DVD Talk
Attention IB: new feature request for the forum software / hiding threads... [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Attention IB: new feature request for the forum software / hiding threads...

Kittydreamer
01-16-12, 07:34 PM
hey there,

There have been some rather disturbing threads going on in Otter lately. I know, I don't have to go there and I know, I don't have to open them either. However, the titles are there and are heartbreaking at times. Any chance we can get a feature to be able to hide threads?

Thank you,
Kitty :)

Rockmjd23
01-16-12, 07:41 PM
Yeah I'm torn up about kvrdave's balls too, but I cope.

Kittydreamer
01-16-12, 07:43 PM
:lol:

I suppose we could also just be kind and so thread titles like this:

"Horrible thread about something really awful..."

Graftenberg
01-18-12, 06:40 AM
Or you could just put Buttmunker on ignore.

printerati
01-18-12, 08:25 PM
Agreed. Threads about divorce and threesomes and cheap Gewurztraminer disturb me to no end.

Kittydreamer
01-18-12, 10:40 PM
you guys are not helpful :lol:

TomOpus
01-19-12, 12:55 PM
I see and understand what you mean but I also don't see how you could effectively hide a thread based on it's title to keep all the downbeat threads hidden. I could see a software feature acting on certain words but the same "bad" word can be used for something uplifting as well as for something downbeat.

Say you hide all threads with the word "killing" in them. You could miss a thread titled "Made a killing at the stock market. Everyone who posts in this thread gets $1000." I know it's a little extreme but hope you see what I'm getting at.

Kittydreamer
01-19-12, 12:56 PM
I get it. I was just thinking it would be nice if we could click on a button next to a thread and mark it as hidden, kinda like on Facebook where you can hide a story or post that you don't want to see. :)

andicus
01-19-12, 04:55 PM
I get it. I was just thinking it would be nice if we could click on a button next to a thread and mark it as hidden, kinda like on Facebook where you can hide a story or post that you don't want to see. :)

I've often wished for just such a feature...

antspawn
01-19-12, 11:04 PM
Such a feature would be cool to have. :thumbsup:

TomOpus
01-19-12, 11:25 PM
I get it. I was just thinking it would be nice if we could click on a button next to a thread and mark it as hidden, kinda like on Facebook where you can hide a story or post that you don't want to see. :)Oh, I see. From the sound of your OP, you didn't even want to see the thread title.

Kittydreamer
01-20-12, 05:40 PM
thank you whomever changed my thread title :)

auto
01-20-12, 10:36 PM
If we can't get tapatalk, pretty sure we're not getting this. :lol:

Ranger
01-20-12, 10:40 PM
I'm tired of those Florida threads, too.

IBobi
01-23-12, 01:45 PM
I'll ping tech about it; I've never seen this functionality in VB but it might be hidden. Let's not hold our collective breath though ;)

Kittydreamer
01-23-12, 01:46 PM
Thank you :) I appreciate your efforts.

IBobi
01-23-12, 06:41 PM
The reply from tech is that it could be implemented but for a site with as large a database as DVDTalk it would negatively impact site performance.

Unless there is a very big groundswell of support, it's doubtful we'd do it.

Paul

Michael Corvin
01-24-12, 09:03 AM
I've never seen this functionality in VB but it might be hidden.

:rimshot:

Kittydreamer
01-24-12, 09:07 AM
The reply from tech is that it could be implemented but for a site with as large a database as DVDTalk it would negatively impact site performance.

Unless there is a very big groundswell of support, it's doubtful we'd do it.

Paul

:(

Nick Danger
02-05-12, 05:28 PM
Good Lord! It would make the forum even slower?

Sorry, Kitty.

story
02-05-12, 06:21 PM
I don't really use the ignore button so I don't know if this is already happening, but if there's a user who is the usual suspect in starting these sorts of threads and you put them on ignore, do you still see any threads they start in the list? If so, I wonder if that's something which can be incorporated into the ignore feature.

Michael Corvin
02-06-12, 09:06 PM
I don't really use the ignore button so I don't know if this is already happening, but if there's a user who is the usual suspect in starting these sorts of threads and you put them on ignore, do you still see any threads they start in the list? If so, I wonder if that's something which can be incorporated into the ignore feature.

Try it out and report back. :)

story
02-07-12, 12:26 AM
Did someone say something? I can't see it. :D

Th0r S1mpson
02-08-12, 06:20 PM
It would be awesome to remove threads you have no interest in.

Meglos
02-10-12, 01:18 PM
It would be awesome to remove threads you have no interest in.

:thumbsup: There was one over a month ago about ...erm, microwaves that put me off of visiting Otter for awhile...