DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Series' That You Hope Get Completed

Spottedfeather
01-21-12, 02:48 AM
We've all had series we loved began on dvd. They put out a season or two, but then stop. It is years, if at all, if any of the rest of it gets released. It's a shame, too. A lot of our favourite series get started but then peter our. We saw it with Perfect Strangers (one of my absolute favourite shows of all time), Ghostwriter, and plenty of others.

Another of my favourite shows is Family Matters. Luckily, we've had the first season, with the second season coming out in February. Hopefully, they'll finish the series as it got much better the longer it was on...well, except for the last season and a half or so.

What are some shows that you love that were started on dvd, but never finished or WERE finished but years later ?

Regulus
01-21-12, 04:46 AM
For Starters

Barnaby Jones

Cannon

Charlie's Angels

Early Edition

The Flying Nun

Highway to Heaven

Ironside

Marcus Welby, M.D.

The Mod Squad

Quincy M.E.

The Streets of San Francisco

Touched by an Angel

TNAJason
01-21-12, 05:20 AM
I'll start with the series' that started and had a long-delay-in-releases but WERE finally finished....
Boy Meets World(1st 3 seasons were released within a year,then a 5 year delay,before finally releasing Seasons 4-7 within a year)
Fresh Prince of Bel Air(1st 4 seasons released within 18 months,followed by a 4 year delay for Season 5,then a 1 year delay for Season 6)
Spin City(The shortest time-delay-1st 3 seasons in a year then a 15 month delay before releasing Seasons 4-6 within 10 months)

Then the ones that still aren't complete....
New Adventures of Old Christine(1st 2 seasons released in 5 months,followed by a 2 year delay to get On-Demand releases of Seasons 3 & 4 within 5 months,and now a 13 month delay for a release of Season 5)
Clarissa Explains It All(Season 1 released in 2005,and now 7 years later,and still nothing)
Mad About You (Seasons 1 & 2 were released within 6 months,then a 4 year delay for season 3,followed by 3 year delay before Season 4 & 5 were released within 5 months,and now 1 year 2 months later and STILL no Season 6 & 7)

rw2516
01-21-12, 05:28 AM
The Untouchables

EdTheRipper
01-21-12, 06:38 AM
I started watching 10 Items or Less for the tv challenge. I thought it had just ran for 2 seasons, as the only dvd release for it was a combo pack of the first two seasons. As it turns out, there was a 3rd season that aired back in 2009. No sign of that on dvd as of yet.

BobO'Link
01-21-12, 06:46 AM
All unfinished - There's little hope for some on this list, mainly due to music licensing, but several could be finished easily:

At Last the 1948 Show
Better off Ted
Beverly Hillibillies, The
Bob Newhart
Champions
Do Not Adjust Your Set
Drew Carey Show, The (Music licensing)
Greene Acres
Just Shoot Me
King of the Hill
Man about the House (British)
Murphy Brown (Music licensing)
My Hero (British)
Newhart
Petticoat Junction
The Lone Ranger
Weird Science
Whose Line is it Anyway? (British)
WKRP (Music licensing)

Indy24LA
01-21-12, 07:08 AM
Only one for me, Family Ties.

kd5
01-21-12, 09:10 AM
Poltergeist: The Legacy. Amazon has Season 2 but they won't let go of their $60 price tag, occasionally they knock it down a couple of bucks (their idea of a sale), but I'll never pay that much for it. Don't know what ever happened to the rest of the series. -kd5-

KaBluie
01-21-12, 09:45 AM
Dharma & Greg

Tardo317
01-21-12, 09:48 AM
Sgt. Bilko

Ginwen
01-21-12, 12:56 PM
Dream On. Not gonna happen but would love if it did.

banthafett
01-21-12, 01:13 PM
Adventures of Pete & Pete
Whos The Boss
Perfect Strangers

Theres more, but those 3 are tops.

Disc-Flipper
01-21-12, 01:40 PM
Five Mile Creek
The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew Mysteries
Animaniacs
Tiny Toons Adventures
Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
SCTV

Lt. Brannigan
01-21-12, 02:55 PM
Right now I am hoping they complete Superboy's live action TV series.

hasslein
01-21-12, 03:08 PM
Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Charlie's Angels, Bob Newhart Show, Sigmund Sea Monsters

Edit: One Day at a Time, Maude

Spottedfeather
01-21-12, 03:23 PM
I must be really weird, but I never watched WKRP for the music. They never played full songs anyways. They'd start a song, but turn it off so that we could hear the characters talk. That's what the show was all about. The characters and the funny situations they would get into.

rw2516
01-21-12, 04:07 PM
Isn't there a complete series box set of Bob Newhart Show?

BobO'Link
01-21-12, 04:34 PM
I must be really weird, but I never watched WKRP for the music. They never played full songs anyways. They'd start a song, but turn it off so that we could hear the characters talk. That's what the show was all about. The characters and the funny situations they would get into.
Then you're missing much of the humor of the show. It was the many music removals which changed the show dynamic and/or caused jokes to fall flat that are at issue. A prime example is in "Turkeys Away" - Mr. Carlson enters the sound booth while Pink Floyd's "Dogs" is being played.

Carlson: What's the name of that orchestra?
Fever: Pink Floyd
Carlson: Oh, so that's Pink Floyd. Do I hear dogs barking on that thing?
Fever: I do.
Carlson: (Reads album jacket) Here's a thing called "Pigs on the Wing", what's that sound like?
Fever: I don't do requests.

That sublime scene was cut because it was too expensive to license the song and substitute music would have caused the joke to fail. Did the excise cause the episode to be less funny? Arguably, yes but it's a funny episode anyway.

Later in that episode "It Came Out of the Sky" by Creedence Clearwater Revival was played by Fever right after the live shot with Les Nessman. It was cut. While it's nothing truly significant it added to the humor of the situation.

In "A Date With Jennifer", “Hot Blooded” by Foreigner was being played as Les was getting ready. It was replaced.

"Fly me to the Moon" on Jennifer's doorbell was replaced.

There are many more such examples. Much of the cut/substituted music was of the type where the song title and/or lyrics played directly into or enhanced a scene. While mostly subtle it's one of "the little things" that made the show so funny. Music which had no bearing on the episode wouldn't be much of an issue with most but what was removed, in many cases, was plot driven and could be major. Most major fans want unedited or nothing. While consider myself to be a "major fan" I'm in the minority as far as future releases with cuts as I'd like to see the rest of the series, even if it has to be edited, simply because it's funny. Don't get me wrong - I'd much prefer unedited shows but if it's edited or nothing, I'll take edited.

BobO'Link
01-21-12, 04:37 PM
Isn't there a complete series box set of Bob Newhart Show?
No. Fox has released only 4 of the 6 seasons. While Amazon has pre-order listings for S5 and S6 there is no streat date and there are no known plans for these releases. They appear to be there for someone (Fox? - Third party?) to gage if there is enough interest to actually proceed with those releases.

mrcellophane
01-21-12, 06:53 PM
I really wish that Disney would release the rest of Duck Tales and Chip N' Dale: Rescue Rangers.

Spottedfeather
01-21-12, 08:11 PM
I'd really like to see some american company put out Are You Afraid Of The Dark. It came out in canada, but it's like 100 dollars per season....and used, a lot of the time. I grew up with Newhart (the one with the inn) so I'd like to see the rest of that come out. And of course, the last season of Pete And Pete and the rest of Clarissa Explains It All (especially Clarissa.) And I'm sick and tired of random episodes of Power Rangers. I'd really love to see proper season sets. Mainly the first 10 years.

Ish Kabbible
01-21-12, 09:19 PM
Amazing stories
big valley
boomtown
happy days
hill street blues
love american style
make room for daddy
maude
mork and mindy
muppet show
my three sons
nypd blue
rhoda
route 66
smothers brothers
st. Elsewhere
tj hooker
welcome back kotter

Josh-da-man
01-21-12, 09:43 PM
New Outer Limits.

I think the whole was series was released in Canada, but it was the censored version of the show.

lisadoris
01-22-12, 06:18 AM
SeaQuest 2032
A Different World
Animaniacs & Tiny Toon Adventures

dillkid
01-22-12, 07:12 AM
King Of The Hill, I would do anything for FOX to bring out the rest of them. We still haven't got the final two seasons of The Fresh Prince here yet, I don't really feel like importing them from Holland for double the price just in case we do end up getting them.

Doc Moonlight
01-22-12, 10:01 AM
The muppet show

milo bloom
01-22-12, 10:37 AM
Another vote for Animaniacs.

bmasters1981
01-22-12, 10:45 AM
For Starters

Barnaby Jones

Cannon

Charlie's Angels

Early Edition

The Flying Nun

Highway to Heaven

Ironside

Marcus Welby, M.D.

The Mod Squad

Quincy M.E.

The Streets of San Francisco

Touched by an Angel

For me, it's Welby and Streets of San Francisco and Hart to Hart, among others.

Quack
01-22-12, 11:07 AM
Perfect Strangers

Mr. Belvedere

majorjoe23
01-22-12, 11:32 AM
Upright Citizens Brigade. There's only one more season!

BlueCC
01-22-12, 12:04 PM
Shows nobody else mentioned yet:

Hotel
Picket Fences
The Nanny
Alice (season 1 is on amazon instant)

and of course Perfect Strangers and the Nick & Disney shows

adrenaline78
01-22-12, 12:38 PM
Without a Trace

rmw650
01-22-12, 04:58 PM
Mork & Mindy, Rhoda, Jetsons, Vega$ and Popeye for starters.

That'sAllFolks
01-22-12, 09:04 PM
1) Paper Chase
2) Newhart
3) Bob Newhart Show
4) Beverly Hillbillies
5) Green Acres

and (don't laugh) Hazel.

Wezzo
01-23-12, 03:39 AM
King of the Hill, Malcolm in the Middle, Diff'rent Stroke and Mad About You are my most-wanted abandoned shows.

creekdipper
01-23-12, 05:09 AM
Amazing stories
big valley / boomtown / happy days / hill street blues / love american style / make room for daddy /
maude / mork and mindy / muppet show / my three sons / nypd blue / rhoda / route 66 / smothers brothers / st. Elsewhere / tj hooker / welcome back kotter

Great list, especially Hill Street, NYPD Blue, & St. Elsewhere. Seems like a lot of those 80's shows get forgotten or don't sell well enough to justify continuing the releases.

From another list, I'd add Five Mile Creek mainly because I've never gotten to see it, unlike most of the ones mentioned that are constantly in syndication.

Still a little iffy on things like WKRP, My Three Sons, and others with altered music. If it can be done with minimal negative impact, okay, but if generic or synthesized music is used, it can really ruin the mood.

Lastdaysofrain
01-23-12, 06:56 AM
Newhart- I'd happily shell out for a complete boxed set, but any additional seasons would make me happy
Growing Pains - I don't really even want them to finish the series, I'd just like seasons 3 and 4 as they were my favorite
Facts of Life - again, my favorite seasons of this show were the last three, so I'd like to see them on DVD eventually.

matome
01-23-12, 06:56 AM
King of The Hill
The Equalizer
Fantasy Island

Dr. Forrester
01-23-12, 10:03 AM
I know the eps are available on [adult swim]'s MOD service, but Morel Orel, especially if they included the bumps they did for all the series' episodes that ran during the final season and perhaps one long, glorious rant from Dino Stamatopoulos about the treatment of the show.

dvdjunkie32
01-23-12, 10:21 AM
Survivor - some great seasons like Micronesia that have never been released.

Amazing Race

Gunsmoke

Rawhide

Bonanza

hasslein
01-23-12, 11:35 AM
and (don't laugh) Hazel.

I thought Shout! was releasing Hazel

Lastdaysofrain
01-23-12, 12:37 PM
I also really would love to see the final seasons of Parker Lewis and the Adventures of Pete and Pete

KaBluie
01-23-12, 12:53 PM
Saturday Night Live: Seasons 6 - 37

Shannon Nutt
01-23-12, 02:29 PM
Happy Days
The Muppet Show
NYPD Blue

milo bloom
01-23-12, 02:55 PM
I know the eps are available on [adult swim]'s MOD service, but Morel Orel, especially if they included the bumps they did for all the series' episodes that ran during the final season and perhaps one long, glorious rant from Dino Stamatopoulos about the treatment of the show.

Yes, I've come to see Moral Orel in a more favorable light over the years.

And one final big release of the remaining Space Ghost: Coast to Coast episodes.

jamespoo
01-23-12, 03:08 PM
drew Carey show i have season one and they are never going to release the other on dvd :(

i wish they would

smurr05
01-23-12, 03:23 PM
The Mod Squad
The Beverly Hillbillies

Dr. Forrester
01-23-12, 05:03 PM
Yes, I've come to see Moral Orel in a more favorable light over the years.
Assuming this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edy0cF_hM2M) isn't Dino playing a twisted prank (which I definitely don't think is out of the realm of possibility), perhaps a chance for more Moral!

Ish Kabbible
01-23-12, 05:44 PM
Survivor - some great seasons like Micronesia that have never been released.

Amazing Race

Gunsmoke

Rawhide

Bonanza

It might be premature to consider Gunsmoke,Bonanza and Rawhide abandoned

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
01-23-12, 06:48 PM
Spenser for Hire. THey did the TV movies disc about 6 years ago but never did anything with the series. I needs to see Star Trek man playing Hawk again.

ThePhantomGoat
01-23-12, 06:59 PM
Doctor Who :lol: kidding. It will never happen without missing episodes.

I own a couple that I'd like to have completed:

The Muppet Show
King of the Hill
Perfect Strangers
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Clarissa Explains It All
The Adventures of Pete and Pete
Count Duckula (Though, i'll probably just import the UK complete series)

It's crap like this that makes me stop buying tv shows until the whole thing is out. Of course, even if they do release it all, and I buy each set along the way, there's ultimately a "complete collection" released in a slim pack or with exclusive features.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
01-23-12, 09:46 PM
Third page and I didn't see Get A Life anywhere. That's usually page 1 material.

MTRodaba2468
01-24-12, 08:57 PM
The Adventures Of Pete & Pete
American Dreams
Tiny Toons
Animaniacs

Rexxriot
01-24-12, 11:05 PM
boomtown

I still don't understand why Lionsgate didn't do a complete series release for this one. It was only another six episodes, so it didn't really make sense to just release season one.

LorenzoL
01-25-12, 09:00 AM
Family Ties
Murphy Brown (I gave up hope that the rest of the seasons will ever be released on DVD but at least I'm grateful that they released season one with all of the music intact)
Muppets Show
Animaniacs

Chrisedge
01-30-12, 08:12 PM
Another vote for Amazing Stories.

rbrown498
01-30-12, 08:39 PM
^And another. I'll also cast another vote for Green Acres, and a second vote each for Saturday Night Live and The Amazing Race.

I just found out about one of the holy grails this past weekend. Universal is FINALLY finishing up Night Gallery.

N8 Storm
01-30-12, 10:50 PM
Parker Lewis Can't Lose
Perfect Strangers
DuckTales
Adventures of the Gummi Bears

3 of the 4 could easily be finished with one more set which is the most frustrating part.

Sonny
01-30-12, 10:52 PM
Another vote for Get A Life...and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

Guru Askew
01-31-12, 02:21 AM
I asked Brian Ward if Shout Factory ever considered "Get a Life" via Twitter about a year ago and be basically said it was un-licenseable. It's obviously right up SF's alley and it's frustrating that it's unavailable to them. At least they know people want it and have considered it.

As for Pete & Pete Season 3, this bit of info has only recently been picked up anywhere:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0899531/board/nest/81383818?d=125319794#125319794

According to P&P co-creator Chris Viscardi there was a warehouse full of Season 3 DVDs that Paramount manufactured before they bothered to clear the music rights. Unfortunately I can't imagine Paramount hasn't destroyed them by now because I wanna track that warehouse down and burgle away.

Michael Corvin
01-31-12, 07:18 AM
The Muppet Show

DuckTales

Mad About You

NYPD: Blue

crazychris88
01-31-12, 02:19 PM
OH I sure would be happy if they release HUFF: season 2 and the rest of the Chris Rock show. Doubt we will ever get em though.

The Valeyard
01-31-12, 03:28 PM
Animaniacs

lisadoris
01-31-12, 08:24 PM
Just thought of another one: Life Goes On. The later seasons are so much better but we're stuck on season one.

The Monkees
01-31-12, 11:45 PM
My two top picks are Coach and Family Ties.

But also:

Tiny Toons
Animaniacs
Darkwing Duck
DuckTales
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers
Kim Possible (first 2 seasons were Disney Movie Club exclusives)

davidh777
02-01-12, 02:52 AM
Family, the '70s series

Plus others that have already been mentioned, like Family Ties, Mad About You, Survivor (looks likely on MOD), and Kim Possible.

Maxflier
02-01-12, 09:59 AM
Ned and Stacey
Survivor (I want actualy releases, not Amazon MOD stuff)

wz42
02-02-12, 09:22 AM
I asked Brian Ward if Shout Factory ever considered "Get a Life" via Twitter about a year ago and be basically said it was un-licenseable. It's obviously right up SF's alley and it's frustrating that it's unavailable to them. At least they know people want it and have considered it.

I wonder whay that is - I don't recall much (if any) music in it.

As for my list:

Bob Newhart Show
King of The Hill
Maude

I'm also passing on all the current sets of those shows I don't have until I know I can finish my collection.

Tho never released aside from public domain discs I'd also love:

The complete Burns and Allen Show

The complete Jack Benny Program

Trevor
02-03-12, 06:38 AM
I'll be the only one mentioning this series I'm sure, and I imagine there is a less than zero chance of this happening, but I'd love to see the series Doc finished. It was sappy, but something about it really worked for me, and now that I have a wife and kid, I'd love to watch it all with them.

b2net
02-03-12, 07:36 AM
^ agree... Btw Sue Thomas FBEye did come out...same writers or producers I think... But it is high priced...

thetao
02-03-12, 02:02 PM
I asked Brian Ward if Shout Factory ever considered "Get a Life" via Twitter about a year ago

[...]

As for Pete & Pete Season 3, this bit of info has only recently been picked up anywhere:

[...]

Both get my vote! And Newhart and (ahem) Hazel. And also Inspector Gadget. I have the low budget IG region 4 set, but know somebody can top what's been released so far, particularly in terms of extras.

I'd forgotten about "Get A Life"! But if Rhino/WEA managed to put out two disks 10 years ago (when neither owned the rights?), I would think "un-licensable" is a bit extreme. Here's hoping they eventually work it out.

JPeeples
02-03-12, 05:39 PM
Adventures of Pete and Pete - hopefully with all the reunions they're doing, this will actually wind up getting released.

Chaza
02-03-12, 06:54 PM
Pete and Pete
Upright Citizens Brigade
The Tick
Hill Street Blues
Get a Life

Grainy
02-04-12, 07:06 AM
Baretta seasons 2 and 3. It's been 10 years since season one was released.

Sonny
02-04-12, 04:18 PM
I forgot about Baretta. Got season 1 then gave up on any more. That needs to come out.

RickWJ324
02-05-12, 03:52 PM
WB and Disney really need to get their **** together and finish what they started!! I want to finish my seasons of:

Tiny Toons
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Freakazoid
Gargoyles
Duck Tales
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
Darkwing Duck
Tailspin
Gummi Bears (Never bought any of these, but I would if they'd actually finish releasing them. I feel burned by Disney on so many others that I'm no longer willing to risk buying their shows!)
I'm holding out on buying any of the Muppet Show seasons without knowing if they plan to continue them.

I'd also like to see the live action Superboy show finished.

Cubicle Morlock
02-11-12, 09:15 PM
Baretta seasons 2 and 3. It's been 10 years since season one was released.

Given the legal troubles that hit Robert Blake about that time, and the rather messy conclusion to them, it isn't surprising the series went into limbo. Releasing this series is a PR quagmire the marketing folks are unlikely to let the studio touch with a 10 foot cockatoo feather.

As for MIA series, one a bit more recent. The Sci-Fi channel's Invisible Man, season 2. Bad enough this rare bit of quality on a channel known for banality was cut short in favor of funding more spins of the tired Stargate franchise wheel. But to have the second and final season - with its rather hasty series wrap up - left in the cold is salt in the wound. Given season 1 hit close out prices at various venues, odds don't look good for a reprieve.

Breaksome Eggs
03-18-12, 05:03 AM
Hill Street Blues - please, somebody release a complete set!

also:
One Day at a Time
Life Goes On
Night Court
WKRP in Cincinnati (and for them to obtain some agreement over music licensing)
Picket Fences
The Flying Nun
Rhoda
The Muppet Show
Animaniacs

Saturday Night Live after S5 - I'm thinking they should release a box set of the early 80s, since they probably think it's not $$$ feasible to release seasons 6-9 on their own. Once they get over that hump, they could do seasons 10-11 with all the movie stars in the cast together, and then resume single season sets with the Carvey-Hartman-Lovitz-Spade era.

Kory
03-18-12, 12:42 PM
I was just thinking how much I'd like to see Malcolm in the Middle get a complete series release. I only watched it sparingly when it was on, and with my new-found love for Bryan Cranston, I'd like to go back and watch him in a setting completely different from "Breaking Bad."

Regulus
03-18-12, 02:50 PM
One Word:

LASSIE

LESS than FIVE PERCENT of this series is available on DVD. This series is IMHO TIMELESS. All 19 Seasons need to be released. I was introduced to this series at the ripe old age of Seven, and the series was well into its "Ranger Years". I soon discovered there were two other "Versions" of this show that my Local Station ran on Saturday and Sunday Afternoon, mainly Jeff's Collie and Timmy & Lassie. It wasn't until the advent of the Internet did I discover that this was in fact one enormous series. Whenever the show was placed in syndication, the buffoons in charge of this decided to "Split" the series in three, and LEFT OUT Seasons 4, 9, 10 and 11 (Seasons 4 and 11 had the episodes where the dawg changed owners). Seasons 9 and 10 had "Experimental" Episodes where Lassie got separated from Timmy for a while, during which she spent time with various Charactures, among them Truck Drivers, Barnstormers, Military Personel and yes, Forest Rangers. I read the producers did these episodes to see who would be the dawg's new owner, they anticipated the Actor who played Timmy (John Provost) would arrive at a point where he no longer wanted to be a Child. and would want to move on to other things. The Episodes that got the most favorable response was her interlude with the Rangers, that sealed Lassies fate in Season 11. This is wholesome quality entertainment the entire Family would enjoy (Which is probably why they won't release it). :(

rmw650
03-18-12, 03:21 PM
I'll say it again...Green Acres for sure, Rhoda, Mad About You, Mork and Mindy, Charlie's Angels, Mr. Belvidere and a lsew of others that have a season or two left on the docket, such as The Bob Newhart Show and obviously, The Muppet Show.

comanche_doyle
03-18-12, 09:16 PM
Weird Science
Family Ties
Dharma and Greg
Mister Ed
Law and Order: Criminal Intent (Season 7 in June)

Spottedfeather
03-18-12, 09:22 PM
I'd love the rest of WKRP, too. But I couldn't care less if they keep replacing the music. It wasn't the main part of the show. It was about the characters and the situations they get into. Also, I'd love to see the rest of Family Matters, Family Ties, Growing Pains, and Facts of Life.