Old 01-19-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,635 Likes on 2,608 Posts
Person of Interest -- "Legacy" -- 1/19/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-10-20

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"Legacy" - When Carter finally comes face-to-face with Reese, he urges her to join forces to help with their latest POI, a scrappy young woman from the wrong side of the tracks who turned her life around and became a lawyer, on PERSON OF INTEREST, Thursday, Jan. 19 (9:00 - 10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Episode 12 of 22

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wQjn91e1iAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-19-12, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "Legacy" -- 1/19/12

Really liking this series despite finding everything else from J.J. "Felicity" Abrams very annoying.

I'm betting it has to be because of Jonathan Nolan.
Old 01-20-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Weird seeing Carter on the other side now. Not the greatest episode, but I loved Lionel calling Reese telling him that Carter was up to something, when she was also talking to him.
Old 01-20-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
Really liking this series despite finding everything else from J.J. "Felicity" Abrams very annoying.

I'm betting it has to be because of Jonathan Nolan.

Everything else? You should take a look at his imdb page there is a lot of really good things with his name attached.
Old 01-20-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,635 Likes on 2,608 Posts

Love this show, but this episode was a snoozer.

I didn't think the POI this week was very interesting. It was cool to see Carter finally work with Reese and Finch though. And I have to wonder if Reese is going to keep Fusco out of the loop of Carter's involvement with them.

On the bright side, it was cool to see Reese kick a little ass.

at the thug being chased by Reese getting hit by a truck in an open street. Can we start saying that's a tired plot device now? Southland used that a few days earlier.
Old 01-20-12, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
Everything else? You should take a look at his imdb page there is a lot of really good things with his name attached.
- Felicity...snoozer.

- Lost...screwed the fans with a bunch fantastical stuff that never had any pay off.

- Fringe...X-Files rip-off

- Star Trek - botched it up by making it mass market teenager explosion movie of the week.

If I have to pay for it I'll avoid anything with JJ's name attached to it. If it's free I'll give it a brief shot and, as with Fringe, it'll be casual viewing and nothing more. Person of Interest has been the only exception and I'm betting it's because of Nolan.
Old 01-20-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I have to pay for it I'll avoid anything with JJ's name attached to it. If it's free I'll give it a brief shot and, as with Fringe, it'll be casual viewing and nothing more. Person of Interest has been the only exception and I'm betting it's because of Nolan.
Abrams has said before (such as with Alcatraz) that he has his name attached to shows, but only to set them up and get them on the air.

He does not play much of an active role in the episodes or anything like that, at least now that he's a director and doesn't have the time to devote to the day-to-day stuff. Beyond pilots, and sometimes not even those, he doesn't actually write for these shows.
Old 01-20-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I thought this episode was all right, mostly because I found the actress pretty hot..haha

I have a thing for Mexican/Latina women. In this case, April Hernandez is Puerto Rican.

Would have been cool to see Reese fight the thug in the MMA gym, rather than chase him in the streets. Maybe could have fought 2 or 3 additional guys at the same time
Old 01-21-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I thought this episode was all right, mostly because I found the actress pretty hot..haha

I have a thing for Mexican/Latina women. In this case, April Hernandez is Puerto Rican.

Would have been cool to see Reese fight the thug in the MMA gym, rather than chase him in the streets. Maybe could have fought 2 or 3 additional guys at the same time
She was hot. I thought it was a good episode myself. Find it interesting that cop lady is helping them now. Her just chasing him forever would have gotten old. I wonder how else it will evolve, surely she won't spend several seasons just helping them like this.

Last edited by Shady12; 01-21-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-21-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

- Fringe...X-Files rip-off
In the beginning maybe but since the end of season 1, not even a little
Old 01-21-12, 02:47 PM

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Abrams has said before (such as with Alcatraz) that he has his name attached to shows, but only to set them up and get them on the air.
That's the model David E. Kelly seemed to adopt...in the long run it didn't seem to work out well for him and I like David E. Kelly stuff much more than Abrams work.

He does not play much of an active role in the episodes or anything like that, at least now that he's a director and doesn't have the time to devote to the day-to-day stuff. Beyond pilots, and sometimes not even those, he doesn't actually write for these shows.
A director? Like that 70's home movie film nobody was interested in or Star Trek (which he butchered from the Star Trek fan perspective)?

If anything I see JJ as the example of the mundane rising to the top since Hollywood has lost interest in finding and cultivating the cream.
Old 01-21-12, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde
In the beginning maybe but since the end of season 1, not even a little
I've only started watching since this last season but that episode with Jimmy James from Newsradio seemed like it was totally from the X-Files reject pile.

As for the rest...sure X-Files didn't have alternative universes etc but it still seemed to have the X-Files redux vibe all over it.
Old 01-21-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- Lost...screwed the fans with a bunch fantastical stuff that never had any pay off.
Lost fan here. Speak for yourself because I certainly didn't feel screwed. JJ Abrams created the best show I have ever seen, and probably ever will see.
Old 01-21-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I didn't feel screwed by LOST either. I just went with it - I was never one of those fans that tried to create theories, or read endless forums/blogs/fansites about LOST.
Old 01-21-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Star Trek (which he butchered from the Star Trek fan perspective)?
That's far from a universal opinion.
Old 01-21-12, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by firteen88
Lost fan here. Speak for yourself because I certainly didn't feel screwed. JJ Abrams created the best show I have ever seen, and probably ever will see.
I never claimed to speak for anyone but myself.

Btw did they ever wrap up Dharma Initiative and what it was in relation to the island?
Old 01-21-12, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
No but it is an opinion from many fans including myself.

Here's a review who can say it better than I ever could:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1ZLET0...wasThisHelpful

My favourite part:

The characters from the original series are brought together in a way which feels quite far from organic, presumably because Hollywood executives were worried that a slower tale that realistically developed their relationships would fail to satisfy audiences unused to thinking and realism. Instead of being members of a logically coherent military organization, each with careers and internal lives of their own, all of our principal characters are roughly the same age and have the same amount of experience, despite the fact that by the end of the film, they all have different ranks and specialties. Especially galling at the end is the instantaneous promotion of Kirk from 25-year-old Starfleet cadet (not even a graduate, as he is in his third year of studies) directly to Captain of the fleet's newest and most advanced flagship. It would be akin to a fresh West Point graduate being given command of the invasion of Afghanistan, or an Annapolis cadet being given command of an aircraft carrier. Why would anyone who had invested a lifetime in this organization respect any order that escapes his lips? Equally puzzling are the promotions of all the other crew members at the end as well - why is Kirk a Captain, but McCoy a Commander, Uhura a Lieutenant, Chekov an Ensign? They all have the same amount of experience and "seasoning" (i.e. none).
Besides I don't see why people care. I just stated, rather casually at that, that it was odd that I like this series so much "Person of Interest" when I don't like other JJ work.

Then when someone tried to persuade me to like it I gave examples why *I* don't like it.

That's all - I never said anybody else had to not like his other work. That's fine - go wild enjoying it...I simply don't.
Old 01-21-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Btw did they ever wrap up Dharma Initiative and what it was in relation to the island?
You said LOST screwed the fans. If you're only speaking for yourself, you can't say LOST screwed the fans. You can say that you weren't happy with it.

They go into great detail regarding the Dharma initiative, explaining why they were there and what they were doing. Even go into detail regarding the end of the Dharma initiative. If you paid attention to the show you would have seen it. Check out Lostpedia.com if you want to know everything about it.
Old 01-21-12, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by firteen88
You said LOST screwed the fans. If you're only speaking for yourself, you can't say LOST screwed the fans. You can say that you weren't happy with it.

They go into great detail regarding the Dharma initiative, explaining why they were there and what they were doing. Even go into detail regarding the end of the Dharma initiative. If you paid attention to the show you would have seen it. Check out Lostpedia.com if you want to know everything about it.
OK. If you like it and were happy with it that's totally fair. I was just stating a comment about how I like this show and my surprise at that since I don't like other JJ works.

I recall other Lost fans during the finale craze they weren't happy with how all these odd things were thown out and never really fit into the plot and resolved but others, clearly, enjoyed the ride. Both sides are fair and I never said otherwise.

My comments were only intended as to why I wasn't interested in taking the suggestion by whotony in post four to check out other JJ works since everything I've seen so far with his name attached, aside from Person of Interest (which is the topic of this thread), has left me hanging.

That's why I'm in the Person of Interest thread and not posting in the Fringe one.
Old 01-21-12, 04:41 PM
Banned

I hear Astro's gonna be in an episode soon.
Old 01-21-12, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Actually quite the opposite since it's by far the most critically and commercially successful Trek film.
Old 01-21-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Understood. At least we can both agree that Person of interest is a good show