Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

SAVE THE DATE (2012) (dir. Michael Mohan) (Lizzy Caplan, Alison Brie, Martin Starr)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

SAVE THE DATE (2012) (dir. Michael Mohan) (Lizzy Caplan, Alison Brie, Martin Starr)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A comedy centered on two very different sisters.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1965065/

AICN review:

Spoiler:
While Save The Date is very much in the tone of Ghost World (with a pinch of Scott Pilgrim for good measure) the charming cast and emotional through-line keep it from just being your typical quirky rom-com clone.

I find I’m using the word “charming” a lot this fest. There are just a whole lot of cute movies this year. The First Date, Your Sister’s Sister, Safety Not Guaranteed, The Surrogate, Robot and Frank and Save The Date could all be described as charming. Either I’m a helluva scheduler or there’s a theme emerging this year.

Lizzy Caplan stars here as a super pretty, but emotionally crippled girl who freaks out when her rock star boyfriend proposes. And she’s an artist. That works in a book store. I told you it was a familiar set up. To be honest, it’s difficult to sympathize with Caplan at the beginning of the movie. I don’t find self-sabotage sympathetic, unfortunately, especially when that mindset hurts the other more likable people in the story.

But when Caplan starts a new relationship with the super nice-guy Mark Webber their budding romance shows the girl behind the defenses and then I was hooked in, by God. Suddenly she became more than an indie movie stereotype, even if she is following a well-used character arc. However Caplan’s particular brand of vulnerability changes the dynamic enough to make it fresh.

Brie plays Caplan’s sister who is stressing everyone out while planning her marriage to Martin Starr. This is the second great pairing in the film. Starr is so good at delivering dry humor and Brie is so good at being adorably obsessive. They’re dynamite together and oddly give a very honest look at the pressures of a pending marriage despite their story not given nearly as much time as the main love triangle.

Geoffrey Arend (who is a really good character and has been in many movies, but no matter how accomplished he becomes I can still only think of him as the ‘Candy Bars!’ guy from Super Troopers) plays the third wheel to the love triangle, the musician left heartbroken by Caplan. In another film he would have been the douche bag villain, but he’s probably the most sympathetic character in the whole movie. His only crime not recognizing his girlfriend is scared of commitment.

Then he has to watch this other dude take her heart and progress past the trust issues he wasn’t able to. It’s a very sad character and Arend really gives it his all.

The film works, the emotion is there and even though it took me a little bit I was hooked in. Now that could possibly have something to do with both Brie and Caplan looking eerily like two different girls in my life that I’m crushing pretty hard on… I wouldn’t rule that out, but my critical brain also recognizes that writer/director Michael Mohan took these characters, cast the perfect actors and spent just the right time developing them so we’re left with a movie that’s not just some other forgetting quirky indie comedy.
Old 01-26-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: SAVE THE DATE (2012) (dir. Michael Mohan) (Lizzy Caplan, Alison Brie, Martin Star

You had me at Alison Brie...
Old 01-26-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 291 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: SAVE THE DATE (2012) (dir. Michael Mohan) (Lizzy Caplan, Alison Brie, Martin Star

Apparently there's a quick shot of one of Allison's tits as she's exiting the shower, according to test screenings (if IMDb message boards are to be believed)
Old 01-26-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Apparently there's a quick shot of one of Allison's tits as she's exiting the shower, according to test screenings (if IMDb message boards are to be believed)
Old 01-26-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madcougar
You had me at Alison Brie...
Osiris3657 had me at Allison's tits.
Old 01-26-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is true... this just became a must buy on blu ray for me.
Old 01-26-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She's MINE Madcougar

Old 01-26-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

They probably meant Annie's Boobs, the monkey.
Old 01-26-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh i started the thread dudes...i've got dibs
Old 01-26-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Dibs on what? Rubbing one out?
Old 01-26-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me want.
Old 01-26-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Dibs on what? Rubbing one out?
Too late
Old 10-19-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object width="450" height="292"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/64408"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/64408" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="292" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>