Old 01-13-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,646 Posts
Supernatural -- "Time After Time After Time" -- 1/13/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) tangle with the God of Time (guest star Jason Dohring), who sends Dean back to 1944, where he is immediately arrested by none other than the one and only Eliot Ness (guest star Nicholas Lea). While trying to figure out how to retrieve his brother, Sam is surprised by the reappearance of an old friend. Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by Robbie Thompson (#712).

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EaXgsNmTGG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Episode 12 of 23
Old 01-13-12, 05:56 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Supernatural -- "Time After Time After Time" -- 1/13/12

fuck the haters, I'm still enjoying this show quite a bit.
Old 01-13-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked it. It seemed like it could have been more clever but they were mostly playing up the Eliot Ness/mobster angle moreso than time travel.
Old 01-14-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,646 Posts

Very fun time travel episode. It was mostly self contained so anyone could jump into this one.

I enjoyed how they re-wrote history and made Ness a hunter as well. I also thought Dean had some good banter with him. The time God saying their future is filled with black goo was an interesting reference, but I wonder how much truth there was to it. If I had one complaint, the episode ended so abruptly. I wish there was a little more closure with Dean's activities in 1944.

BTW, I saw a tweet that Jared Padalecki will be taking some time off in March because his wife is expected to give birth then. So I'm guessing we should expect some episodes with Sam MIA in the near future.

If Supernatural gets an 8th season, I really think they should lose the seasonal arc and go for more self contained monster/supernatural event of the week like season 1 or 2. I find the episodes with Sam and Dean traveling around the U.S. meeting different people and being put into new awkward situations alot more entertaining. It's pretty obvious that this Leviathan arc is probably the weakest season villain to date.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-14-12 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the Leviathan arc has been deathly dull, but my hope is that they find a way in Season 8 to get us an interesting season arc. I'm just a sucker for shows with deep mythologies and season-long arcs.

I enjoyed the episode, but it looks like the crazy time issues in the previous episode had nothing to do with this episode. Hrm.
Old 01-15-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 822 Likes on 694 Posts

The Leviathan storyline has been horrible, there is no way around it. Dick is the worst Big Bad that Supernatural has used for a season-long villain. He was miscast, the guy does not give off the evil vibe you need, like the actor for Lucifer did in prior seasons.

There is still some funny dialogue and banter, but the plot seems scatter-shot.
Old 01-15-12, 02:02 AM

Fun episioe but I am done with season arcs as well. I'm with DJ on going back to the monster of the week template. They usually lend themselves to more humor and light-hardheartedness overall.

Leviathons is baddddddd....

Last edited by stopgap; 01-15-12 at 02:02 AM. Reason: typo (OCD poster)
Old 01-20-12, 02:58 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

cool ep
Old 01-20-12, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Leviathan storyline has been horrible, there is no way around it. Dick is the worst Big Bad that Supernatural has used for a season-long villain. He was miscast, the guy does not give off the evil vibe you need, like the actor for Lucifer did in prior seasons.
The thing is, I kind of can personally see a little potential in the Leviathans. They're apparently extremely powerful, and I always figured that any group of beings that powerful wouldn't need to bother doing the "mwa-ha-ha, I'm so evil" thing, since they'd know how much stronger they were. That's why I kind of like Dick's nonchalant approach to his scheming.
Old 01-27-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If Supernatural gets an 8th season, I really think they should lose the seasonal arc and go for more self contained monster/supernatural event of the week like season 1 or 2. I find the episodes with Sam and Dean traveling around the U.S. meeting different people and being put into new awkward situations alot more entertaining. It's pretty obvious that this Leviathan arc is probably the weakest season villain to date.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. I'm enjoying this season, but I agree about the weakest villain. I also like the idea of going back to the earlier model of the show. It'd also be nice if they introduced a character that lived for a while. Especially now that we don't have Bobby or Cas. I like the boys, but it'd be nice to have some other recurring characters on the show. Seeing the sheriff this week was a nice surprise.