Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Kojak: the Complete Movie Collection

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another good review from Paul Mavis. However, what happened the first three Kojak movies are presented in their proper screen ratios, but the other ones have been cropped?

Didn't people learn from the Route 66 DVD set debacle this isn't what classic TV purists what? Unless the Kojak movies in question were actually filmed wide and the pictures were cropped for pre-HDTV broadcast, they all need to be 1.33:1. The new "wide" versions may play well (as I've noticed with more than a few old programs visually trimmed for HD, like Hogan's Heroes), but the complete visual experience on those later movies has been compromised with no rational justification whatsoever. If Universal is solely to blame for this action, then let's hold no grudge against Shout, who had to work with whatever Universal gave them.

Let the buyer beware...again.
Old 02-12-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kojak: the Complete Movie Collection

Just saw this (because we don't get notified anymore about these posts).

I don't think these are cropped; the framing looks absolutely correct, so I'd say they were shot in the widescreen ratio (many of these Kojak movies were shown overseas as theatrical releases, so that would make sense).