have a standard Comcast connection and downloading TV episodes takes me a while as well. As far as their logic, that may have worked for one technology but I never heard it applied to UV. :)

RocShemp
01-29-12, 04:27 PM

I'll worry about that then. Right now I'm concerned about Sherlock Holmes. :(

PhantomStranger
01-29-12, 09:42 PM
I'll worry about that then. Right now I'm concerned about Sherlock Holmes. :(
As others have said, you will always be able to get the UK versions of WB Blu-rays if you want to avoid the flipper. Only in the U.S. do the executives pull this nonsense.

RocShemp
01-30-12, 06:08 PM
As others have said, you will always be able to get the UK versions of WB Blu-rays if you want to avoid the flipper. Only in the U.S. do the executives pull this nonsense.

Are the UK releases region free? And don't the UK menus play havock with the PS3 (my default BD player)?

Mr. Cinema
01-30-12, 06:36 PM
There's also a BD only version of Harold and Kumar 3 coming out. So I guess if you want to avoid flippers, you have that option.

Mr. Cinema
01-30-12, 07:37 PM
J. Edgar appears to be a 2-disc set. The WB Shop lists the packaging as a double disc case. They have Harold and Kumar 3 listed as 1 disc for the standard combo and 2 for the 3D one. So I tend to think J. Edgar's listing is correct.

TheMovieman
01-30-12, 07:56 PM
J. Edgar appears to be a 2-disc set. The WB Shop lists the packaging as a double disc case. They have Harold and Kumar 3 listed as 1 disc for the standard combo and 2 for the 3D one. So I tend to think J. Edgar's listing is correct.

Hopefully. I'll find out in a couple of weeks...

Gizmo
01-30-12, 09:54 PM

It's possible it was pressed before the change and held back for any awards etc.

kd5
01-31-12, 07:34 AM
Saw this thread title and even though I haven't gone to blu-ray yet, I think this is pretty shitty of WB. I hate flipper discs myself, I'm always worried about dust/dirt/scratches/scuffs and accidental fingerprints, end up treating these like they were fine china just so I don't mar the surface(s). Since I don't care about fullscreen, each flipper disc is replaced into the case WS surface down, just like it would be if it was a single-sided disc so the side I care about is protected.

Hated when they did/do that with DVDs, hope the cheap bastards get this sorted before/if I make the change to blu-ray. The 'rental concerns' seem like a smokescreen to me. I'd be more inclined to believe it's a money issue, as in money-grubbing assholes. -kd5-

Mr. Cinema
01-31-12, 09:22 AM
It's possible it was pressed before the change and held back for any awards etc.
That also is possible. I don't expect Harold and Kumar to be the only combo disc we get.

Right now, the WB Shop also lists Happy Feet Two's standard combo pack as using a double disc case.

slop101
01-31-12, 10:16 AM
If the discs work without any glitches, I really don't give a fuck if they're flippers or not.

Gizmo
02-04-12, 10:21 AM
Interesting enough, This is Amazons listing for Happy Feet 2:
http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Blu-ray-Combo-UltraViolet-Digital/dp/B004EPZ0AM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Happy Feet Two (Blu-ray/DVD Combo + UltraViolet Digital Copy) (2011)

and Puss in Boots
Puss in Boots (Two-disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) (2011)

We all know Puss is not Warner, but Amazon mentions it's a two disc. Happy Feet 2...not so much. Maybe it's just an error, or Amazon does not even know.

Bluelitespecial
02-07-12, 08:20 PM
Well I took a chance and bought the new Harold and Kumar. I watch both version of the movie already and there wasn't any glitches. I wish there was more extras, but I hope flippers don't become the norm with Warner bros.

TheMovieman
02-17-12, 03:01 PM
Got J. Edgar in yesterday and can confirm it's two discs.

Shannon Nutt
02-17-12, 04:48 PM
Are the UK releases region free? And don't the UK menus play havock with the PS3 (my default BD player)?

All the ones from Warners have been...so far.

Bluelitespecial
12-17-13, 04:59 PM
Is there any chance A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas will get rereleased as a non flipper. I went to watch it this week, and it wont play on both of my bluray players, only the dvd side works and I am kinda pissed.

Bluelitespecial
12-17-13, 05:04 PM
I know there is a movie only version out, but I am talking about if they would rerelease the version with the extended cut.

trespoochies
12-17-13, 05:18 PM
Wow, is Warner's actually doing this? I haven't seen any flippers from them.

Bluelitespecial
12-17-13, 05:21 PM
They only did it on a few titles, thats why I bumped the thread angry about my Harold and Kumar disc.

My Other Self
12-17-13, 05:27 PM
I have the 3D release (with the 2D BD) of AVHKC and don't recall it being a flipper. I could be off, as I haven't watched it since it first came out.

mattysemo247
12-17-13, 06:04 PM
According to post #6, the 3D version has the 2D flipper included as well.

Did you try to find more info on this set? It might since there is no mention of DVD copies included

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Harold-and-Kumar-Highly-Flammable-3-Movie-Set-Blu-ray/52010/#Review

Bluelitespecial
12-17-13, 06:33 PM

Did you try to find more info on this set? It might since there is no mention of DVD copies included

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Harold-and-Kumar-Highly-Flammable-3-Movie-Set-Blu-ray/52010/#Review

I just watched an unboxing video of the set on youtube, and it does indeed include a non flipper version. I may try and get it at some point or keep looking out for other discs out there since I already have 1 and 2 on bluray as well.

Arthur Dent
12-17-13, 08:48 PM
I just watched an unboxing video of the set on youtube, and it does indeed include a non flipper version. I may try and get it at some point or keep looking out for other discs out there since I already have 1 and 2 on bluray as well.
The set was originally offered with a flipper disc; it is no longer offered that way.

PhantomStranger
12-17-13, 08:54 PM
Thank goodness that WB wised up and didn't expand this odious practice to all BD releases. Even Universal, the inventor of this horrible format, have largely given up on flippers.

Bluelitespecial
12-17-13, 09:18 PM
I looked up the disc on amazon, and it mentions the UV on the flipper disc set expires in February, maybe it will be discontinued soon then they will start selling the non flipper disc by itself.

trespoochies
12-17-13, 09:30 PM

How interesting, after checking the receipt, it looks like I bought the 3D set a month after it came out. I just checked it and the Blu and DVD are on separate discs. I guess those flippers didn't last long at all.

Bluelitespecial
12-17-13, 10:53 PM
After looking around at several websites including WBshop I think all versions available now are the single sided non flipper disc of AVHKC as there is no mention of a dvd side. I will look and see if I can find in store anywhere or just try ordering it online, I wont buy any flipper disc again.

trespoochies
12-17-13, 10:56 PM
...I wont buy any flipper disc again.

The good news is, you may have no choice.

Supermallet
12-18-13, 12:45 AM
Come on guys, Flipper isn't as bad of a movie as you're all making it out to be.

Alan Smithee
12-18-13, 02:05 AM
I have the "Flipper" double-feature DVD, which is a flipper! Have four flipper DVD/Blu-Ray discs but still haven't had time to watch them yet, haven't had any problems with the combo HD-DVD discs though (and a TON of the single-sided HD-DVDs have gone bad!)

Either way, I don't see the point of including a standard-def copy- I stopped buying movies on regular DVD the day the HD formats came out (meaning that if a movie's available on either of those, I won't buy it on regular DVD even if it's a lot cheaper), with the trend of so many Blu-Ray discs including them though I've gotten more recent ones than ever!

My Other Self
12-18-13, 08:39 AM
Thank goodness that WB wised up and didn't expand this odious practice to all BD releases. Even Universal, the inventor of this horrible format, have largely given up on flippers.Universal seems to have given up on the practice entirely. Only a few titles are still issued that way. The first three Bourne movies were re-issued back in June as BD-only releases.

The only one I've seen recently that hasn't gotten a reissue yet is The Jackal.

riotinmyskull
12-18-13, 08:42 AM
is THE GHOST WRITER still a flipper?

PhantomStranger
12-18-13, 02:13 PM
is THE GHOST WRITER still a flipper?
Get the superior Canadian BD anyway for The Ghost Writer. That was always a non-flipper and had the longer international cut with less censorship.

Bluelitespecial
12-18-13, 06:08 PM
Well I just sent the WBshop a message on their facebook page asking if AVHAKC was available now as a non flipper disc, I hope I get a response back.

Bluelitespecial
12-18-13, 07:36 PM
I just got a message back from the WB Shop on facebook, saying that the nonflipper disc is availble with the link to it. Just ordered it from them for eleven bucks. Hope they are right or I will return it.

hilts
12-20-13, 05:25 PM
I don't even want the effing DVD. Keep the damn thing. I'm buying blu-ray for a reason.

Shit. I'm ranting on an old thread. Never mind.

Alan Smithee
12-20-13, 08:58 PM
No worries, go ahead and rant. As I've said a billion times, I'd rather get a laserdisc copy of a movie with a Blu-Ray than a regular DVD!