Old 01-17-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Parenthood -- "It is What it is" -- 1/17/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Zeek (Craig T. Nelson) receives startling news from his doctor while Crosby (Dax Shepard) moves toward a new relationship. Amber (Mae Whitman) excels at her job, but becomes confused over her boss' actions; Adam (Peter Krause) and Kristina (Monica Potter) worry over the costs to send Haddie (Sarah Ramos) to the college of her choice, and Julia (Erika Christensen) grows concerned Zoe (guest star Rosa Salazar) is beginning to change her mind about giving up her baby for adoption. Also starring Lauren Graham, Miles Heizer, Bonnie Bedelia, Sam Jaeger, Max Burkholder, Savannah Paige Rae and Tyree Brown.

Episode 14 of 18

Promo:

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1378178" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 01-18-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
Re: Parenthood -- "It is What it is" -- 1/17/12

I hope that this show doesn't take the obvious story lines. Like something between Amber and her boss, like Jasmine suddenly wanting Crosby and him rejecting her, etc.

And how the hell do Adam and Kristina not talk to their daughter about college financing before she gets an acceptance early decision? They made it seem like this was the first time the thought of paying for her college education had come up.
Old 01-18-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I hope that this show doesn't take the obvious story lines. Like something between Amber and her boss, like Jasmine suddenly wanting Crosby and him rejecting her, etc.

And how the hell do Adam and Kristina not talk to their daughter about college financing before she gets an acceptance early decision? They made it seem like this was the first time the thought of paying for her college education had come up.
I really dislike the Jasmine character.

I think TV writers don't know how to write high school situations when it comes to college financing scenarios.
Old 01-18-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam and Kristina's lives have been very busy and they've been in reaction mode much of the time. They have essentially taken an approach of not dealing with difficult decisions until they have to. We even saw an example of it in this episode. Rather than saying right out, "We can't afford Cornell," they took the approach of saying, "Financing may be difficult so let's keep our options open." After all, if she didn't get into any expensive universities, they wouldn't have to deal with it.

The only potential cop-out to me was in them laying all the evidence that they simply can't afford Cornell only to come back in the end and say, "We'll figure it out." But I won't shortchange them on that until I see how it plays out. Would that actress really leave the show next season?
Old 01-18-12, 10:47 AM

There's nothing wrong with Community College. Suck it up kid!
Old 01-18-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-18-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
Adam and Kristina's lives have been very busy and they've been in reaction mode much of the time. They have essentially taken an approach of not dealing with difficult decisions until they have to. We even saw an example of it in this episode. Rather than saying right out, "We can't afford Cornell," they took the approach of saying, "Financing may be difficult so let's keep our options open." After all, if she didn't get into any expensive universities, they wouldn't have to deal with it.

The only potential cop-out to me was in them laying all the evidence that they simply can't afford Cornell only to come back in the end and say, "We'll figure it out." But I won't shortchange them on that until I see how it plays out. Would that actress really leave the show next season?
I see where you're coming from, but she was applying early decision to Cornell, as a straight A student, and they made it seem as if they never once raised the issue of financing, even between themselves.

I realize it makes for neater storytelling to wait until she gets the acceptance letter -- the dramatic moment -- to raise this storyline, but it's simply not realistic. I really like this show, I like the way the people often seem real with flaws and strengths and mistakes etc., but it sometimes walks the line of cliche, of taking the easy way out or creating the obvious story line. And this week's show seemed to be doing just that.
Old 01-19-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by siddd5
There's nothing wrong with Community College. Suck it up kid!
Berkeley is hardly "community college". It is currently ranked 21st nation-wide and tuition is ~$10,000. Cornell is ranked 15th and tuition is ~$40,000. It seems to me that Berkeley is, by far, the better choice.

And it's obvious she's not going to Cornell, isn't it? She would have to leave the show if she did. That scene was just an excuse for the writers to have a poignant father/daughter moment -- look, daddy really loves his daughter and would do anything for her.
Old 01-19-12, 11:24 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Touching moment between Adam and Haddie when he said she can go to Cornell.
Old 01-19-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would that actress really leave the show next season?
One can only hope.
Old 01-19-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As usual with this show, annoyed with Jasmine.

She gets herself a boyfriend, tells Crosby essentially to get over it, its what she wants, then the minute he actually finds someone he can get serious with, she's acting jealous and doesn't like it?

Just remember Jasmine, you caused the break up in the first place, not Crosby. Your stupidity drove him to make the dumb decision to sleep with the tutor.
Old 01-19-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Liked the episode, but I was also annoyed as mentioned.

Jasmine showing some jealousy for Crosby's new friend was annoying.

Also, I thought it was selfish for Haddie to be so angry at her parents about Cornell. Hasn't she seen what happened to him and their family's financial situation over the last year. I felt bad that Adam was pressured to make her happy and reluctantly gave in.
Old 01-19-12, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
As usual with this show, annoyed with Jasmine. She gets herself a boyfriend, tells Crosby essentially to get over it, its what she wants, then the minute he actually finds someone he can get serious with, she's acting jealous and doesn't like it?
I don't find anything incredible about that, though I see why it's annoying. To me, it's just another in a long line of Parenthood depictions of what actually happens in real life. Jasmine has not done anything to undermine Crosby's relationship. We've simply seen part of how she feels.

Just remember Jasmine, you caused the break up in the first place, not Crosby. Your stupidity drove him to make the dumb decision to sleep with the tutor.
Drove him? No. Crosby is responsible for his own actions. He knows it was the wrong thing to do. He not only cheated Jasmine and Jabbar, but himself. He gets that. The man thing to do would have been to either make a go of the relationship or end it and move on -- preferably not with Max's aid. There's not a single thing that made his life situation any better by sleeping with her. All he got was momentary gratification.
Old 01-20-12, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't find anything incredible about that, though I see why it's annoying. To me, it's just another in a long line of Parenthood depictions of what actually happens in real life. Jasmine has not done anything to undermine Crosby's relationship. We've simply seen part of how she feels.

Drove him? No. Crosby is responsible for his own actions. He knows it was the wrong thing to do. He not only cheated Jasmine and Jabbar, but himself. He gets that. The man thing to do would have been to either make a go of the relationship or end it and move on -- preferably not with Max's aid. There's not a single thing that made his life situation any better by sleeping with her. All he got was momentary gratification.
You're right about that, but at no time did anyone think Jasmine may have had some accountability of her own in the situation. And they apparently still don't.

But watching her at that time essentially say to Crosby "What my mother says about raising Jabbar is more important then what you say as the actual father" which I would have agreed with if Crosby had ever known about Jabbar but Jasmine being too chicken to tell him due to her own fears about her family and therefore making him out to be a father who knew but didn't care still has me mad at her and mad that no one ever calls her out on this attitude.
Old 01-20-12, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope that this show doesn't take the obvious story lines. Like something between Amber and her boss...
If not that, I think she's going to lose the donation folder that Christina tasked her with taking care of.
Old 01-20-12, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

You're right about that, but at no time did anyone think Jasmine may have had some accountability of her own in the situation. And they apparently still don't.
Short of cheating herself she's not responsible for Crosby not being able to keep his dick in his pants. That is 100% his fault. There are other ways to deal with it if you're unhappy in a relationship.
Old 01-20-12, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But watching her at that time essentially say to Crosby "What my mother says about raising Jabbar is more important then what you say as the actual father" which I would have agreed with if Crosby had ever known about Jabbar but Jasmine being too chicken to tell him due to her own fears about her family and therefore making him out to be a father who knew but didn't care still has me mad at her and mad that no one ever calls her out on this attitude.
On this, you can count me as a supporter. She was wrong. I don't think it justifies Crosby's actions, or "drove him" to them, but as long as we're just shooting the breeze about Jasmine, she was wrong.
Old 01-20-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kurupt
If not that, I think she's going to lose the donation folder that Christina tasked her with taking care of.
Yeah, that was another obvious story line I hope that they don't take. I'd prefer if that story line included her getting promoted and some of the other staffers being jealous, that is real life.
Old 01-20-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On this, you can count me as a supporter. She was wrong. I don't think it justifies Crosby's actions, or "drove him" to them, but as long as we're just shooting the breeze about Jasmine, she was wrong.
Oh I don't think it justifies his actions or anything like that all. He was wrong, and the breakup was deserved.

I'm just saying the entire thing was not all on him. And the show keeps wanting to make it seem like its all on him.