Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Chinatown - April 3rd!!!!!

PopcornTreeCt
01-10-12, 12:03 PM
According to blu-ray.com (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8006) Chinatown will be released on April 3rd. Paramount will also be releasing Polanski's latest "Carnage" with Kate Winslet.

No specs have been revealed yet.

:D

TheMovieman
01-10-12, 12:06 PM
Features:

- Commentary with Robert Towne and David Fincher
- Water and Power (HD): In this three-part documentary, Robert Towne visits sites along the original Los Angeles Aqueduct for the first time. He is informed of the social and environmental impacts and given insight into the major issues around the creation and ongoing operation of the aqueduct.
- Chinatown: An Appreciation: Chinatown has been hailed as a perfect film.
Robert Towne’s cynical labyrinth of secrets and sin, Roman Polanski at the top of his form, Jack Nicholson in all his glory, Faye Dunaway at her sexiest and most mysterious, John Huston as one of the creepiest and most unrepentant villains of all time, the great cinematography, the wonderful score, the bandage on the nose…
- Chinatown: The Beginning and the End
- Chinatown: Filming
- Chinatown: Legacy
- Theatrical Trailer (HD)

SRP is $24.99

PopcornTreeCt
01-10-12, 12:12 PM
Wow. Awesome, I didn't know the features were released. Good to see them carried from the Centennial collection.

Geofferson
01-10-12, 12:13 PM
I recently watched an HD airing of this (on HDNet Movies, I believe). The movie looked great. Would like to listen to the commentary and watch the documentary.

TheMovieman
01-10-12, 12:15 PM
Wow. Awesome, I didn't know the features were released. Good to see them carried from the Centennial collection.

I got the press release just now along with the artwork:

http://i.imgur.com/hOl8tl.jpg

^ Not sure why the background is like that, it was added by imgur.

BuckNaked2k
01-10-12, 12:20 PM
What about The Two Jakes??

Doctorossi
01-10-12, 12:28 PM

"Meh." That's what.

clckworang
01-10-12, 12:40 PM

:thumbsup:

"Meh." That's what.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if they tossed it in, though.

Shannon Nutt
01-10-12, 03:43 PM
I liked "The Two Jakes". It's no Chinatown, but it's not a bad film.

How many of those extras are brand-new...anyone know?

NoirFan
01-10-12, 03:51 PM
How many of those extras are brand-new...anyone know?

None.

GreenVulture
01-10-12, 04:07 PM
Jack Nicholson DVDTalk account spotted.

None.
The Towne/Fincher commentary, "Water & Power" doc and appreciation featurette all seem to be new. Unless there was another Chinatown DVD release I wasn't made aware of.

NoirFan
01-10-12, 04:11 PM
The Towne/Fincher commentary, "Water & Power" doc and appreciation featurette all seem to be new. Unless there was another Chinatown DVD release I wasn't made aware of.

All ported over from the 2009 Centennial Collection release, reviewed here (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/38605/chinatown/).

Solid Snake
01-10-12, 04:13 PM
yeah...I don't remember there being a Fincher commentary.

EDIT: well fuck...guess it is an older feature. Never got that edition.

GreenVulture
01-10-12, 04:30 PM
All ported over from the 2009 Centennial Collection release
Ah, that would probably explain it as I have never heard of that edition before.

islandclaws
01-10-12, 05:04 PM
On it.

Neeb
01-10-12, 11:07 PM
Sounds great. Probably get it on the day of release.

Though I'd like to see...

1. The deleted "Travel to Catalina" scene showing Gittes on the plane going to visit Noah Cross. Not sure if it was shot and I'm glad it's NOT in the movie, but I'd love to see it as an extra.

2. The script for CLOVERLEAF- the last of the Gittes trilogy.

Shannon Nutt
01-11-12, 12:30 PM
None.

I should have guessed...freakin' Paramount.

NoirFan
01-11-12, 12:51 PM
I should have guessed...freakin' Paramount.

The previous SE seemed pretty comprehensive though, with around 80 minutes of featurettes and a commentary, plus the full-length Water and Power documentary, now in HD. I don't have any complaints.

bigjim25
01-14-12, 10:32 PM
http://cdn3b.dvdempire.org/products/59/1601659h.jpg

MTRodaba2468
01-14-12, 11:26 PM
Will gladly purchase this one...

JAYARE
01-15-12, 09:40 PM
glad i sold my cc on amazon for $60 over the summer

bluetoast
01-16-12, 01:21 AM
Damn I kinda liked that aquamarine color even though it was an imgur mistake.

Superdaddy
03-18-12, 12:34 PM
First impressions of the BD I've found, from Robert Harris over at the HTF.

His praise is lukewarm at best.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319347/a-few-words-about-chinatown-in-blu-ray

Shannon Nutt
03-18-12, 06:32 PM
First impressions of the BD I've found, from Robert Harris over at the HTF.

You'll forgive us if some wait for other reviews/opinions. :)

Superdaddy
03-18-12, 06:34 PM
You'll forgive us if some wait for other reviews/opinions. :)

It was not meant to be the be-all and end-all of reviews. It was, like I said, the first impression I've found. I assume some will be interested.

Shannon Nutt
03-18-12, 06:46 PM
It was not meant to be the be-all and end-all of reviews. It was, like I said, the first impression I've found. I assume some will be interested.

Yeah, I know...and I actually have the utmost respect for Mr. Harris - it's just that I believe he's steered us wrong with a few titles in the past. I'm not suggesting he has other agendas, but I do think sometimes his passion for something (be it good or bad) sometimes gets in the way of his objectivity. We'll have to wait and see with CHINATOWN. Thanks for the link!

Gizmo
03-18-12, 07:00 PM
Smells like sole DNR was applied. Sigh.

Superdaddy
03-18-12, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I know...and I actually have the utmost respect for Mr. Harris - it's just that I believe he's steered us wrong with a few titles in the past. I'm not suggesting he has other agendas, but I do think sometimes his passion for something (be it good or bad) sometimes gets in the way of his objectivity. We'll have to wait and see with CHINATOWN. Thanks for the link!

I hear you. I certainly hope we hear more favorable comments in the next couple of weeks, as like many I am really looking forward to this one. It's a great film!

Shannon Nutt
03-18-12, 07:35 PM
I hear you. I certainly hope we hear more favorable comments in the next couple of weeks

Forget it, Superdaddy...it's Chinatown. ;)

Doctorossi
03-18-12, 11:11 PM
Smells like sole DNR was applied.

:confused:

Is that DNR that sticks to the bottom of your shoe?

Gizmo
03-18-12, 11:57 PM
:confused:

Is that DNR that sticks to the bottom of your shoe?

Some. Damn iPhone spellcheck.

GreenVulture
03-19-12, 12:29 AM
Screenshots from blu-ray.com's review. (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Chinatown-Blu-ray/6098/#Screenshots)

Doctorossi
03-19-12, 09:16 AM
Damn iPhone spellcheck.

I turned it off.

islandclaws
03-24-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Beaver (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews56/chinatown_blu-ray.htm)

Looks solid to me.

Doctorossi
03-24-12, 01:25 PM
Looks solid to me.

Solid, but not spectacular. Could've been spectacular.

OldBoy
04-02-12, 03:25 PM
Anyone know if Target stores will have this tomorrow?

Mr. Cinema
04-03-12, 02:32 PM
from blu-ray.com:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45989&d=1333465729

Superdaddy
04-03-12, 04:31 PM
Anyone know if Target stores will have this tomorrow?

Their web site claims not sold in stores.

I was at mine this morning to pick up War Horse and saw no copies of Chinatown so I guess that's accurate.

Mr. Cinema
04-03-12, 08:46 PM
Their web site claims not sold in stores.

I was at mine this morning to pick up War Horse and saw no copies of Chinatown so I guess that's accurate.
I saw 1 copy at Best Buy and 0 at Walmart. The only other place where I could see this being carried in stores is a place like Barnes and Noble.

Mabuse
04-06-12, 05:50 PM
Sounds great. Probably get it on the day of release.

Though I'd like to see...

1. The deleted "Travel to Catalina" scene showing Gittes on the plane going to visit Noah Cross. Not sure if it was shot and I'm glad it's NOT in the movie, but I'd love to see it as an extra.

2. The script for CLOVERLEAF- the last of the Gittes trilogy.

Can you tell me more about the Catalina scene. It's always interested me that the film makes no reference to Catalina. I mean if the viewer doesn't recognize that it's Catalina he/she would have no idea that Gittes has left the mainland. No one ever says "Catalina". It's strange.

Also, one question about the blu ray: Is the original mono available?

Drexl
04-07-12, 01:46 AM
Also, one question about the blu ray: Is the original mono available?

It looks like it is, according to DVD Beaver. It has a 2.0 TrueHD track listed, but I suspect that's actually mono encoded as 2 channels, so it will come out of the front left and right speakers.

Too bad about the DNR, but it isn't terrible. At least it doesn't have edge enhancement, which combined with DNR makes something look like absolute crap.

Neeb
04-07-12, 03:56 AM
Can you tell me more about the Catalina scene.

Sure. It's something I read in a copy of the script I found when I was in college.
Basically, Gittes takes a seaplane to Catalina and talks to the pilot about Evelyn Mulray. The pilot tells Gittes that there was a story about Evelyn running down to Mexico to have a baby.
It gives away the best scene and I'm glad it's not in the movie, but, if it exists- I'd like to see it.
There's also an exchange between Noah and Gittes before lunch where Noah reflects on how he likes the smell of manure. That I'd welcome back into the movie.

a/v Junkie
04-07-12, 12:11 PM
Fry's has it on sale for $12.99 this week. :D

Mabuse
05-07-12, 04:10 PM
Watched the Blu over the weekend. This is my first experience with a disc that looks like this. Is the artificial look the picture has now due specificly to "DNR"? Clearly they wipped most of the grain out of the picture, is that what DNR is used for? All I know is the picture looks unnatural. I actually manually threw my projector out of focus a tiny bit and it was an improvement. It's not unwatchable, but it's pretty bad. I don't know who would think the film should look like that.

The supplements were excelent.

Drexl
05-07-12, 05:08 PM
Yes, DNR is generally used to remove grain. It removes other detail as well.

BuckNaked2k
05-07-12, 05:25 PM
I don't know who would think the film should look like that.The unwashed masses. People who don't understand what film grain is. People who don't frequent this forum, or others like it.