Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Contraband (2012) -- S: Wahlberg, Beckinsale, Ribisi D: Komakur -- Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Contraband (2012) -- S: Wahlberg, Beckinsale, Ribisi D: Komakur -- Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Synopsis:

Chris Farraday long ago abandoned his life of crime, but after his brother-in-law, Andy, botches a drug deal for his ruthless boss, Tim Briggs, Chris is forced back into doing what he does best -- running contraband -- to settle Andy's debt. Chris is a legendary smuggler and quickly assembles a crew with the help of his best friend, Sebastian, to head to Panama and return with millions in counterfeit bills.

Things quickly fall apart and with only hours to reach the cash, Chris must use his rusty skills to successfully navigate a treacherous criminal network of brutal drug lords, cops and hit men before his wife, Kate, and sons become their target.
Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3sYntGCj8R0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Opens today. Surprised there is no thread for this. Going to go see it tonight. Hopefully it's good.
Old 01-13-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: Contraband (2012) -- S: Wahlberg, Beckinsale, Ribisi D: Komakur -- Reviews Thread

Not a remake, correct?
Old 01-13-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Contraband (2012) -- S: Wahlberg, Beckinsale, Ribisi D: Komakur -- Reviews Thread

It was easier when it was just stealing 50 cars.
Old 01-13-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Alright, so I just got back from seeing this.

I had a Free Movie ticket from Regal Cinemas (I have their Rewards card and earned one recently)

It's a good B movie and I would say it's worth seeing as a matinee if your a fan of B action movies. Wahlberg does a good job carrying the movie and is believable as a former con who turned his life around and will do whatever it takes to protect his family including one last job to help to stupid piece of shit brother in law.

The only negatives I could think of were the performances of Giovanni Ribisi and JK Simmons. I've never liked Ribisi and to me he's just not believable as some badass thug. Especially Simmons, who gave a really over the top performance as the ship's captain.

There is a really well directed and exciting shootout sequence in Panama. I would say the most exciting parts of the movie were Wahlberg dealing with the Panamanian Underworld and the counterfeiters.

I would say if you like Heist movies and are a fan of Wahlberg, I would recommend this. If this wasn't really on your radar, but you like Wahlberg, but are too lazy too see it in theatres, I would say rent it.

Overall I would give it a B-

Last edited by DJariya; 01-14-12 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-14-12, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I would say the most exciting parts of the movie were Wahlberg using his street smarts to deal with the Panamanian Underworld.
So they were outwitted by his tough-guy threats and assaults on minorities?
Old 01-14-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wahlberg is/was indeed a swell guy.

http://zzzlist.wordpress.com/2009/08...ties-the-knot/
Old 01-14-12, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opens today. Surprised there is no thread for this. Going to go see it tonight. Hopefully it's good.
Despite popular belief, we do have some semblance of taste on here.
Old 01-14-12, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
So they were outwitted by his tough-guy threats and assaults on minorities?
Okay I know your being snarky due to his reputation, but I could have phrased that a little better.

I meant the parts that I found quite compelling were his dealings with the Panamanian counterfeiters and underworld as opposed to the scenes in New Orleans where most of the movie takes place.

If anyone thinks by the posters or commercials that this is a badass action movie, your going to be disappointed. As I said it's more of a heist movie. The most badass part of the movie was the shooting sequence I mentioned earlier.

I actually thought this was a better action movie than Shooter, which Wahlberg was also the lead in. The plot was alot easier to follow and not as covoluted.

Oh and I don't like Kate Beckinsale as a blonde, which she is here.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-14-12 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-14-12, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Okay I know your being snarky due to his reputation, but I could have phrased that a little better.

I meant the parts that I found quite compelling were his dealings with the Panamanian counterfeiters and underworld as opposed to the scenes in New Orleans where most of the movie takes place.
It was phrased fine; I was an ass for derailing your review for a cheap joke.
Old 01-14-12, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
It was phrased fine; I was an ass for derailing your review for a cheap joke.
It's all good.
Old 01-14-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Not a remake, correct?
Not of Fulci, but it is a remake:

Baltasar Kormákur, who directed Contraband, was the lead in the original.
Old 01-15-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark Wahlberg headlines this new addition to the criminal heist genre, with Chris (Wahlberg) and his gang being really good at smuggling stuff into the country, but trying to go straight until his brother-in-law forces Chris to go back to his smuggling ways one more time to settle a score and save the brother-in-law from harm. Getting back into the swing of things proves to be a little challenging, but Chris and his buddy Sebastian (Ben Foster) overcome obstacles, while the final act deals with a dumb lovestruck subplot with Sebastian having the hots for Chris's wife (Kate Beckingsale). The other weak point is Giovanni Ribisi, who plays the ditziest bad guy on the big in quite a while, fairly not believable in the villain role in this film.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 01-25-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The wife and I caught this a bit earlier today. We enjoyed it. Like DJariya said, it's a good B movie. I agree with everyone about Ribisi though...he wasn't very impressive. Never really been a big fan of his anyway.
Old 03-14-15, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wahlberg [plays] a former con who turned his life around and will do whatever it takes to protect his family ....
I just watched this and I found this comment funny because one thing that stuck out to me was that Wahlberg's "legit" career is the owner of a home security business and yet his family is forced to flee his own home after thugs break in to threaten and assault his wife and kids. During the sequence we see no indication that his own home had any security system at all, no alarms, no cameras, the front door isn't reinforced so it's easily pushed in, and one intruder just walks in the unlocked back door. Keep in mind this is after the gangster threatened to hurt his wife and kids.