DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : New Criterion Sale At Amazon

MooMooMooMoo
01-08-12, 09:26 PM
The biggest deal is Variety Lights @ $5.23 (it's also on box 2)

While I think they were cheaper last time, Art House Boxes 1, 3 & 4 are all at $29.99 which is still a great price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000734061

brucehf
01-09-12, 08:04 AM
Alphaville list 29.95 price 31.49?

jwstl
01-09-12, 09:26 AM
Alphaville list 29.95 price 31.49?

31.49 is from a Marketplace seller. Amazon appears to have sold out of them.

ProfessorEcho
01-09-12, 12:22 PM
The ESSENTIAL ART HOUSE line have no extras, right?

jwstl
01-09-12, 12:29 PM
The ESSENTIAL ART HOUSE line have no extras, right?

Correct.

Living Deadpan
01-09-12, 10:01 PM
Jeez, I guess Peeping Tom never became the expensive OOP collector's item sellers were hoping for. I'm surprised I keep seeing these two OOP Michael Powell DVDs on sale. Do you think Peeping Tom would have instigated Salo-esque bid wars had it gone out of print, say, a decade ago? All I know is when I was growing up & before Peeping Tom was released on DVD, it was written of & perceived as a "taboo" film. True, it's not that sensational when compared to shit eating, fascist child molestors.

But I digress...

That's the cheapest I've ever seen those Essential Art House box sets. #4 in particular is a great deal because 3 of those films were never released as full-fledged Criterions (Gervaise, Le Jour Le Seve & Mayerling).

foofighters7
01-09-12, 10:31 PM
I've never seen the point of the Essential Art House line. To me they are a waste of time.

If you can pick them up for 3-4 bucks a piece, maybe. But other than that basically all of the EAH line is available as a normal Criterion release, and if you look you can find most of them used as cheap as the EAH line.
I only own a few EAH dvds. Only the ones not released as part of the Criterion line.

g
01-09-12, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=Living Deadpan;11070388]Jeez, I guess Peeping Tom never became the expensive OOP collector's item sellers were hoping for. I'm surprised I keep seeing these two OOP Michael Powell DVDs on sale. Do you think Peeping Tom would have instigated Salo-esque bid wars had it gone out of print, say, a decade ago?

Amazon must have gotten some deals. They've tried every trick in the book to unload them. They've put them in lightning deals multiple times for one.
I know Small back room always has a terrible sales rank on amazon when it isn't being pushed. There hasn't been that much more interest in peeping tom either unless its being pushed. If they were ever actually able to run out of it, then people might be searching for it hard. Maybe they printed far more then the limited demand there is.

bboisvert
01-10-12, 08:35 AM
I'm definitely surprised that Peeping Tom is still hanging around, seems like that's been 50% off for a long time... I guess it's been out for so long that the market is saturated.

For those who are region-free, it makes for a nice 2-disc set with the UK blu-ray -- unique extras across both discs.

MooMooMooMoo
01-10-12, 04:11 PM
I've never seen the point of the Essential Art House line. To me they are a waste of time.

If you can pick them up for 3-4 bucks a piece, maybe. But other than that basically all of the EAH line is available as a normal Criterion release, and if you look you can find most of them used as cheap as the EAH line.
I only own a few EAH dvds. Only the ones not released as part of the Criterion line.

My assumption has been that EAH are the exact same transfers as the regular Criterions, but missing the "Extras". Am I incorrect?

Gobear
01-10-12, 05:03 PM
My assumption has been that EAH are the exact same transfers as the regular Criterions, but missing the "Extras". Am I incorrect?

Yes, that is correct.

MooMooMooMoo
01-10-12, 10:35 PM
Then I'm fine with them. While i do watch a lot of the bonus stuff, imo much of it (Not all) is a waste of time. I think I enjoy Talking Heads the band more then Talking Heads in dvd extras!

Harold Chasen
01-11-12, 07:03 PM
Meh. Got my copy of Variety Lights today - floater with broken disc mount rattling around. And I didn't notice that the one I ordered was only fulfilled by Amazon, so refunds only, no replacement. But I was able to go back and find the sold by Amazon copy for about a quarter more and re-order it on sale.